New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Best" Mauser action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, thanks for posting the photos of that Wiebe rifle. I've seen the same thing done by Dorleac as well.
It's weird how years ago the Mauser hump was seen as ugly and had to be removed at all costs, now it is a thing of beauty.
It does make fitting a rear base painful but on an open sight rifle it looks the best.
Grenadier, great idea, or just file a v into it.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Is there a "best" Mauser action to use for a custom rifle?

The most coveted 98 actions of old, are by far the commercial square bridge versions from oBerndorf.

The ZG47 are also nice, but some can have war-time shortcut machining methods.
Function is not effected, but they do not match the care and detail seen in an Oberndorf commercial.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trax: The ZG47 are also nice, but some can have war-time shortcut machining methods.
Production was 1950-1962.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
quote:
Trax: The ZG47 are also nice, but some can have war-time shortcut machining methods.
Production was 1950-1962.

Commercial production for ZG47 (and also its commercial small rings) was indeed post war, thats not disputed.
However,
Brno used wartime production tooling and machinery!... Brno even used mil. surplus late WW2 production receivers and bolts.
One can see obvious shortcut wartime production methods in samples of ZG47s and also the commercial small ring Brnos.

They are still fully functional desirable actions, but they are not the equal of an Oberndorf.

- Now you've learnt something you didn't know... tu2

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
One can see obvious shortcut wartime production methods in samples of ZG47s

Please provide me with specifics. I only have 28 of these from every production year and can't find any.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
... I only have 28 of these from every production year and can't find any.

then either you don't know mausers well enough , or your rifles are not any of the ZGs
production runs that were completed using wartime components.
If you examined zG47s with the fast war-production type machining, the difrences to
an Oberndorf or even 1909, will be obvious.

The small ring commercial Brnos wartime production origins are also obvious.

quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
Those devious Czechs must have anticipated the ZG47 and built the dovetailed receivers
during the war before the action was invented.

ZG47s receivers in some manufacturing runs, were completed into actions using war production bolts.

There are also Brno commercial small ring factory made rifles released, that were completed using
war production bolts and receivers.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
donttroll

Mike

Posts: 21215 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trax:
then either you don't know mausers well enough , or your rifles are not any of the ZGs
production runs that were completed using wartime components.
If you examined zG47s with the fast war-production type machining, the difrences to
an Oberndorf or even 1909, will be obvious.
A guy who doesn't own a Mauser, never seen a ZG47, never built a custom rifle, gets all his information in his mother's basement using Google, etc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Is there a "best" Mauser action to use for a custom rifle?

MR.MASKAYEV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you must have "tons of money" if you own more than one of the new era mauser-style actioned rifles.

Being one of those seniors on a fixed income, I have to shop.

My old FN round count in 375 H&H Imp is now nearing 800 rounds. Still hasn't killed me. If it stays together much longer, I may have to have it blued, and the stock finished...

I really do like the VZ-24. I found another one recently, and it is coming to live with me in about a week. It is stamped 1940 on the front ring, and looks to not ever have been built or even barreled.

In the end, consensus here is that whatever you decide on will be as close to perfect as you can make it.

regards, and thanks to all,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best (along with g33/40) for a narrow and lightweight stalking rifle:

Ralph Martini has pics, on his website, of the most beautiful g33/40 barrelled action. David Wesbrook was supposed to stock it at some point. Any photos of the completed rifle show up anywhere?
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peru 32

Maker Gernot Walther

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rare as hens teeth! Exquisite. Those open grips make my heart swoon!
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should know that Gernot Walther is the stockmaker for Hartmann und Weiss

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best Mauser action?. I know we are talking about M98s right?.

Well I would say one of the best actions made by Mauser was their Model 66S. Take all cartridges up to COL 3,75" and .416Rigby size cases.
It was one of the most expensive projects Mauser had put their hands on. Only some 70000s were made. The rifle has a switchbarrel system.
Here is one in 6,5x68.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
you must have "tons of money" if you own more than one of the new era mauser-style actioned rifles.

Being one of those seniors on a fixed income, I have to shop.

My old FN round count in 375 H&H Imp is now nearing 800 rounds. Still hasn't killed me. If it stays together much longer, I may have to have it blued, and the stock finished...

I really do like the VZ-24. I found another one recently, and it is coming to live with me in about a week. It is stamped 1940 on the front ring, and looks to not ever have been built or even barreled.

In the end, consensus here is that whatever you decide on will be as close to perfect as you can make it.

regards, and thanks to all,

Rich

MR.MASKAYEV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the length of the magnum Mauser action as used by Rigby in the 375 and 416? Where are the measurements taken? Did Rigby ever use a modified standard action for the 375? Thanks.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lowgun:
What is the length of the magnum Mauser action as used by Rigby in the 375 and 416? Where are the measurements taken? Did Rigby ever use a modified standard action for the 375? Thanks.

Not sure about Rigby, but Holland has made a whole lot of 375's on standard actions. Most of the other London and Birmingham makers have done so, as well.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Matt.

It would appear, Trax not withstanding, that the "Perfect Mauser Action" is either the one you last built/bought, or the one you are contemplating for your next build/buy.

Cartridge OAL based, of course.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
This is an original, pre-World War I, single square bridge, slant box, stepped receiver ring Oberndorf Magnum Mauser action.

This is a .350 Rigby Magnum built on the above action.

[url=http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/xausa/media/Heym%20Mauser/Oberndorf%20Mauser/Rigby%20.350%20Magnum%20001_zps8avzplld.jpg.html]

That is a thing of beauty! I would give my left nut for that.
The lines and the grace of that rifle are superb. Not to mention a classy chambering. The stock from butt to the no cap fore end is magnificent. Nothing gaudy, just exquisite grace and not too distracting wood. Some wood looks like it should be a safe queen but this one screams "I dare you to ding and scratch me in the Dark Continent. I have a new goal for a custom build now. Thanks. dancing

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27598 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lowgun:

Measured my H&H Magnum Mauser action (1913 rifle) about 12mm to 1/2" longer than a standard (09) action.

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What good is the "best" Mauser action if it is not readily available?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, lindy2,

buy a pair of same model 98's, and angle cut them about 1/2" past centerline on a 45-degree angle. Make a magnum length action out of one, and a short (really short) action out of the other.

One of the best gunsmiths I have ever known did this about 30 years ago, because he wanted a 6PPC for BR and his wife wanted a baby. Silly woman!

He won local BR matches in the SLC area.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That sounds cool!
I bet it would be expensive today.

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Okay, lindy2,

buy a pair of same model 98's, and angle cut them about 1/2" past centerline on a 45-degree angle. Make a magnum length action out of one, and a short (really short) action out of the other.

One of the best gunsmiths I have ever known did this about 30 years ago, because he wanted a 6PPC for BR and his wife wanted a baby. Silly woman!

He won local BR matches in the SLC area.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27598 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cost today, is largely dependent on the fame of the builder.

A shop with 3-axis CNC machinery can do this in about an hour per action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a good available, affordable starting point:

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/98mauseractionturkish.aspx

Large ring small shank receiver for $20.

quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
What good is the "best" Mauser action if it is not readily available?

Posts: 3678 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote