THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    John Rigby re-opening for business
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Rigby re-opening for business
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that the Browning B-SS SxS were made in Japan in the 80's. I have a 20 gauge made in Japan in a sidelock. They made both sidelock and boxlock. Browning did advertise a sidelock SxS in the last 10 years, it was made by LeBaux. I don't think it made it into production though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txlonghorn:
I believe that the Browning B-SS SxS were made in Japan in the 80's. I have a 20 gauge made in Japan in a sidelock. They made both sidelock and boxlock. Browning did advertise a sidelock SxS in the last 10 years, it was made by LeBaux. I don't think it made it into production though.

I think Browning made them in both Belgium and Japan, with Belgium made Browning's being more desirable.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500N

Thanks, good to know. Now I have to look for one of the Belgian ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txlonghorn:
500N

Thanks, good to know. Now I have to look for one of the Belgian ones.

I am NO shotgun expert but have a couple of mates who are and shoot Brownings - and I notice that they ALWAYS mention if the gun is a Belgium made one. Definitely better made they say !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
txlonghorn,
You better look for the Jap action. The steel in them was far better. Had a chromoly content superior to the Belgium.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:
txlonghorn,
You better look for the Jap action. The steel in them was far better. Had a chromoly content superior to the Belgium.

Butch

So why do Browning lovers like or prefer Belgium Brownings ?

or is that an anomaly here in Aust ? LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bias plan and clear. But the real reason is that the fit and finish on the Belgium guns are far nicer.

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Frank,

yes, but...

He made quite a few, on the Browning Belgian Made B-SS SxS 20 and 12 gauge shotguns. He went to Browning and asked for assistance. They were pleased to share heat treating and proofing information with him, IIRC. He told the world what and how he was doing it.
Kalifornia Rigby has been very secretive about buying used, in many cases German shotguns, grinding off some of the ID marks, etc; and trying to pass them off as bespoke DR actions. They, imho, disingenuous at best. They also are trying to get real Rigby prices for them. It is difficult to understand how Geoff Miller stays in business. Then, there is the Navy SEAL, Navy Cross issue. My personal opinion is that he is a Charlatan, not even up to the level of David Kokesh during his tenure at Dakota Arms.

Rich

Rich. I guess I should have made myself clearer on the build portion. (Yes the transparency of Searcy and "alleged"disingenuous is clear here.) I should have asked if indeed the action was a shotgun type I assume one can use any of the "lumping" methods to mate to the action. The monoblock being the easiest/least expensive. But is that method a dedicated way of mating the barrels as compared to just chopping em off and sleaving in 2 rifled barrels ie does Beretta chop off barrels and sleave or is the monoblock a dedicated new
part if you will?

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch. That's what I have heard also. I just want to see how the Belgian ones are finished.

500N

The debate on Belgian vs Japanese would be better discussed on another thread I think. Butch hit the nail on the head as it were. The Belgian affection is probably more from nostalgia and b/c the Belgian guns had more hand work. The Japanese guns have better steel and better finish internally. I have both (Citori and superposed) and prefer the Belgian Supers b/c to me, they handle better.

posted Hide Post
I would like to offer an update and opinion on the Rigby squabble.

As I understand the situation, you can now buy a Rigby rifle from one of three sources: -

1. California. Geoff Miller's firm, John Rigby & Co (Gunmakers) inc., the business that bought the Rigby name and trademark from Paul Roberts and which now manufactures Rigby rifles in Paso Robles. A Miller gun is sometimes cruelly called a 'Mexican Rigby.' Miller has taken a bashing over the years, being accused of producing inferior guns that are not worthy of the Rigby name.

2. London. The new company founded by Mark Neal, selling guns under the name John Rigby & Co (Gunmakers) Limited. These are claimed as guns that revert to the true Rigby quality and tradition although have yet to gain a reputation in the field.

3. London. Paul Roberts is apparently now building a limited number of Rigby guns in London using traditional London gunmaking methods, under license from Geoff Miller.

This is all a bit like trying to identify the world heavyweight boxing champion, when the title is being simultaneously claimed by the WBO, the WBC and the other one. Everyone wants a unification bout, so that we can get a proper champ.

In the meantime however, which is the best Rigby to buy? (for someone who can afford one).

My sympathies lie with Geoff Miller, even though he clearly did a poor deal by leaving such a gaping hole in his flank (I wonder what action he is taking against his lawyer, who agreed the contract and let him get into this mess). However, while sympathetic, it makes me uncomfortable that too many people are saying he has been downgrading the product and living off the Rigby marque.

Mark Neal's new London company makes some strong points and it is a good thing, in a way, to see someone trying to re-establish what was without doubt one of the very best traditional gunmakers. But I can't get over the fact that they seem to have acted...badly, slyly, and I would be wary of doing business with them.

And then Paul Roberts, who sold the Rigby business to Miller in the first place and who has the reputation of being one of the best gunmakers in the world. He now owns the W Jeffery marque and builds most of his guns under that name. I assume that Roberts is helping Miller out by offering a London built rival that Mark Neal's company would find it hard to compete with in terms of pedigree and ability.

Of the three, if I were having a Rigby rifle built, I would use Paul Roberts. He has the knowledge, the skill, the reputation and an un-tainted name. However, I doubt if many people people will splash out and order a new Rigby until the dust settles and until the 'real' Rigby emerges.

I like Rigby rifles. I have an old Rigby 275 which I use as my primary deer gun. I used to have a second Rigby, which I sold a couple of years ago (and still regret selling).

I think that Geoff Miller could surprise people and pull off a coup. I hope he does, because I believe he has the moral right on his side. My two cents as to what will happen, for what it's worth, (and this is pure guesswork) is that: -

a) Geoff Miller will migrate the manufacture of most of his gunmaking back to London, where they will be built by Paul Roberts, under license. Miller will own and control the London company with Roberts having a minority stake to ensure that he stays on board.

b) Paul Roberts will sub-contract the real cream of the work to the new Rigby company, who have set themselves up to make the top-of-the-range 'Rising Bite' guns. Roberts will then directly build the more 'ordinary' (if I can use that name with a Rigby rifle) working guns.

c) Geoff Miller will make highly accurate top-end bolt action rifles in California. He will change the name but keep some sort of linkage, perhaps calling it something like the Miller-Rigby .

d) They will all hate each other for evermore.

Time will tell.

Posts: 8 | Location: England | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Afrique:
I would like to offer an update and opinion on the Rigby squabble.

As I understand the situation, you can now buy a Rigby rifle from one of three sources: -

1. California. Geoff Miller's firm, John Rigby & Co (Gunmakers) inc., the business that bought the Rigby name and trademark from Paul Roberts and which now manufactures Rigby rifles in Paso Robles. A Miller gun is sometimes cruelly called a 'Mexican Rigby.' Miller has taken a bashing over the years, being accused of producing inferior guns that are not worthy of the Rigby name.

2. London. The new company founded by Mark Neal, selling guns under the name John Rigby & Co (Gunmakers) Limited. These are claimed as guns that revert to the true Rigby quality and tradition although have yet to gain a reputation in the field.

3. London. Paul Roberts is apparently now building a limited number of Rigby guns in London using traditional London gunmaking methods, under license from Geoff Miller.

This is all a bit like trying to identify the world heavyweight boxing champion, when the title is being simultaneously claimed by the WBO, the WBC and the other one. Everyone wants a unification bout, so that we can get a proper champ.

In the meantime however, which is the best Rigby to buy? (for someone who can afford one).

My sympathies lie with Geoff Miller, even though he clearly did a poor deal by leaving such a gaping hole in his flank (I wonder what action he is taking against his lawyer, who agreed the contract and let him get into this mess). However, while sympathetic, it makes me uncomfortable that too many people are saying he has been downgrading the product and living off the Rigby marque.

Mark Neal's new London company makes some strong points and it is a good thing, in a way, to see someone trying to re-establish what was without doubt one of the very best traditional gunmakers. But I can't get over the fact that they seem to have acted...badly, slyly, and I would be wary of doing business with them.

And then Paul Roberts, who sold the Rigby business to Miller in the first place and who has the reputation of being one of the best gunmakers in the world. He now owns the W Jeffery marque and builds most of his guns under that name. I assume that Roberts is helping Miller out by offering a London built rival that Mark Neal's company would find it hard to compete with in terms of pedigree and ability.

Of the three, if I were having a Rigby rifle built, I would use Paul Roberts. He has the knowledge, the skill, the reputation and an un-tainted name. However, I doubt if many people people will splash out and order a new Rigby until the dust settles and until the 'real' Rigby emerges.

I like Rigby rifles. I have an old Rigby 275 which I use as my primary deer gun. I used to have a second Rigby, which I sold a couple of years ago (and still regret selling).

I think that Geoff Miller could surprise people and pull off a coup. I hope he does, because I believe he has the moral right on his side. My two cents as to what will happen, for what it's worth, (and this is pure guesswork) is that: -

a) Geoff Miller will migrate the manufacture of most of his gunmaking back to London, where they will be built by Paul Roberts, under license. Miller will own and control the London company with Roberts having a minority stake to ensure that he stays on board.

b) Paul Roberts will sub-contract the real cream of the work to the new Rigby company, who have set themselves up to make the top-of-the-range 'Rising Bite' guns. Roberts will then directly build the more 'ordinary' (if I can use that name with a Rigby rifle) working guns.

c) Geoff Miller will make highly accurate top-end bolt action rifles in California. He will change the name but keep some sort of linkage, perhaps calling it something like the Miller-Rigby .

d) They will all hate each other for evermore.

Time will tell.

Nicely done. However, if Miller has been using shotgun actions (not very good ones at that it has to be said) and passing them off in double rifles in a sleeved, monoblock mess I say he does not have the "moral right on his side" at all.

Each one of us in our own way lets our money do the talking and I would buy from the other two but Miller would never see a penny. He won't give a crap, you might say, but it happens that I am about to make an order for a bespoke DR.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are forgetting one thing, and that is Trademarks.

If London Rigby owns the trademark, that could well stop Paul Roberts.

And if it doesn't, then wait until someone starts building Jeffery rifles and see how much he squeals.

It works both ways.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Geoff Miller does not OWN anything.

He buys shotguns, also IIRC, grinds at least some of the proof and other markings on them off (we have a picture here somewhere of one so done)cuts the barrels off and sleeves or otherwise attaches them to the cut off breech area.

Read all the thread, if you have a couple hours to kill some afternoon.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that Geoff Miller could surprise people and pull off a coup.

With what ?

Money, influence, gun writers ??????

If he hasn't done it since he has been using the Rigby name, I very much doubt he will be bale to do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two important facts. Geoff Miller does NOT own Rigby's in Cal. and Paul Roberts does not own Jeffery's in London.
My thoughts... Neither one of these men can personally build a first class rifle. They are managers. Paul Roberts being head and shoulders above Miller.
The reason Miller has asked Roberts to build some guns under the Rigby name in London is so when he goes to court against M. Neal he can claim that even though the name had officially lapsed in England, they still had business dealings there.
Afrique, Before showing much sympathy for Miller you should read the rest of this thread and the thread about Miller being under investigation by the FBI for 'Stolen Valor'.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommyhawk:
Two important facts. Geoff Miller does NOT own Rigby's in Cal. and Paul Roberts does not own Jeffery's in London.
My thoughts... Neither one of these men can personally build a first class rifle. They are managers. Paul Roberts being head and shoulders above Miller.
The reason Miller has asked Roberts to build some guns under the Rigby name in London is so when he goes to court against M. Neal he can claim that even though the name had officially lapsed in England, they still had business dealings there.

And what happens when the court asks how long this has been going on ?

And he answers - "A few months". The court is going to see right through the scam and he's going to look like an even bigger idiot for trying to pull that one.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that Geoff Miller could surprise people and pull off a coup. I hope he does, because I believe he has the moral right on his side.

Why? The more I find out about the guy the less I like him and what he does. Not to mention his seriously substandard "English" rifles. Roll Eyes You're hoping for a coup......I'm hoping for a wake-up call to Mr. Miller! As for Paul and Mark I don't care what they call their damn rifles as long as they keep bringing their level of quality to the table!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it could be settled easily in English Courts, where they are long on tradition and the actual truth.
Put Miller on the stand, under oath, and have him testify as to where they get all of their parts.
He started out about the same time as Butch Searcy, but with considerably more capitol.

A thirty-second comparison of the rifles by anyone who was at SCI Reno would be rather damning.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I did read the thread through before I posted, for those who suggested I do so. It was interesting reading.

As I see things and read the latest posts, two completely separate points are getting mixed together.

The first point is whether Miller builds a gun worthy of the Rigby name. The overwhelming opinion seems to be he doesn't. The story about transplanted shotguns is shocking and I haven't read anything to give me confidence in Miller so please don't interpret what I am saying as support for Miller's gunmaking abilities. If Miller has made bad guns then he should be taken to task.

However this is completely separate from the second point, which is whether or not what has happened is morally right. Miller bought the rights to build guns using the Rigby name, including the right to use the distinctive Rigby trademark. That is the situation as I understand it. What has happened now is that another firm has set up another company, using the name Rigby and started building guns that lay claim to being 'Rigbys.' That just does not seem right to me, irrespective of whether the guns that have been built by Miller are judged to be fantastic or crappy.

I really don't want to get boxed into a corner as some sort of supporter of Miller and his reportedly dodgy gunmaking practices and I disassociate myself from that entirely. But just because someone is not up to the job and has disappointed people by his out-turn, does that mean his basic property rights, or ownership rights, or whatever rights he has acquired, become void? I don't think so.

It needs a lawyers comment and it would be good to hear an objective legal view, in plain English, as to how someone can be allowed to simply usurp the rights of someone else because they feel they can do a better job.

Posts: 8 | Location: England | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

However this is completely separate from the second point, which is whether or not what has happened is morally right. Miller bought the rights to build guns using the Rigby name, including the right to use the distinctive Rigby trademark. That is the situation as I understand it. What has happened now is that another firm has set up another company, using the name Rigby and started building guns that lay claim to being 'Rigbys.' That just does not seem right to me, irrespective of whether the guns that have been built by Miller are judged to be fantastic or crappy.

I don't think anyone is quite sure what he bought, but the fact is he didn't keep the company name or trademark the name in the UK (Let it lapse I believe).

Well the same rules apply to everyone, if you don't trademark it etc etc, then he let himself wide open.

He was obviously spending so much time sorting his stuff out in the US he missed the boat
on other things.

posted Hide Post
Rigbys's website / brochure does not seem to list double rifles. The pictures and prices I have found are for shotguns. Does anyone know when double rifles will be offered, calibers and prices ?

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have a question for any lawyers out there.
If someone in the US orders a "Rigby" from the UK
and imports it here - will this be infringing on Mr Miller's business? And would he have a right to sue?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
I might as well be honest. We all buy what we like in the end so the fact that I would never take one of Miller's third rate fudges is neither here nor there.

What really bends my solids is the fact that he lied about a military career. How much of a low life, disrespecting, POS do you have to be to do that? Would you buy anything from a guy who would do that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that all of Mr. Miller's problems were caused by Mr. Miller. Maybe if he had spent a little more time concentrating on his business and less time scamming his investors and the public. he would have kept up the Rigby name registry in the UK and EU.
Building double rifles out of shotguns, Investors trying to force him out, Bankruptcy, Stolen Valor, Company name problems, Public feud with a gun writer. He has, in a bit over a decade, destroyed what took others 235 yrs. to build. It's amazing he is still in business.

posted Hide Post
I'd like to inform all interested parties that our bankruptcy proceedings was a chapter 11 and everyone listed as a creditor was paid in full and we were then discharged by the court...further, we never hid the fact that we were useing Merkel action bodies (greener crossbolt) and that was made public years ago in an article by Silvio Calabi in SHOOTING SPORTSMAN in the january issue of 2001. He also explained why under a "Question of strength"

If I was being investigated by the FBI how would anyone know unless they were with the FBI...I wouldn't think they would let anyone know that there was an on going investigation.

I would also like to say that Butch Searcy is a fine and decent an American as can be found. I have known him for years, consider him a friend
and a fine craftsman...I believe there may be someone out there that has offered to help the new British Company destroy the American Double gun business in return for free guns and hunts.

If anyone wishes to talk to me about anything I can be reached at Rigby's 5 days a week...

I may be loud, fat and obnoxious but I have about 300 folks who like our products and there must be some reason for that............

Oh ! By the way Steve Helsley does not have one of our guns...has never been beholden to us for any reason and was one of the founders of "The concours of excellence of fine guns " after a long and distinguished career in Law Enforcement......Both his reputation and character are impeccable

Someone had commented about the 30 year old in our Booth who said he could do everything to build a double gun...His Name is Brandon Holquin and he can... with the exception of checkering and engraving..

All my boys were trained by Jerry Swanson who spent his entire career at Purdey's and then worked on Peter Nelsons guns (which were cconsidered the best there was)

Any and everyone is welcome to come see the facility and how we do things..We have absolutely nothing to hide and would appreciate the opportunity to do so...

Posts: 1 | Location: paso robles california | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Semper Fi.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
John Rigby,

Doesn't it seem a little odd to charge bespoke English prices for a bespoke rifle built off of a shotgun that's very unEnglish in look? Just a little odd to me. I guess if you can get someone to pay why not.......but it just seems a little odd to me. Why not a more classic English look and feel with splinter fore end, moderate weight, and a delicate feel? Again just a thought.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay,

now tell us about your Navy Cross...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 people that you mention, liking your guns. Can you elaborate? I have never come across that Hurd myself in the field, at the shows, or online.

As for your craftsmen being trained by an ex Purdey employee. Is that supposed to warrant your creations as a best gun? Please explain how you strike your barrels, and why you use Merkel actions instead of producing your own? It seems quite clear you never understood the tradition with which the Rigby name affords sadly. A new Rigby needs to be a faithful recreation of its famed predecessor's, or anything else may turn out like the gun below for example.

I’m also interested to hear more details about your affiliation with this Purdey craftsmen and how that relates to this:

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sinner, et al,

easy answer, it's purchased as a shotgun At least it looks that way.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sinner

They look bloody awful - I'd buy a Merkel DR over that any day.

IF as he says 300 have been sold, how come so few ever end up on the second hand market ? A percentage will always be "on sold" yet you never see them - well, I haven't.

"Someone had commented about the 30 year old in our Booth who said he could do everything to build a double gun...His Name is Brandon Holquin and he can... with the exception of checkering and engraving..

All my boys were trained by Jerry Swanson who spent his entire career at Purdey's and then worked on Peter Nelsons guns (which were cconsidered the best there was)"

Well if that is the case, as someone else said above, if your craftsman were trained by the best and can do everything, why don't you build your own actions ?

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I can't figure out whay you guys are trying so hard to destroy this guy? He has always said he uses Merkel actions as the basis for his guns. Is there something wrong with Merkel actions? The question is how do they handle and shoot. Has anyone ever shot one. I know a guy who had one and really liked it. If you like another gun better, buy it but why are you trying so hard to push this American maker over the edge?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave I tend to agree. It seems like "piling on" to me. I have heard that the doubles produced by the "California" Rigby do not handle like a traditional British double but I am still waiting for the "London" Rigby to produce their double. It might be worth the wait and the cost. we will see. In the meantime I just have to make do with my K gun and my M.K. Owen. I would certainly like to handle a traditional British double.
The issue of "stolen valor" still seems to rub some people up the wrong way, but we should be able to separate the person from the product, witness Tiger Woods for example.
Just MHO, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a good friend die in Vietnam saving the lives of two wounded members of his Ranger team.
He went back, under heavy fire and dragged one wounded man back. He was wounded then. He went back to get his RTO and sustained a second wound to the chest which proved fatal that night. Those two team members both lived to carry his casket at his funeral. He was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, which is the Navy equivalent. The next step up is the Congressional Medal of Honor. A tremendous percentage of those medals are awarded for heroism that results in the death on the man who was awarded it. My friend sacrificed his life to save two wounded American soldiers in a firefight.

That's the issue. There is only right or wrong here.

Only Butch Searcy builds quantity DR's in America. Everybody else assembles parts, some domestic, some imported.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john rigby:
I'd like to inform all interested parties that our bankruptcy proceedings was a chapter 11 and everyone listed as a creditor was paid in full and we were then discharged by the court...further, we never hid the fact that we were useing Merkel action bodies (greener crossbolt) and that was made public years ago in an article by Silvio Calabi in SHOOTING SPORTSMAN in the january issue of 2001. He also explained why under a "Question of strength"

If I was being investigated by the FBI how would anyone know unless they were with the FBI...I wouldn't think they would let anyone know that there was an on going investigation.

I would also like to say that Butch Searcy is a fine and decent an American as can be found. I have known him for years, consider him a friend
and a fine craftsman...I believe there may be someone out there that has offered to help the new British Company destroy the American Double gun business in return for free guns and hunts.

If anyone wishes to talk to me about anything I can be reached at Rigby's 5 days a week...

I may be loud, fat and obnoxious but I have about 300 folks who like our products and there must be some reason for that............

Oh ! By the way Steve Helsley does not have one of our guns...has never been beholden to us for any reason and was one of the founders of "The concours of excellence of fine guns " after a long and distinguished career in Law Enforcement......Both his reputation and character are impeccable

Someone had commented about the 30 year old in our Booth who said he could do everything to build a double gun...His Name is Brandon Holquin and he can... with the exception of checkering and engraving..

All my boys were trained by Jerry Swanson who spent his entire career at Purdey's and then worked on Peter Nelsons guns (which were cconsidered the best there was)

Any and everyone is welcome to come see the facility and how we do things..We have absolutely nothing to hide and would appreciate the opportunity to do so...

I find the above comments every bit as deceptive as the article in SCI mag.
In the 1st paragraph you say that you use "Merkle action bodies". What about the top lever, triggers, forend iron, barrels, trigger guard, etc...? Is it not a fact that you start with Merkel shotguns?
2nd paragraph. FBI investigation? You dodged the central question? Did you not tell many many people that you served in the Marines? Are the court transcripts real. The ones that you testify that you were never in the military?
3rd paragraph. I don't see where the London Rigby co. is trying to destroy the American Double gun business. I can see where they might be having an effect on your business.
Mr. Helsley. I know nothing about this guy but, it is honorable for you to stick up for him. After all didn't you supply him with the info. that he needed to write that article in Safari Mag.?
Next paragraph, Do you really mean to tell us that B. Holquin has learned to mill, broach, chisel. and file up action bodies...make and join barrel sets and fit them into the afore mentioned action. Make and fit hammers, sears,triggers, locking bolts, extractors, ejectors, springs, forend irons and latches, etc... or do you mean that he has learned how to sleeve rifle barrels into a shotgun and re-stock it?
Next. "...We have absolutely nothing to hide and would appreciate the opportunity to do so..." I don't think this came out the way you meant it or did it?

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I had a good friend die in Vietnam saving the lives of two wounded members of his Ranger team.
He went back, under heavy fire and dragged one wounded man back. He was wounded then. He went back to get his RTO and sustained a second wound to the chest which proved fatal that night. Those two team members both lived to carry his casket at his funeral. He was posthumously awarded the Army Silver Star, which is the Navy equivalent. The next step up is the Congressional Medal of Honor. A tremendous percentage of those medals are awarded for heroism that results in the death on the man who was awarded it. My friend sacrificed his life to save two wounded American soldiers in a firefight.

That's the issue. There is only right or wrong here.

Only Butch Searcy builds quantity DR's in America. Everybody else assembles parts, some domestic, some imported.

Rich

Rich, I can't respond to the issue of medals and such but this thread is about his guns, not the issue of medals. Have you ever used one of his guns?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In the 1st paragraph you say that you use "Merkle action bodies". What about the top lever, triggers, forend iron, barrels, trigger guard, etc...? Is it not a fact that you start with Merkel shotguns?
2nd paragraph. FBI investigation? You dodged the central question? Did you not tell many many people that you served in the Marines? Are the court transcripts real. The ones that you testify that you were never in the military?
3rd paragraph. I don't see where the London Rigby co. is trying to destroy the American Double gun business. I can see where they might be having an effect on your business.
Mr. Helsley. I know nothing about this guy but, it is honorable for you to stick up for him. After all didn't you supply him with the info. that he needed to write that article in Safari Mag.?
Next paragraph, Do you really mean to tell us that B. Holquin has learned to mill, broach, chisel. and file up action bodies...make and join barrel sets and fit them into the afore mentioned action. Make and fit hammers, sears,triggers, locking bolts, extractors, ejectors, springs, forend irons and latches, etc... or do you mean that he has learned how to sleeve rifle barrels into a shotgun and re-stock it?
Next. "...We have absolutely nothing to hide and would appreciate the opportunity to do so..." I don't think this came out the way you meant it or did it?

Tommyhawk:

You have a lot of criticism here. Could you please fill us in on all your experience with handling and shooting the California Rigby? I am not defending California Rigby but it seems to me that before you go running your mouth off you ought to at least fill us all in on your own PERSONAL EXPERIENCE wit the gun.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well said.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

Tommyhawk:

You have a lot of criticism here. Could you please fill us in on all your experience with handling and shooting the California Rigby? I am not defending California Rigby but it seems to me that before you go running your mouth off you ought to at least fill us all in on your own PERSONAL EXPERIENCE wit the gun.

Golly gee Dave...I guess I better come clean. No. I've never fired one of the CA Rigby's. I've never knowing eaten sh** either. But, I don't recommend it to others. I have handled hundreds of doubles and fired at least 25 different rifles. Including a Purdey. I threw my back out with an Evans 4 bore. I have examined and handled a few of the doubles in question here. Enough personal stuff! It's another 'kill the messenger' tactic. It's already been posted that their guns shoot accurately and function properly. I think that is great. The issue is that these doubles are not what we have been told they are. And, it seems that the man running this company is not what we have been told. If Mr. Miller would do a Tiger Woods, this would all blow over and go away.