THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My searcy 500NE arrived today.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My searcy 500NE arrived today.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey George,

Congrats on the double. Looks great.

I saw the photos, nice spanakopita too Wink

tasso

Posts: 70 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

I just want the rest of us to be able to learn from your advanced and well-honed technique, that is why I was suggesting that you post a video. It will be instructional that's all.

Many other shooters have adopted the same technique you use:

Actually, MJines, he's almost got the form dialed in! he might need a palm rest to get really good though!

I'm sure that Butch offers this option. Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasso:
Hey George,

Congrats on the double. Looks great.

I saw the photos, nice spanakopita too Wink

tasso

Thanks tasso.Spanakopita Plaka style!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
ROFL... never thought I would agree with George on anything but... Jines full of shit. That is just tooooooooo easy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Mr. Marshall, as fate would have it I just made room assignments a few minutes ago for June. You got whoever snores the worse. Eeker

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mr. Marshall, as fate would have it I just made room assignments a few minutes ago for June. You got whoever snores the worse. Eeker

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! jumping

Hell that's me!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shotaway;

What is the purpose of the cross bolt in the head of the butt stock on your .500 DR?

Regards;
Steve

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
Shotaway;

What is the purpose of the cross bolt in the head of the butt stock on your .500 DR?

Regards;
Steve

I dont know.
I need to ask Butch about it sometime.
My guess is that it is for strength to the stock.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look at a Merkel it has the same bolt at almost the same spot ! To strenghten ...

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the target that came with the rifle.
[URL= ]1[/URL]
Hornady cases
Fed primers
IMR 4831 powder
570gr Hornady softs
This rifle also regulates with factory Hornady ammo-which is good ammo-I used it(Hornady factory ammo) to take two of my biggest buffs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Congratulations on really nice DR. i hope you have good fun and great hunting.

The rifle reminds of the the classic British DRs from the Birmingham trade. The wood in particular has that old English look - strong grain through the wrist and the tiger stripe figure to add a bit of class.

I wish I could get one like that in the classic 450/400!

I can't wait to see the range results.

The 450/400 seems like a nice cartridge for lion now that there are no tigers to hunt.
I would be more comfortable however walking in the Zim bush with a 500.It seems that on all my hunts I was very close to angry ele.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Very nice rifle and it will shoot just like the test target that came with it. My question is, why are you waiting a "few days" to take it to the range? What's wrong with today? We want to see targets.

Surely you jest!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool! I didn't realize that when you have someone on "ignore" a thread started by them is still visible...gave me a chance to appreciate that nice new gun while it still has some rifling!

Shootaway, I notice that you smacked yourself in the face with the barrels at around the 18- or 19-second mark of your video...is that maneuver intended to properly seat the metalwork in the bedding prior to taking a shot, or is it just a Quebec custom? Or does it merely loosen the fouling for easier barrel cleaning?

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loosens the fouling.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
[URL= ]right side[/URL]

I'm sorry but if I dropped that kind of coin on my double where the bluing looked liked that, the marred stock and gaps/wrinkles in the pad etc, and that target (looks like about 2"@30 yards), I'd be pissed. Then again, Shitaway had the rifle for over an hour so the possibilities of him:

1. cleaning the bluing with a brillo Pad
2. soaking the wood and pad in Spic and Span
3. Using a dremel to scrub the bores

There it is...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the best double rifle ever made!

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:

OK... So when something goes a little goofy, don't cry to us!

;-)

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:

OK show us some photos of that rifle then....

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I have a close family member who trains and works with large primates. Mainly chimpanzees, she told me that once a chimp claims something as it's own it can never be taken away and that chimp will hold on to that item and defend it with viscous even deadly resolve, the only way to get that item away is for the chimp to feel that he gave it to you or traded the item in a transaction that he feels was fair. Once a chimp gets hyped up and emotionally hurt, they are inconsolable and extremely dangerous for weeks afterward. She also informed me that chimps will never forget if it thinks you did it wrong and will attack you for the purpose of revenge the very next time it gets an opportunity, even if that is several years later. They never forget a perceived insult. When chimps get pissed they bite and tear flesh with their claw like finger nails. They will also invariably rip or bite the genitalia from their vanquished enemy in a show of dominance.

Seeing that in general chimps have a higher IQ and are more emotionally stable than shootaway. I say let him have this moment or lusty happiness with his new prize. We wouldn't want him to go ape shit crazy and start biting peoples nuts off or anything now would we?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike, I read that first sentence and thought "Man, this is going to be good!"

You did not disappoint!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Surestrike... Dude, that was epic and the best post thus far in 2014...

I sure as hell don't want shootaway near my nuts... Time to find out if my 9.3 can stop a charge. Actually, I think I would use my Shot & Ball... Hehehe

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Guys,

I have a close family member who trains and works with large primates. Mainly chimpanzees, she told me that once a chimp claims something as it's own it can never be taken away and that chimp will hold on to that item and defend it with viscous even deadly resolve, the only way to get that item away is for the chimp to feel that he gave it to you or traded the item in a transaction that he feels was fair. Once a chimp gets hyped up and emotionally hurt, they are inconsolable and extremely dangerous for weeks afterward. She also informed me that chimps will never forget if it thinks you did it wrong and will attack you for the purpose of revenge the very next time it gets an opportunity, even if that is several years later. They never forget a perceived insult. When chimps get pissed they bite and tear flesh with their claw like finger nails. They will also invariably rip or bite the genitalia from their vanquished enemy in a show of dominance.

Seeing that in general chimps have a higher IQ and are more emotionally stable than shootaway. I say let him have this moment or lusty happiness with his new prize. We wouldn't want him to go ape shit crazy and start biting peoples nuts off or anything now would we?

Is that how the Buff became a cow? shocker

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Surestrike, I read that first sentence and thought "Man, this is going to be good!"

You did not disappoint!

X2 rotflmo rotflmo jumping
Totally on the money and it fits so well!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've all been warned, so if shootaway starts biting peoples nuts off don't say you weren't told!

Consider this a public service announcement. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was checking out the 450/400 and it seems like a really nice chambering.I read a little on what Taylor had to say about it and see that it was used successfully against ele in Africa.It would be nice to have a double 450/400 too but that does not seem likely-at least in the near future.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]surestrike the beefcake[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Don't you just love a well composed picture that really shows off and accentuates a nice rifle. Was the light too bad for a snap shot in the dumpster?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't you just love a well composed picture that really shows off and accentuates a nice rifle. Was the light too bad for a snap shot in the dumpster?

I got to start somewhere-until I get a better one.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Patience . . . in photograph and in hunting . . . is a virtue.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
George, George, George! 2020

Listen dude! We all know you've got a new rifle and you're proud of it. Congratulations to you! But let's talk for a moment. It's about your pictures. Just like your videos ... they suck! barf Really, they do! It's a matter of composition.

Now we all know how proud of your new rifle you are. You know, the "one of a kind" Wink double you just received; the same "one of a kind" Wink that Butch has built many, MANY of in the past, and is likely to do so again in the future? But I digress so that we may stay on topic.

Right ... composition! I'm certainly no expert at it but I do believe that fine "one of a kind" Wink double of yours surely deserves a bit better display than to be simply laid on a mess of partially opened and hastily arranged boxes in the back room of some gas station! barf Put some thought in to it man, especially if it's to be your signature line. salute

Here, let me give you some examples of what I'm talking about. These are a few of mine, and again, I'm no expert, but maybe you'll get some ideas on how to dress up that signature picture just a bit. We just wouldn't want folks to get the wrong idea ... you know ... that maybe you're a moron or something. cuckoo Just trying to help because as you know, we've all seen many of your videos and pics at this point and ... DAYUMN!!! That vid of you shouldering the new double rifle in the stock room is a classic! WOW! P-r-e-t-t-y Good! Very impressive and informative to boot. Certainly award worthy in my book! nilly

BTW, remember, I called first dibs on that gun when it doesn't shoot correctly, that or once you've scrubbed all the rifling out of the bores! animal

Cool

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Damn Jines, you and I were thinking the exact same thing. You posted while I was "composing"!

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Was that the logic you applied when shooting the cow?

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

animal animal animal jumping jumping jumping animal animal animal clap

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You guys are more entertaining than cable TV. I have a call in to A&E to pitch a new comedy/drama show called "Double Rifle Follies". It will definitely push out Duck Dynasty from the #1 spot.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Shootaway - I very much agree with Todd here... We are very concerned about your reputation around here and, as Todd said, we wouldn't want anyone to think you're a moron...

We care about you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJines:

quote:

From what I have read and can understand I assume Shootaway wanted some milk...hence the untimely death of the cow!

Once the next picture of a target is posted by Shootaway I am sure we will all be relieved to know that a leopard never changes his spots. See his other post regarding his shooting the double rifle from a bench. He is well on his way to mucking this up.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice double. Doubles twist as they recoil.They must be shot the same each time. If you shoot your new 500 in the manner you videoed, you will likely drop it. You may even need stitches.

That is a fifty yard and in rifle. You form should be about control and smoothness. A quick on target first shot, with the ability to follow up with a quick second. No target style stance need, Think of it as a accurate shotgun with sights.

Sorry to spoil your fun Mike,I just could not deal with the thought of that rifle landing hard .

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the other times I shot a heavy double rifle they forgot to do the twist!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is the target that came with the rifle.
[URL= ]1[/URL]
Hornady cases
Fed primers
IMR 4831 powder
570gr Hornady softs
This rifle also regulates with factory Hornady ammo-which is good ammo-I used it(Hornady factory ammo) to take two of my biggest buffs.

That target is what is expected of such a rifle

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes for me not you. That is why you are always changing doubles even though they cost very expensive-because yours are always shooting like that rotflmo .Unlike you this will be my only heavy double because it will shoot bullseye and continue to do so always!