Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo boxes?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey just wondering if anyone has tried the MTM R-100 ammo boxes and adding a couple of small u bolts and a lock to that box would be fine on SAA. It would be a heck of alot lighter than most other boxes, what do you guys think?>

Posts: 14 | Location: Ssakatchewan | Registered: 13 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally use 20 round plastic ammo boxes and put them in a Pelican case. More secure and fluid proof.

I use TSA locks just in case they want to look inside it.

I also carry extra TSA locks in case they cut those off.

It is a little heavier.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use TSA locks just in case they want to look inside it.

I also carry extra TSA locks in case they cut those off.

Anticipation of almost certain incompetence at the usual places. Wink

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I use a Pelican case with plastic MTM ammo boxes and use Master locks with a key. If they really want/need to look in your ammo box, they will come and find you. They can xray it and see everything.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450/400

I used to bet like you that the TSA would get off their fat overpaid ass and find me or page me. A fools pipe dream. I have the destroyed locks to prove it. In fact they destroyed the locks and then likely shipped my ammunition unlocked. I say likely because they are just stupid enough to destroy the locks before they put it on the carousel for me to pick up. Never assume intelligence in humans.

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
TSA checked my ammo in Dallas. I locked the case. They said, "If there's a problem, you'll have to open it again, I said, OK by me."

In London the Xrayed it.

On the way home, nobody cared about the ammo. At Heathrow, they paged me and an officer walked me down on the tarmac where 5 officers had me open my double case so they could look at my Heym 450/400, thanked me and then had me lock it up again.

The TSA locks are easy for theives to open. I'll take my chances with the Master locks.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ammo I carry in a Pelican was inside my checked baggage, or inside a TufPak with my rifles.

Rules change but I have never flown ANYWHERE without ammo in the same case as my rifle.

Do not ask how much my ammo weighs as that is CLASSIFIED.

Never had a problem.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I also just bought a Pelican case for my ammo. I like them.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the Pelican case, mine has the Browning stamp on it. Room for 60 rounds plus other "sharps", flashlight, some 1st aid items and the like. Will lock it with Master locks. If the powers that be in JoBerg make me ship it on to Mozambique by itself should be no problem as a self contained unit?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I find that a standard military 50 cal ammo can with one of the little locking chingaderas to be just fine. Cheap and very tough. I usually end up leaving them with the PH along with any left over ammo. Seems to be appreciated.

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I recently took my ammo in a lockable aluminum camera case that I bought at Sportsman's Warehouse. It is very light, and easily held 3 boxes of rifle ammo. Also, since it is made to carry cameras or other delicate gear, it has removable foam rubber blocks that you can take out to customize any configuration that you wish. It is a great, lightweight, strong, little case and cost less than $50.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up an lockable ammo box from cabela's for about $28. It looks like it can hold around 6 boxes of ammo if not more. Also comes with foam inserts.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last time I travel to Africa with a gun and ammo was two years ago. I put the ammo in a metal coin box with a cheap box. I figure if they want in they will get in. Is this metal box no longer acceptable and should I look at getting another type of box? I got the idea of doing my ammo this way from the AR forum.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Above posting should have read cheap lock not cheap box.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Like h kittle, I have gone for the minimum ammo box to save crippling excess-baggage costs. Mine is a light aluminium case made to hold 80 CDs in soft sleeves. It has a lock but if the bad dudes want to, they'll get into it. Hopefully, it will be heavy enough to pass muster with authorities.

That officials can break padlocks and then just send cases along without being relocked somehow makes a joke of the whole locking requirement.

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Recently used a plastic case that a pistol came in. Weighed less than one pound and was pre-drilled for lock. Held 25 rounds of 458 and 60 rounds of 375.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote