THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Geoff Miller of California Rigby under FBI investigation.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Geoff Miller of California Rigby under FBI investigation.
 Login/Join

posted
Geoff Miller of California Rigby under FBI investigation.

I have just received confirmation that Geoff Miller has had a Federal felony complaint lodged against him with the FBI.
The complaint is under the “Stolen Valour” act.
It turns out that, not to the surprise of many I am sure, that Miller, has been lying to anybody that will listen for years about his military service.

Since the News of the resurrection of John Rigby & Co. in England broke some months ago, I have been following the story with great interest. It is obvious from many postings on this forum and many others that something about the whole Geoff Miller saga stank.
Here on AR just last week, people were questioning his use of chapter 11 bankruptcy to confound the then owner of the company.
There have been mutterings in this place and others that Geoff Miller is not all he says that he is. His military service was questioned on several occasions, not least on this forum by “Celticman” who stated that his claimed heroic service of his country was a sham.

Millers blustering and threatening responses to any question about his credibility just seemed to me to be the act of somebody with something to hide. His attack on respected journalists on the American Rifleman site http://www.americanrifleman.or....aspx?id=2011&cid=25 seemed to be a futile attempt to gag criticism.

The final straw was the ridiculous sycophantic article by Steve Helsley recently published in Safari Times magazine.
With all the rumour flying around I decided that it was time to call in some favours and burn up some capital finding out the truth of all this.

Well here is some of it, or at least all that I can get to currently. For certain there is much more.

Anybody having difficulty viewing these documents, they are posted on a photobucket.com public album, the user being bullseye2010

In the link above to “American Rifleman.org”, Miller refers to a 2002 Double gun journal Article, so I obtained a copy. Page 123 is reproduced below. The journalist is the very same Steve Helsley.

If you look at the left hand column you will see that Craig Boddington is present. He is promoted in this article to “General Boddington” This is not as strange as it seems as Colonel Boddington USMCR, as he was, is later censored by the Marine Corps for assuming rank to which he was not entitled during this conflict.
So we have Miller ,Boddington and Helsley all telling the same lie, or allowing it to be told. That Miller is a Veteran Marine.

And how do we know it is a lie………Because Mr Miller himself has admitted on oath, that it is a lie.
Further Mr Miller has tried to lay the blame for this lie at the feet of Colonel Boddington.
Below is a transcript that I have obtained from the public record of the 2007 Cali’ Rigby Bankruptcy hearing.

This could be a one off mistake the supporters of Miller may claim…. However below is an article from Double Gun Journal 1997

The author this time is Our friend Craig Boddington again. This time Miller is a “HIGHLY DECORATED MARINE” Why would Boddington do this one asks, well because it turns out he and his family have always been investors in Cali’Rigby. So all the time Mr Boddington was writing articles as a journalist he was feathering his own nest aided by this deception.
Only a few short weeks ago Mr Boddington stated in correspondence in answer to a direct question, that he (Boddington) had seen Miller in uniform and the Navy Cross displayed on his wall.

In this article Mr Boddington and his fellow MARINE, Miller

Are using a Veterans Charity to reinforce their lies.

Mr Boddington, or should I call you General. You have posted frequently on this forum and indeed used it as a vehicle to elicit sympathy and collect money on your family’s behalf. So I ask you here. Which is it…Miller has sworn on oath that he “Told you the opposite”… That you knew he was not a veteran Marine. Is that true ??
You know Miller is a fraud, a liar and under the terms of the “Stolen Valour Act” is a criminal. He is the lowest form of human existence to claim to be anyway related to those brave men and boys that are being brought home at this very moment in body bags, or horribly injured in defence of their country.
You Sir, were once a Marine and a ranking officer at that, presumably you still draw a service pension. Are you going to allow this to continue…….have you no pride or dignity, is it all about the money…

Mr Boddington. If Mr Geoff Miller told you that he was a Former decorated Marine, then he has lied to you, and his statement on oath, as shown above, is false and he is guilty of perjury. Furthermore he is guilty of an offence under the “Stolen Valour Act” You have said, that you have seen him displaying a “Navy Cross” to which he is clearly not entitled. You have a clear duty to report him for these offences to the relevant authorities. Mr Miller has thrown you to the wolves under oath so he is clearly no friend. If you fail to act you are obviously colluding with him in this continuing deception and his criminal acts.

If Miller, as he claims, did not tell you that he was a former Marine, told you indeed that he was not, but allowed you to lie on his behalf in your 1997 article, then you Sir are guilty of a criminal conspiracy.
So Mr Boddington, which is it, deceived or deceiver ??

Mr Helsley, you also post here, you have this one public chance. ..Are you a conspirator or just a dupe?
For it is simple Mr Helsley…Either Miller or Boddington, or both, told you when you visited to write the article above in 2002, that Miller was a decorated Marine and you believed them, an wrote it as fact, in which case no blame attaches to you other than shoddy journalism…which in any event your recent article demonstrates..OR.. you are a conspirator in a Federal crime…Miller is sending out copies of your article and repeating the lie…and each time he does it, it is one more indictment . Which is it Mr Helsley???? Fool or Knave??
If either or both of them (Boddington/Miller) told you that Miller had served his country, you MUST go to the FBI and give a statement, if you do not, then one can only conclude that you are a co-conspirator or guilty of conspiracy after the fact.

Mr Boddington and Mr Helsley, you use this forum when it suits you to further your aims and those of Miller. Unless you reply publicly within the next 3 days on this forum explaining yourselves and stating that you have contacted the FBI in regard of this matter. Then I see no option but to forward all relevant information to the FBI and the California Courts, lodge a complaint and ask them to consider charges of conspiracy and perjury.

Now this stinking story gets worse. Miller has been trumpeted for years as SCI’s biggest contributor. Steve Helsleys article was in Safari. They intend to allow Miller to present a gun to G W Bush at the gala dinner.

And do you know what I discovered ?, SCI know all about it. They know Miller is a liar and a criminal and they have declined in writing to do anything about it.

So I say the same to you as to Mr Helsley,

SCI…You are aware of the crime, the evidence is plain, it is sworn testimony and it is reproduced above. Mr Miller has fraudulently used, or allowed to be used, by his testimony, with the collusion of Mr Boddington, and the possible collusion or at the very least, misdirection of your contributing journalist, false claims of military service to further his business interests. You, by publishing Mr Helsley’s sycophantic rubbish have assisted Miller in this. If you fail to act now against Miller, you are a guilty as he is. The same question applies to you…is it just about the money ??? Are there no former soldiers or seamen on that board that are disgusted by this man ??

To all the members of this forum that are Military veterans, Police veterans, Fire-fighters and others that put their lives and well being on the line for their country and other people. Do you feel comfortable with this man shaking hands with the former president ?? Do you want to share your honour with this man ??

If not, mail or call your local FBI office and demand that they arrest Miller. Call the SCI and demand that they take action.
To allow this to slide is a shame on the nation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fishing

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mintyman, you posted the exact same thing on the Big Bore forum. I have no intention of calling the local FBI office and demanding that they arrest Miller. I hope they have a lot better (and more important) things to do than worry about Miller claiming to be a Marine.
BTW, you say:
"I have just received confirmation that Geoff Miller has had a Federal felony complaint lodged against him with the FBI."
Who told you, or did you file the complaint yourself?
I am no friend of Miller BTW.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Mintyman has 17 posts and this is what he feels we need to read?

I couldn't care less about Geof Miller's legal issues.

I know CB to be an honorable man who served his country for 31 years as an officer in the USMCR where he spent many active duty tours in combat zones, was placed on the selection list for Brigadier General and spent a tour as Commander of a Joint Operations Task Force, a BG slot BTW, in the 'stan. I don't think Craig ever referred to himself as a General until he was told to wear the star of rank after being told by his superior to do so, while holding a BG billet. Others did choose, inappropriately, to refer to him as General, both in print and verbally. This may have contributed to the problems he later endured.

FYI, I served my tour in the USMC in the Nam '66-'67 and I understand exactly what happened to CB with the frocking incident and believe he bears little if any fault on that count.

Get over yourself and do us all a favor - GO AWAY!!! donttroll middlefinger

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Kill the messenger!! String him up!! After all it's the messenger who pointed out this stuff. Hang him high!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is rather unfortunate that dueling is illegal. I think it would be great sport to see Mintyman back his words with his life.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

posted and left the locale.

That's a hint. Wonder if it is Miller, muddying the waters by trying to drag Craig in?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Where there's smoke there's fire............

Esp. with someone with a history of embellishment"........mother...sister.......colonel...general........."

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Alot of shiat stirred up by a drive-by who then vanishes.
I find it hard to believe the FBI would disclose anything about an ongoing investigation.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Alot of shiat stirred up by a drive-by who then vanishes.
I find it hard to believe the FBI would disclose anything about an ongoing investigation.

Don't really care about the source, a deposition is a matter of public record. As is embellishing one's credentials....but I guess we're all guilty of that at some time in our lives LOL

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe, but only around women when I was single...
Never anything that would get me killed or jailed.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I agree. A lot of businesses were built or should I say jump started on good marketing (Bullshit/white lies and "vested interest" promotions). I have no problem with that at all.......just be careful, and when you do get caught with your finger in the cookie jar, just fess up.

I was wrong, I'm sorry.......... goes a long way....most of the time Wink

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Intresting??? Not realy...

I agree 100% with the previous post that I hope the FBI is more concerned about the next terror attack than some tool that feels the need to lie about being a Marine.

Personaly I think, if someone lied about being a Marine they are a turd with no class and 0 charecter.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't know Miller or Boddington personaly but I lean heavily toward filling this in the

WHO GIVES A SHIT FILE moon

I feel a strong inkilig that the original poster has a HUGE axe to grind...

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
It seems that if you lie about serving your Country, and you lie about receiving a prestigious award for valor while lying about serving your Country, that any other statement you make should also be considered a lie.

I am also surprised that an actual Marine, who actually served in Viet Nam, would be so cavalier as to pass this off as unimportant.

I am also surprised that a Retired Marine general officer who wrote about this persons made up service record and promoted him because of a false Brotherhood would not be purple with rage about the lie. It would seem that one would do all he could to bring the truth to light. Particularly since this lie was partly responsible for his and his Mother's investment in this liars company which was subsequently lost in a Bankruptcy Court.

But that's just me.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mintyman,

I take it you are an investor in Cali Rigby? Exactly what is your interests concerning your post?

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I don't care if Mr. Miller was a Marine or not, or if he didn't do duty in anything more serious that the boy scouts. That is one thing, and hurts nobody. However, I simply do not understand the "I DON’T CARE" attitude when it comes to a false public claim to be a winner of the NAVY CROSS. I checked the list of Navy Cross winners, and his name is not there. That could be that he was simply overlooked in the list, and I hope that is what it is.

If we are to dismiss a false claim of velour at the level of the NAVY CROSS to me this is the act of "political correctness", and "don’t care" attitude that an old man like me finds hard to believe.

A false claim of being a Navy Cross winner cheapens the true winner of that citation. It is simply amazing to me that so many people here do not care, and IMO, says something about the society today that is not a little unflatering! Damn has everyone in this country lost all sense of honor?

I’m hoping he is found to be a real winner of the NC, but if he is lying he needs to be outed, not that it will interest most here it seems.
One thing for sure if he is found to be truthful, then that will shut everyone up, and if this thread is any indication, and if found to be a liar, the real winner can simply throw theirs in the trash because it means nothing to the “me and piss on everyone else” society we live in today. Welcome to the nation, where American values have gone to hell in a hand basket!

………………………………..Congratulations gentlemen! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

Welcome to the Obamanation, where American values have gone to hell in a hand basket!

bewildered What in the hell does this thread possibly have to do with President Obama Rush?

Big Grin Is that all you got from that post a common name for the new society?

Nothing to do with Obama, just the Obamanation is where we live today and is the end result of a down slide in values in a “nobody gives a shit anymore” society. Take what ever you want from it, for now this is still a free country. However, I find it very strange that any perceived slight at Obama, is more important that the theft of Velour, when the President in question is so unfamiliar with the pledge of allegiance that nether him nor his wife knows how it goes, or which hand to place over the heart while reciting it! To me that is simply a sign a slipping society morally! You are right, however, Obama has nothing to do with this thread. That is a subject for the pissing contests that are held on Political forum. So if it make s you feel better I will edit out the word that seems to be more important to you than the subject of stolen Velour!

…………………………………..Happy? lol

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Guys; Wait a little to speak about Colonel Boddington, maybe Mr. Miller is not the big lier that somebody said or Mr. Boddington trusted on Him and he took advantage of this gentleman. I dont find correct to take revenge on other guys when somebody lies me.
In this case just go for Mr. Miller, not for
Boddington.
Happened to me many times with lifetime friends.
Guille (Colonel Craig Boddingtong fan & friend) Of course impartial Big Grin

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Mac

thumb thumb thumb

This is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Why does this Country, and this group in particular, have such a high tolerance for Liars and Charlatans?

Miller has admitted in two depositions that he lied about his service and about the Navy Cross. Yet still some of the people here choose to ignore this lack of character and honor and even make excuses for him.

Makes you wonder why they are so tolerant of a liar, perhaps birds of a feather?

Where is Boddington on this? He knows Miller. He wrote about what a hero he was. Now that he has learned there are questions about the validity of Miller's claims where is he?

He seems to be more than ready to come around here when he is begging for money for his family.

Gator

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Perhaps my post in this thread was not entirely clear. You might want to read my reply to this same post by Ms. Mintyman in the Big Bores listing.

Let me be clear, while I don't particularly give a damn about Millers legal problems, I am in complete repulsion of any claim of service or decorations under the Stolen Valor Act. I have not personally seen the claims that he has made, but if he claimed to be a member of the select few who have been awarded a Navy Cross and to have been a member of the brotherhood of warriors sometimes referred to as American Spartans and known to most Americans as simply Marines, then I will gladly pissers on his grave, as I stated in my other reply.

Semper Fi

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Quoting LionHunter, and worth repeating:

"I know CB to be an honorable man who served his country for 31 years as an officer in the USMCR where he spent many active duty tours in combat zones, was placed on the selection list for Brigadier General and spent a tour as Commander of a Joint Operations Task Force, a BG slot BTW, in the 'stan. I don't think Craig ever referred to himself as a General until he was told to wear the star of rank after being told by his superior to do so, while holding a BG billet. Others did choose, inappropriately, to refer to him as General, both in print and verbally. This may have contributed to the problems he later endured.

"FYI, I served my tour in the USMC in the Nam '66-'67 and I understand exactly what happened to CB with the frocking incident and believe he bears little if any fault on that count."

I consider CB a friend, although not a close one, and have found him to be an honorable man who has done great service to his country, and has contributed mightily to the hunting and shooting community.

And just what was the purpose of this post anyway? It serves no purpose other than to embarrass and try to demean a man who has far more credibility in the areas we are all interested in than this "mintyman," middlefinger whoever the hell he is.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
delete this crap?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Done!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is any doubt about Boddington's service, at least by me! I think Boddington is one person I would trust to be top drawer with anything he says! I do believe he may have been drawn in by Miller, however.

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents, I'm right here. I don't know who Mr. Mintyman is, but I do know that the genesis of this is a very personal dispute between Mr. Miller and another writer. My assumption is that Mintyman is either that person or one of his friends. Since I do know the basis of all this crap, I'd just as soon steer well clear of it. Therefore the only allegations I will address are those that include me.

First, I barely know the writer who referred to me as "general," but he got my rank 'way wrong (as non-military people often do). A General has four stars, I never wore but one, that one under specific orders to do so. My illegal frocking is a matter of public record (hell, it made front page news!), likewise the two investigations that resulted. Despite Mr. Mintyman's claim, I was never censured; as a result of the first investigation I received a Non-Punitive Letter of Caution (NPLOC)directly and personally from the Secretary of the Navy for "allowing myself to be illegally frocked," and I returned to my assigned duties. The verbiage of the second investigation actually cleared me of wrongdoing, concluding that I "was illegally frocked" (hell, I knew that all along!). I served two more years after all this. However, the Senate never confirmed the one star I had been selected to receive, so I retired as a Colonel with 31 years service.

Regarding Mr. Miller's military record or lack therof, I wrote what I wrote 13 years ago based on what I believed to be the truth. Mr. Miller's testimony says what it says, but I would be the first to say that I don't understand it, and if you read it carefully, neither will you. Today I am not certain where the truth lies, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't reside with Mr. Mintyman...and whether it does or not, I have no interest in participating in a personal vendetta.
Cheers, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig, thanks for clearing the air and thank you for your service.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am currently serving in Afghanistan. Mr. Miller's legal problems are the farthest thing from my mind when I get a chance to log onto this Forum (a rare event here). I agree with (and admire) COL (Ret) Boddington. Lets stick to discussions about bigbores and double rifles.

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You tell 'em, Craig!

Once again my deepest admiration for continuing to be a "Stand Up Guy" and thanks, again, to you for your service to our country!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
I don't know who Mr. Mintyman is, but I do know that the genesis of this is a very personal dispute between Mr. Miller and another writer.

http://www.americanrifleman.or....aspx?id=2057&cid=25
quote:
Even more recently, on Dec. 23 2009, noted firearms authority and author Terry Wieland filed suit in a U.S. federal court against “California Rigby” and its proprietor, Geoffery Miller, for assault, libel and slander. In his suit, the author of “Dangerous Game Rifles” contends that Miller made false statements that have damaged his reputation.

Came across it in my reading thought I would toss it out there.

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Not that it is needed however I think this describes the frocking incident as described by Mr Boddington above.

Officials find Marine unlawfully frocked

By Sandra Jontz, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Saturday, August 30, 2003

ARLINGTON, Va. — A Marine Corps commander who led Marines and coalition forces during Operation Enduring Freedom was unlawfully frocked to brigadier general, a violation of U.S. military code, officials said.

Col. Craig Boddington, a reservist activated in 2001 and deployed to the Persian Gulf, had been instructed by his superior, Lt. Gen. Earl Hailston, to don the one star as he took command of the Combined Joint Task Force Consequence Management, Marine Forces, at Camp Doha, Kuwait.

Frocking is the term used when an officer is selected for promotion, assumes the responsibilities and wears the insignia, but is not being paid at the higher rank’s salary. Frocking required Senate confirmation, which Boddington did not have.

“I felt I was acting under orders from my superior,” Boddington said Friday during a telephone interview. “… Gen. Hailston felt that the combined joint task force required a brigadier general to command it. I was a selectee at the time, and we all believed conformation and frocking authority was forthcoming.”

Hailston frocked Boddington on April 3, 2001, just as Boddington took command of the CJTF-CM. He served until December 2002, when the Defense Department Inspector General’s office began an investigation following an anonymous tip. The CJTF-CM’s mission was to train forces to respond to chemical, biological, nuclear or radiological attacks against forces operating in Afghanistan.

Hailston, who since has submitted his retirement package, served as Commander of U.S. Marine Forces Pacific and U.S. Marine Forces Central Command. He could not be reached for comment Friday. Boddington’s frocking also had the blessing of now-Commandant Gen. Michael Hagee, who was subordinate to Hailston when Hailston recommended Boddington for promotion and instructed him to pin on the one star.

At the time Boddington was frocked, Hagee was commanding officer of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

“We concluded that Generals Hagee and Hailston and Col. Boddington violated, or caused a violation of, the standards that govern frocking of officers and wearing of the insignia of a higher grade,” reads a portion of IG report. “In that regard, all three officers knew Col. Boddington was ineligible to be frocked or to wear the rank insignia of brigadier general without Senate confirmation and yet, engaged in conduct that facilitated Lt. Gen. Hailston’s improper frocking of Col. Boddington.”

Boddington, commander of the Reserve 1st Marine Expeditionary Force Augmentation Command Element at Camp Pendleton, Calif., recently was counseled by the acting Navy Secretary, Hansford Johnson, himself, over the issue.

“I understand that I should have gone outside the chain of command for resolution, but at the time, that didn’t seem like the appropriate action,” Boddington said he told Johnson.

Johnson issued Hailston a letter of censure, and sent a letter to Hagee, noting Hagee’s “limited involvement” in the matter, but did not take any disciplinary action. “I have the utmost confidence in your ability as Commandant, and am certain that you will ensure the lessons of this incident do not go unlearned within the Marine Corps,” reads a portion of Johnson’s Aug. 25 letter.

Hagee, who is traveling in the Pacific, was not available to take questions. His public affairs staff released the following statement: “I fully admit to and accept responsibility for forwarding Lt. Gen. Hailston’s directive to Col. Boddington that he be frocked. In hindsight, I should have further questioned Lt. Gen. Hailston’s directive and pursued other alternatives.”

The tipster complained that Boddington’s wearing of the rank “was creating a morale problem for the troops ‘most of whom believe that he is not entitled to wear the star until he is actually confirmed,’” the IG report states. Investigators found no similar complaints to the Defense Hotline and no other witness voiced concern or awareness, the report states

“He’s one of the better leaders I’ve ever worked for,” said Cpl. Daniel Diaz, 23, who served as Boddington’s bodyguard while deployed to Kuwait. “Morale went up from the time he stepped on deck to the time he left.

“Even though he was a general, he would take care of Marines down to the lowest level. He’s an all-around good guy,” said Diaz, a reservist for more than 3 years.

Boddington, who has been I MACE commander for 2 years, said he knows who made the anonymous tip and why, “but I will not discuss any of that,” he said.

“Morale was somewhat better in November when temperatures were 80 degrees than in July, when it was 140 degrees,” Boddington said. “But in terms of morale being a problem within the unit because of improper frocking, I don’t believe it existed, with the one exception.”

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?...&article=17265

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
I thought this was about Miller claiming to be a highly decorated Marine when he was neither, highly decorated nor a Marine?

What does Boddington and the frocking incident have to do with any of that? Why was it even brought up?

Gator

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe, thank you for that. Nothing like opening old wounds, but that particular article was well balanced and describes the incident accurately. Regards, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
Craig, thanks for clearing the air and thank you for your service.

Bob

+1

posted Hide Post
Mr Boddington

Thank you for taking the time to come and reply to what I wrote. That in itself shows a character lacking in others.

You are incorrect in your assumption regarding my motivation. I have reasons to want this exposed that have nothing whatsoever to do with any other legal action taking place against Geoff Miller.

I bear no personal animosity toward you, I would very much like to believe that somebody that spent the length of time you did in the military would not be party to this deception. If I wished to further implicate you personally I would have posted other documents in my possession. I chose not to do so, because I believe that the statements made about you may not be true. I frankly believe that Miller is the liar and you have been caught up in this web of deception.

However Sir you have failed to answer the pertinent question. The above simply appears to be prevarication.
It is not good enough to say "I don't understand it" It is a simple question....

Did you believe that Geoff Miller was a former Marine and Navy Cross recipient because HE told you so ??

He swears specifically, on oath, that HE TOLD YOU THE OPPOSITE.

I find it implausible Sir, that you, as you have said elsewhere, having seen that decoration on his wall. Did not in all the time you have known Miller, shared an office with him and shared a house with him, ask him what feat of outstanding gallantry he performed to earn such a high decoration. Not because you were questioning him, but simply from one warrior to another. Never enquired what unit he served with ? If you had military friends in common.. Really ??

You are not the person with whom I have an argument Mr Boddington. We have all been let down by people over the years who we regarded as friends.

Your reply however does not appear to be that of a man who has been deceived by a fraud and wishes to clear his name by denouncing the perpetrator. It smacks unfortunately of somebody with something to hide concealing the facts behind ambiguity.

I say to you again. You are a former Marine Colonel of 31 years service. You can now read above, from his own mouth, on oath, that Geoff Miller has lied about his military service and decorations for as long as you have known him.

Does this not disgust you ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does any of this thread have to do with double rifles?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You know when you put Mintyman on ignore several of the treads get a lot cleaner.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mintyman:
Mr Boddington

Thank you for taking the time to come and reply to what I wrote. That in itself shows a character lacking in others.

You are incorrect in your assumption regarding my motivation. I have reasons to want this exposed that have nothing whatsoever to do with any other legal action taking place against Geoff Miller.

I bear no personal animosity toward you, I would very much like to believe that somebody that spent the length of time you did in the military would not be party to this deception. If I wished to further implicate you personally I would have posted other documents in my possession. I chose not to do so, because I believe that the statements made about you may not be true. I frankly believe that Miller is the liar and you have been caught up in this web of deception.

However Sir you have failed to answer the pertinent question. The above simply appears to be prevarication.
It is not good enough to say "I don't understand it" It is a simple question....

Did you believe that Geoff Miller was a former Marine and Navy Cross recipient because HE told you so ??

He swears specifically, on oath, that HE TOLD YOU THE OPPOSITE.

I find it implausible Sir, that you, as you have said elsewhere, having seen that decoration on his wall. Did not in all the time you have known Miller, shared an office with him and shared a house with him, ask him what feat of outstanding gallantry he performed to earn such a high decoration. Not because you were questioning him, but simply from one warrior to another. Never enquired what unit he served with ? If you had military friends in common.. Really ??

You are not the person with whom I have an argument Mr Boddington. We have all been let down by people over the years who we regarded as friends.

Your reply however does not appear to be that of a man who has been deceived by a fraud and wishes to clear his name by denouncing the perpetrator. It smacks unfortunately of somebody with something to hide concealing the facts behind ambiguity.

I say to you again. You are a former Marine Colonel of 31 years service. You can now read above, from his own mouth, on oath, that Geoff Miller has lied about his military service and decorations for as long as you have known him.

Does this not disgust you ?

Mintyman,
I find your post humorous and a clear indication of your character and lack of integrity. Your first statement boasting of his character only to be followed up with the allegation that he is “hiding and concealing facts behind ambiguity” speaks volumes about your intent here. Mr. Boddington clearly stated in his response that he felt your true agenda here was a personal vendetta against Mr. Miller. IMO your response to his post confirms this.

My question to you is what is your motive here and why are you not willing to disclose your identity?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find this to be something personal and not belonging on this forum. Never serving in the armed forces it is not my place to personally enter into this type of discussion however my father served in WWII in combat in the Phillipines and I knew others of his generation that were combat veterans as well.
I never recall in 50 years that they discussed their herorics or even subtle details of that experience. I believe most would have liked to forget about it much less discuss it.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the first time I ever met Col. Boddington I knew he was a real gentleman and a soldier of integrity. I had pretty much figured it out from reading his early works, meeting him just confirmed it. That was at a SHOT Show, and when I saw him the next year he says "Hi Rich, how's it going up there in Idaho?".

In 2009 at Reno I was talking to someone at a booth and Craig's name came up. There was a young lady standing there, and she gets all starry-eyed and says "Do you really know Craig Boddington?". I said yes, and she asked if I would mind taking her over to his booth so she could get an autographed copy of one of his books. She was there with a group of twenty or more students at a gunsmithing school that had come to see the circus. So, I did. I introduced her, and she says hello and how she had always wanted to meet him, etc. He asked her to sit down and talked to her a solid fifteen minutes about his writings and where he would start if she wanted to own what he considered his personal favorites. The young lady was in gunsmithing school, and he talked to her about that profession and what it would take to be a success. She did buy a few books, he signed them, and she left walking about ten feet above the clouds. Craig is a man's man, but also a true gentleman. He is the same low key guy in person that he is on TAA and his books.
He served his country long and well, with distinction. He got the shaft from the Corps', but took the heat and stood tall.

I'd stand with him, here or in a fight anywhere in the world. You pick the weapons.

I believe Miller lied to him on more than one count. He should be ashamed.
Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find this thread rather sleazy and disgusting, Mintyman, you obviously have a personal beef with Geoff Miller and are attempting to strong arm others into condemning him so that you can hide behind their reputations. This is nothing less than cowardly. Grow a set of balls, post your real name and put forward your agenda. Otherwise shut up.

TerryR

PS, I have never met Geoff Miller, nor purchased one of his products, and my only contact with Craig Boddington was having him sign a book at SCI.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote