THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What have I got myself into? My first Double Rifle
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have I got myself into? My first Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
https://auctions.holtsauctione...fno=++126698&image=4

I saw this on Holts and bid a cheeky 2000 GBP. I forgot about it and did not even ask for a report from them on the rifle.

I got an email today with invoice asking me to pay for the rifle!

I am shocked.

How am I going to explain this to the wife?

I have to pay 2500 GBP including premium and probably another 400 GBP in shipping etc. NZ may charge me 200 GBP in GST.

Total about US$4100. Then the dies, cases, bullets and cost of reloading!

Help!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
old

‘‘Tis easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission “

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pain will be temporary and well worth the result!

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In total, a great price for a early Verney Carron!

Posts: 20091 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You better hope you have an understanding wife... even so, your gonna be out another couple K for jewelry, flowers, and chocolates. Hopefully it won’t also include a funeral!

Wink

Posts: 10666 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Been nice knowing you bro!

Big Grin

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc. You are a true friend! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
You better hope you have an understanding wife... even so, your gonna be out another couple K for jewelry, flowers, and chocolates. Hopefully it won’t also include a funeral!

Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck Naki, it'll be worth the Ass whoopin Cool

The rifle will last longer than the pain.......

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
You got a 470 at half the price,what is your problem Big Grin you can always send it to me Wink

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn good buy Naki...and in the right caliber.. tu2

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice early Verney Carron.. must be a bargain tu2 w
Then you can head over to 2Pipe and compare With his VC's ... I guess he does not have the splinter shape of the foreend ...

Wondering why VC left the splinter for a while and got over to thick beavertails...

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. Congratulations Big Grin

Enjoy it and have fun.

Nice weight too.

DRSS

Posts: 1910 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Very simple.
Tell the Mrs. the rifle is hers--a gift from you.
Second, tell her she can buy you the reloading for your birthday and you'll reload her ammo.
Cal
PS. This explains why I'm still single.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I'd consider a nice double for $4100 all-in a pleasant surprise...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell her it's something you always wanted and a bargain that will only appreciate in value--and to get over it.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You did good, damn good. $4100, I'd say you committed the perfect crime.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:

Wondering why VC left the splinter for a while and got over to thick beavertails...

Morten

Damned good question. It's like thinking Cindy Crawford would be more attractive with an extra 40 pounds to "hang on to" instead of just wrapping your arms around a beautiful / svelte body in the first place.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This proves the the double rifle market is soft as mush (as in, gasping for air) and ain't coming back any time soon, I predict.
Nice rifle.

Posts: 17136 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately and fortunately my wife doesn’t know one gun from another. Similar happened to me last year. Put a what I thought was low a bid on 500bpe and Dam if I didn’t win. Congrats and enjoy. And always have one account with just your name on it. For just such emergencies

Posts: 3453 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
Has anyone in America bought a gun from them? What is the process for doing so? I have found a couple I wish to bid on next time they’re up.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AK_Stick:
Has anyone in America bought a gun from them? What is the process for doing so? I have found a couple I wish to bid on next time they’re up.

I've bid on and won several rifles from Holts. PM for details but I will be up in the arctic for the next three days and out of communication.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It is morning here in God's own / God Zone!

We had fresh snow on the mountain and our first real frost of the winter. Bright and sunny outside. And I read all this supportive stuff. That is great therapy! Big Grin

Dies, shell holder, cases and bullets will cost me another US$2000.

Yes I noticed the slimmer fore end (for a European rifle) and the nice weight. I hope it fits and balances well.

I found the money. So she should be on her way home soon.

Any suggestions on how to have it packed? What kind of gun case? They have a Sabatti case https://auctions.holtsauctione...fno=++113897&image=0 and a few other modern ones. also many traditional leather & canvass ones.

One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
Originally posted by AK_Stick:

I've bid on and won several rifles from Holts. PM for details but I will be up in the arctic for the next three days and out of communication.
Cal

Ok, I won’t be home till next weekend, so I’ll message you then. Thanks!

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

Dies, shell holder, cases and bullets will cost me another US$2000.

I'm not sure where you are shopping but those items shouldn't cost anything near that amount.

A couple of boxes of 20 brass cases should be about $70 each.

A couple of hundred bullets at $70 per box of 50, $280

RCBS dies $170

Shell Holder $20

Primers and Powder - $150 or so.

So all in you're looking at about $760. Of course those are US prices from Midway USA. Maybe it's a bit more in your neck of the woods.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Todd

You are right. I was looking at 100 cases and 400 bullets. Probably lead cavity dies as well.

I will get them all from Reloading International.

I will have to pay 15% GST here.

Also I need a crimping die.

Another exciting project after my 416 Rigby 5 years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the Rifle. I always buy my wife something equal to the value of the Rifle. I try to coordinate her gift before my gift arrives.

Sometimes I buy the new gun for her. As long as I do not say too loudly that it is mine like “her” Model 70 supergrade 270. She even lets me get away with it.

Posts: 10970 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd

You are right. I was looking at 100 cases and 400 bullets. Probably lead cavity dies as well.

You can crimp with your die set,you do not need a separate crimp die,I do not crimp my 470 rounds anyways.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I also won a rifle at Holts but I can't get onthe site.
Can you post pics of your new treasure?
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd

Nice purchase Naki and something to occupy you for a while developing loads etc. As Todd suggests a couple of boxes of 20 cases is all you will need for a while. Apart from brass from factory ammo I fire off very occasionally, 2 packets of 20 RWS cases for my 404 are still going strong since 1978, in fact one box is still untouched.
Not too many DG animals here in NZ to tax the big bores and I have got as much fun from casting and shooting lead bullets.
The big bores are relatively low pressure and easy on cases, just anneal necks and shoulders frequently to prevent splitting. My primer pockets are still tight.

Should be able to get cases and bullets here in NZ and if casting no need for hundreds of jacketed round, spend your money on a good bullet mould. At the velocities the big bores operate at, hard cast lead will work well and give the same big thump if that is what you want, or load down with some fast shotgun powder for easy on the shoulder and gun shooting. Cheap as dirt for bunnies, possums and at around 1300-1500fps will knock deer, pigs and goats over easy enough.

Keep us posted.

Posts: 3861 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A good mate just sold the exact gun to another friend for substantially more than that and its a good gun

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Adam

Thanks for the thumbs up. Was it this specific rifle or an identical model?

I know that the price is ridiculously cheap. Including shipping and 15% GST in NZ, I guess it is about half of current market price.

quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
A good mate just sold the exact gun to another friend for substantially more than that and its a good gun

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Adam

Thanks for the thumbs up. Was it this specific rifle or an identical model?

I know that the price is ridiculously cheap. Including shipping and 15% GST in NZ, I guess it is about half of current market price.

quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Identical

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought 6 guns from them now. Have an independent person (I use Diggory Hadoke to look over several firearms and he gives accurate descriptions) to look over the guns in question. Holt's doesn't give the most accurate account or description. You really have to ask every conceivable question of them.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate.

I have now got 20 Norma cases from Gunworks.

Ross Collings of Outdoor supplies in Carterton has more.

I have found 1 pkt of Barnes TSX.

The guy in Tokoroa may have Woodleigh bullets.

So I need the dies, pilot, shell holder

quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Todd

Nice purchase Naki and something to occupy you for a while developing loads etc. As Todd suggests a couple of boxes of 20 cases is all you will need for a while. Apart from brass from factory ammo I fire off very occasionally, 2 packets of 20 RWS cases for my 404 are still going strong since 1978, in fact one box is still untouched.
Not too many DG animals here in NZ to tax the big bores and I have got as much fun from casting and shooting lead bullets.
The big bores are relatively low pressure and easy on cases, just anneal necks and shoulders frequently to prevent splitting. My primer pockets are still tight.

Should be able to get cases and bullets here in NZ and if casting no need for hundreds of jacketed round, spend your money on a good bullet mould. At the velocities the big bores operate at, hard cast lead will work well and give the same big thump if that is what you want, or load down with some fast shotgun powder for easy on the shoulder and gun shooting. Cheap as dirt for bunnies, possums and at around 1300-1500fps will knock deer, pigs and goats over easy enough.

Keep us posted.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I told the wife today.

I am still alive! Big Grin

I have started selling a few old guns I never use and a couple of scope that have no home.

Paid for a set of Redding dies from Brownells and the 20 cases locally. I now need the bullets and the rifle itself.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
I told the wife today.

I am still alive! Big Grin

I have started selling a few old guns I never use and a couple of scope that have no home.

Paid for a set of Redding dies from Brownells and the 20 cases locally. I now need the bullets and the rifle itself.

You are lucky, haven't you heard you can be skinned alive Big Grin

Glad you managed to get some supplies here in NZ to get going with, surprising what is around sometimes considering we don't really have much need for the big bores here. I can't recall if you do cast or use cast bullets but I would strongly suggest you do get a mould even just for someone else to cast them for you with your mould. So much more enjoyable blasting off these cheap bullets and especially if using the squib type loadings with a shotgun or pistol powder. I find at at 25-100metres my 404 cast at about 1400fps shoot to same POI as jacketed loads. Your double maybe a little different trying to get regulation but would be fun trying and real cheap cost too. Try and get some Vectan AS powder if you decide to go down this road, just perfect for light cast loads.

You mentioned the need for a crimping die but you shouldn't need to crimp. The recoil will tend to pull the bullets out of the case in a double so the case mouth crimped in a crimping groove will not prevent that and often it seems the act of crimping if not done very carefully actually can release neck tension. Crimping for bolt action is advised where the cartridges can slam to the front of the magazine under recoil and drive bullets back into the case.

Usually with cast you size a little over bore size so case necks will have a very good hold on the bullet anyway. Crimping sometimes helps ignition and accuracy but good neck tension will do that better and annealing helps in this regard by making neck tension consistent. I anneal my 404 cases every second firing now, I'm such a scrooge I hate losing cases even to the extent of silver soldering neck splits that occurred on a few cases earlier before I started regularly annealing, cases still good for cast loads.

I have one Hornady factory loaded nickel plated 470NE round in my collection, a well balanced formidable looking cartridge, you are in for some fun. Can't wait to hear how you get on.

Posts: 3861 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My Tikka LSA55 in 222Rem is sold after 25 years of great service. The most accurate rifle I ever owned. But I just do not use it any more & my son is not keen on it either.

Also sold a Leupold VXR scope that was sitting around for a few years.

The Brass arrived and the dies and shell holder & trim pilot are coming from Brownells.

The brass is very impressive. Bigger than even my 416 Rigby!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would appreciate any suggestions on cast bullet set up. I have zero experience with cast bullets.

What is the minimum set up required ? I am inclined towards max 400 gr bullets gas checked. Can I go even lighter for practice loads?

What is the minimum mould, die, gas check, punch etc.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Naki,
I shot a lot of cast through my first 470,it was a merkel,nice thick barrels,Micheal458 did a lot of research on bullets & pressures,cast bullets were way up there for pressure,possibly because of being slightly oversized,I do not use cast anymore for that reason,although my Merkel showed no ill effects & I killed a lot of pigs using the cast performance 400'ish gr bullets.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill.

I am new to casting and would like to know what minimum set up I need.

Photos would help.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Naki,
I shot a lot of cast through my first 470,it was a merkel,nice thick barrels,Micheal458 did a lot of research on bullets & pressures,cast bullets were way up there for pressure,possibly because of being slightly oversized,I do not use cast anymore for that reason,although my Merkel showed no ill effects & I killed a lot of pigs using the cast performance 400'ish gr bullets.