New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 Possibilities
 Login/Join

posted
Hello to all.

I have a standard Ruger M77 270 with wood stock. I rarely use the gun, so I thought I would have fun and make a wildcat out of it. What do you guys think about the M77 action. It reminds me of a pre-64 type action. How similar are the two? I was told that the M77 had a very strong action. I was thinking about attaching a Lilja barrel, Timney trigger, and HS Precision stock. I know. Money, money, money. It will be a slow build. If you could rechamber this M77-270 to some type of wildcat, what would you choose? I already have a 270wsm and a 7stw. The one caliber I have been wanting to try for a while now has been the Lazzeroni Firebird. I know. $50-$100 for a box of ammo. Can this rifle be rechambered to this caliber? Any input would be great. I just don't know what my options are on this. Thanks for any input.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i think the lazz firebird is a long case and the best/cheapest thing would be a 7 dakota

the rugers are strong and wide so it will be great. prettu much all you would have to do is rechamber and get a .532 bolt.

what, no big bore??? the ar carts are perfect for them...416, 458 and 470 flavors and now the new 500 but the 500 will only get you 2 down without altering further.

p.s. welcome wave

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but since Lazzeroni and Savage made guns for the Firebird and you can buy factory ammunition then the Firebird isn't a wildcat.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12545 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Also not Wildcats but a 9.3x62 or a 35 Whelen or better yet the "daddy" would be a .400 Whelen.
.375 Whelen, oh yeah.
.338/06 or 8mm/06
Check out any of the Hawk line of 30/06 based cartridges too.
Before you turn your nose up at these ideas consider all of the above would be a simple re-barrel and no bolt face work and no magazine work, you even get to keep the same follower.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
have a look at my website, under the AR carts... you can build a 500 AR (based off rigby cases) and probably get 3 down with enough work, and the 470, 458, and 416 ARs all will work with normal gunsmithing...

they are "nothing" like a m70, other than both having a vague ancestor in the mauser 98.. they do NOT blue well, as they are machined from a casting, and tend to be purplish

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Like the model 77 action. The MK 2 I like better still. If I had one to build on And i already had an stw and a 270 WSM , I think I would goo with a Whelen or a .338, 06.
If you wanted to open the bolt face and rail to shoot a belted mag, I would look at the .358 Norma.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lots of possibilities there to look at. Maybe interested in building a wildcat nobody else (as far as we know) has done? Build a 338/358-375Ruger and have some fame and fortune.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
lots of possibilities there to look at. Maybe interested in building a wildcat nobody else (as far as we know) has done? Build a 338/358-375Ruger and have some fame and fortune.

Rich
DRSS

i forget who but someone posted that all the reamers from 458 down to i think 22 have been done ready for the fun...snce he likes the 7 maybe the 7 ruger...the 7 dakota will be the easiest and if he wants a wildcat just use the cheaper rum brass but the dakota dies. that would save money on the smithing and brass and no custom dies.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
HS,

The.270 Win pretty much doesn't have any flies on it, so going away from the .277" cartridges by rebarreling might be more fun.

I like my 6.5-'06, and some folks build theirs to be 6.5-.270. It would certainly feed well.

Going up in bore size, the 9.3X62 is a factory cartridge (.366"), but it is a very useful one and is getting more popular over this side of the pond.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
clap
I would go with a larger bore off the same case head as suggested - perhaps the 338-06 or 35 whelen - both are pretty efficient with powder and have plenty of bullets styles available.

I too just scored (super cheap) on a NIB ruger 77 mk 2 in 7 rem mag - this will become a 458AR as soon as I sort out the details with Jeffeosso. thumb

KMule

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote