Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser&Krag
 Login/Join

posted
Did a little shooting with two of my rifles today, a Carl Gustaf Mauser M96 and a Kongsberg Krag-Jörgensen M94. The CG was made in 1916, all parts are matching numbers. The Krag is a tad older, made in 1912, not matching numbers but in really good condition.

Rifles on display prior to the shooting.

Three shots on 300 meters with the CG Mauser.

Three shots with the Krag on 300 meters.

I dont know how big your matchboxes are over there, but in Sweden they are 2.25 inches in lenght Wink These old rifles can still shoot well, the Mauser outshoots all of my current rifles. Not bad for a 92 year old gun. Smiler

Posts: 42 | Location: Kingdom of Sweden | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice shootin,its just amazing what them ole guns can do.modern machines and metal cannot make a new one shoot that good without spending thousands.those two guns look to be in nice shape.

posted Hide Post
Yes they are in very good shape, i would say mint condition for both of them. The Swedish Mausers are very cheap in their motherland do, i paid 100 dollars for my CG M96, a fairly standard price.

Posts: 42 | Location: Kingdom of Sweden | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I had an old 96 turkish that had been rebarreled to 7mm, restocked, drilled and tapped, scoped and sporterstocked. It was a very fine shooter. Some of my old SMLE and No4's shoot pretty good. The jungle carbine has to be the worst shooting (for accuracy)military rifle I have ever shot. would love to shoot a Krag or a Carl Gustaf M96.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not just a Mauser but a swedish Mauser. Wink

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Krags, don't have a Norwegian one yet, but I'm still looking. Smiler

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes the Krag is a sweet rifle, the action is very smooth to operate, better than most more modern rifles. And WAY better than the Swedish Mauser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with everything you said Mike, and I really enjoy hunting with mine. I've got a thing for 6.5 caliber holes, so one day when the wife's not looking, the Norwegian will be mine. Nothing wrong with Swedish Mausers either of course, hell I really need one of those as well.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yep not much that beats the 6.5 when it comes to medium game, works fine on big game as well. I have three 6.5x55 rifles and I'm getting yet another one soon. Haven't hunted anything with my Krag, but the season hasn't started yet.

And when it comes to the Swedish Mauser, if it looses some points when it comes to the feel of the action, it makes up for it with accuracy. Like I said, it outshoots all of my other rifles, groups of 3-4 inches at 300 meters are normal if I do my part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The US Krags are some of the finest finished military rifles I have seen. There was a gunsmith that used to post here who said the rails and boltways were all hand finished and polished.

I'd love to have one of any variety, but especially a US that has been hacked up a bit- that way I won't feel bad about altering it a little.

I want to use cast bullets and hunt deer with it.

The Norwegian and Danish Krags have the bolt root fit into the receiver, and actually serve as a real locking lug, unlike the US rifles, I believe.

That's some good shooting from two classics.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah sir, the 6.5s can really get it done, currently I have a 6.5-284, and a 6.5 jap. Suprising how well the little 6.5 jap handles things, mine happens to be a type I that somebody mangled by cutting the stock, and bending the bolt. I finished it by cutting the barrel back to 21" and adding a scout type scope. This sucker shoots little groups, kills what is decently hit, and kicks like a Red Rider BB gun.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The Norwegian and Danish Krags have the bolt root fit into the receiver, and actually serve as a real locking lug, unlike the US rifles, I believe.

Yes it's true, that and better steel makes the Norwegian Krag stronger (but not strong!) than the American Krag.

I only shoot light loads in mine, one load is a 100 grains bullet at 2800-2850 fps. No need for heavy loads in the long Krag barrel, you'll get good velocity with light bullets anyway. The second load is a 155 grains bullet at 2350 fps, in princip the same load as the rifle was made for.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah sir, the 6.5s can really get it done, currently I have a 6.5-284, and a 6.5 jap. Suprising how well the little 6.5 jap handles things, mine happens to be a type I that somebody mangled by cutting the stock, and bending the bolt. I finished it by cutting the barrel back to 21" and adding a scout type scope. This sucker shoots little groups, kills what is decently hit, and kicks like a Red Rider BB gun.

That sounds like a sweet little rifle, you wouldn't happend to have a picture of it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'll take one, and post later, (actually I'll have to get my wife to post for me & I'll pay attention this time) it's really not much to look at. The Type I is of course a Carcano rifle (Italian) built for the Japaneese during World War II. This particular rifle has put to bed all the negative stuff I've heard about Carcanos over the years. Should have known anything built by Beretta has to be good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, here is my 6.5 jap, told you it wasn't pretty, just effective.

posted Hide Post
Yes it looks like a effective litle rifle. Smiler Ever thoght about having it re-stocked? It would look great with a laminate one Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hadn't given it much though, but you're right. Of course the cost would be more that the rifle is worth. But then again the scope is more than the rifle is worth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155
The jungle carbine has to be the worst shooting (for accuracy)military rifle I have ever shot. would love to shoot a Krag or a Carl Gustaf M96.

I had jungle carbine once and it was a pretty decent shooter. Never even thought about shooting it a 300 meters, but at 100-150 yds was pretty decent. I heard though that it was hit or miss with this gun, some would shoot and others wouldn't.