THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    The Double Rifle Bullet of the Future!
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Double Rifle Bullet of the Future!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Did you ever get enough interest to do a run on .468 bullets? If so, I would
be quite interested, Thanks, Jim

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jungleboy:
Michael,

Jim

No man, never have got to .468, but not for lack of interest, but for me personally lacking anything to shoot them in. As I recall Don was trying to get some of you 465 guys together to have a run of 15 boxes done, but he never got any interest built up.

If interested start a new thread here, see if you can churn any interest up and we will get a run done!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Turned a page, and I would not want those that are interested to miss the barrel strains so I am posting the last two done again.

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great info! Thanks for the hard work and many hours you put in to these reports. I view this post often but there is not much info that I could add!!! hilbily
I ordered some 416 NonCon from CEB and Dave wrote on the invoice that I was sent the correct item, but the number I ordered (internet) was now a new number. He did not want me to think that I was recieving the wrong item. THAT IS A PERSONAL TOUCH FROM A COMPANY!
I like the way the NonCon shot so far and plan on shooting them at some real targets Wink very soon!!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hi Skip

Thanks, but no thanks needed, I enjoy the work and I always like to learn something from it myself. Many things have come from the barrel strain work and the filler work that have really been eye opening, for myself, Sam, and many others. I really don't have a dog in the fight, as I don't have a double, and likely never will, bolt trash guy myself, and that even being limited to Winchester M70s. Personally the division between bolt/double has never held much water for me, I just consider the double rifle another big bore rifle, different type of action. No different than I would look at a big bore rifle in single shot, or lever action. Each one has it's attributes, and it's short comings, end of story! Same thing Auto vs Revolver, and on and on. Just gives some folks something to either argue over, or have conversation is all. So regardless of whether I own or shoot doubles, it's still just a big bore rifle and cartridge to me. As for some of the barrel strain data, 458 in particular, it matters not that I did the test in a bolt gun. That barrel does not know it's attached to a bolt instead of a double, and expansion that a bullet causes is just that. This work also falls in line with the work Sam and I did in his 470 Nitro double. So it is valid as well. As would anything else that I decided to hook up at some time. The barrel and the bullet they don't know this which allows me to shoot anything and everything without worrying of doing damage to the more expensive doubles! HEH............

When you put the NonCon to flesh, You will be hooked from then on, and you will understand what is happening once you do this, and witness it in person. These things have it all, accurate, lower chamber pressures, lower barrel strain for doubles, and terminals that quite truthfully can't be matched. Solids the same as well. We have found no downsides to the bullets at all and we look hard!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
quote:
Originally posted by Jungleboy:
Michael,

Jim

No man, never have got to .468, but not for lack of interest, but for me personally lacking anything to shoot them in. As I recall Don was trying to get some of you 465 guys together to have a run of 15 boxes done, but he never got any interest built up.

If interested start a new thread here, see if you can churn any interest up and we will get a run done!

Michael

Thanks Michael. I still have the same interest. Smiler

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Just ordered some solids and Non-cons in .620, .409 and .375 as well as Talons Tips for the .375.

If I weren't heading out for whitetail with pop, brother and cousins tomorrow, I'd have picked up some .308 as well but no time to get them and sight-in.

Excellent results by all who have reported on them.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
And I wonder how many we would need to order to get a run for .245 bore ...
Someone mentioned .243 works fine though ...

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc, What are you shooting that's .245?

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Nothing yet, Srose but working with Kebco and Verney-Carron to build me a 240 Flanged Nitro Express so I can use the brass I imported from Kynoch and custom RCBS dies I bought for a project I was cheated out of.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Don

No thanks needed, sooner or later we will be able to get a run done for you guys.

Todays bullet tech is just incredible. Not so many years ago something like Doc is talking, .245, that would have been a dead horse, never to revive. Not today, if you can imagine it, it can be done with relative ease, and a reasonable price to boot! Fantastic! And, no sacrifice of terminals or any other aspect either!

Not sure what we can do for doubles in the future, we have done barrel strains, filler tests, terminals the works! I suppose sometime in the future we might could hook up and do some more barrel strains on another caliber, but I suspect the results are going to be the same as what we have already seen with few exceptions. So not sure it's worth the effort. Currently I am out of the pressure trace business. Last week after the last strain test I sent the whole works back to the company, computer, PT 1, PT II everything to be totally updated with the newest and greatest whatever. It may be some few weeks I am afraid before the two systems return. I made sure to get the last barrel strain in, and also the pressures on the 475 B&M done before sending.

I've enjoyed the projects we have worked on, and have learned a great deal myself. I am sure Sam and I will come up with some other things in the near future to keep us entertained! HEH.......

Michael

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
FYI, my H&H .240 flanged shoots .243 Remington bullets much better than the custom .245 Speers.

Go figure! bewildered

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't need a double rifle bullet of the future, I use the double out of pure nostalgia and it needs a RN woodleigh soft and solid. I gave in to the North Fork cup point, but even that good bullet turned me off and was regulated to my bolt guns..

I am not interested in modern society and in new inventions when I am in the high grass of Tanzania. I am there to escape this shit,..

I would prefer they used those bullets in the long range rifle camps where they have given up all hunting skills and shoot the legs of animals at up to 3000 yards, you never see that on TV...Oooops now I'm in trouble! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Ray:

I understand the point you are trying to make. In my 500 Jeffery, I shoot 535 grain Woodleigh PP and Woodleigh round nose solids just because they work and I want to avoid any possibility of a feeding problem. I have not had a chance to hunt with my 470 yet but I think I would opt for a 500 grain Woodleigh RN SF cause that's what it was regulated with and they shoot great. However, for a solid, I would pick a Barnes FN Banded Solid or one of Michael's BBW#13s. You can't stop progress Ray. These new bullets like the Woodleigh Hydro, North Fork, CEB are really something special. That doesn't mean the old standbys like the Noslers won't work. Of course they will.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I don't need a double rifle bullet of the future, I use the double out of pure nostalgia and it needs a RN woodleigh soft and solid. I gave in to the North Fork cup point, but even that good bullet turned me off and was regulated to my bolt guns..

I am not interested in modern society and in new inventions when I am in the high grass of Tanzania. I am there to escape this shit,..

I would prefer they used those bullets in the long range rifle camps where they have given up all hunting skills and shoot the legs of animals at up to 3000 yards, you never see that on TV...Oooops now I'm in trouble! sofa

I used to love the look of an old round nose bullet and I shoot doubles for nostalgia too. When I want to look at my doubles and round nose bullets I use an old blue nose soft point. After seeing how round nose solid bullets perform I'll use those ugly bullets from now on. Shoot what you want and have fun tracking.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
So Ray, when you go to Tanzania these days looking to get away from progress and do everything out of pure nostalgia, do you fly there or go by slow boat? Do you travel in the field by landcruiser or Oxcart? Do you take the Malaria prophylactics or just get sick?

bsflag

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Atkinson:
I don't need a double rifle bullet of the future, I use the double out of pure nostalgia and it needs a RN woodleigh soft and solid

Jesus, Another "Nostalgia Pimp"! rotflmo

quote:
Shoot what you want and have fun tracking.

animal

Todd--100% Spot on the money! Pure BS any way you cut it!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Todd, Michael:

I think this time you guys are being too hard on old Ray. Woodleigh makes a damn fine bonded core bullet and I don't think it's correct to say that RN solids don't work. Of course they do. People have been using them for a long time with great success. The Woodleigh bullets are particularly suited to double rifles because that's what most doubles were regulated with. In addition, as I indicated above, that's pretty much all I shoot in my .500 Jeffery to avoid any possibility of a feeding problem. Todd, how much game have you killed with Woodleigh softs and solids? I'll bet it's a bunch. To say that flat nose solids work 'better" does not mean that RN don't work. However, I will concede that the day of the round nose steel jacketed solid is probably coming to an end.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dave

I most certainly respect any position you might take on a subject, you know that. And I won't argue the position you state above, as I concur with the Woodleigh Soft, but do not concur with the RN of any make. Yes, they have worked, but for lack of anything better. Most of the time they work, but there are times that is in serious question.

Actual discussion concerning the bullets themselves is of no consequence. What is of consequence is "Old Ray" as you put it, seems to have chosen a path to directly confront me, not with actual data or any sort of "Real" or substantial conversation, but to in his words, "Pimp" another matter altogether. So you see, it's not a conversation actually about the bullets at all, it's some other matter, one of which I am not aware of exactly what it could be? Maybe because I am not "Caught Up in Nostalgia" at all, and I want better bullet performance and will not accept what was good 100-50 years ago as being good enough! You know folks always attack anything new, especially the "Dinosaurs".

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Michael:

I believe Ray's comments about bullet "pimping" were, for lack of a better word, ungentlemanly" at best. Don't let him get under your skin.

Woodleigh makes a damn fine expanding bullet. I can tell you that their RN solid will sizzle through the biggest bison. I think they work but I also think that you are correct in your belief that the day of the RN solid may be coming to an end. Your BBW$13 is the real deal. They turn even marginal calibers into stone cold killers. I have a feeling that the RN/FN solid debate relates mostly to elephant anyway. Some bolt guns won't feed FN solids and some doubles don't regulate with FN solids. You just have to pick your poison.

Ray, damn it. You owe Michael an apology. Get it done. You're a better man than that.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should just shoot patched round balls over black powder. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

Woodleigh makes a damn fine expanding bullet.

If you like making lead pancakes...they are ideal!

I went out to my shop to get some .510 (.500 NE) Woodleigh softs that I dug out of my test media...but not find them at the moment. The look like silver dollars.

Mike Brady...the inventor of North Fork bullets...will also tell you they are the perfect lead pancake batter.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The discussion reminds me of the famous mis-quote of the patent office director that there was "nothing left to invent."

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
One more thought. I retired on May 31, 2011 after nearly 24 years on the bench. In countless number of jury trials I gave the same instruction to the jury just prior of to submission of the case for deliberation. In part, it went "you should deliberate with open minds, freely exchange views and opinions concerning the case, give respectful consideration to the opinions of your fellow jurors and not be afraid to change your mind when reason and logic so dictate." Food for thought.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave, I've actually never shot a Woodliegh bullet at all. I'm a Barnes guy, or at least, used to be. I'm becoming a CEB guy now at least for the larger stuff. Until I broke the code on the scoped Chapuis, I was desperate to find something that worked in my rifle so considered buying some Woodleigh to see how they regulate. But that is beside the point here really.

As Michael stated, Ray has chosen to attack him. For my involvement in this thread, I'm still a bit new here but when I first joined AR, I noticed a lot of comments coming out of this fellow who has 20,000 posts and seemingly a lot of experience, that kept saying things that were in direct opposition to my experiences. A small sample "Keep your scope in your backpack because if you need it, you'll have plenty of time to put it on. You never have enough time to take it off when you don't." Well I say BS to that too. When I run across an animal that I want to shoot, I seldom have had the luxury of time to stop, unload my backpack, and mount a scope before the animal runs off. On the other hand, I have shot an animal that subsequently ran into the thick stuff and had ALL DAY if I wanted it to take the scope off and do the follow up. But because I was new, I kept my mouth shut out of seniority, so to speak.

I've seen enough at this point though to say this fellow is FULL OF SHIT. Maybe it's possible but I have never heard of a quality double rifle going off face the first time it is shot! And so on, and so on, etc.!!!

The guy states that anything over 40 caliber recoils too much for ANYONE to recover quickly for a follow on shot. Watch my elephant hunt video that I posted and tell me that the second shot that was placed in the shoulder and taking out the heart WHILE THE ANIMAL WAS DROPPING FROM THE FRONTAL BRAIN SHOT is evidence of too much recoil. And that was from a 500NE!!!

I'm sorry Dave as I respect your opinion and I certainly don't intend this rant to be directed in your direction. I just hate BS and it's time someone called it on this guy!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Actually Ray is a pretty good old boy. I like him a lot. Just have to take some of his stuff with a grain of salt.

A good friend told me this told me this story.

When he was a young man trying to decide "how to make it"...he told me his Grandpa told him: "Charlie...you're a pretty good old boy...problem is...their just ain't much call for good old boys anymore."

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
In part, it went "you should deliberate with open minds, freely exchange views and opinions concerning the case, give respectful consideration to the opinions of your fellow jurors and not be afraid to change your mind when reason and logic so dictate." Food for thought.

Dave, an excellent way to view things! It's very difficult to do this many times, although I try, it's very hard and I sometimes fail myself. The above is something we should all strive to do.

Actually I have nothing against Atkinson one way or the other. I still don't. Even after I think he called me a "Pimp". To be totally honest, I know exactly what I am and who I am, and in truth his opinion, well just don't mean anything when you get down to it. But if you are going to poke a sleeping lion, you might as well get ready to be mauled! LOL...Damn, that was a good line eh? I wish I could remember all these things! LOL.... rotflmo

Now folks should not get me wrong, there are some really good Woodleigh bullets. And, we must all remember, All Woodleighs are not created equal. You know how you can pretty much go from one weight or even caliber in Barnes TSX, Swift A Frames, and many more and you get pretty much the same deal, change the velocity and you will get some different results, but all pretty much the same. Not so with some Woodleighs. Some of the larger caliber, .510 and up are for sure pancakes as Todd points out, I have seen them, have done them. In 458 caliber the 500 gr soft is a dandy at velocity from 2000-2250, 2250 being upper end. I have shot buffalo first shot with these, great results. As I recall the 470 softs are pretty good as well. But the all time favorite for me was the .416 340 Woodleigh pointy one. I used that in Tanzania as my light bullet in my light rifle, 416 Remington in a Win M70, of course. It was a hammer of a bullet for zebra, hartebeast, Roan (good story on the Roan) and my one and only leopard. When I designed the 416 B&M I figured if I could do nothing else but shoot that 340 Woodleigh in it, then I would be happy with that one bullet for all thin skinned critters I would ever shoot in 416 caliber. It still is a great bullet, for a conventional. Today, if I wanted a conventional for that role, I think the 325 North Fork is a bit better bullet overall. But nothing against Woodleigh bullets at all.

Lane and Dave, not sure exactly what Atkinsons problem is with me, I have actually never had a conversation with him? But, don't matter it is what it is. I expect I will be just as cantankerous one of these days myself, or at least I plan on it! HEH HEH.................

No problems boys, no worries! It will sort out in the end!

Todd, I have not heard anything out of you after the Barrel Strain Test????

Michael

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane and Dave, not sure exactly what Atkinsons problem is with me, I have actually never had a conversation with him? But, don't matter it is what it is. I expect I will be just as cantankerous one of these days myself, or at least I plan on it! HEH HEH.................

No problems boys, no worries! It will sort out in the end!

Michael

Like I said...if you follow his logic...he should be shooting patched round balls or at least paper patched pure lead conicals.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I have offended anyone, and especially Micahael by using the word bullet pimp then I must apologize it was my approach to humor, Apparantly some are more thin skinned than I realized so again I am sorry..I have referred to myself as a gun pimp on ocassions.

That said, the post itself was made mostly in humor..I thought most of you realized that I field tested the first flat nose solids, and I have said many times the NF cup point is one of my all time favorite bullets in my doubles.

I will try in the future to keep humor out of my posts and keep these forums as boring as possible.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think you are all missing the point of this thread. When it was started it was to introduce you to a design of bullet that would be safer to shoot in a double rifle than a STEEL JACKETED or MONO LONG BEARING SURFACE BULLET. The original 2 band bullet had about the same barrel strain as the original Kynoch solids and chamber pressures were much lower than factory ammo. Either period or current ammo. Whether you like round nose or flat nose it really doesn't matter. The band design is the main thing and we tried to make a bullet that would work for everyone and every gun. Ideas from many people gave us things to test and a bullet maker willing to do what we asked gave us a very good bullet. Those of you that say the round nose steel jacketed bullet is the best bullet well if I was shooting a period double rifle and wanted to shoot this type of bullet the original Kynoch thin walled bullet would be the only one I'd shoot. Sorry I'm long winded! The original Kynoch cordite loaded solids had the least barrel strain of any tested and some of the other steel jacketed solids had the highest.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well now, that got your attention eh? The Double Rifle Bullet of the Future! Sorta catchy I think!

HI all, those of you that don't know me, I am just Michael, I stay upstairs for the most part in the big bore forum, but I have something that is so very important, or at least I think it is, I simply must share it with you, as it pertains more to you than it does even to me. I am a bullet nut, and love solid bullets. I started the Terminal Performance Thread upstairs from you last November.

So what do I have for you, and what in the hell am I talking about, the Double Rifle Bullet of the Future?

Well here is the story! My good friend and buddy, SRose, you boys see him here from time to time. We have been working hard for many months testing new nose profiles for solids to see what we could come up with. Sam does the bullet making, I do the testing! Some time ago I handed him a sample of a bullet, and asked if he could come up with something. Well he did, several variations of the nose profile, and just so happens we hit on one, we call it the BBW #13, as it has a 13 degree nose angle! Penetration is extreme with this bullet, it's dead straight line penetration, and it seems to go across to any caliber we have tested and worked with, and that has been fairly extensive. Please, if you want to know more, got up to the Terminal Bullet Performance thread, they are posted there. Currently we are working on these bullets with Cutting Edge Bullets, new to the dangerous game bullet market. All CNC bullets, copper or brass of course. I have placed orders now for this bullet in my own .500 caliber rifles, and in addition to that .510 caliber, 474 caliber, .458 caliber, 416 caliber, to work thru my bolt guns and my own cartridges the B&M Series.

Now Sam is our double rifle fan, and expert as far as I am concerned. Sam owns a lot of double rifles, I don't know how many, I have seen a dozen different ones so far, and I am quite sure I have not seen them all! Sam wanted this BBW #13 for his double rifles too. It's performance enhances the capabilities of any and all cartridges you can put it in! But our concern was shooting monos that are ill designed in the double rifles, splitting the barrels apart and so forth, and whatever damage you can do to one. I am not a double expert, but understand the concept. Sam came up with several band designs that we have been trying and working with in his doubles. We sent prototypes to Cutting Edge Bullets, from here out known as CEB! And we received a couple of weeks ago a run of prototypes in copper, with a 2 band design.

Here are some of these samples we tested.

What is so impressive about these bullets is the consistent straight line penetration. Now it was Sam's contention that the two band design had to put less stress on the barrels than normal fmj bullets, or even multi band bullets. This obviously made good common sense to me too. Here is a comparison of a 3 band version.

Obviously as you can see, much less bearing surface, has to cause less stress. Or one would think so anyway.

I run a Pressure Trace system when I need to test pressures of any of my cartridges, and loads. Sam saw this one day, and decided we should hook the system up to a double rifle, a strain gage in the rear to measure actual pressures, and a strain gage on the barrel to make an attempt at measuring the stress put on the barrel at the point of where the strain gage is attached. With some thought on that matter, I could see no downside to at least make the effort to see what we could learn. I could not find a reason that it would not work, since that is what a strain gage does, it measures the amount of barrel stretch either by pressure, or the passage of a bullet down the bore!

The Pressure Trace had been very reliable for me on all matters in the past, and I have tested it against factory ammo, and my own case measurements and observations, so as long as the gage is attached properly, and the connections are good, then it is a viable tool that one can use to measure pressures. It may not be exact, but it has always correlated will with all other factors, including factory ammo tests.

So last week we attached the strain gages to one of Sam's 470 Nitro Double rifles, one in the rear for pressure readings, and one 5 inches from the muzzle to see if we could get a reading as the bullet passed that point on the barrel. Sam did all the loading and used the same load throughout the test, 106 grs of IMR 4831, Federal 215 Primers, New 470 Nitro brass, to keep things as consistent as possible. Sam did have some old, original Kyoch loads with Cordite that we tested in addition to the other loads. We tested the 500 gr Woodleigh FMJ and Soft Point, 500 gr Barnes Banded, 500 gr Hornady DGS, old orginal 500 gr Barnes Copper Tube bullets, a 466 gr Brass BBW #13, and a 500 gr Copper BBW#13 by CEB.

Since we did not know what the results might be we decided to test only 2 rounds for pressure, and two rounds for barrel strain. Extra rounds were loaded in case there were any foul ups, anomalies, or any questions. The only problem we had during the test, on one of the loads I had the wrong setting on the computer, and we had to use a 3rd round. Other than that, there were no anomalies or other strange happenings. Everything correlated down the line with pressure readings, barrel strain, and velocity readings, so there is a high amount of confidence in the test work, and I am very sure it can be repeated, and we already have a plan in place to do more test work, and repeatable test work.

Now, before I go further, I am very excited about this, and get carried away with it sometimes, so my apology.

I have to explain something to you--I have nothing to sell you, I am not trying to sell you anything, I am nor is Sam, in the bullet making business, I am not part of any bullet manufacturing company, and I am not looking to be, I have a job, and I don't want another one. I don't even own a double rifle, and I never have, and I probably never will, it's just not my thing. So I have time and money invested in this project, not for myself, but for you! I do love bullets, and only good ones! I shoot a lot, test a lot, and love to do it! All my stuff is primarily big bore, I dabble some in 9.3 caliber, but that is about it, the rest of my total interest is larger bore rifles. So I am not here for myself, nothing to sell you, and I could care less whether you like this, believe this, or not. It's for you, not for me, so do with it as you please, if it helps, great I will do everything I can to help you, if you don't like it, fine with me.

Something else too, I am not nor is Sam, claiming that this is 100% safe in your rifles, that's for you to decide based on the data I am getting ready to present you with. Sam says it's safe in his double rifles and that is what he is going to use, that's good enough for me, and the data speaks for itself. But if you go blow your crap up with one of these because you filled the case full of bullseye instead of IMR 4831, and then blame it on the bullet, well that's your problem, not mine, nor Sams, nor the maker of the bullet, no claims made, you make your own mind up on that.

I can tell you this, even though I have no double rifle, and don't want one, I was way more excited about this data as it came across the computer screen than any of you guys, I was dancing on the floor of the range yesterday!! Ask Sam, he was there! dancing

My good friend Capoward has made an excellent spreadsheet that has all the data listed on it in easy order to read, I think he may post that after I do this post. In between, I am going to post the actual data reports for you to look at. I hope it's of some use to you and will assist you in future choices of bullets, but it's totally up to you to choose what you think is best, I can't tell you what is best for you. All I can tell you is what I would do, and that is all.

Please remember #1 Reports are for actual Pressure Data

#2 reports are for what I have been calling barrel strain, for lack of a better term.

Before Capo gets his spreadsheet up, I have it summary for you here;

1. 500 Woodleigh FMJ #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 44899 PSI--Velocity 2110 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--23667

2. 500 Woodleigh Soft Point #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 36892 PSI--Velocity 2104 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--21903

3. 500 Barnes Banded Solid #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 46738 PSI--Velocity 2169 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--22848

4. 500 Barnes Original Copper Tube Solid/FMJ #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 43214 PSI--Velocity 2126 fps
#2 Barrel Strain--21525

5. 500 Hornady DGS #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 44147 PSI--Velocity 2104 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--22533

6. 500 Kynoch Original Cordite Load #1 Pressure---45909 PSI--Velocity 2084 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--18250

7. 466 Brass BBW #13 #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 39172 PSI--Velocity 2141 fps

#2 Barrel Strain--20013

8. 500 Copper BBW #13 CEB #1 Pressure---Average Pressure 30029 PSI--Velocity 2142 FPS

#2 Barrel Strain--20265

Over the next few minutes I will be posted all the actual reports for you to look at.

Michael

This is the first post. Read it and you will see what I'm talking about.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Hello Michael.

I was in Kansas the week you were running the barrel strain tests, trying to poke a hole in a monster Whitetail, and without internet access for the week. No AR the entire time! Withdrawal!

I just saw your results last night as I was looking around and catching up. First of all, thank you for doing the TSX strain tests. One of the things I noticed is that the pressure is a bit higher than the Woodleigh soft, just as you predicted. But more importantly, for me, who insists on shooting TSX bullets in my double against the advice of the traditionalists, I notice it produced quite a bit less pressure or strain than the Hornady DGS which I haven't heard anyone imply is unsafe in doubles.

So from my perspective, the TSX IS safe in doubles. If it isn't, then neither is the Hornady DGS which most new doubles today are being regulated with! knife But actually, out of necessity of getting something to regulate in my 9.3X74R, I went to the CEB Non-Con and now that it is working, I'm sticking to it. Too dang hard to start over and I think it's the best bullet anyway. I need to see if the 9.3 #13 Solid will regulate as well. Dave Bush directed me to P.70 where you tested the Barnes Banded Solid 9.3. I see where it failed the penetration test due to the too small meplat. Shame as at the time I read that, it was the only load I had shooting correctly in my Chapuis with the scope on.

I think I will begin working up loads in both the solid and non-con now for my 500NE. It took a while but I'm finally coming around to the non-con.

Anyway, thanks again for the testing and putting it to rest. Put to rest? With gun nuts and hunters? HA! Oh well, put to rest for me anyway.

Merry Christmas

PS. In reference to another post on this thread, I actually have pretty thick skin. I just prefer to keep the BS washed off on a regular basis!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

If I may jump in? As I said before the tests are to show what bullets may be SAFER in doubles. I am not saying other bullets are UNSAFE but in my opinon there are very few solid or mono bullets I will shoot in my doubles.

OH and if someone has a few TSX 470s I'm sure Michael and I can shoot them through my 470 for conparison. The barrel strain gage was damaged on my double but we could put another on it.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Todd,

If I may jump in? As I said before the tests are to show what bullets may be SAFER in doubles. I am not saying other bullets are UNSAFE but in my opinon there are very few solid or mono bullets I will shoot in my doubles.

OH and if someone has a few TSX 470s I'm sure Michael and I can shoot them through my 470 for conparison. The barrel strain gage was damaged on my double but we could put another on it.

Sam

Sam,

I understand what you are saying and I'm actually switching to the CEBs. But I had several heated exchanges, many through PM, with guys that were beating me over the head about the dangers of shooting the TSX, all the while advocating the use of the Hornady DGS or Woodleigh solid. I just find it interesting that the TSX produces LESS strain than the bullet that almost all of the new rifles are being regulated with. I would think that if the manufacturers are regulating with the Hornady, they are in fact certifying their rifle as safe with that bullet. And if the TSX produces less strain, then it must also be safe.

But I hear you. The CEB is Safer!!

Thanks to you as well Sam for all the work, effort, expertise, and expense you and your partner in crime have done to educate us! patriot

Merry Christmas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I will begin working up loads in both the solid and non-con now for my 500NE.

93 gr R-15 to start with...ended with 96 gr.

seat the BBW #13 so that when crimped...the the case mouth is just under top band...for my rifle (Merkel 140)

Kynoch wad adds a little consistency to vel (at least with 93 gr) but not 100% necessary.

Have not chronoed the 96's...93's wers shooting 2080 fps and wide. Increased 1 gr at a time to regulation. The 96's look to be perfect for my rifle. I need to load and shoot a few more groups and chrono.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I have offended anyone, and especially Micahael by using the word bullet pimp then I must apologize it was my approach to humor, Apparantly some are more thin skinned than I realized so again I am sorry..I have referred to myself as a gun pimp on ocassions.

Ray, Oh please, Humor is more than accepted by me, being a smartass is not. I don't even know you, you and I have never had a conversation or even exchanged posts that I can recall. You don't know me good enough to make such a comment, as "Bullet Pimp", so yes without doubt I might be a little thin skinned on the issue.

However, that said, I appreciate the apology, and it is accepted openly. To my notion, that is the end of the matter, and won't be brought up again. In turn, if I have said anything, and I am sure I have, that has offended you, and I imagine it has, then I apologize in turn, I too am Sorry!

Now that's out of the way, we can be friends! HEH HEH..........

Thank You Ray!
Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Todd

quote:
I was in Kansas the week you were running the barrel strain tests, trying to poke a hole in a monster Whitetail

Were you successful in your endeavor? I see the word "Trying", that don't sound too good?

Ahhh, no thanks needed, after all the talk, I was just as curious myself.

Yes, the Hornady DGS was high, both tests, prelim test and full test. On many of those last tests I fired 5 rounds to make sure I had no strange noise in the trace. Both were good tests. I did run some numbers between the two tests, and they were running close, within about 5% of each other, and more important, the ranking did not change from the preliminary trial.

Yes Dave and I looked hard at the 9.3 Barnes banded, they are worse than round nose solids to be quite honest where stability was concerned. Meplat is way to small on those, far removed from their standard 65% meplat. The 9.3s as I recall are 47% meplat?

I think if your BBW#13 NonCon is regulating, the BBW#13 Solid will. They are the same bullet, bearing surface and length.

The NonCon, it took me awhile as well! I hear big things about the 9.3 255 NonCon and big scrub bulls in Australia. No details, but it appears that big bulls are hammered to the dirt with those bullets. I am taking the 9.3 B&M next year to Australia myself, we will find out.

Lane,
Glad you have those shooting to your satisfaction! Excellent. Somebody this year used the 500 NE and the BBW#13s for elephant with great success??? I think I am still waiting on a full report, guy was doing a magazine article or something as I recall????

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
"Trying" is all I can report this year. Maybe next time!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
May I be a pain in the butt and ask for the batch number of the 500gr GSC bullets you used? It is a handwritten number inside the lid of the box. I would really appreciate it. You can post it here or mail me at gerard(at)gscustom.co.za