ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Buffalo with a side of Hippo - Tales from Baldry's Royal Kafue
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo with a side of Hippo - Tales from Baldry's Royal Kafue
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bhtkevin
posted
Forward: I am writing a story to publish, so this is going to be a little bit less detailed than I would normally do!

Royal Kafue Camp – Kafue River – Zambia 2013

Hunting an Africa of days-gone-by was always the way I wanted to do it. I had no interest in hunting a high fence or put-and-take operation. I had no interest in a massage after a hunt or a 5-star lodge. I didn’t want to drive up to an animal and shoot it from the car. I didn’t want to see 10 different non-indigenous species per hunt. I wanted an experience as close to “old world” as you can get in a world of cellphones and internet.

An old war horse - Hyena

After some posts on here and reading a ton of hunt stories, I ran across a “bloke” called Andrew Baldry while reading a hunt report by Frostbit. At first I contacted him about a plains-game only style hunt, and he basically said if I wanted to do that, just save my money and come when I could do something like Sable or Buffalo along with it. A few months went by and work got busy, and on a flight to Asia for a work, my buddy turned to me and said, “Why don’t we just go for Cape Buffalo?” Andrew immediately came to mind and over a series of emails and discussions we booked an early October hunt for Buffalo and a bonus of extra plains game. I also had my eye set on taking a Blue duiker, even though Andrew wasn’t exactly sure how I was going to pull it off.

The first Elephant of the trip!

The nice thing about Africa vs a trip like Kyrgyzstan is you don’t have all the gear and supplies to not only buy before the trip, but also lug around the airport with you. Since we were both working in China at the time, we arrived in Zambia with just a smile and a carry-on bag. Andrew arranged a rifle for us to use that was certified to make heart shots on Buffalo and drop plains-game in their tracks. It held up to the certificate and trust me, we pushed it.

It took a while to get through the airport customs but once on the road, we used the time to discuss the upcoming hunt, what to expect, and anything and everything hunting. By the time we arrived in the camp on the Kafue River, we had just enough time to drink a scotch then head to bed. Andrew was kind enough to tell us about the lions that had been breaking into camp the previous week, so that was a good thought while getting ready to sleep your first night in the wilds of Africa.

Verifying the zero on the “heart shot certified” 375 H&H

Carter getting on sticks with Andrew – Buff Bachelor group in the background!

I will summarize much of the rest by saying the following 10 days were some of the best I’ve spent hunting and fishing in the field. My buddy was first up and shot a magnificent old dugga boy at 30 yards. We had stalked the group on the first morning for over 4 hours! Once we got within 30 yards of them, they picked out a great old bull that Carter decided needed one 375 in the heart, and a second in the neck to ground him.

Carter on his bull!

Carter with his big 39” old buff

Carter and Andrew celebrating a great hunt!

Battle Scars

The second day we stalked a couple groups from sun up until sun down. The closest we got to a large group was literally 7 yards. We intercepted a herd and instead of going past us, they tried to go through us. It was intense!

After looking over that heard, we decided to go look for a different group. At one point we were within 40 yards of a group of 4 bulls off from another heard for over an hour. We were just waiting on the big boss bull to stand up and when he did, it was at a full run because one of the smaller bulls spooked when the wind swirled. We got on multiple other groups of Buffalo all day, but just never found one we were looking for. At one point during a stalk, we had about 30 Buffalo on the other side of the termite mound we were skirting when a black mamba decided to flash by and stop about eye level up the mound and 5 feet away. Andrew was lined up and ready to shoot, but it would have probably hurt my hearing if he been forced to shoot. Luckily the lighting bolt snake went for a hole in the ground instead of my face.

On the walk back to the car, Michael the tracker ducked and whispered, “Buffalo!” Going into instant hunt mode, Andrew grabbed his sticks and we got within 140 yards before an unseen bull saw us and alerted the 3 other big bulls we were stalking. At 140 yards on sticks, I found myself lined up on my first Cape Buffalo, and he was staring us down hard. Just as he was getting ready to bolt, I squeezed off the LOOOOONG pull of the two-stage trigger and the bull rocked at the shot. He ran about 20 yards before collapsing. Shortly after, we heard the death bellow that I’ve read about since I was a kid. Amazing!

The next few days I spent learning how to hunt Blue Duiker. Andrew had seen them before, but neither he nor his clients had ever taken one (most clients aren’t interested and its not a quick hunt). Long story short, it took me a full 3.5 days of learning to put one on the ground. I had 4 pretty good opportunities before the one I finally took, but they are fast animals and don’t stand around for you to get ready. I will be writing a story just on this hunt.

This was probably the most rewarding hunt of the trip. Andrew just turned me loose with a tracker and said “go make it happen” while Carter hunted for Bush-Pig and Hartebeest.

Carter and his Hartebeest

On the 6th day of the hunt, we decided we were going to float down the Kafue and fish all day, then spend the night at Andrew’s buddy’s camp at the end of the float.

Fishing the Kafue River

We skipped most of the Hippo heavy waters but we still spent quite a bit of time dodging overly aggressive hippos and watching for crocs. The fishing was unbelievable and it was a great time until the “incident.” About 500 meters from our pullout location, a Hippo rammed us from under the front of the boat. It nearly flipped the boat and in the process and my buddy went overboard and landed on the hippo. Another long story short, we all survived and my buddy miraculously escaped with bruises, cuts and torn clothes, but no other permanent damage (besides psychological!!!).

Can’t pick a more beautiful place to nearly get killed

This is where the Hippo’s lower teeth pierced the boat

The attack on the river happened in the triangle of his arm in this photo

Being thankful to be alive, we took the rest of the trip pretty easy. I dropped an Impala and Carter took a nice Reed Buck. I had a Bush Buck at 40 yards but passed looking for a bigger one that we knew was out there. We even saw Kudu but Andrew didn’t have a license available for 2013.

Me and my Impala – They don’t get as big here, but this one was quite old

Carter and his Reedbuck!

The last day of the hunt we were loaded up in the truck looking for Hartebeest when the game scout whispered “wounded buffalo” which I relayed to Andrew as “DON’T STOP, wounded buffalo 20 yards away.”

The wounded Buff before it limped away from the area

Driving a safe distance away, we stopped and observed the bull was young, but extremely thin and sickly. We finally got a cell signal and called the game department, who gave us the thumbs up to take it out. During the time it took to get permission the bull got up and covered some ground, so we had to stalk it on foot. While not a trophy hunt, it was still an intense experience I was glad to be a part of!

Wounded Carter with the wounded Buffalo

So to summarize… We encountered a black mamba at 5 feet and eye level, we got mock charged by an elephant on foot at 30 yards while hunting blue duiker, a hippo on the water attacked us, and we hunted down and killed a cape buffalo injured by poachers. OH… and Andrew’s guys actually caught a poacher too. Going to be hard to top that on future hunts but Andrew said if we want to try fist fighting lions he could probably make that happen.

Me with some Guinea Fowl – They were delicious

One of the many grass fires!

Bottom line… we got everything we could ask for in a trip to Africa, plus some. I can see how these truly wild parts of Africa can be addicting.

After the hunt we had a day to kill and Andrew was kind enough to let us crash at his beautiful home and even run us for souvenirs before our flight. You seriously can’t ask for a better PH and “proper” Africa hunt.

I want to say a big thank you to Andrew for being an excellent host and keeping us both alive. You have an amazing hunting operation and a great family.

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bhtkevin
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Adventure, Great (short) story, Great Pictures.

Very hard to beat.

Thanks.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RickyClark
posted Hide Post
what a great adventure thanks for sharing

lets make a plan

Posts: 98 | Location: England | Registered: 29 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Report and really AWESOME Pictures !

Congrats

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fantastic and exciting safari! Very nice pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

Torbjorn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRICKBURN:
Great Adventure, Great (short) story, Great Pictures.

Very hard to beat.

Thanks.

+1 tu2
Having been there and done this with Andrew I loved reading this.
Thanks.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Great story, that first picture of the camp at night under the fig tree is one of the best I have seen, any chance you would be willing to share it?

posted Hide Post
Fantastic adventure and well done on 'surviving'. You take lovely images and certainly it looks a splendid location for a hunt.

The blue duiker is very appealing!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Royal Kafue seems to be a place of dreams. Amazing hunt, trophies and pictures. Even though I would choose not to be dragged down with hippos or meet a black mamba at 5 feet, I would go tomorrow if I could Smiler

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Besides drinking after the Hippo attack, I'd be changing my pants.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple of nice bulls! The hippo attack turned out very lucky. Great.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great adventure, great story and superb photographs.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Great story, that first picture of the camp at night under the fig tree is one of the best I have seen, any chance you would be willing to share it?

And me mate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Terrific experience and amazing pictures!

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
WOW! GREAT report and incredible photography!

What camera settings did you use on the first and last photos? Would be perfect for the Northern Lights this fall.

Congrats on a great hunt, can't get over those photos!

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos and report - congrats. AIU

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Andrew can certainly provide the adventure. congrats on a fine safari.

The photos make me yearn for far of places.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent!!!
Congratulations beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What a fun adventure! Thanks for sharing.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report and congratulations.
Jytte

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:

And me mate.

Me three. That needs to framed and hung in a very prominent place.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kallie404
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a super hunt!! Fantastic photos!!!

Posts: 109 | Location: Mooketsi& Phalaborwa Limpopo Province RSA | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Amazing photography! Love the blue duiker shot! Great report. Thanks. Ps what camera ?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bhtkevin
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I will post of a large version of the Milky Way shot later this week.

Charlie64... Both of us use the Canon 5D MKII. We each also have a 100-400 L, and my short lens is a 24-105 L. His short lens is a 50mm F1.2 and that is what he used on the Blue Duiker shot. It was lit by only a single incandescent bulb with no flash. Great lens.

With that said, there are also several iPhone 5/5s shots in the above post Smiler

One of Us
Picture of bhtkevin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
WOW! GREAT report and incredible photography!

What camera settings did you use on the first and last photos? Would be perfect for the Northern Lights this fall.

Congrats on a great hunt, can't get over those photos!

Greg

Thanks again!

Details for that image:

F/4
30 sec
ISO-6400
24-105 @ 24mm

One trick is you have to be careful on the exposure so you don't get star trails. At 24mm on a full frame camera, that is between 20-25sec depending on conditions. The stars trail a TINY bit in this capture, but its not noticeable unless you print it LARGE.

Ideally, you need a camera that is closer to F1.2 - F1.8 so you can get maximum exposure before trails begin. This doesnt mean you need a real pricey lens because some of the better Canon L's that are wide are really bad for this type of thing. Rokinon makes one that is 24mm F1.4 and uses older lens technology that works better for stars. Its like $450 last time I checked.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bhtkevin:
Thanks everyone. I will post of a large version of the Milky Way shot later this week.

Charlie64... Both of us use the Canon 5D MKII. We each also have a 100-400 L, and my short lens is a 24-105 L. His short lens is a 50mm F1.2 and that is what he used on the Blue Duiker shot. It was lit by only a single incandescent bulb with no flash. Great lens.

With that said, there are also several iPhone 5/5s shots in the above post Smiler

Kevin what about a free deal to members that have been in my camp and they could consider a steel plate print care of Roland?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
that's what I'm talking about

One of Us
Picture of bhtkevin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Kevin what about a free deal to members that have been in my camp and they could consider a steel plate print care of Roland?

Sounds like a plan!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like a plan!

I would be more than happy to work on that image for you Kevin for those that want my Ready-to-Display Metal Prints... and have you approve my processing style for that image to really POP on METAL!!!

Just need to let me know print size. tu2

Aloha

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I must admit that those are some of the finest photographs I have seen on this site and rival Anton's work. Very talented individuals posting great photos and hunt reports! One reason I keep coming back!

And the trophies were quite nice as well. Wink

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7523 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An incredible report! A dream hunt!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Best report I've seen in a long time. Fantastic photos!

Posts: 1045 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your safari and making it back home in one piece.

Super pics.

Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing photos! Awesome trip!
JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Excellent photography. Tell us more about your camera equipment and post-processing; I would love to be able to do as well.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote