THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What have I got myself into? My first Double Rifle
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have I got myself into? My first Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Its been a while since i posted. took the rifle out with new loads of 92gr Re15 and the regulation looks much more promising. 4 shots in less than 3 inches. 3 of those were within 1.5 inches.

I am using separate targets. So I need to find a way of transposing them to illustrate composite group.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Hey Naki:

When your ex-wife dispatches and dismembers you, can I have your double rifle? dancing

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I just wish I had seen this rifle before you did!

...…………………………......…………. CRYBABY old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Send me a PM if you are serious.

Very easy for me to export from NZ. All I need is your US import permit.... and my money of course Wink

quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I just wish I had seen this rifle before you did!

...…………………………......…………. CRYBABY old

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I guess another problem with Elmer's outlook could be that while separate loads might get the barrels together at a certain range, if their velocities were different, they would have different trajectories at longer distances.

Such a situation might be managed in an O/U (where you might say, ah, 200 yards - the top barrel zeroes there); not so good in a S/S, I fear.

The above is the first loading for someone who has never owned, or loaded for a double rifle.
The thinking process that tries to make both barrels punch the same hole on target at any distance. If that is found one must be ready to accept the fact that what they have come up with is the distance they are shooting is the distance where the shots are CROSSING, not shooting parallel as they should.

If a double is shooting in one hole at any distance the windage will cross and get wider as the bullets go down range.

True regulation will print the CENTER of EACH bullets group should be the same distance on it's own side of the aiming point on the target. What you are trying to achieve is a COMPOSIT GROUP of BOTH BARRELS with each barrels CENTER OF GROUP equal distance on it's own side of the aiming point on the target, with both barrels spilling over into the other barrels group. Then and only then with the rifle be shooting a proper regulation composite no matter the range.

…………………………………………………………….. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

My latest load - 92 gr Re15. Looks very good to me. Open sight & no peep at 50 meters. Shooting after 6 months. I need to chronograph the load. I expect it to be around 2150 fps from experience with 90 gr Re15 earlier.

I definitely shoot better with this load than the 100gr of AR2209 or N150. Noticeably less recoil.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
A member PMed me about recoil formula etc.

I ran the number on a web calculator and was surprised to see how similar a 416 Rigby is to a 470 NE with 0.7 lbs lighter rifle

470 NE 416 Rigby
Rifle weight 10.2 lbs 9.5 lbs
Bullet weight 500 400
Powder charge 92 96
Velocity 2140 2450
Recoil Energy ft lbs 73.26 71.16

The BIG difference was how the two rifles fit me and how they handled. The CZ definitely felt lighter and quicker. The FELT recoil seemed to be significantly less.