New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man Eating Tiger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got a book of useless info from a friend of mine, it's basically a book of random trivia.
However, it has a section on animals and it said that between 1902 and 1907 the same Tiger killed 436 people in India.
Does anyone know anything about this particular case?
My dad told me that he's fairly sure that Jim Corbitt killed the Tiger but he's not 100% sure.
Just curious. Thanks.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
The book you want to read is "Man eaters of Kumaon" by Jim Corbett.

The "Champawat Tiger" was a female Bengal Tiger shot in 1911 by Jim Corbett. She was allegedly responsible for 436 documented deaths in Nepal and the Kumaon area of India.

Corbetts book is a pretty darn good read, one thing I noticed myself doing when I first read it a long time ago was (being jaded from reading other gunwriters) finding myself a little skeptical at some of his writings, and then you start thinking that while some people write stuff, this guy actually went and not only hunted man-eaters but killed them, and not just a few but a bunch! In fact, 3 tigers and a leopard that he killed had cumulatively killed over a thousand people.

Anyway, have your local library find a copy for you if you find this stuff interesting.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Corbitt spent many weeks at a time hunting these man-eaters, and he would occasionally have to give up, take a break for a few months, and return.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez, And I expected pictures of a man eating a tiger. I kinda wondered if he used a barbecue sauce or what? dancing

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
The book you want to read is "Man eaters of Kumaon" by Jim Corbett.

The "Champawat Tiger" was a female Bengal Tiger shot in 1911 by Jim Corbett. She was allegedly responsible for 436 documented deaths in Nepal and the Kumaon area of India.

Corbetts book is a pretty darn good read, one thing I noticed myself doing when I first read it a long time ago was (being jaded from reading other gunwriters) finding myself a little skeptical at some of his writings, and then you start thinking that while some people write stuff, this guy actually went and not only hunted man-eaters but killed them, and not just a few but a bunch! In fact, 3 tigers and a leopard that he killed had cumulatively killed over a thousand people.

Anyway, have your local library find a copy for you if you find this stuff interesting.

I got a copy of that book from the library & read it when I was a teenager. (that was a looong time ago)

I can still remember 1 story where he shot a cat & knocked a silver dollar sized piece out of it's skull.

He trailed the cat & later shot it as it was set to ambush him.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Thanks for the info, I will look that up.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Corbett added to his tales in "More Man-eaters of Kumaon" which I think is a better book, and has more about himself in it. You get a better idea of what he did but also why he did it. He eventually put the rifle down and took up the film camera. He was the first person to take movies of wild tiger, including cubs with their mother. His stalking skills were incredible. He served with the British Army in World War 1, having been born and brought up in India, and became one of the officer instructors under the command of Major Hesketh Pritchard at the first military sniper school which was formed in about 1916 I think, based in northern France. A fascinating man and seemingly posessed of huge courage.

Posts: 51 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I remember reading Corbett's books at high school and was fascinated by them then. Just resurrected them again from the local library and they still stir the hunting instincts when reading. Corbett was certainly a man of great courage and hunting prowess.
Another great hunter of maneating leopards (panthers as they were called in India) and tigers was Kenneth Anderson who operated in the south of India (Corbett was in the north close to Nepal). Similar writing style to Corbett and again a very astute and brave hunter. He wrote a few books, I have "The Black Panther of Sivanipalli" which contains stories on several panthers and tigers that Anderson hunted and shot over the years.

Corbett at times seemed to be a bit of a bumbling hunter, making a few mistakes and nearly getting himself killed a few times whereas Anderson, a Scotsman in the vein of those great African hunters Bell and Hunter, seemed to be a bit more organised and skilled in his approach.

Nevertheless both men led fascinating and exciting lives lives when on the trail of maneaters and make great reads.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years back, SCI had a 5 set book of Corbett's books they are great.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote