New
Find
Notify
Tools

North London Parrots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't know if it's really a good thing, but it's amazing to see a bunch of these flying around in London.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Any idea where they came from?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someones pets released. Once you get a few groups of them loosed they'll never go away.

We have Parrots, Macaws, and all other kinda jungle birds roamin' around town ... if you think giant crows are loud wait til you get a couple Macaws squakin' in the top of a palm tree ... makes you wanna reach for the 10GA ... Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone said they are Australian Ring Neck Parrots.
But I'm not sure.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
I regularly see flocks of 20 or 30 monk parrots in north east Dallas roaming around. It is pretty strange to look on the edge of a parking lot and see parrots mixed in with a group of pigeons.

Posts: 145 | Location: Mesquite, TX. | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ever so often I see a flight of 6-8 birds pictured above. Apparently they are doing jus fine here in Southeast Texas.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These birds are Ring-necked parakeets. Over the years more and more escaped from homes and shops, sometimes mass escapes from domestic aviaries. They are Asian birds that can be commonly seen in Indian sal forest and farmland. However, they can be very readily seen and heard in Richmond Park, London. They now occur right across southern and central England. They are fiercely competitive and will oust othe r hole nesting birds such as woodpeckers and tawny owls. They have also become a serious pest in orchrads in SE England. Of course they are lively, interesting, pretty and engaging birds, so any serious efforts to control numbers or eradicate local populations is met with howls of protest.

Posts: 51 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
You may or may not remember,I posted some pics of a bird I incidentally photographed here in minnesota last summer,that bore strong resemblance to a monk parakeet.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
I actually have been seeing these guys around my work a lot more frequently lately. Just this morning I saw about 30 sitting in a tree making a lot of racket.

Posts: 145 | Location: Mesquite, TX. | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
The monk parakeet as pictured above in Texas, is a common bird in South America. There are about 65 differnt varieties of parakeet and parrotlet in South America, some bearing great resemblance to the first picture.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Dallas has a colony of parrots that reside near a large transformer substation, rather than migrating, simply use the stations ambient heat for wintering.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THere is a sizeable colony in the city park in Innsbruk, Austria as well. I was there skiing a few years back and saw about 6 in the snow. The locals said they were pets that survived but there was a breeding colony there.

Posts: 10192 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote