New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Awsome African Adventure
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally have time to get all the information together on my Awesome African Adventure.

Date of hunt: Began hunting 8 May and stopped hunting 16 May 2011.

The Details as follows:

Booking Agent: Phil Swearingen of www.juistzoosafaris.com Phone Number: 334)332-4631.
Phil does an excellent job book and outfitting. He is very thorough and stays in contact and answers all questions.

Outfitter: Daan Mostert of www.safariwildafrica.co.za Let me say that Daan put on a super safari and I give him credit for being persistent in finding my Blue Wildebeest.

PH Roaf Jordan. Roaf is the Crocodile Dundee of PHs, a very good people person and a great chef as well. Much credit for my success is credited to him.

Equipment as follows:

SAKO A7 S in 308 Win with Leopold VXII 3-9x40 with Federal 165gr TSX

TIKKA T3 Lite in 270 Win with Leupold FX 6x36 with handloads of 150gr Horn

Leupold binos

Browning Double rifle Travel Case (Bruiser)

Travel Insurance by Cabelas Travel

Firearms Insurance from NRA

Airlines: SAA from Dulles to Johannesburg RSA and Return

Meet and greet and firearms storage and SAPS licensing by Hunters Support (Air2000)

After hunt over nights at Afton House Johannesburg.

My wife and I departed our residence in North Alabama on 7 May and drove to near Dulles and the next day checked in at the SAA counter about 1:30PM. No problem with firearms or ammo. SAA flight was long and we were well fed. We were met at the Airport by a kind young man from Hunters Support and proceeded to the SAPS Office where we were met by Phil Swearingen, Daan Mostert and Roaf Jordan. A short trip followed to a guest house in Pretoria. The next morning after breakfast we picked up a chef (Bert), food and drove about 3 hours NW of Pretoria (I think).

After arrival at the hunting camp (a very comfortable and luxurious compound with chalets and very nice eating, cooking and relaxing accommodations) we checked the rifles for impact (no changes to either of my rifles were made. The SAKO in 308 was used for all trophies taken. No bullets were recovered as all were complete pass through.

We loaded into the back of the truck and soon to the delight of my wife had a close encounter with three giraffes. Soon thereafter several Kudu cows were spotted to the left and this big boy made the mistake of standing still long enough for a 60yd shot. Took two more shots to finalize the deal.

The nest morning after coffee and Rusks we left for the morning hunt only to soon spot three Zebras including this old stallion. After another 60yd shot, he went about 20 yds and collapsed.

Later that afternoon this very nice Impala showed up at 140 yds and was taken off the sticks.

The next day was a close encounter with two wildebeest at 60yds, but no deal. But then on Thursday at about noon the wildebeest were found at a water hole. A short 40 yd shot and the large wildebeest bolted to the left, but was not located until Sunday Morning dead and partially eaten by the Jackals. Much thanks to PH Daan Mostert and Phil Swearingen for searching for 3 days.

On one evening while returning from hunting this critter showed up in the grass at about 30 yds. What you see is the nice side.

On Saturday afternoon late while sitting in a high hide over a waterhole waiting for a warthog, this old and very nice critter showed up.

Early on Monday and the last day of my AAA this nice little Impala was taken at about 120 yds.

Later that afternoon there were four of us sitting at a waterhole watching an array of animals and hoping a nice Warthog would show himself. We were treated to monkeys, impala, gemsbock, kudu, waterbuck, giraffes and many female and young warthogs, many at mere feet away. Then at almost the last minute this guy showed up, trotting in at very short range. A quick running shot and he went down.

NRA
SCI & DSC
9.3x62
375 H&H
300 H&H
450 Nitro 3.25

Posts: 77 | Location: I been everywhere!!! | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a fine safari. Nice kudu and warthog, too! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR Ed,

Great report, and by the looks of things, you had a great hunt.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
congrats on a great trip...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Ed... nicely done.

Thanks for sharing your safari.

Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Well done!!
Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a very enjoyable adventure ! Nice post.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Well done and welcome home.

BTW, where in North Alabama?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
That kudu has very heavy horns and love the warthog. Thanks for sharing.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed,

You must be the quiet type - only 15 posts in 8 years! All of your animals are splendid. Samir is right, that's a very heavy-horned kudu. I also love the look of your gemsbok, zebra, warthog, everything! Thanks for posting the report, and thanks for posting those beautiful full-screen photos of your animals. Outstanding!

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ed,very nice and good shooting. Memories forever.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Nice report. Thanks

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vince Hazen
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. When are you going back?

Posts: 149 | Location: Lometa, Texas | Registered: 05 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and report!

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Lots of shooting in just over a week! Nice critters, too. Congratulations!
Very nice warthog and wildebeest. tu2

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time.

I love the wartie.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice post Ed. Looks like you both had a great time and took some nice trophies. Welcome to AR. Hope we hear from you again soon.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice Ed, thanks for posting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt. Thanks for sharing, I love the Warthog!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Great looking animals - very well done! And you, sir, chose very proper rifles!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics and hunt report!!

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nicholosi
posted Hide Post
I think the wildebeest will look great as a skull mount. Nice report looks like you had a good time.

John

Life Member Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member NRA
DRSS

Posts: 131 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done. That wildebeest skull looks like a Spanish fighting bull! Nice trophies...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice trip..Thanks for sharing..

Posts: 59 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 08 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt and nice trophies, cheers.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2 And, you spent it with your wife which makes it even better! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Ed, that is a beautiful Kudu and Warthog and impressive Wildebeast. Thank you for sharing your pictures and congratulations!

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
Well done! Gotta love that hog!

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 219 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophies and report.
lots of mass to that kudu. Great wildebeest and warthog. All good! Congrats.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Welcome Ed!

Great hunt and equally great report sir, well done!.

Regards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt. Excellent photos!

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dlroxby
posted Hide Post
Looks like you and yours had a great time. If you get up to Huntsville come by and let's share experiences.

Posts: 60 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great trip.

Where in North Alabama?

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote