Tools

Discovery backs theory oil not 'fossil fuel'
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Cool

New evidence supports premise that Earth produces endless supply

quote:
A study published in Science Magazine today presents new evidence supporting the abiotic theory for the origin of oil, which asserts oil is a natural product the Earth generates constantly rather than a "fossil fuel" derived from decaying ancient forests and dead dinosaurs.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59991

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
And what if our oil is neither "fossil" nor "abiotic' in origen, but is a product of plankton, algae, and other bio-mass sunk to the bottom of the ocean, and transformed under pressure? Then, increased atmospheric and oceanic CO2 would be a good thing!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made and he rested on the seventh day from his work which he had made and annointed it with oil. Big Grin
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the business. There is scant actual evidence of what you speak. It is very possible and the processes that we think creates a situation where oil/natural gas is generated, are still with us. I would not go so far as to say we have an endless supply, but that is because we (humans) are consuming about 75 million barrels per day. I am not sure the earth is generating that much at that rate.

One area that most people are unaware of, are the presence of deep ocean methane hydrates. In other words, methane gas (which is what you burn at your home) is present in the deeper portions of the ocean at the sea floor. It can be mined, but no one has figured out how to do it economically yet.

Posts: 10200 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I studied this (long time ago!)no-one has ever tried to tell me that oil comes from dinosaurs and forests! It has always been marine organisms, plankton etc. Some gas may stem from carbonaceous (plant) material, eg coal seam gas. There are theories for different oil generation mechanisms, some stemming from, I believe, the Russian deep drilling programs.
Yes, methane hydrates are a source of energy, but approach with caution. You are right dogcat, economically, safely and environmentally sound.

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Since I studied this (long time ago!)no-one has ever tried to tell me that oil comes from dinosaurs and forests! It has always been marine organisms, plankton etc.
Living in Saud Arabia west Big Grin, this is the theory on which our wealth is based.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oil is a biproduct of boiling magma.
it is neither fossil nor nonrenewable.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The USA has trillions of barrels of oil but the AR politicians have stopped or banned drilling of oil and no new refineries have been built in decades.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trillions? That's a tad on the high side of a estimate, I suspect.

Posts: 98 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 13 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And how in the world do you get oil from boiling magma?

Posts: 98 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 13 September 2009Reply With Quote