New
Find
Notify
Tools

I can't BELIVE I forgot it!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm getting ready for my first trip to Africa. I have the same bastard who introduced me to fly fishing to thank for this newest addiction.

Anyway, I'm a list maker, and I'm making up my packing list. I was wondering what things people really wished they had packed once they arrived in Africa. I have the basics on my list, but I wanted to ping the more experienced folks out there to see what things they really wished they had brought with them.

So lets hear it!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
I wish I had taken less. Didn't really have a need for rangefinder, knives, etc. A good set of binoculars, camera, rifle, ammo, a couple of changes of clothes and good hiking boots is all you need.

I'll travel a lot lighter on my next trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one safari to my credit and I will take less next time. If you have pounds left over in your airline allowance, use it for smokes,candy, ect for the staff. Your booking agent probably has a list he reccomends

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Overpacking for sure.

Save room for hard candy for the staff, trackers, drivers, etc. They really enjoy it.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to take a soft case for my rifle to protect it in the truck. The PH did have one he let me borrow.

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A white woman

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted Hide Post
My Tracker, skinners, and PH loved GUM...it was a tradition after lunch we'd pass around sticks of chewing gum for everyone to enjoy.

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like most everyone, I took more than I needed. The main thing I would take next time that I didn't this time is a broad brimmed hat, rather than just a cap. The extra shade can be nice. Make sure it has a chin strap, as you will likely have occasion to ride in an open vehicle. Next time I would also take a few inexpensive but functional folding hunting knives. They make popular gifts.

I like the chewing gum idea! Come to think of it, I didn't see anyone chewing gum; and it must seem a small luxury to most people who live both off the beaten path and on very limited incomes.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
I'm fighting a hunge urge to take everything with me that I would normally take to my deer lease here in Texas. However, after talking to numerous experienced people, I have decided to take only 2 rifles (458 lott & 375 h&h),plenty of ammo,sunglasses, large hat, binocs, 1 knife,camara,bug spray,sun block, 2 pair of shoes, gu performance gel, 4 change of clothes (2 in checked baggage, 2 on carry on) and the essentials to maintain my rifles.

The hard candy and gum sound like great ideas!

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
I know where to get the candy and gum, but I don't smoke. So do you buy the smokes at the duty free store or the nearest Indian Res. smokeshop and does brand matter( Camel vs Winston or Marlboro)? And how much tobacco can you take into Tanzania?

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
RobH: Devildawg66 has it right.

I'm headed back in 3 weeks. Only thing additional is I'm taking smarterthanu's suggestion. Only PROBLEM is, the white women that will pack that light are few and far between. Mine ain't that model.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Hey, one cheap thing I did remember that my PH seemed to like - go to a fabric store and buy a couple of those cloth measuring tapes, I think they're around 59 cents. Not that I'm a real "have to measure the horns right now" kinda guy, but my PH seemed to appreciate something he could throw in the glove box and have for the next client, instead of estimating and waiting until they got back to the skinning shed.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the above suggestions will be well received, but adults will always find the ways or money to get a lot of that stuff. They really do enjoy it, but it is not necessary.

We actually loaded one entire suitcase with our grandchildren's used books, toys, and coloring books and took to the village. The kids were in heaven and the mothers had tears in their eyes for all the stuff they were able to have. Then we used the suitcase to haul all the souvenirs home!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
Mr. Blank

Your suggestion is the best thing I have ever read on this forum. I have a son and seeing his expression when he gets a toy or book just melts my heart. I'll make sure to bring crayons, coloring books and toys to the children whom I'm sure will really love them.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve_robinson:
I know where to get the candy and gum, but I don't smoke. So do you buy the smokes at the duty free store or the nearest Indian Res. smokeshop and does brand matter( Camel vs Winston or Marlboro)? And how much tobacco can you take into Tanzania?
i buy cigarettes on the plane( 2 cartons). 90% plus of black african men smoke and 30-40% women too. i have the PH tell all the guys on the truck that every time they spot a good trophy, they get a pack of smokes.believe me they are all eyes after that! the ones who don't smoke just barter theirs away to those that do. hard candy also is much appreciated too. i always carry old t-shirts with U.S.logos to wear around camp and leave those behind when i go.(Harley Davidson shirts seem to be a big hit). pack light -a total of 4 sets of clothes( 2 for traveling and 2 for hunting is enough). leave the gadgets at home

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13433 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Baby Wipes! Carry a dispenser full and each morning put a few in a zip-lock bag... use them both as a hand/face towel and as toilet paper to avoid a chapped butt (but not in reverse order!).

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7698 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 more things hit my head - #1 your pillow from home, makes sleeping more comfortable, and #2 in you carry on a wash cloth and a change of tee shirts, something to freshen up with on that damn long ride. also in packing those plastic bags that you vaccuum the air out of sure compact things nicely

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is great stuff, Thanks!!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make my own wipes using cloth. Much more effective.
50% witch hazel
40% water
10% glycerine

All available any drug store.

My last safari I had one rifle and all my stuff (except carry-on) in the gun case. 49# total.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Coffee and a travel french press. Coffee in Africa sux. (Of course I'm a coffee snob/addict and always take this with me when traveling)

Also a prescription sleep aid. Between both of these I'm able to combat jet lag pretty well.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Don't forget some type of "truck bag" to carry your stuff to and keep in the hunting vehicle. In it I keep a spare set of glasses, binocs, glass cleaner wipes, hard candy, smokes, TP, baby wipes, camera, extra ammo, etc.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Part of the lure of Africa is being in an environment where life is much simpler. Take only the clothes you need, your rifle, ammo, good binos, tools for the rifle, meds, and appropriate "hospitality" gifts for PH wives and staff. You're in Africa. Enjoy it for what it is. The tough guys of long-ago Africa got by with much, much less.
PS........Brice: Do you REALLY make your own toilet wipes? Wow.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a bunch of my favorite energy bar and took even more the second trip ... the light lunch in the morning and hunting to past noon would have been tough for me without the bars.

The staff really liked them too.

Also, I noticed on my last trip that not that many of the younger staff actually smoked. However, they were almost all "willing" to try a cigar so I doubled up the next trip and still ran a little short toward the end. I don't drink but I do enjoy a good cigar or two at the end of the day.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kinds of gifts are appreciated by the PH wives?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another suggestion -

Leave everything behind when you leave - clothes, toiletries, spare shoes, socks, belts, caps, ammo.

Obviously you cannot leave your gun, but you can leave your scope and other gear that you can easily replace.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TWL-Yes, and if you want to know why, I can go into a bit of detail. Want a PM? I didn't think so.)

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I usually take a trip to any of the Dollar Stores and pick up crayons, colored pencils and small toys. Bags of hard candy, gum and any of my old shirts, especially those that are brightly colored. These make excellent gifts for children and your Trackers. Instead of cigarettes, take boxes of rolling papers. You want to light up a Trackers eyes, give him a few packs of cig papers. If he doesn't smoke he will trade them to those that do. They normally use newspaper to roll cigs. You are confined to 200 cigarettes on flights (one carton) so if you want to buy cigs for gifts, get them at the airport (Jo'burg) or in local towns, but the airport is usually much cheaper. Stocking caps are big too. As for the Trackers wife, colorful scarf's are appreciated. For the PH, money! If his wife is in camp, take her a quality manicure set. Get a good one that includes tweezers, scissors, clippers, and a diamond dust nail file. I like to take a small, hand held metal detector. I sell them for $24.95 and they make finding a bullet lodged in game very easy. When you leave, give it to your PH. The Tracker will appreciate not having to dig through a gut pile trying to locate Bwana's bullet. Good hunting, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6823 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When do we start taking gifts for the PH's parents and grandparents? How do you know prior to leaving if you are going to be in an area with "natives" other then the trackers and game scouts. On my last hunt the head tracker lived one to two days travel from the camp. There were no kids around in any of the three camps I hunted from this past spring. I just take some candy and gum for my use and share it with hunting staff.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Rob H
Fill out your weight allowance with gifts for someone in Africa. Can be candy, gum, toys or could be gently used clothing (go with slim sizes, by the way) from Goodwill or your own closet. Lots of excellent suggestions on this thread already.

Whatever you take, your rewards will be large when you see how they're appreciated.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob H,

What does HT know!? He's only been to the hunting Promised Land 6 or 7 times. He is also responsible for getting me hooked on hunting the Dark Continent. I don't know whether to thank him or cuss him.

You will feel the same way about me come the middle of September.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
This is the voice of experience.

Figure out your money needs, and take an extra $5-600 above and beyond. Tips, extra animal, 100%teak dining table, it always happens.

If you don't spend it, then bank upon your return.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions so far but take extra chapstick, artificial tears, saline nose spray,,,,anything that you might need in a dessert. Everything gets dry in the dry season. I took a lot of costume jewlery from flea markets, friends and gave to the trackers for their "wives" it made them very popular..and tok up very little room or weight on the flight over..

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good flashlight (torch, for our international friends), and a good Leatherman, or knock-off of a Leatherman, tool. I used my Leatherman screwdriver and needlenose pliars for various repairs around camp.

When you leave for home, leave both behind for your PH.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatoraide powder was a big hit, bottled water gets a bit bland after a while, the electolytes and sugar give you a nice bump.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never thought of Gatoraide powder. Great idea! On my first Safari, I asked if there was bottled water available, there was, poured into the same bottle out of the same well everday. I never had a problem drinking it and directly out of the well the water was safe and tasted good, hauling it around in a plastic bottle in the heat all day reminded me of drinking out of a water hose in the summer, not to tasty but very important to have. One of the power aid powders would of made a great improvement. I will have some on my next trip.. drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With only one under my belt, Im certanly no expert, but I did learn heaps of what I didnt need, If I went again this would be my entire list.
Rifle, Full allowance of ammo permitted, 1 pair camo pant, 1 camo airmesh shirt, 2 camo hats(I have a habit of losing mine Confused )4 underwear,4 pair socks,boots, binos,camera, knife(gave mine away to the skinner/tracker at the end), ammo pouch, belt,Light windproof jacket(cold mornings) Lip Blam(I have NEVER suffered from cracked lips in my life untill I went to Namibia),Sunblock 30+, moisturiser cream,paracetamols 200+, US$,camera charger, power point converters,blank CD-Rs to back up photos or some other form to create back ups of photos That would be essentials!
I got a carton of smokes through Duty Free, I gave them away randomly to my only tracker during the trip, and to the other skinners back at camp( they did bugger all really) I also took some tee shirts and caps with us to give to other staff. We knew that they had some kids so my wife took colouring books and pencils(CRAYONS MELT!!!) We took some nice stuff for our guide and wife to give them at the end, Thats all really.
Theres all ways bottled water there, Drink heaps. And if its half decent there will be a laundry service so PACK LIGHT!!
A couple of tee shirts, shorts, sandles, pants.
personal meds.
My wife and I were away for 5 weeks and this is about all we needed.
It just depends on where you are going for other gear but what ever you need PACK LIGHT!!

Hope this helps
Runas.

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This last trip I took a box of Russel Green River skinning knives, the guys that do the hard work were happy. I did this because on the first trip to this same PH's operation I noticed that the skinners were struggling with a mixed bag of really crappy knives. Otherwise I leave cash, they can buy their own cigs or whatever else they want or need.

In general I try to pay attention to what's going on and then ship some stuff down "for Christmas". Yes, it's more expencive than bringing it along but this way I've seen what's needed and wanted. Example: Lens pens with the retractable brush to clean the dust out of the trackers binocs. Big hit. Cost? Hey, if you can spend $K's on a trip $100 on shipping is nothing.

When I was guiding I had a few clients that left me a nice tip but more importantly sent me something they thought I could actually use from their personal observations during our time together. I appreciated that a great deal, not that everything was all that useful, but the thought really does count for something, at least for me.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
2 digital cameras, in case one breaks down, plenty of batteries.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote