Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338/375 RUM...ever been done?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Brno 602 in 375 H&H and have been thinking about making a wildcat out of it, just for fun. (Or broching it to 375 wby or RUM)

I understand that 338/378 is a well known wildcat. How about using the 375 RUM-case as a base for a wildcat ? (Then you don't have to open up the bolt) Anyone tryed to neck down a 375 RUM to 338 caliber ? If this works this must bee a flat shooter with all the good bullets for 338 with high BC. And again....if this works, how about barrel life?

Thaughts about this project......

Thanks!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
there's a 338 rum factory
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
there's a 338 rum factory
jeffe

Yupp! I know! Smiler Is there nothing to gain by using 375 RUM case instead of the standard 338 RUM?

If not the 338/378 must be a better alternative. Anyone know anything about performance of this cartridge ?

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Ok Hunter74,

This is a reason why there isn't a 338/375 Ultra. It has to do with the extreme differences in pressure that the 338/375 Ultra had over the Ultra with a shorter neck.

For some reason Remington felt that it wasn't worth the litigation night mare to deal with the high pressures and possible blow up of rifles chambered for 338/375 Ultra, so they shortened things up a bit and made the 338 Ultra.

I would reccomend against it. You might look into it via the internet. I would build a 338 Lapua.

However, do what you want, as our own freedom shouldn't be sacraficed as to what others think.

Good luck with your big 338, whatever case it's based on.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Weatherby is back making .375 Weatherby ammunition, and it represents a step up in velocity from the H&H. They also offer the .338-.378 Weatherby if you want to move up to Rigby sized brass. A-Square has two big .338s: depending on which case you want to use. Their Excalibur is very much like the Rigby case.

Lazeroni also has a big .338 too.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good advice D99. I think I'll pass on this 338/375 and the high pressures Smiler My 375 H&H does the work I need anyway Smiler

Thanks again !

posted Hide Post
The 300 and the 375 have larger headspace than the 338 ultra. 338/375 would be the same cartridge as a 338/300. This actually seems to be a very popular cartridge right now. It is giving better performance than the 338ultra. Several people on longrangehunting.com are shooting it, having great results out past 1000 yards. I would strongly consider it if I were you.

Posts: 8 | Location: Birmingham, Al | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
It was my understanding that the reason the 338RUM is a hair shorter than the 300 and 375 has nothng to do with pressures or chambering problems or any of that. It was chambered shorter because some knucklehead at Remington decided the factory loadings were going to take advantage of a bunch of cannelured bullets already manufactured, seating them to the cannelure would end up with too long of an oal......so Remington shortened it. Thats the rumor I heard......

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i would do the lapua and buy the ar30 armalitein 338 lapua

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/ar30.htm

but to eaqch his own madness thumb thumb

i think the velocities would be the same and you could buy factory ammo...

sell your rifle and buy one it is around $1600 i think

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote