THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    John Rigby re-opening for business
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Rigby re-opening for business
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted
The new premises are just down the road to me, so I thought you guys might want a heads up

Messrs John Rigby & Co. Ltd.

Double rifles, shotguns and bespoke dangerous game bolt actions seem to be offer, together with some very nice looking engraving.

Best of all it's all of 15 minutes walk from my house dancing

I will be visiting their shop in couple of weeks to handle a few, I'll report back then but going on what I've heard from the grapevine, the products ought to be very good.

Right then , .450 3" express or .577 Nitro Express for the next time I'm shooting Roe bucks over clearfell? Big Grin

Regards,

Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
interesting......and what of the California boys? I never really considered those Rigby's anyway, but the website is still active for that group to.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks to be a serious "setup" and ofcouse they will have to lift an old tradition as well as expectations.
Very ambitious indeed...It can turn out to very succesfull Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is good to see this old name again in London. Although they refer to Marcus Hunt as the engraver, on the website I don't see who their gunmakers are.

I think the people in California found out that you can't just put a famous name and a big price tag to get many people to buy your product.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.

I wonder if the Royal Warrants will be able to be used again ?

So what is the go with the name being sold to the Californians but someone else starting with the name again in London ?

Think the Californians might be a bit pissed off !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
Dave mitchell will be doing the finishing, he worked for purdey for ages, and really knows his stuff.
he did a job on one of my mates guns and the work were beyond this world.

best

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must say that the "mission statement" is certainly a lofty one and if maintained/practiced, it would be very difficult to refuse to purchase one of their firearms.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I notice that the only product shown is the Rising bite in Class A Products.

That would be nice to see.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
From their website

....you will be asked for a deposit. That deposit goes into an independently administered escrow account and you will be given a delivery date for your gun. If we do not meet that delivery date you are at liberty to withdraw your deposit.

That is a dang fine business practice. It will go a long way to ease the fears of those that heard the rumors of lost California Rigby money.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, the only complete firearm on the site is something he did *for me* not very long ago.

As Peter notes, the work is top shelf.

quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
it looks like dave mitchell will be doing the finishing...
he did a job on one of my mates guns and the work were beyond this world...

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Looks like a helluva nice idea and operation to me and although I'm pretty sure they'll be out of my price range, I wish them all the luck in the world.

I ALWAYS had a soft spot for Rigby Rifles! thumb

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
....you will be asked for a deposit. That deposit goes into an independently administered escrow account and you will be given a delivery date for your gun. If we do not meet that delivery date you are at liberty to withdraw your deposit.

I'd call that Damned Impressive!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Very interesting.

I wonder if the Royal Warrants will be able to be used again ?

So what is the go with the name being sold to the Californians but someone else starting with the name again in London ?

Think the Californians might be a bit pissed off !!!

The California people only bought the name "RIGBY" , and the name in Lundon is Messrs "John" Rigby & Co. Ltd

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I understand the California company had no idea of this happening and is a little pissed at the moment. It will be interesting if they are able to continue to product under the Rigby name. It appears there may be quite a bit more to this story. I expect we will see legal action. Just a guess!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about law but I do know a bit about company registration etc and I'd hazard the guess that the US version forgot to keep the UK company registration up to date and if that's the case, there's nothing to stop someone stepping in and registering the name as a new company.

If they make good doubles and I'd bet they will, then the only problem I'd have thought might occur, is they might not be able to have agents in the US. However, that wouldn't prevent a US citizen importing one from the UK.

I'm all for a UK fine rifle industry and the more good quality makers there are, the better.

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
I understand the California company had no idea of this happening and is a little pissed at the moment. It will be interesting if they are able to continue to product under the Rigby name. It appears there may be quite a bit more to this story. I expect we will see legal action. Just a guess!

I hope they choke on it. Low quality, gun writers schlocking their guns do a disservice to everyone who owns a Real Rigby.

"Hi Billy Mays here for Rigby. Are you tired of over paying for British made rifles of proven quality? Than buy our rifle. Today only, a 470 NE for only $1995. And if you act now I'll throw in a second rifle for FREE!!!! Made in Mexico, or close by anyway, these rifles are almost as good as the real thing and at only a fraction of the price. Act now and you get not only the two rifles but we will throw in a 100% real vinyl case for one of the rifles and 5 rounds of ammunition so you can impress your friends with your new family Heirloom."

How many time do you have to explain the difference between the 'Mexican Rigby's and the Brit rifles?

"Yeah, I know it's a pimped up Merkel, but it says Rigby."

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fat lot the US people can do about it unless they kept the trademark etc up to date in the UK.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
My comments were just speculations and I have no idea of how the California company acquired the name. However I expect there was some money involved and if that were the case it would surprise me if the courts dont get involved at some point. This all assumes the two companies have not already worked out some sort of an agreement. At some point I am sure someone in the know will fill us in on all the interesting details.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

popcorn

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
You guys are just amazing...

An American firm buys the company and moves it to California. They make fine guns but you won't buy one. Someone starts building them again in London and you are all convinced of it's quality and are ready to buy a "real" Rigby before you have even seen one. They will sell better if that jack up the price so they can really take advantage of you. If they stamped the London label on it you guys would buy it even if it was the shittiest double ever.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
An American firm buys the company and moves it to California. They make fine guns but you won't buy one. Someone starts building them again in London and you are all convinced of it's quality and are ready to buy a "real" Rigby before you have even seen one. They will sell better if that jack up the price so they can really take advantage of you. If they stamped the London label on it you guys would buy it even if it was the shittiest double ever.

I'm sure they will, of course, be of finest quality. But you have a point.

In the 1980's in UK there was suddenly a huge "fashion" in game shooting by those "arrivistes" made wealthy under Mrs Thatcher.

But the fetish was for "an English" gun...and my did you see some tired, WORN OUT, old third rate provincial ironmonger's rubbish selling for two or three thimes that of a new Spanish AYA!

Guns that were of the lowest quality to begin with when made being sold at ridiculous prices because it was "an English" gun.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No dave,the definition of a shitty gun is a 13 pound name merkel with a 'rigby'name stamped on it.

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
a bit more on the product page

best

peter

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
All those prices are helluva good for a best London built double, but I have to say that UKP15K for a round action double isn't just a good buy......... it's a fucking tremendous buy.

thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Steve, the B class round action is $26,000 US dollars.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Steve, the B class round action is $26,000 US dollars.

Yep the prices look quite good

Class A rising bite gun-- ~75,000 US dollars

Class B gun-- ~26,000 US dollars

Class C gun-- ~16,000-17,000 US dollars

For a brit finished double-- Yep a steal!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Ed:

If they use the word "bespoke" in their advertising, they can charge 10% more Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Dave the round action is UKP15K or at today's exchange rate US$24450........ which for an English round action double rifle is an absoute steal.

Ive seen round action shotguns sell for more than that. There are some English double riflemakers asking close to UKP50K for a round action double.

I'll be helluva interested to see one in the flesh...... or more accurately, the steel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

An American firm buys the company and moves it to California. They make fine guns but you won't buy one.

Hmmm. If this is true, and it is:

quote:
but you won't buy one.

...what makes you think this is ?:

quote:
They make fine guns

quote:
Someone starts building them again in London and you are all convinced of it's quality and are ready to buy a "real" Rigby before you have even seen one. They will sell better if that jack up the price so they can really take advantage of you.

You're confused. That's already been tried - for 12 years now - and didn't work. If you'll re-read this string, you'll see how impressed those who've posted have been with the name "Rigby" - a name identified with the among the highest quality standards in the trade - stamped on something that wasn't.

quote:
If they stamped the London label on it you guys would buy it even if it was the shittiest double ever.

Roll Eyes Trading on name alone hasn't cut it - that's why this is happening. Trading on a traditional gunmaking center alone hasn't got a prayer either, but I gather you're too prejudiced to get a clue.

No one here has said that he's got his wallet out yet. These folks are in the right place to obtain the skilled labor needed to do the job properly, but that's no guarantee. If the quality is there, they'll succeed. If not, they won't, and the Rigby name will be twice burned.
------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Dave the round action is UKP15K or at today's exchange rate US$24450........ which for an English round action double rifle is an absoute steal.

Ive seen round action shotguns sell for more than that. There are some English double riflemakers asking close to UKP50K for a round action double.

I'll be helluva interested to see one in the flesh...... or more accurately, the steel.

When are you in London next Steve?

Such things can of course be arranged.

Regards,

Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:

An American firm buys the company and moves it to California. They make fine guns but you won't buy one.

Hmmm. If this is true, and it is:

quote:
but you won't buy one.

...what makes you think this is ?:

quote:
They make fine guns

quote:
Someone starts building them again in London and you are all convinced of it's quality and are ready to buy a "real" Rigby before you have even seen one. They will sell better if that jack up the price so they can really take advantage of you.

You're confused. That's already been tried - for 12 years now - and didn't work. If you'll re-read this string, you'll see how impressed those who've posted have been with the name "Rigby" - a name identified with the among the highest quality standards in the trade - stamped on something that wasn't.

quote:
If they stamped the London label on it you guys would buy it even if it was the shittiest double ever.

Roll Eyes Trading on name alone hasn't cut it - that's why this is happening. Trading on a traditional gunmaking center alone hasn't got a prayer either, but I gather you're too prejudiced to get a clue.

No one here has said that he's got his wallet out yet. These folks are in the right place to obtain the skilled labor needed to do the job properly, but that's no guarantee. If the quality is there, they'll succeed. If not, they won't, and the Rigby name will be twice burned.
------------------------------------

Well put 400.

Time will tell whether these fellows are worthy of the name but as you say, they have certainly done as much to help themselves as possible.

There is not much point arguing about it yet gentlemen, I'll try and get some close up pictures and post them here, in the meanwhile perhaps a ceasefire?

Regards,

Amir

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:

When are you in London next Steve?

Such things can of course be arranged.

Regards,

Amir

I don't have any plans to come over for a while (emergencies excepted) but if I do make it over there, I'll be sure to come and look.

Alternatively, maybe I'll get to see one over here!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rigby/California's most basic DR is a boxlock at $32,500. Rigby/London isn't going to offer boxlocks. Their "working" gun is a lightly engraved sidelock that starts at under $17,000. Hmmm. It's going to be interesting to see what the quality is like.
------------------------------------------

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd be prepared to bet the quality will be pretty damn good if that particular engraver has agreed to put his name to the product.

Time will tell though.

Added

Let's face it, the California Rigby doubles were vastly overpriced for what they were. I wish them well but if they want to sell their product, they really could do with improving quality and/or dropping prices.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:

Rigby/California's most basic DR is a boxlock at $32,500. Rigby/London isn't going to offer boxlocks. Their "working" gun is a lightly engraved sidelock that starts at under $17,000. Hmmm. It's going to be interesting to see what the quality is like.
------------------------------------------

400 Nitro Express:

It will inded be interesting to see what the quality is. Remember now that anyone can put up a web site and open a shop. I would be willing to bet that if this new company does produce a gun it will be with German steel amd it will be made "in the trade". There are few companies left like Holland & Holland that still make their rifles from the ground up and their round action sidelock sold for $50,000. I would not be surprised at all if these guns are built on frames from a third party just like the California Rigbys. We'll see. Me, I'm sticking with the Germans. You can't beat a K-gun for the money. Searcy makes a hell of a gun as well and if I wanted a "bespoke" gun, that's where I would be heading.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
how much would you be willing to bet, sir

best

peter

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Dave,

You'll excuse me for saying so, but if you think for a millisecond that a Searcy and/or similar are the same quality as a bespoke English double, then you're very seriously misinformed.

I don't mean to knock Searcy and similar rifles in any way. Sure, they're good rifles, but a bespoke English double will be as good in 100 years time as it is when it's new and it's an exquisite work of art.......... A Searcy and similar, whilst good working firearms, are no-where near the same quality.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are few companies left like Holland & Holland that still make their rifles from the ground up and their round action sidelock sold for $50,000.

You're misinformed.

quote:
You'll excuse me for saying so, but if you think for a millisecond that a Searcy and/or similar are the same quality as a bespoke English double, then you're very seriously misinformed

Agreed, Steve.
---------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Okay guys, I give up. Steve, if you believe that an English gun is a work or art and somehow thousands of dollars superior to a Seacy, Heym, or a Krieghoff then so be it. The bottom line here is it's your money and you have to spend it how you see fit.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE