New
Find
Notify
Tools

1958 - 28 days in the Cassiars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As you may have seen on the African Hunting forum, I have been scanning some old hunting photos from trips my grandfather made over the years. Below are some from a 28 day trip in the Cassiars in 1958. They took Stone Sheep, Mountain Goat, Caribou, a couple of Grizzlies, and at least one moose. Unfortunately, I don't have many details about the hunt yet. My grandfather's good friend, Erwin Bauer, did write several stories about this trip in various hunting magazines - I am still sorting through the articles. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Brant

Posts: 76 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply grand! And to think those old boys did it all in wool and walnut...

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
amazing, thanks for sharing

Posts: 50 | Location: Winfield, KS | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
loved em.. sure would enjoy sharing a campfire with your grandfather

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely fantastic. My dream hunt, to be sure. What a great way to remember a fine gentleman.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ahh the good life amazing photos thanks for sharing would like to read the story again thanks for sharing

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
What a grand trip. Some of those photos look familiar, I must have seen them published before. Thanks for sharing these photos along with those you posted in the African Hunting Forum.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What great pictures can you imagine being there with them what a thrill dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
Simply grand! And to think those old boys did it all in wool and walnut...

... and without GPS and other modern stuff!

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Wonderful trip. When was Art Dubs' trip to the Cassiars for the hunting movie "Great American Wilderness"? One likely inspired the other.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always have mixed emotions when I see pictures and stories such as these. I am jelous for not experiencing what your Grandfather experienced and sorrow because many of the men who livedduring these times are gone.

Thank you for sharing your Grandfathers hunts with us.

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta love that Kodachrome!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!!! Thanks so much.

Those are great photos.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been my pleasure to share the pictures. I am glad others have enjoyed them as well. My Grandfather passed away when I was in my early teens, I was fortunate to know him as long as I did. Growing up, I knew bits and pieces about his travels, but this project has given my a much better appreciate for the adventures he had.

Brant

quote:
Originally posted by trouthunterdj:
I always have mixed emotions when I see pictures and stories such as these. I am jelous for not experiencing what your Grandfather experienced and sorrow because many of the men who livedduring these times are gone.

Thank you for sharing your Grandfathers hunts with us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Erwing Bauer did several stories in Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, etc. about this trip. I have at least one of them scanned, let me know if you're interested in seeing it.

Brant

quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
What a grand trip. Some of those photos look familiar, I must have seen them published before. Thanks for sharing these photos along with those you posted in the African Hunting Forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fabulous pictures. They still have impact after so many years. My dad was just a young twenty year-old when he went to Alaska in 1950. He hunted and shot just about everything you could back then. He used a 1950 Winchester M70 with open sights. He tells me that you could go anywhere back then. He still has the M70, but with a Weaver K-6 and an Beuhler base that's been on it since 1964. It wasn't fired between 1964 until 2000, and hasn't been fired since.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Wow! My dream hunt too. What a great collection. Just makes me want to pack up, load up, and head up!

Cool

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote