New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra mag basic brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know if Remington Ultramag Basic brass is available from somewhere? I would like to develope a wildcat based on the RAM case with a 2.5" case lenght. I've never reloaded for the Ultra Mags. However, in my experience, most remington brass is crap. I have found federal brass to be the best overall, but now federal only makes loaded ammo. Any info would help. Please don't tell me to use 404 basic or Dakota brass. I've already done my research, and RAM as a parent case is the only way I want to go.

Thanks,
CO-Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's RUM.
Welcome to the forum.
Good luck.
If you're willing to pass on a perfectly good 2.5" case with minimum taper in 7mm, .308", 338", and .375" that's only .008" smaller at the base, and pay money for a custom reamer and case-form dies, then you shouldn't have too much trouble turning necks. Just use the 375 RUM case, trimmed to 2.5" - should get you where you want to be.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said, I already did my research, and I want to use the ultramag case.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right.
And that's why I said use the 375 ULTRAMAG case.
IOW: IF you don't want the ease of the Dakota, then turn necks on RUM brass.
Check out case forming, and get the scoop on neck turning, and shoulder donuts. You may wait quite a while for basic.
Wildcatting is mostly nonsense, so I won't question your well-stated commitment. If you gotta do it, you gotta do it.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't want to sound like a wise guy but since you like Fed much better just buy loaded ammo for the cases. I have afew Ackley also a 30x44,30x47 shorten 308,shorten 6br also a shorten 7-08 those rifles all have tight necks. I've used Rem brass it forms real good I used some laupa 308 for the 30x44,30x47 and 30IHMSA and I never noticed any improvenment in groups say over Rem,Fed or Win cases. I've also form cases using Rem BR brass with the small primer pockets for the 30x44,30x47,6br,22br and the shorten 6br. Federal makes some pretty good brass alittle harder to get those real sharp shoulders on the first firing I have a pretty good supply of Fed match 222 that I use in a BR tight neck 222 also for a 222AI then I have some newer Fed match 223 and 308 brass.
I don't get hung up on the brass thing like some guys you get to shortening a case turning necks,annealing and so on to a case I prefer a softer case to start with.
I don't know if you have used or shot a 300rum
I'm on my 2nd one and I normally used only 3 case for load devoplemnt I have a set up to load at the range use Neil Jones arbor dies or Wilson anyway I get about 5 firings per case before having to use a body die for sizing and that is about the same with my other Mag rifles doesn't matter which brand of brass I use including Fed brass which I use in a Kreiger barrel 300mag and Rem brass in the 300mag Lilja barrel.
If you go over to longrangehunting.com there is a gunsmith making an Allen Mag on the RUM case blows it out getting way hotter velocity than the parent round. My only advise is keep an open mind on the brass and in the larger caliber it's not as critical. Well good luck.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise Tom. I also shoot a 222, and a 222x35 (222 with a 35 degree improved shoulder). I have a lot of nickel plated federal match brass (Long out of production), and use wilson dies and an old Sinclair arbor press. I have never shot nor reloaded for an ultra mag. I am not a high velocity fan when it comes to big game cartridges. I might just try remington RUM brass for my wildcat. Most of my dislike for remington brass stems from poor quality 222, 30-06, 280 rem, 45 Colt (used in +p loads for a Ruger black hawk, and +p 45-70 loads in a couple new production browning and winchester 1886's. I have never reloaded for any of the Remington BR's. From what you've said, is sounds like remington makes good brass for cartridges that really need good brass. I like hard brass in general. They seem to last longer and stretch less. My friend who has shot bench rest for 30+ years (He taught me everything I know about reloading) taught me that norma and Lapua make the highest quality brass overall, with Federal being the best domestic brass. I have tried remington brass in the above mentioned cartridges and applications and found is lacking.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I actually find the Fed. GMM brass on the soft side. I have used the .308 & 06 & find Lapua, Norma & even WW to alst longer.
What type of wc are you looking to come up with? The Dakota line is pretty much what you are describing; shortened RUM/.404 case. I have a 7mm Dakota & like the case design a lot. Yeah, I wish brass were more affordable, I just buy it from Midway whenever they have a sale on. It's a hunitng rifle so 200-300 will last me forever. I can see merit in your project if it's for a LR target round, RUM brass is certainly cheaper, but case prep. will take a lot of effort.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rem RUM brass kinda sucks, I have to be careful when loading my 375, I buckle case necks when seating bullets to the point where ammo wont load if I seat the bullet "too aggressively".

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might have go with Tom Hollands idea, and buy Federal loaded ammo to get my RUM brass. I am going to at least try the Remington brass and see how it works out. Since the brass is being trimmed back quite a bit, perhaps the newly formed necks will be thicker and stronger. Buying loaded federal ammo is going to be pretty expensive.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This may help...

Try posting on the long range hunting forum, http://www.longrangehunting.com

There was a link to a seller of Federal 300 RUM brass. They had done a bulk purchase for the Loooooooooooooong Range guys.

Sorry I don't remember the particulars.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I talked to the NA Sales vp for federal...

in short, no chance of unformed brass... then I talked to the shop foreman...

no chance... not 10 or 10,000

jamison it is

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

You must have read my mind. I e-mailed Federal last night. I haven't got a reply back from them, but now I'll know the answer beforehand.

Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Matt,
if you like, you can search the big bore forum. I contact jamison on making unrebated... and rebated, rUM basic... that will ACTUALLY be .550 case head, not .542ish....

90 cents each... need 5000.00 pieces order

I am thinking a single bunter (headstamper) saying AR on it

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brass is cheap! At RUM pressures I would not even attempt to reload it more than 5 times anyway.

Buy Rem RUM brass from Midway by bulk, use it then get rid of it.

At 60,000 psi, I am a hell of lot more concerned about case head stretch/seperation than the necks!

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Barstooler..
thanks for your prespective... however, this round is NOT intended for over 65k of the factory rum/wsm arena... it's more in the 50-55k, like the 375 HH with indefinite case life...

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Matt,
if you like, you can search the big bore forum. I contact jamison on making unrebated... and rebated, rUM basic... that will ACTUALLY be .550 case head, not .542ish....

90 cents each... need 5000.00 pieces order

I am thinking a single bunter (headstamper) saying AR on it

jeffe

.550? Wont that change the concept of using beat ass Rem 7mm actions cause you will have to get the bolt face cut?

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote