ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    My Cranker Sable Antelope from Zimbabwe
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Cranker Sable Antelope from Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
Bwanna and I just returned from hunting the Dande South Concession with HHK Safaris. This was a hunt that we picked up from Julie Meredith of Sainson Safaris under the AR Discounted Hunts. We had two great PH's in Lance Nesbitt and Dean Kendall. We took some really good buffalo bulls, an old Chobe bushbuck, African Wildcat, Sharpes Grysbok, and a monster Sable bull. My Sable Bull measured 43 3/4 inches on the left horn and 43 inches on the right. Biggest Sable bull that Lance has taken in his professional hunting career, and this Sable could be in the running for the biggest to be taken in Zimbabwe for 2011. Here are some photos of the Sable:

one of us
posted Hide Post
a real beauty

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Super! tu2 Let's see some more.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Beautiful sable. I just returned from hunting in the DSA and Dande East. Buzz spoke on the radio several times with Dean and Lance. You were probably with them at the time.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Damn Vaughn that is one heck of a sable bull! Congratulations man, well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!! Great sable for unfenced area!!!

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Mooshy.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Pierre Hundermark guided a hunter earlier this year who got a 44" Sable also.

This year's competition is going to be tough.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12539 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wowsy! Really beautiful. Congrats.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
He's a toad!!!

Congrats!

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
That is a wonderful bull. Congrats on what sounds like was a great trip...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Yes, it was a superb Safari all around. We also spent a day in and a day out at Chifuti's Tafika camp fishing for Tigers on the Zambezi. My biggest was 12 pounds. What a great way to start and end a Safari in the Zambezi Valley. Mike: Yes, we were there with Lance and Dean at that time. We listened to Buzz on the radio every day. Here's a taste of Tiger fishing-Joseph, our guide holding my 12 pounder, and me with a smaller one of about 8 pounds:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible looking Sable, and congratulations to you!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice tigers! That is a gorgeous sable, congrats!

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great sable! That guy has it all- length, curve, secondary growth. Congratulations.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Let's see some pics of the rest of the critters.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Sable with a slight right or left turn makes one of the most attractive wall or pedestal mounts. Beautiful specimen!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
spectacular!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome sable! I love catching tigers too. Congratulations on a great safari.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UEG,

Very nice! Zim really does have some beautiful sable.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the hammer of a bull! He's a beaut!

A big sable bull is numero uno on my next trip to Zim in '13.. I WANT ONE SO BAD!! Cool

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Mooshy.

Will,
You too much time with Theiry!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
UEG,
tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Awesome animal! Big Grin

And some fine looking wood on that rifle of yours. beer

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
WOW!!

Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! What a gorgeous bull.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
That is the sable of my dreams!

Awesome, congrats!

Some nice tiger fish too, sounds like a good trip.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Vaughn outstanding sable. Welcome back and good shooting.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. Yes, the double rifles were working fine on this safari. Here's a picture of my buffalo shot with my Searcy 450-400, and an old worn down "mountain" chobe bushbuck that I shot far up in the hills. The hillside where we took the "mountain" bushbuck was so steep we had to hold onto the elephant grass to get down to and back up with him.

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Eeker Wow, what a sable!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome sable!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Proper Sable that. Very well done.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
My goodness Vaughn, WHAT A SABLE! and the rest of your kills as well! well done! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone! Big Grin jorge: It was a GREAT hunt! tu2

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Love the sable.

A scrum cap Grysbok...what a hoot!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Sable!!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Thanks again everyone! Big Grin jorge: It was a GREAT hunt! tu2

We'll have to chat in the near future Vaughn, would love to pick your brain to decide on my next hunt tentatively scheduled for 2013. Either back to Zim but I've never been to Tz so I'm leaning to going there, even though the cost is more. Again well done on all your trophies!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact me as both Lance Nesbitt and Dean Kendall PH in Tanzania. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle too. What is it, the one you took the sable with???

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for asking. That particular rifle is a customized Model 70 Winchester 375 by LeRoy and Connie Barry of Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks located in Hamilton, Montana. This rifle was one of five out of Winchester's Big Five Series. The 375 has the outline of Africa on the floorplate and says Big Five Series. It also has a gold lion's head on the floorplate. I also have the head of a leopard engraved in the silver inlay in the pistol grip. I have shot both lion and two leopard with it. The custom stock is bastogne walnut with customized checkering by Connie that also includes lion tails on the forend grip of the stock, complete with the dark wood grip cap. The metal around the receiver is all engraved, and my initials are located in a gold circle on the trigger guard. The bolt head is also fully engraved. Over the years, I have had LeRoy build me the 375, a 300 WSM, a 325 WSM, and a 458 Lott. He has also completely re-stocked my Merkel 470 NE. He re-stocks Merkels for Merkel when the need arises. My other LeRoy Barry rifles are all done the same way, with various of the Magnificent Seven on the floorplates and/or grip caps. The 325 WSM has a Sable on the floorplate and a Zebra on the gripcap. I would put LeRoy's and Connie's work up against anyone, and for the price! Big Grin