Tools

Hunting lance from 1800s found in whale
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,21897911-5005940,00.html

From correspondents in Anchorage

June 13, 2007 12:00pm

A FRAGMENT of a lance used by commercial whalers in the 1800s has been found in a huge bowhead whale caught off Alaska.

The fragment, from a bomb lance manufactured around 1880, was discovered in a bowhead killed in the traditional subsistence hunt conducted by Alaska's Inupiat people, said officials from the North Slope Borough, the local government in northernmost Alaska.

The fragment showed the whale could be nearly 130 years old, said Craig George, a wildlife biologist with the borough's Department of Wildlife Management.

"It was probably at least a yearling when it was struck, because the whalemen never took calves," Mr George said.

The find added to recent information suggesting bowhead whales had life spans that extended past a century, he said.

The newly accumulated information included the discovery of old stone tools, last used in the 1880s, in whales hunted in the early 1990s, as well as analysis of the lenses of whales' eyes, he said.

The fragment of the bomb lance was given to scientists by the Inupiat whalers, Mr George said.

This particular device was easy to date because it was patented, he said.

The Inupiat had long said bowhead whales lived for the equivalent of two human lifetimes, Mr George said.

"That's their traditional knowledge. We're still catching up," he said.

While commercial whaling is now banned by international agreement, natives from Alaska, the Chukotka region of eastern Russia and Greenland are permitted to hunt a fixed number of whales for traditional, non-commercial consumption.

In Alaska, meat from hunted whales is distributed to all residents of the hunters' villages.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Whenever I read stuff like this I can't help but wonder who/when it was done, and also where the whale may have traveled in all those years...
Thanks.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Proving again that only good hits count !! Roll Eyes Yes I'd like to hear the whole story .How often did they hit and not recover with an explosive harpoon ??

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Somewhat similiar, here is an arrowhead in a human pelvis from Ireland circa 3600BC.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.clare...-01,GWYA:en%26sa%3DN

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
This is great stuff!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool report.

Yesterday I was showing my son a tree that was here before George Washington was born.

And last night I was looking at some samurai swords on the internet that were made before Christopher Columbus found the new world. And those swords looked great!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote