Find
Notify
Tools

Wildcat designing comparisons
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
cheersSince about 1957 one of my pet things to do was cartridge designing and wildcating. Some of the wildcats I have made were the 6mmX.270 IMP, 7X41,7.62X41,9X41, .375X41, 8mmX.425X2.5" Westly Richards IMP, and .358X 404IMP.I thought I was the originater of the 6.5 X.284 but found out latter in life someone did it before me but the one I built was something special. More than not the wildcat design project started out with some what ifs, was put on paper,modified after some thought and than filed to posterity.

I thought perhaps that we could share a little fun project and at the end have some sort of mature discussion.

Here's the deal.A hypothetical indivdual approached me at the shooting range and after all the Hi how are yous he says he understands that I am a widcater and he'd like me to design a one of a kind cartridge for him and see that the rifle gets built.

The rifle must have a pencil thin barrel 20" long and weigh no more then 6 lbs. without the scope and have absolutly a minimum of recoil without a muzzle brake. Further the cartridge should be designed so that medium weight none premium bullets will adequately handle the largest of mule deer out to 300 yards if necessary. Also if used with heavy for caliber none premium bullets it will handle 400lb. black bear and elk with well placed bullets out to 100 yds. or closer.

The cartridge design must facilitate smooth feeding, ease of forming and minimum die extraction force. The parent cases must be ""abundantly available"". When reloading the heaviest bullets they must not protrude into the powder room [ shoulder to neck junction ].

It would be nice for those that participate present a , "why I'm doing it this way" explanation feature by feature. claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes
  • Caliber selection: Considering size of intended game, especially elk,and bullet weight avilability it would be my choice to rule out 25 caliber and lower.With thoughts toward minimum recoil than I would chose the 6.5 caliber.
  • The muzzle energy level: It must be greater than a 30-30, ergo the case demensions must meet that criteria. This case capacity will be greater, and the higer than 30-30 working pressures will well achieve the energy level required.
  • To meet the case availability and capacity requiements the .308 case seems an obvious choice. When sized down with a reasonable body taper and a neck around .350 the resultant case length is around 2.025".
  • In order to meet the requirement for bullet seating depth not to go in farther than the neck shoulder junction with a reasonable 160gr. bullet, the neck length plus throat length must be a tad greater than .540". Working the first set of dimensions it looks like we go with a long neck, .350", hopfully establishing reasonable concentrity , firm holding and a throat length of .190".The long neck will also allow the lighter bullets to be seated far enough out to almost engage the rifling.

The following are the first set of demensions.
  • Head and rim dia. .469"
  • Base to shoulder length= 1.500"
  • Shoulder to body junction dia..420", giving a greater body taper than the 7x57. This is intended to facilitate feeding , sizing and case from die removal.
  • maximum case length = 2.030"
  • Shoulder angle=26 degrees.
  • shoulder,neck junction dia.=.298"
  • End of neck dia.=.294"*
  • oal=2.990"*

*It is conceiveable that these diameters are a little too large and should be reduced to one diameter of perhaps .291" by neck turning; maybe not.

It would seem possible that this cartridge with a 20" barrel could move a 140gr. bullet out over 2500 fps.Maybe a little more. Just a wild educated guess.

OK! The 6.5mm X 51mm LONG NECK ! Who' s next??? BOOMLet the games begin. mgun roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of boom stick
    posted Hide Post

what i envision is necking up 25 remington or necking down 30 remington to 6.5

it would feed great with that shoulder angle...the long neck fits the requirement the brass i dont know but it could be light in weight and recoil and could zap deer to 300 yards...load long with 160's for a black bear heartburn.

jamison is making the 25 rem 20 for $10

it has the same casehead as the 30-30 so you could make a rimmed version for cheap cheap cheap brass

you could also continue the 23 degree shoulder to make a long neck 260 rem version

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
    Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of boom stick
    posted Hide Post

how about cross breeding the 6.5x68 schuler and the 6.5-284???

it would feed great, have good capacity in a short action and a long neck.

if you use the 6.5x68 schuler reamer to a 2" length and use a separate throat neck reamer...you would get a better feeding longer neck 6.5x284...i know...not worth it but you would save on a custom reamer...if you do a 2.17 length you would have a long neck. approx .45"

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of boom stick
    posted Hide Post
    http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammunition/remington_0303/

well i did some more research on this and it turns out the new military round the 6.8 spc is almost what i described...

it is based on the 30 rem case but shorter...

so if the military is using a smaller version why not make a longer 6.5 version...look at the results they are getting!!! if they can do 115's @ 2800 then you can guess what this would do. granted they are using a 24" barrel

l to r 30 rem, 6.8 spc, 308 and 223

the time for the 6.5 rem has arived! it should be real light recoiling with 120's and 140's

http://www.65grendel.com/graphics/grendelballistics.pdf

it should outdo the 6.5 grendel...use the load data as a starting place since it will have about 15% more capacity

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    OK Boom Stick. Nice responses. Let see if we can get others to join us in this quest. thumbroger

Picture of jeffeosso
    posted Hide Post
    7x39, no other changes, normal primed, large rifle cases,

take a 204 ruger, weight relieve it, carbon fiber stock, nanoweight barrel, counterbore last 1.5" of the barrel to .308, and use a 10 twist, with 140bt accubonds.

of course, you could just buy a model 7 in 708, CF stock, and go hunting Smiler

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
    the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
    What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
    476AR,
    http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of boom stick
    posted Hide Post

6.8 spc

One of Us
    Picture of boom stick
    posted Hide Post

also a longer neck version of the mannlicher schoenauer...

but the 6.5 rem is in the lead

One of Us
    Picture of boom stick
    posted Hide Post

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4222.htm
    6mm us navy or necked up to 6.5???

or make a kind of hybrid using 243 webymag brass to make a 6mm version of the 300 h+h

use the 243 wby brass, the 6mm navy reamer...

or like i said, a 6.5 version

the dimensions of the casehead of the navy and the case in front of the belt are virtualy identicle...

avaliable brass reamers and dies to modify standard size rim/bolt face (243 wby brass)

long neck, should be low recoil and would feed pretty slick
    http://www.winchestercollector.org/guns/1895-lee.shtml

after 112 years its time to breathe new life into this cart...

or for a non belted version use 220 swift cases and 6mm lee navy dies...DAMN i am GOOD!!!!!!!!!

or make the 6.5 version...yada yada yada...my brilliance bores me Roll Eyes

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    Frowner ConfusedI really figured more guys would take a turn at bat with this one. thumbdown Oh well. roger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    About 15-16 years ago I got the wildcat bug, made up about half a dozen.
    223 Valkyrie aka 22-284
    6MMedusa, 9,3x64 Brennecke blow out and neck to 6mm, a 2.5" long 6-284
    257 Banshee blown-out, sharp shouldered necked down 6.5x68Schuler
    The best, a 22-378Wbee with a 35-degree shoulder like Ackley might have done.
    Rolled it across the table at the 1995 SHOT Show sitting with Bob Forker who did one in 1964...I thought he was going to swallow his dentures! I still got those reamers...don't tempt me!
    Now, I am a much more mature individual, it's things like a 550 and a 475 Gibbs along with the 510 KX (510 Wells minus the irritating belt) that keep me up at night.

Rich
    DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    bartsche,
    Just spotted this posting. Sorry but I'm not a fan of the 6.5's. To me the 270Redding (270/308 or 308/27 in the old country Wink) seems spot on. Bet your hypothetical mate can find a take-off 270Win barrel for shortening/rechambering, a Rem700 receiver to fit it to with a cheap synthetic stock. Brass is cheap, projectiles available from varmints to large game with the latter not being ridiculously long like the .264" 160gr. A 90gr for the varmints, 130gr spitzer for some reach and a 150gr RN for the bigger stuff.
    Cheers...
    Con
    PS: Custom dies are a bugger ... I reckon a 22Hornet FL die will do a passable job at neck sizing and a set of 7/08 dies will handle sizing the case body and seating a projectile clap

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    cheersNice touch ,Con. thumb

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    bartsche,
    I just hope at your tender age I've been able to play with half the wildcats you have!! It's a sickness I tell you!! rotflmo One day you'll have to share the x41 story and what you found playing with them.

Another nice thing about the 270/308 for the above hypothetical is that the 6.8SPC has spawned some nice lighter projectiles in the 115gr range. Damn thing sounds so practical ...
    Cheers...
    Con

One of Us
    Picture of boom stick
    posted Hide Post

so maybe a long neck 6.8 spc...

use the spc reamer and a separate 270 neck and throat reamer

or just neck up 25 rem brass! that would give over .4" neck!

p.s. a 338-30 rem might be interesting...

One of Us
    Picture of 45otto
    posted Hide Post
    7X57 up to .30 or down to .270.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of mr rigby
    posted Hide Post
    .323 PH

.404 shortenedalittlebit and necked down to 8mm, given an different shoulder , and the barrel can take 8mm bullets up t o the 250 grain Woodleigh.

Or the same brass with an .310 WR bullet or 333 Jeffrey bullet..

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    don't seem to be a need here what you are describing sound like a 250 savage

Posts: 152 | Location: Vanc.USA | Registered: 15 November 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I think jeffeosso hit the nail on the head in one of his passing comments. A Remington Model 7 chambered in 7mm-08 would fill the bill nicely. Although I can think of a more ideal coyote cartridge, as well as something better suited for elk, the little 7mm-08 will suffice in both cases and work ideally for everything in-between. Since you're talking about a wildcat, you might consider making it an Ackley Improved. Although not really a wildcat, my 7-08AI has a lightweight 22" barrel, and it would be quite handy with a 20" barrel without giving up too much.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Bent Fossdal
    posted Hide Post
    Bartshe,

The new 6,5x47 with the small primer for higher preassures is hard to beat.

Regular .22-250 brass could be used at lower preassures.

It is hard to combine low cost and eccentric cartriges.....

Bent Fossdal
    Reiso
    5685 Uggdal
    Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    it's been done already...the 25BR.

Rich
    DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I chose 7mm bore cause of larger array of bullets.
    I dont see as many "non premium" ballistically efficient hunting bullets in 6.5mm bore that I would like to use on game.
    Why muck around with two or more bullet weights? I feel the simple answer for 300yd mulies & 100yd BB/Elk is:
    One std.catridge/One bullet/One MV, ...ie: 7x57-154interlock2600fps.set in M70sa(3.08"box)kevlar stock, thin .525@20"tube.
    Bullet will sit nicely at base of neck with good balanced and asthetically appealing oal.
    Still Plentynough brass to choose, 6mmRem,257Rob,7x57, from a variety of makers...is that kind of brass choice/sources abundant enough?

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    ConfusedOK Thanks Roll Eyesroger

one of us
    Picture of RaySendero
    posted Hide Post
    270/308 seem to me to best fit the situation.

270/284 if more customer wants more velocity.
    270/7.62x39 if less.

________
    Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    6.5x39 a non improved 6.5 Grendel. Better for hunting.
    For a brush gun a 18.5" barreled 475-300WSM. You don't have to stoke the fire to get it to kill!

I like these ideas for moderate ranges. With the bullet selection these days, folks are killing bigger things with smaller bores.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Bent Fossdal
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bartsche:

What are you rolling your eyes for, gram? beer

Bent Fossdal
    Reiso
    5685 Uggdal
    Norway

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
    quote:

What are you rolling your eyes for, gram? beer

When first posted hopefully the responses would include each persons thought process on how they intened to meet all the perameters such as were outlined in the original post.

It was intened to be a study in individual conceptual approach. Although some of that was there it fell way short of what was anticipated. No fault really; interest and expression are just on a different level and that is why those baby blues are rolling. coffeeroger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I'll do a better job on my post in a bit. I wasn't aware of being graded. Big Grin

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Bent Fossdal
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

The cartridge design must facilitate smooth feeding, ease of forming and minimum die extraction force. The parent cases must be ""abundantly available"". When reloading the heaviest bullets they must not protrude into the powder room [ shoulder to neck junction ].

It would be nice for those that participate present a , "why I'm doing it this way" explanation feature by feature. claproger

OK, again I think the .22-250 is to be used. Cheap brass, easy feeding with its ample body taper and not to sharp shoulder. Opened up to 6,5, 140 grainers could be set to the base of neck and still have room in a short 700.
    A 140 grs Swift A-frame should be able to reach 2800 fps, a 140 grs 2600 fps.
    Neck would only be about .300, but I really do not see why one should use as heavy as 160 g bullets, when a premium 140 will do any job better.

Bent Fossdal
    Reiso
    5685 Uggdal
    Norway

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeffeosso:
    7x39, no other changes, normal primed, large rifle cases,

take a 204 ruger, weight relieve it, carbon fiber stock, nanoweight barrel, counterbore last 1.5" of the barrel to .308, and use a 10 twist, with 140bt accubonds.

el jeffe, please indulge my stupidity. Why have the bore oversized for 1.5"?

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by bartsche:

OK, again I think the .22-250 is to be used. Cheap brass, easy feeding with its ample body taper and not to sharp shoulder. Opened up to 6,5, 140 grainers could be set to the base of neck and still have room in a short 700.
    A 140 grs Swift A-frame should be able to reach 2800 fps, a 140 grs 2600 fps.
    Neck would only be about .300, but I really do not see why one should use as heavy as 160 g bullets, when a premium 140 will do any job better.

Thanks ,Bent. That's just what I had in mind. I believe, however, The 250-3000 case would be easier on neck metal strech. Cases are fairly easy to come by as that is one of the cartridges I shoot.

Your conceipt is close to what I came up with. It is totally adequate I believe and is somewhat lower on the recoil.Nice touch, Thanks again for your participation. beerroger

One of Us
    Picture of boom stick
    posted Hide Post

figure a .4" neck
    the 30-220 swift will have a long neck, 308 win power cheap brass and bullets...(i like the idea of using 30-30 bullets) mild to moderate recoil...you could load it to the wimpiest 30-30 power if you chose. you could zap deer with 100 grain cast bullets if it struck yer fancy...

it will also work on a short action.

it will work with bullets 8mm 7mm 270, 6.5, 6mm

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Used Remington 700, douglas cromoly barrel Bell and Carlson carbalite stock, or get your hands on a used Banser. Krylon for blueing and final finish, if cost is a concern. If money is not too much problem substitute Remington 7 or a 700 Titanium (Optional), premium S/S barrel, Banser High Tec or Mcmillian with edge fill and cericoate all the metal (it is a hunting gun). Either way Nikon 2-7 Pro-staff, hard to find more scope for the money on a rig of this type.

Hold a 7-08 reamer back .125. Ream neck to desired length, cut the throat on the generous side, Alla Weby. More capacity than a 6-250AI, should get a 120-140 moving over 2500fps 160s at 2200. Just guessing, no quick load. At those speeds Remington Core-lokt bullets should perfom as well as a partition and be way cheaper to shoot alot.

Standard dies could be modified. Enough case taper to feed really well, enough neck to grip long bullets and keep it out of the powder. Brass is everywhere, 260,7-08, 308 or 243 could be used, in every grade from onec fired military to Norma and Laupa.

I was orginally thinking just neck up a 250Savage, but you seemed to lean towards long necks. I think this would give you more powder room in the body also.

Boomie give it a review and see if my WAG is close. If it is good we should name it. I have only messed with 3 or so cats. I do not count improved cases as true wildcats, so this is the best I could come with given the fact that about ten beers and about 5 minutes to think about, does not sound so bad.

Best bet would be to talk him out of a wildcat, have him buy a Modle 7 in 7-08 and shoot youth loads out of it.

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Blueprinted:
    , so this is the best I could come with given the fact that about ten beers and about 5 minutes to think about, does not sound so bad..

Like the approach but it could be improved with a couple more Brews. beerroger

One of Us
    Picture of boom stick
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Blueprinted:
    Used Remington 700, douglas cromoly barrel Bell and Carlson carbalite stock, or get your hands on a used Banser. Krylon for blueing and final finish, if cost is a concern. If money is not too much problem substitute Remington 7 or a 700 Titanium (Optional), premium S/S barrel, Banser High Tec or Mcmillian with edge fill and cericoate all the metal (it is a hunting gun). Either way Nikon 2-7 Pro-staff, hard to find more scope for the money on a rig of this type.

Hold a 7-08 reamer back .125. Ream neck to desired length, cut the throat on the generous side, Alla Weby. More capacity than a 6-250AI, should get a 120-140 moving over 2500fps 160s at 2200. Just guessing, no quick load. At those speeds Remington Core-lokt bullets should perfom as well as a partition and be way cheaper to shoot alot.

Standard dies could be modified. Enough case taper to feed really well, enough neck to grip long bullets and keep it out of the powder. Brass is everywhere, 260,7-08, 308 or 243 could be used, in every grade from onec fired military to Norma and Laupa.

I was orginally thinking just neck up a 250Savage, but you seemed to lean towards long necks. I think this would give you more powder room in the body also.

Boomie give it a review and see if my WAG is close. If it is good we should name it. I have only messed with 3 or so cats. I do not count improved cases as true wildcats, so this is the best I could come with given the fact that about ten beers and about 5 minutes to think about, does not sound so bad.

Best bet would be to talk him out of a wildcat, have him buy a Modle 7 in 7-08 and shoot youth loads out of it.

how about that with a 260 twist?

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Ok.

Design Parameters: compact size and light recoil, game up to 500lbs under 250 yards.

Several years ago, when Remington chambered the 250 Savage in the Classic, about a dozen friends of mine split a set of reamers in 25-284 and had all the rifles rechambered in that wildcat. They have killed dozens of Elk and Black Bears, and antelope, and coyotes and...everything. I would propose that. It fits and it works.

Option B: a 6.5-220 Swift. I would have suggested the 6.5-284, but he wants a wildcat.

Option C: in the early 'nineties I took the illustrated (thanks boomie) 6.5x68 Shuler and blew most of the taper out, then necked it down to 25 caliber. The 257 Banshee. Run the reamer in 2" and cut the neck for the original 6.5mm caliber. A short Imp 6,5x68S...you could call it the 6,5x50.

Did I pass? Get an "A"?

Rich
    DRSS

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
    Ok.

Did I pass? Get an "A"? Much more ! I'm sure Coolroger

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Bent and bartsche,
    Bit higher up you guys mentioned the 22/250. A few weeks back it hit me that here's a readily available case, which premium brass in the form of Lapua, a handy case capacity ... but bugger all wildcats based of it other than the 6/250 and some straighter versions of the same case. Why??? Even opened up as large as 35cal, she'd be a pretty handy wildcat and much easier to get brass for than a 35Rem ... over here at least ... and no odd bolt head size. Should be pretty nice in 270cal again becasue the SPC has spawned some pretty nice lighter projectiles in the 270cal. The lesser case capacity compared to the 308Win as a parent case might even make it a bit more suitable for the 20" barrel mentioned. And ... used 22/250s are damn easy to find!
    Cheers...
    Con

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Should be pretty nice in 270cal again becasue the SPC has spawned some pretty nice lighter projectiles in the 270cal. The lesser case capacity compared to the 308Win as a parent case might even make it a bit more suitable for the 20" barrel mentioned. Con

I find that a nice approach. 6.5 or .270 might just be perfect. In .358 you might be stretching the neck wall just a tad too much. beerroger