THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Bailey Bradshaw Double Rifle - Delivered!!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bailey Bradshaw Double Rifle - Delivered!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
I took delivery of my Bailey Bradshaw double rifle this afternoon, and if it shoots as good as it looks, it was worth the wait. I will post range results this weekend.
I hope the photos show off the CCH, which in my opinion, is as good as any I have seen. Also, the fit of the skeleton grip and skeleton butt were top notch, and the cocking indicators and bolted safe were very pleasant "surprises". Had I known Bailey was installing a bolted safety, I might have asked him to inlay "bolted" in small gold letters next to the lever. That would have given it a real "Best Gun" look. As is, it is pretty darned nice. Your comments are welcome.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Let me be the first to congratulate you.
Magnificent.
Cal
PS. Not too late to have 'bolted' added.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks really well built but it appears very wide/thick around the chamber area.
How easy is it to carry with one hand wrapped around the action?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Looks really well built but it appears very wide/thick around the chamber area.
How easy is it to carry with one hand wrapped around the action?

Not hard at all - this rifle is built more like an epee than a saber

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
this rifle is built more like an epee than a saber

Admiral, your swashbuckling past is showing through! Very nice piece!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Did I miss caliber? I also believe BB has Doug Turnbull do CCH, right?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x74R, and yes on Turnbull.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Life is too short with an ugly gun. You should just send it to me. I hunt it for you.
Seriously, Nice looking play purty.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
9.3x74R, and yes on Turnbull.

Actually, Bailey did the CCH in house. I am sure he would take it as a compliment that they were done by Doug Turnbull. I asked the same question myself.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A beauty, sir! Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, Bailey did the CCH in house

Really, Wow! That's quite a job!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Love the striped straight grain, butt plate on top of being a BB double falling block.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Someday Ill kick the magazine rifle habit and purchase a nice DR. Congrats!

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Looks good Admiral. I'm very happy for you. Let us know how she shoots!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle!! tu2

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has peen posted I have missed it, so here is my question.

Are these doubles extractors or ejectors?

ie. If you shoot the right barrel, and drop the lever to reload, what happens???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
That is really REALLY nice! Congratulations!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is fantastic!! Wood to metal fit looks exceptionally well done. Only thing Id have added is a cheek piece. The bolted safety is a really nice touch!!

NE 450 No2, maybe Bailey or Sub can confirm but I think the action is strictly speaking an extractor mechanism although due to the strong camming action of the lever and link inside the action, with a swift flick fo the lever shells are kicked out pretty smartly much like an ejector. Being a purely mechanical system with no springs to break, it would seem to be an great system.

Can't wait to see some range results!!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matabele:
That is fantastic!! Wood to metal fit looks exceptionally well done. Only thing Id have added is a cheek piece. The bolted safety is a really nice touch!!

NE 450 No2, maybe Bailey or Sub can confirm but I think the action is strictly speaking an extractor mechanism although due to the strong camming action of the lever and link inside the action, with a swift flick fo the lever shells are kicked out pretty smartly much like an ejector. Being a purely mechanical system with no springs to break, it would seem to be an great system.

Can't wait to see some range results!!

Matabele - your characterization of the extraction system is spot on. As an example, if only one barrel is fired and the lever thrown to the down position, the fired case extracts about half the way out and the unfired case extracts about an inch. So, it is kind of inbetween extraction and ejection.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Good looking piece Admiral, congratulations. On the extractors, if they are anywhere close to the one on my Shiloh-Sharps, they work just like ejectors, even with minimal force of the lever. Great system.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Well, I could not wait until tomorrow to get out to the range, so I took an hour off at lunch and shot my new Bradshaw rifle. After shooting the target below, I went to the 100 yard line to shoot at the 12"x12" steel. 2 shots - 2 loud clangs! The rifle shoots better than I can for sure. This shooting today was with iron sights. I can't wait to see what it will do with the scope mounted.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I love it and want one!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very beautilful rifle. May it give you many good hunting memories on all continents patriot

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I truly LOVE B.B. Farquharson D/R's.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a lovely rifle and great workmanship.

What does it weigh?

Best wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
What a lovely rifle and great workmanship.

What does it weigh?

Best wishes, Chris

Chris - the rifle weighs 8 1/2 pounds, and it is very well balanced.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Admiral! tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey,
As you are aware, I understand a little of the mechanics of building a double rifle, although my meager skills are light years from yours. I just want to say that what you have built for subsailor is not just a nice double rifle, it is a work of art. Any man, anywhere, in any age, would be proud to call this craftsmanship his!

Best,
Ron.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as usual nice work on Baileys part but we who know him expect nothing less. my will be done in june i think can't wait even though i have been able to shot a few of baileys rifle it will totally different when it's mine i get to shot and take home. I always enjoy going to baileys shop for an afternoon of swapping stories and shooting. see ya soon BB

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always enjoy going to baileys shop for an afternoon of swapping stories and shooting.

Bailey wishes he could say the same :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Play nice beibs I still have the picture proving you un natural love/affection for bears. I can only hope that kind of thing did not carry over to your mother shocker Big Grin rotflmo rotflmo jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle! I like BB's CCH finish for this kind of rifle - looks more traditional British than Turnbull's work.

That rifle is saying "Take me huinting". I can hear it all the way here in NZ!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Fantastic looking and shooting also. Looking forward to more info about the rifle.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Sub! Just wondering if you have managed to get any more range time in with your Bradshaw double and the scope attached? Any pros/cons to name yet?

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Sub! Just wondering if you have managed to get any more range time in with your Bradshaw double and the scope attached? Any pros/cons to name yet?

Not much more to report on right now. I leave for Harare this coming Wednesday. I have a 14 day leopard/plains game hunt booked at Shangani with Mike Payne. I will shoot my new double more when I return to the States in April.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:

Not much more to report on right now. I leave for Harare this coming Wednesday. I have a 14 day leopard/plains game hunt booked at Shangani with Mike Payne. I will shoot my new double more when I return to the States in April.

You mean and leave the new baby home!!!!! I don't know a bout you but with that kind of shooting it will be right there on the plane with me.

Not only a very beautiful gun but a good shotter too, congrats.

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malek:
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:

You mean and leave the new baby home!!!!! I don't know a bout you but with that kind of shooting it will be right there on the plane with me.

Not only a very beautiful gun but a good shotter too, congrats.

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Malek - While everything you say is true, the Bailey Bradshaw double has to wait in line behind my V-C 450/400 and my Montana Arms .416 Rigby, neither one of which has taken an African animal as yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admiral, have a great hunt

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to you on your hunt Admiral! I hope you score on a huge spotted tree cat!!

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Best wishes to you on your hunt Admiral! I hope you score on a huge spotted tree cat!!

Thanks Biebs and Todd - I will write all about it when I return.