THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My searcy 500NE arrived today.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My searcy 500NE arrived today.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]2[/URL]
[URL= ]3[/URL]
[URL= ]4[/URL]
[URL= ]5[/URL]
[URL= ]6[/URL]
[URL= ]7[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Well??? Do you like it? I'll bet you could knock the hell of of some cows with that puppy!

EDIT: Is it just the picture or is the wood to metal fit a little goofy near the top of the action?

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Is this a field grade?

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just measured the barrels and they come in at exactly 24 inches.I used a bakers scale to weigh the rifle and I get 11lbs 5 ounces.
I had no clue as to how this rifle would feel when I would shoulder it.I filled in the sheet with all the measurements and I thought that I may have screwed up somewhere.I am not going to say much about the fit except that I have yet to shoulder a rifle or shotgun that was as perfect as this.

JDA-CO,I am going to sum up all my feelings with one sentence and that is...Things dont get better than this!
I also tried the triggers and they are better than any of my bolt guns.It is just perfect-a 10 out of 10.
In a few days,I will take it to the range and see how it shoots.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid it looks totally unreliable. You should send it to me for field testing, I will return it in about ten years. As you seldom spare you're comments it will be interesting to hear what you have to say about it. When I was younger I was excited about new women, now that I'm older and married I get excited about new guns (you never have enough of either) she's a beauty, enjoy her.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Shootaway: That's probably one of the most useful looking doubles I've seen in a while. Maybe I'm an outcast, but I like a firearm that I can use and not worry about bumps and bruises.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JDA, my feelings as well....everything else is secondary to pure clean function.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Biebs - Yeah; If butch could build that rifle in the 10K range, I'd order one tomorrow. 450-400 and I'd be in love… I just can't afford or justify 18K for an entry level gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this a field grade?
I was going to ask that too. It's not the Classic grade. I have one and they're a little fancier. It must be the PH grade. "Field grade" is not used on the website, although it amounts to that.

I don't see color case or the Talley scope system. It's very business like straight forward looking as in, let's get the elephant hunt started. Let's get it on.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I just measured the barrels and they come in at exactly 24 inches.I used a bakers scale to weigh the rifle and I get 11lbs 5 ounces.
I had no clue as to how this rifle would feel when I would shoulder it.I filled in the sheet with all the measurements and I thought that I may have screwed up somewhere.I am not going to say much about the fit except that I have yet to shoulder a rifle or shotgun that was as perfect as this.

JDA-CO,I am going to sum up all my feelings with one sentence and that is...Things dont get better than this!
I also tried the triggers and they are better than any of my bolt guns.It is just perfect-a 10 out of 10.
In a few days,I will take it to the range and see how it shoots.

First Shootaway, let me congratulate you on the purchase of a real hunting rifle! Butch builds a very good double rifle, and the choice of 500NE is a good one as well!
................................................................... beer

You may already be aware of this, but you need to use SNAP-CAPS to dry-fire a double rifle to avoid damaging the strikers (Firing pins)
.................................... Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
quote:
Is this a field grade?
I was going to ask that too. It's not the Classic grade. I have one and they're a little fancier. It must be the PH grade. "Field grade" is not used on the website, although it amounts to that.

I don't see color case or the Talley scope system. It's very business like straight forward looking as in, let's get the elephant hunt started. Let's get it on.

It is a base blued field grade! This is the perfect set-up for serious hunting!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle and it will shoot just like the test target that came with it. My question is, why are you waiting a "few days" to take it to the range? What's wrong with today? We want to see targets.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a Field Grade that I sold on a limited run for $8,750.00.
I knocked the corners off the wood and steel and shipped.
But I did regulate them properly.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Geez… Let me know when you do another run of those!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, let me ask you, are snap caps necessary on your guns and if so to what degree, like only if you snap it a lot??

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Very plain. Hope it shoots well.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Shootaway on a very good decision to purchase this rifle at an extraordinary price.

Butch, thanks to those of us in the DR world for occasionally offering up such a beautiful rifle at that price.

Shootaway, do honor to that gun. You have fallen upon a streak of good fortune. Take advantage of it.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice! I came very close to pulling the trigger on one of those early in the year. Then I made myself wait and forgot about it until I saw your pictures. dancing

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just finished cleaning the bores.They cleaned very easy-which is good!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
How many shots before you wear out the barrels? Wink

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle now have fun shooting it.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking wood. Enjoy!

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Butch, that's a nice looking hunting weapon. However, the quality of wood and nice extra touches such as the shadow line cheekpiece are certainly NOT "utilitarian" in nature, and I mean that as a compliment.

Overall, a very nice hunting rifle that any hunter should be proud to own and use!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kick Arse Double ! in a Kick Arse Calibre ! Good Choice !!!! 500 NE a Real Double !

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Incredible sight picture,weight balance and fit- all come together nicely.It is not heavier at either end,the weight is between the hands.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Very nice rifle and it will shoot just like the test target that came with it. My question is, why are you waiting a "few days" to take it to the range? What's wrong with today? We want to see targets.

The range opens this weekend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
Kick Arse Double ! in a Kick Arse Calibre ! Good Choice !!!! 500 NE a Real Double !

feels solid as hell

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fo Fiddy NE:
Nice looking wood. Enjoy!

The wood is really nice.It is identical on both sides.I will post a pic of the other side.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]right side[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Congrats!
How many shots before you wear out the barrels? Wink

I have learned alot about barrel life over the years.This one will shoot more accurately and last longer than everyone elses! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a video of me shouldering it and aiming it.
shouldering the double

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on really nice DR. i hope you have good fun and great hunting.

The rifle reminds of the the classic British DRs from the Birmingham trade. The wood in particular has that old English look - strong grain through the wrist and the tiger stripe figure to add a bit of class.

I wish I could get one like that in the classic 450/400!

I can't wait to see the range results.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nakihunter and thanks everybody.Good shooting and hunting to all and a Happy New Year!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
shouldering the double

You are holding it perfectly. Well done. Please hold it exactly like that when you shoot it at the range and post that video too. 2020

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,
when I grip any of my DR's,my left hand is placed much more forward than your's in the video, & my hand grips both the forearm & barrels together,not saying you should be doing this Wink

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
shouldering the double

You are holding it perfectly. Well done. Please hold it exactly like that when you shoot it at the range and post that video too. 2020

I have been shooting my Lott at full power like that for thousands of rounds.If you cant do it dont think I cant.This is the way its done.You have seen many of my Lott videos and this is the way I held it in all of those.You open your eyes for the cow video but close them to the Lott videos.I have even shot a Ruger Lott at full power this way in Texas in front of you.You are full of shit Jines.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you shot this rifle yet?

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
shouldering the double

..................................... Whistling

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
shouldering the double

I have been shooting my Lott at full power like that for thousands of rounds.If you cant do it dont think I cant.This is the way its done.You have seen many of my Lott videos and this is the way I held it in all of those.You open your eyes for the cow video but close them to the Lott videos.I have even shot a Ruger Lott at full power this way in Texas in front of you.You are full of shit Jines.

I just want the rest of us to be able to learn from your advanced and well-honed technique, that is why I was suggesting that you post a video. It will be instructional that's all.

Many other shooters have adopted the same technique you use:

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote