Notify
Tools

has anyone made a 470 wsm?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar60.htm

a 500 gr 470 bullet going 2000 fps aint shabby for north america and pistol bullets for small to large thin skin game seems like a fun project for someone. has anyone made one?

t.c. encore???

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Richard Mann did the 416, 458, and I THINK a .500. noveske did ithe .458 certainly, and I have one of Mann's 416s in my stuff

You do know that the "commentaries" on realguns is/are paradoies, right?

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
yeah i knew it was tongue in cheek but still possible Wink

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boom stick

I have the reamer for a 475 WSM, just never had the dies made.

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
see i knew someone must have done something...

do you have the print you can share?

is it a straight wall like the diagram or is there taper?

to quote the immortal larry the cable guy...GIT'ER DONE!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
bigboredan...

if money is an issue (isnt it always) do you want to start a 470wsm project fund collection?

do all the load development and blaze the way for the 470 stubbie...

i think it needs a groovy name like 470 american, america's, here piggy piggy (H.P.P.), bigfoot, grizz, kodiak ect

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick,

it has a slight taper on it. My 375 American is a 41 Mag case necked down to 375.

let me get thru this hand surgery and I'll get back on the project.

How about a 45-70 improved? i have the reamer and dies for this.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the 470 ??? will be cool as heck with pistol bullets. what are you going to name it?

how are you improving the 45-70?

blown out and down?

blown out to 470?

lengthened?

heal well and fast thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know John Noveske, a local gunsmith who has created the 458 Noveske which Hornady makes dies for...

John has taken the WSM case and has chambered it bullets from 35 up thru 458... He prefers to chamber them on Remington 600 actions with a short 18 inch barrel...

Never fired one, although he has offered me to do so when I run into him at the range...

I watch him form brass for them with a CZ action with a short tube on it..and cases with a light load of some pistol powder and the neck stuffed with a little candel wax....

John's ideas are a little radical at times.. but they are effective and he is one heck of a great guy, and his work is impeccable...

one of those Noveske WSM wildcats on a Rem 600 action will give your testosterone an outlet, that's for sure!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I know John Noveske, a local gunsmith who has created the 458 Noveske which Hornady makes dies for...

John has taken the WSM case and has chambered it bullets from 35 up thru 458... He prefers to chamber them on Remington 600 actions with a short 18 inch barrel...

Never fired one, although he has offered me to do so when I run into him at the range...

I watch him form brass for them with a CZ action with a short tube on it..and cases with a light load of some pistol powder and the neck stuffed with a little candel wax....

John's ideas are a little radical at times.. but they are effective and he is one heck of a great guy, and his work is impeccable...

one of those Noveske WSM wildcats on a Rem 600 action will give your testosterone an outlet, that's for sure!

Hmmmmmmmmm.....
Make it a 21" barrel and she'll be perfect for the bush.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
guys...
the wsm 458 has about the same capacity as the 458 winmag... that has to gun 63,000psi to make 2100fps...

think of it as a DEAD line of reasoning, as you would have to run very high pressure to be less than the 458 winmag and certainly less than the 470 capstick.

if 3/16 of an inch is too much to through the bolt, well... that's all i got to say about that..

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The real issue is bullets in .475". You have too much case and speed for the pistol bullets, and not really enough case for the 500gr dgr bullets.

I think if you went with a slightly smaller case like the 350 rem mag you'd have a better match with the pistol bullets.

Better still is the 45-70 blown out in a lever gun. IMHO a 400 gr cast @ 2000 fps is just about perfect.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Instead of using the 350 Rem. Mag case, i used the 450 marlin case. The cartridge is called the 475 DMM. i have a couple of extra sets of dies and so does CH4D. It has to be fireformed.

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
guys...
the wsm 458 has about the same capacity as the 458 winmag... that has to gun 63,000psi to make 2100fps...

think of it as a DEAD line of reasoning, as you would have to run very high pressure to be less than the 458 winmag and certainly less than the 470 capstick.

if 3/16 of an inch is too much to through the bolt, well... that's all i got to say about that..

jeffe

Yes very true. So for bigger bores we would need something off of Lazz's short carts?
'Cause for me, the thing is I just can't get my head around a case longer than 2" for a short gun project. I don't know something just doesn't seem right to me about it.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
imho the 470 wsm should be best with 400ish grain pistol bullets or north fork solids if you have the col for it to be used as a brush buster...

but i think the 411 wsm will be the best big bore wsm with pistol bullets

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the 470 Rhino a 470 WSM in a semi-atuo rifle?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote