THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Another Deer Dies Due to The 223 Remington
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Deer Dies Due to The 223 Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just hope the OP's daughter is being shielded from reading all the chest beating going on in this thread that should have died 3 pages ago.

She might conclude that adult males spend most of their time fighting about "mine is bigger than yours" while the real enemies of her future pursuit of shooting/hunting (Feinstein/Obama/Holder) are ignored.

NRA Life Member .... are you ?

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
You were the guy that said you though the minimum allowed for deer should be a .243, right? Then you wade in on the archery hunters and it seems you think they are less efficient at killing deer than archery equipment, right? It just follows that you would like to see them banned as well doesn't it?

No, Skippy, what it means, is that not everyone has the experience level to know when and when not to take a shot, whether with a bow or a gun. Last time I checked, TP&W DOES NOT require a proficiency test to purchase a hunting license.

Also, Colorado and other states do have a minimum caliber requirement for hunting deer and other Big Game.

As far as archery is concerned, if the individual can accept a 5 to 10% loss rate, then more power to them, I just don't agree with it, but that does not mean in any way that I want to see archery hunting outlawed/banned. I would much rather see the use of the drugs that are allowed in Mississippi, legalized in other states.

Regardless of your protestations and baseless accusations, from my experience, I just do not believe that the .224's should be legal for hunting white tail in Texas. I do not ever see that happening, but it is not going to bother me one second if it did become law.

You ran your mouth about all the axis and white tails you killed with a .223, just one question for you or ANY of the other .223 supporters. How many of you would pick a .223 to go after a real trophy white tail, 170 B&C or bigger, and how many ranches would let you try that chit?

As for this little tid bit of horse chit:
quote:
Some people just do not have a lot of problems killing animals no matter what you put in their hands, some do. Maybe you are in the later group, don't know that, but am leaning that way.

As I said, I have killed a deer with a Hornet. If I remember correctly you said you had not done that. I do not have any problem killing anything with whatever I am using. However, I have been killing stuff for about 45 years now and during that time I have learned that not everyone has sense enough to understand that they do not possess the knowledge or abilities to use what in many peoples eyes are marginal equipment.

It is a sad fact of life as far as humans are concerned, a shooter with only one years experience will honestly believe that they are just as capable and competent as someone that has been hunting for years, and that just does not work in many cases.

So Skippy you want to ban a caliber for deer hunting that is more capable than archery equipment but have no problem with people using archery equipment? Sounds pretty inconsistent to me.
Your over estimation of the difficulty of waiting on a shot presentation and making said shot is telling. Your not one of those flock shooters are you?
I already admitted that I do not use the 223 for hunting a trophy. 99% of the hunting I have done in TX is population control the 223 is perfect for that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC, Have to step is as you DNS about Archery unless you are only talking about distances over 40 yards. A 4 bladed Muzzy will drive right through the lungs of any Ungulate that would stop a 223 dead in its tracks. Maybe you ought to call up Bear Archery and see if they still have the hunting videos of Fred Bear killing everything in N.A. with a recurve, fiberglass arrows and the old bear razorheads when you probably were not even here yet. Never hurts to have a learning experience. Archers who are HUNTERS, ignore the crap about 75 yard shots and don't use the fing crossbows have IMHE are far better record of ethical kills than wanna be snipers lobbing bullets cross canyon or those who think an AR is the solution for their inability to spot, stalk and shoot ONCE well.

Bows are not deadly ? Ask the French at Agincourt (look it up or read Henry V)

End of rant

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kowblower--"The shot was adequate had the cartridge been adequate." You just told us deer was not recovered. How do you know shot was adequate? Where was it hit? The deer got up after much suffering and got away that VERY OBVIOUSLY is just not how an adequate shot works.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to seeing the outcry when they realize I shoot deer with subsonic 208 A-maxs.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddybo:
I am looking forward to seeing the outcry when they realize I shoot deer with subsonic 208 A-maxs.

CRYBABY thumbdown roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by eddybo:

CRYBABY thumbdown roger

Let me guess, you have never shot a any animal with a suppressed subsonic round? I started out killing feral pigs with them at night, not really caring if we recovered the pigs, just trying to get rid of them. It did not take long to figure out that if you did not want them to tip over you had better gut shoot them. In all honesty I have only shot three deer with them, but would do so again if offered a double lung shot in not so thick cover, which is pretty rare around SW MS.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
CHC, Have to step is as you DNS about Archery unless you are only talking about distances over 40 yards. A 4 bladed Muzzy will drive right through the lungs of any Ungulate that would stop a 223 dead in its tracks. Maybe you ought to call up Bear Archery and see if they still have the hunting videos of Fred Bear killing everything in N.A. with a recurve, fiberglass arrows and the old bear razorheads when you probably were not even here yet. Never hurts to have a learning experience. Archers who are HUNTERS, ignore the crap about 75 yard shots and don't use the fing crossbows have IMHE are far better record of ethical kills than wanna be snipers lobbing bullets cross canyon or those who think an AR is the solution for their inability to spot, stalk and shoot ONCE well.Bows are not deadly ? Ask the French at Agincourt (look it up or read Henry V)

Rant all you want too. I could care less. Personal opinion here, I feel, and PLEASE PAY ATTENTION YOB, I think that in all actuality, if archers stick to reasonable ranges, i.e. 40 yards or less, and gun hunters using .222's or .223's, you will notice that I left out the .220 Swift, because that is a whole different kettle of fish, stick to ranges of 125 yards or less, in the hands of people that know what the hell they are doing and work within the limitations of their equipment, will not wound or lose any more animals, than folks with a small amount of experience using equipment that is beyond their capabilities.

I have nothing against archers, I have tried it a few times myself, and I have a lot of respect for those individuals that are good at it. I know a lot of folks that got their start deer hunting using the .222 and the .223. That does not mean, in any sense of the word, that I want to see archery hunting outlawed.

I think using the .222/.223 for varmints and feral hogs is fine. I just believe that for deer the .243 and larger calibers/cartridges are better.

As I asked, how many of the .223 worshippers, will go after an actual trophy deer with the .222/.223? From what I have seen on this site and others, when it comes to shooting at actual trophy size bucks, the .224's get left at home and larger guns get taken.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC my very first post I stated I do not trophy hunt for deer with a 223. I actually we may not be as far apart on the subject as you think. You quoted my first post to that effect and threw a bunch of BS flags in your post. I thought my first post was pretty innocuous but I guess it grated you wrong somehow. Things denigrated from there.
Something about big antlers unsettles me to the point I feel more secure using something with more ooomph. If someone with a cooler head can do the deed with a 223 more power to them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While in actuality, we may not be all that far apart in some aspects of this topic, on one aspect we are far apart.

While I have seen lots of deer killed with the .222 and .223, I find it odd, that the supporters of the use of these cartridges for deer, adamantly defend their choice, UNTIL, it comes to taking a shot at an actual trophy animal.

I simply find it really strange that folks will sing the praises of the .222/.223 and how great they are for killing white tail, up to the point where the animal in question is a real trophy, and then, it is to hell with the little gun, give me a cannon.

This attitude is not unique to you, I see it from practically everyone I have ever meet/hunted with or had this same basic conversation with.

It is the concept that anything is okay to shoot does with, but if it is something that has a brag factor to it, a bigger gun needs to be brought into the game

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every deer you shoot is a unique experience. Why does one drop dead on the spot with apparently less damage than another that runs that appears to have much more damage? Crazyhorse, for example, has not seen an exit wound past 70 yards I think he said. I've only seen two that failed to exit and those two were smaller animals at closer range. Not only that, they were shot through the vitals and bones not hit unless smaller rib bones. I have not experienced it that the bigger the antler the harder to drop. Those antlers don't provide a coat of Kelvar. So yes, I'd shoot a trophy deer with a .224. I don't eat antlers, so I might even pass on a trophy if I didn't think it would be a good eating animal. I am convinced a .224 (before expansion) will pass through the vitals and I don't see how a .244 would do much better---that difference is about the thickness of a flat toothpick. Take out heart,lung or liver or combination and you are going to have a dead animal pretty close to that spot. Whether the shooter is 7 or 70 is not a factor.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Every deer you shoot is a unique experience. Why does one drop dead on the spot with apparently less damage than another that runs that appears to have much more damage? Crazyhorse, for example, has not seen an exit wound past 70 yards I think he said. I've only seen two that failed to exit and those two were smaller animals at closer range. Not only that, they were shot through the vitals and bones not hit unless smaller rib bones. I have not experienced it that the bigger the antler the harder to drop. Those antlers don't provide a coat of Kelvar. So yes, I'd shoot a trophy deer with a .224. I don't eat antlers, so I might even pass on a trophy if I didn't think it would be a good eating animal. I am convinced a .224 (before expansion) will pass through the vitals and I don't see how a .244 would do much better---that difference is about the thickness of a flat toothpick. Take out heart,lung or liver or combination and you are going to have a dead animal pretty close to that spot. Whether the shooter is 7 or 70 is not a factor.

I've read a study on why one drops and another runs. A test was done shooting Elk. The caliber was a 338 Mag. Same bullet and load, both Elk shot at the same distance and both standing in the same position and both hit in the same spot. One just dropped dead. The other did not. A team of doctors examined them and determined that the Elk that dropped dead had severe brain hemorrhaging, where as the one that run didn't have any brain damage at all. Both were shot in the heart. They speculated that the one was shot when the heart was pumping out and the other when the heart was on the back stroke so to speak. When that bullet hit the heart when it was pumping out it dramatically increased the blood pressure those the brain hemorrhaging. That might explain some of the reasons.

I disagree with you on the .243 vs the .224. The .243, .244, and 6mm Rem (and yes I know the .244 and 6mm Rem are one in the same with different rifling twists) are way out of the league of the .222 and the .223. That becomes more apparent as the size of the animal increases.

Notice I'm not saying you can't take deer with the 22 centerfires.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smokin---Joe I am aware that the .243 is driving a 100 grain bullet almost the same velocity a .223 drives a 55 grain bullet. That should come into play on larger animals as you stated. To drive nails, a claw hammer works and a sledge needed for railroad spikes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smokin---Joe I am aware that the .243 is driving a 100 grain bullet almost the same velocity a .223 drives a 55 grain bullet. That should come into play on larger animals as you stated. To drive nails, a claw hammer works and a sledge needed for railroad spikes.

When younger I use to keep informal records on calibers that harvested deer that I saw in camp. A few stood out as flat out killers and those were the 30-30, the 35 Rem, the 243 Win, and the 300 Savage. Knew a woman that hunted and dropped 16 deer with a 243. Only one out of that 16 ran any distance after hit. My best friend shot 16 with a 35 Rem. Lost one that fell over a cliff into a melted snow swollen river.

That 100 grain 243 bullet has a lot more energy then anything could shoot out of a 223 and it shoots pretty flat pretty far.

The little 6x45 is pretty effective round for the 223 case, but just not enough power space for the heavier 243 bullets. I have one and with 70 to 85 grain bullets it's pretty good. I could never understand why our military never switched to that, which would be just a barrel change, and it's more effective then a .224 bullet in that case in my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
While in actuality, we may not be all that far apart in some aspects of this topic, on one aspect we are far apart.

While I have seen lots of deer killed with the .222 and .223, I find it odd, that the supporters of the use of these cartridges for deer, adamantly defend their choice, UNTIL, it comes to taking a shot at an actual trophy animal.

I simply find it really strange that folks will sing the praises of the .222/.223 and how great they are for killing white tail, up to the point where the animal in question is a real trophy, and then, it is to hell with the little gun, give me a cannon.

This attitude is not unique to you, I see it from practically everyone I have ever meet/hunted with or had this same basic conversation with.

It is the concept that anything is okay to shoot does with, but if it is something that has a brag factor to it, a bigger gun needs to be brought into the game

Do you get buck fever shooting a doe? Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not got buck fever shooting anything in close to 45 years.

I am not out there to think about what I am doing, I am out there to kill something.

When I am hunting for something, my sole intention is to kill it, no other thoughts enter into the picture. Does not matter whether it is a buck/doe/bull/cow, if it is legal on the license in my pocket, it is dead.

Where some folks place their individual concept of themselves as a hunter based upon the size of an animals antlers/horns, I place mine on the amount of edible meat in the deep freeze.

I understand what you are saying eddy, I just find it strange how adamant people can be, singing the praises of the .222/.223, until it comes to shooting at an actual trophy sized animal.

In my opinion, if a person is going to go to the extreme of telling another person how dumb they are for down grading folks using a .223 for shooting deer, while openly admitting that they won't use the .223 for shooting at a potential trophy animal, is hypocritical at the minimum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a meat hunter myself. Most of my hunting is strictly for does. I try to get out and kill an elk or oryx every year. Oryx is the best meat I have ever eaten. We never buy beef or pork for that matter.
I will admit I do get shook up on trophy hunts or even shooting a doe with a arrow. If I ever totally lose that I will quit. I used to think I was a hunter who liked to shoot but realized several years ago I am a shooter that likes to hunt.
It is a different story with does. Most of the time I always know what sex animal I am hunting.... usually does dang does and more dang does. I have been in camps where it was a ton of work just keeping the does in line with what the biologists recommended. Feral hogs are about as big a problem in some areas. A doe with a rifle is just grocery getting. No need to get upset shooting a doe, no need to rush anything. Just wait on one to come out and stand where and how you want them to stand. Bucks not so much down here. Our bucks are highly pressured (probably because of all the doe shooting) and mostly nocturnal. About the only time you will see a buck down here is the very last few minutes of shooting, or running a doe. Under circumstances like that I prefer something bigger than a .224.
I suspect hunting styles and locations make a big difference as to how people see this side of the debate. I would guess in areas of high deer densities with high doe to buck ratios and liberal bag limits people can understand it a little better.
There is one great thing about going to a buddies lease and limiting yourself to always shooting only does. They always invite you back.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:

I understand what you are saying eddy, I just find it strange how adamant people can be, singing the praises of the .222/.223, until it comes to shooting at an actual trophy sized animal.

I get what you are saying, it's very similar argument for using premium bullets. I'm spending thousands of dollars on an out of state hunt so what's a dollar a bullet? I agree and I think most people that hunt on their lease are probably the ones using the 223. Just like elk hunters in elk country using a 243 with a core-lokt. Works just as good as anything else they have tried. If you are going on an out of state hunting trip or spending thousands of dollars, most people will take every edge they can get. Your just arguing with people that do it every season with a 223 probably in their backyard so it's hard to tell them it's not really a good idea because experience tells them otherwise.

Most 223 supporters that I know on the thread probably wouldn't spend big money on a one time whitetail hunt (I probably wouldn't either), they'll hunt their place until they finally see one and kill it with their 223.

I have no dog in the fight. I wouldn't use 223 on deer where I hunt because my property is thick with cover and narrow. I want it dropping as fast as possible so I look for shoulder shots. If I had a bigger more open property, I'd probably try it with a 60 partition, 64 power point, 70 speer, or tsx.

I know many hate these threads but I actually find them some of the most entertaining.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had my pickup a few years and I know what it does. It runs on lower octane gasoline, doesn't clatter and doesn't miss. It will run on higher octane--but no better and gets less gas mileage. Many people do have the misconception that higher octane is better mileage. False. Higher octane gasoline contains additives to prevent clatter and these additives don't burn, thus they don't produce BTU"S so gas mileage decreases. So if I'm going out of state do I suddenly switch to higher octane? If someone not familiar with my pickup told me all the virtues of spending more money for premium, would I buy premium? I put premium bullets in the same category. MOST saying premium bullets are needed have never done it. I'd have NO problem buying premium bullets if I were gaining something. But if it aint broke why fix it? That's in my backyard or out of state.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had my pickup a few years and I know what it does. It runs on lower octane gasoline, doesn't clatter and doesn't miss. It will run on higher octane--but no better and gets less gas mileage. Many people do have the misconception that higher octane is better mileage. False. Higher octane gasoline contains additives to prevent clatter and these additives don't burn, thus they don't produce BTU"S so gas mileage decreases. So if I'm going out of state do I suddenly switch to higher octane? If someone not familiar with my pickup told me all the virtues of spending more money for premium, would I buy premium? I put premium bullets in the same category. MOST saying premium bullets are needed have never done it. I'd have NO problem buying premium bullets if I were gaining something. But if it aint broke why fix it? That's in my backyard or out of state.

Ray, some of the "premium" bullets may not be premium. Let me explain. When the first 223 came out there weren't may, if any all, bullets over 55 grain for it. That we know has changed. Maybe some say premium bullet and mean a heavier bullet designed for larger game. You know as well as I do you pay more money for the bullets as their weight goes up. When I think premium I think of bullets like Barnes or Scirroco's, etc..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]There is one great thing about going to a buddies lease and limiting yourself to always shooting only does. They always invite you back.[quote]

Lots of truth in that statement. tu2

One of the reasons I have the opinion I do, is that just because you or me may have the experience/knowledge/ability to know when to shoot and where to place the shot, that does not mean any or all the once or twice a year hunters have those same attributes.

Simple ballistics, on a CNS hit, bullet diameter/weight/speed is fairly irrelevant.

On a body shot, whether thru the shoulders or a behind the shoulder, heart/lung shot, a heavier/larger diameter bullet is going to produce more shock/trauma on the target than a smaller diameter/lighter weight bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[quote]There is one great thing about going to a buddies lease and limiting yourself to always shooting only does. They always invite you back.[quote]

Lots of truth in that statement. tu2

One of the reasons I have the opinion I do, is that just because you or me may have the experience/knowledge/ability to know when to shoot and where to place the shot, that does not mean any or all the once or twice a year hunters have those same attributes.

Simple ballistics, on a CNS hit, bullet diameter/weight/speed is fairly irrelevant.

On a body shot, whether thru the shoulders or a behind the shoulder, heart/lung shot, a heavier/larger diameter bullet is going to produce more shock/trauma on the target than a smaller diameter/lighter weight bullet.

I do not have any more confidence the once a year hunters can get it done with a 300 magnum boomer than with a 223. In fact most of them would probably place their shots better with a 223. I have seen sure a bunch of "bullet failures" that turned out to be gut shots. And a few high shoulder shots that turned out to be in the "rear shoulders" Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I also have seen this where I live and hunt. Not only with .22 centerfires but also with the .243. Guys will always take "Trusted Betsy" out for buck season. Be it a 30-06 or whatever their go to rifle is. Then come doe season they brag about the great neck shots they make on all these doe with their .223 or their 22-250's or that is when they break out their .243's. In my opinion if that .223 is so good and you are so accurate on doe why not do it for buck? I know why, because the average hunter don't want to pass up a shot when antlers are involved. Personally I like to always bring enough gun and am just starting to move down the caliber line up and have started playing with a .257 AI for deer. Also we must remember most of the people here on this forum are not the average hunter. Most of you here from my reading get the chance to kill more game in a year or so than the average hunter does in a life time. So that has always been why I have been in the anti "pee pee gun" for deer crowd.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not have any more confidence the once a year hunters can get it done with a 300 magnum boomer than with a 223. In fact most of them would probably place their shots better with a 223. I have seen sure a bunch of "bullet failures" that turned out to be gut shots. And a few high shoulder shots that turned out to be in the "rear shoulders"

The above is exactly why I rarely recommend the calibers I use for hunting white tails to anyone. On the deer hunts I guide, I prefer folks show up with .243/25-06/7mm-08/.270/7mm. Rem Mag./.308/.30-06, whatever they normally use. If they show up with one of the.224's, I take them to locations where shots are going to be 100 yards or less, and the terrain is such that I can maintain visual contact with a wounded animal for a long way. I also have access to tracking dogs.

Hunters showing up with the .30 caliber magnums and above, I visit with a lot, or take them to our range just to see how well they can shoot.

As for myself, I have killed white tails with stuff from .22 Hornet up thru .458 Win. Mag.. I started my hunting career in 1970 at 20 years old with a .300 Win. Mag.. The big guns have their place, but that is not in the hands of everyone. While I have killed many deer with my big rifles, my wife and I have killed a bunch of them with her little .257 Robert's.

Eddy, a lot of what you say makes real good sense. Just like you don't feel the bigger magnums are the answer for everyone, I don't believe the .224's are the answer either, with the wild card being that the supporters of the .224's, openly admit that they don't go after actual trophy bucks with those guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always read the .22 on deer threads, but rarely post on them. In general, I feel like everyone pretty much has their mind made up already, and anything I say isn't really gonna change anything. I have shot 5 deer with either a .220 Swift or a .223, and had 5 one-shot kills. Distances out to about 125 yards, none has run more than about 60. I fell pretty comforatable with the use of a .223, but I sure am not going to tell another fella what he should or shouldn't be doing. Every man should make that choice for themselves.

For The Back Forty- I shot two does last year with my .223 using the Cutting Edge 40 grain Raptor. The results were pretty impressive, I would trust that bullet about as well as anything in the .224 offerings. I used the 40 because my 1 in 12 twist CZ527 won't quite stabilize the 55 NonCon. If a guy had a 1 in 9, I would say shoot the 55 NonCon and don't look back. The 55's I shot at short range for testing were VERY impressive, they just wouldn't stabilize quite well enough at distance in my slower twist.

CHC,I will just throw one thing in here, having to do with the shooting of a trophy buck with a small caliber. From having shot and weighed alot of does around here, I know that even a big old 4.5+ year old doe isn't going to go much (if any) more that 100 pounds field dressed. Conversely, I have seen several stud-muffin bucks that would go double that. Throw in the possibility of one coming in all jacked up on testosterone during the rut, and IMO you really aren't talking about the same animal. I have used the .223 for does in some areas where I really would like to keep the noise and disturbance down, and it works well for that. However, when we are talking about that big old trophy buck that you may have to shoot on his terms, I pick my 30-06 with 165's any day of the week. Once again, not saying right or wrong, but just my thought process on it.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not say I do not go after trophy deer with 224s, if I did it was a mistatement. I do not go after them with a .223. I love the 70TSX at high speed 22-6.5x47L.

Like you I like variety. I like the 85TSX at 243AI velocities, but in my favorite 243AI I usually use 115 DTACs, older ones before pointing.
I do most of my hunting with a 280AI or 7WSM with 162s or 140 ABs, cannot explain why I love the 7s. I like the 6.5 140 bergers at 6.5WSM speed. .257 115 Bergers do pretty well in 25x284 or 6.5x284. Right now I am on a 30 cal kick smoking 130 TSXs out of both 308 win and WSM. I am also pushing the 230 berger otms through a 30-338LM Imp. I am all over the board with stuff, except the big bores. I do not need anything larger than the 35s....well except maybe a 375 CT.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
These threads usually start with someone flaming a poster over their choice of a small caliber. Each individual makes a choice for the situation they are in, not based on what somebody else is doing. Where they are, what they are doing, conditions, etc. all come into play.

When someone says it can't be done, is foolish, or start name calling I figure there's no reason that person will ever consider someone elses experiences. They already know far to much.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Nate, I understand what you are saying, but do you understand what some of the rest of us are saying???????

I ain't saying that a .223 will not kill deer, I am saying that I do not believe it is the best option for EVERYONE to use.

The .223 supporters are saying the .223's are great for deer, until it comes time to take a shot at an actual trophy animal.

In the hands of someone that knows what the hell they are doing, the .223 will do an adequate job on a white tail.

The key ingredient here is having a shooter that knows what the hell they are doing.

Not everyone fits that description.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I shot a doe last weekend with my 22-250 AI at about 95 yards. I was coyote hunting and had loads of 38.0 gr 4064 and a 40 gr Ballistic Tip. Not really what I would have prefered for deer; I was concerned that it might be too hard on the bullet and I wished I had brought my 223, frankly.

But once again the little 40 gr BT showed its mettle. The shot was a downward ranging, almost broadside shot. The bullet went through the scapula, broke a rib and mushed everthing inside the rib cage. The doe just fell over. One thrash on the ground (less than a second's worth) and she was still.

Even though I know it intellectually and from prior experience, I'm always slightly surprised when I witness how effective the fast 22 centerfire rounds are on thin skinned game.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I shot a doe last weekend with my 22-250 AI at about 95 yards. I was coyote hunting and had loads of 38.0 gr 4064 and a 40 gr Ballistic Tip. Not really what I would have prefered for deer; I was concerned that it might be too hard on the bullet and I wished I had brought my 223, frankly.

But once again the little 40 gr BT showed its mettle. The shot was a downward ranging, almost broadside shot. The bullet went through the scapula, broke a rib and mushed everthing inside the rib cage. The doe just fell over. One thrash on the ground (less than a second's worth) and she was still.

Even though I know it intellectually and from prior experience, I'm always slightly surprised when I witness how effective the fast 22 centerfire rounds are on thin skinned game.

I'm betting that the NBT was really smokin' when it hit her. Do you know what the velocity for that loading? Would it be greater than 4200fps?

That NBT .224 bullet has a fairly thick base to it and holds together better than most who have never seen it work would imagine. Congrats.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
CHC, Yes I get it. I agree that it isn't a perfect choice for everyone. I'm not going to go there and think the same about bigger cartidges as well. People who can't shoot a .223 effectively won't be able to shoot anything that recoils much either.
I am at a point where I've seen enough shot that I think what the bullet comes out of has less to do with effectiveness than the construction of the bullet. Given of course proper placement.
I've seen the results of the hyper velocity fan using varmint bullets at velocities above proper threshold, I've seen the monometal fans using them going to slow to get them to open up. Magnum fans that believed the size of the gun would make up for their lack of skill, etc.
On a deer, it's hard to tell an ounce of difference between one shot with a .223 using good bullets, and one shot with a laundry list of bigger rounds. I've shot deer with my .338WM while elk hunting and seen no difference than if i'd have shot it with any of my smaller caliber rifles.
I'd much rather see a guy who know's his limitations using a .223 than the guy who show's up with an UltraMag that had a freind zero it in for him because he didn't have the time.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My aussie friend sent me the new, jan-march Guns&Game.
In it was an ad for Remington Hog Hammer ammo.
Loads include 62 grn TSX .223 rem, and there is a picture of a big piggie on the box to make it OK for those that need pictures. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
Is it bad to say that I hunt our Blacktail with 223 all the time! Its a great round for our deer! People dont believe on how quickly a shot in the lungs makes these guys dump. To the OP, Good job for getting his kiddo out there hunting!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe we have 5 pages from a member posting a nice story and nice picture of his 7 year old daughter's first deer.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
Hard to believe we have 5 pages from a member posting a nice story and nice picture of his 7 year old daughter's first deer.

Lets go for the record for most posts on a topic.
Anyone know what that number might be?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Scott, if the OP had been about the daughter killing her first deer with a .243/.257 Robert's or 7mm-08, there probably would not have been a full page of comments. JMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not anywhere near a record. Go to the Cast Bullet section and there is a 14 page thread about RPM threshold--I think it is listed as Fast twist experiment. It gets heated and I think one member got banned from it.
BTW what does OP stand for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always considered it Original Poster.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
The area that I hunt in does not have an abundance of big trophy mule deer.

I hunt with a .223 pushing bullets very fast.

If I came across a trophy mule deer I would not feel undergunned in any way. My experience shooting that rifle and my skill give me the confidence to take that buck in a human quick manner.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote