ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Double Rifle Safari, part II Botswana

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Safari, part II Botswana
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
In 2014 when Botswana closed elephant hunting many (if not most) of us felt hunting there was over. Not so! Plains game has been and still is alive and well there and I have found the Mecca of plains game hunting in that fine country!

Jaco Visser's Nkwe Safaris is a short distance from the town of Ghanzi; which is about three hours from Maun. I have been to Africa a few times and I have never, repeat never, threepeat NEVER seen plains game in such quantity AND quality. And, the game is all free ranging animals native to the Kalahari area.

Botswana is a pleasant change from SA and the Zimbabwe I love so much. The country is clean, the populace does not live in fear behind walls and wire, and Botswana is stable both politically and economically.

I bought a package from Matthew Egan as advertised here and added extra animals and days. And it was another 100% hunt with no cockups at all. Here is a rundown:

Day one we drove a lot to look the place over and I took an old warthog.

Then it was off for eland the next day. And, what a day it was! After crossing tracks we silently followed for 90 minutes until we were very close. A mature bull fell but he was young, perhaps six years old.

As we were walking back to the vehicle Jaco spotted another group of eland. When he mentioned I could take a second bull at half price as he had too many, I jumped at it. Another stalk began and at 80 yards I dropped this old bull with a shoulder shot. Note the second hole ahead of the rear leg. He had been gored by another bull and was leaking a foul-smelling fluid (bile?).

I mentioned to Jaco he would have to work hard to top the eland day when we went for gemsbok the next day. He did just that! In the early am Jaco spotted horns reflecting sunlight. A half hour later we were spotted by the herd and all ran except for the bull. Here he is at 37".

We were off to look for kudu and several hours later this one was spotted. Thinking it was a bull from the size of the bases, it turned out to be a very old cow, 39".

It was in the upper 80s and the heat was getting to me. We stalked on a kudu of 55" but he kept on to the next zip code. Jaco suggested we to to a water hole and wait in a hide for the first animal to show up for camp meat. Nothing came so we drove away at last light. About a mile later this bull was spotted in the shadows of the rapidly fading sunlight. I was offered the shot for camp meat, no trophy and no charge. I shot and the bull fell at 120 yards. Walking to him in the near dark Jaco, the two bushmen trackers and Ampie (a young learner PH) stopped in amazement! A huge bull, 40 1/2", with wide and swept back horns! An amazing trophy and Jaco was true to his word: it was mine at no charge!

The next day an impala and wildebeeste fell to add to the bag.

Then, a nice warthog at a salt pan.

The following day this 54 1/2" kudu fell to a lung shot. I really wanted 55+, wishing for 60 but it was not to be. However, this place is kudu heaven as we saw 40 bulls between 50 and 58" in the final three days of my hunt!

The last animal to fall to my .450-400 was this old warthog.

The camp cook, Godfried from Zimbabwe, was amazing. Here he is with eland pizza! "And he wore a smile you could see a mile."

And the sun set on my second 100% perfect hunt. All animals fell to one shot but I put in a finishing shot to quicken the death on two of the animals. Honestly, folks, this is the place to be for plains game and I will go there again and concentrate on a 60" kudu, 40" eland, and 15" warthog.

Now it was off to Zimbabwe to vacation with friends. A day in Harare, two in Bulawayo and then to Kariba to relax on the beach and game viewing. Visiting the Bulawayo Club was the zenith of my stay there.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Cal. Congrats on a nice safari.

Interesting to know that the 450 400 works so well on Buffalo and plains game. But what about the 450 400 on elephant ? Any experience with that ?

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was rumen content leaking out of the eland bull's left hand side Cal. Bile would come from the liver which is located on the right hand side.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice trip, some great looking Gemsbok. Did you see any Baboons in Botswanna?

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Cal.It must be something spending a whole month hunting in Africa.I see the doubles shot well.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Some great trophies Cal- Congrats. Are you really going after a “ 15” Gemsbok “ in the future? That would be a calf.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Cal

Any talk of the elephant reopening?

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Great hunt with a DR,looks like a splendid time,cheers.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a wonderful hunt and some very nice animals. Thanks for sharing and I’m sure that our members here are glad you’ve been able to verify another great operation in the Ghanzi area.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Norwegian: My only elephant was with a .500. I have 100% confidence the .450-400 woudl be fine on elepant with a solid.

Doctor: Thanks.

Rug: No baboons or monkees in the Kalahari.

George: Thanks.

Bud: Correction made!

Safari: Yes! The new president is 100% supportive of hunting and elephant reopening is forcast for 2020. The PHs and very positive on this.

Bill & DLS: cheers. Ghanzi is wonderful.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. You took some beautiful trophies with a classic rifle. We are thinking Botswana may be in our future travels. What powder do you use for your 450/400 loads?

Safe travels...….L

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Thanks for sharing. You took some beautiful trophies with a classic rifle. We are thinking Botswana may be in our future travels. What powder do you use for your 450/400 loads?

Safe travels...….L

80 grains of IMR 4831 with a Woodleigh soft or lead and 78 grains of the same with a solid. My rifle was regualted for 55 grains of cordite. Add 3 grains to each load if a rifle was regulated for 60 grains of cordite.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Love the 450-400! tu2 It does its work effectively! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report Cal, that's a stud Gemsbok.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Cal. tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 676 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truly a dream hunt. You must have done a lot of good in a previous life!

Thanks for sharing.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some great trophies. Go a long ways to top that Gemsbuck. Great pigs too. Congrats.
Bruce

Posts: 373 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, it looks like you had a great trip and wonderful trophy's. My wife and I hunted near Ghanzi in 2018 and had a great trip! The Kudu in that region are amazing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wonderful trophies, and another great post. All of this topped by using some great vintage double!
Always enjoy your reports Cal.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Love the 450-400! tu2 It does its work effectively! Big Grin

What gun does not, if you do your part! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66945 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
What a GREAT PAIR of SAFARIS!! Well done and Congratulations!!
I would like to follow in your footsteps...we are looking at an Antarctica cruise with a crossing to Capetown in the future...might have to consider these options!!
My wife enjoyed the hunt at Hunters Hill and the Rhinos and Cape buff in camp...she is ready to go back already!!....now I take that as a complement to our Hosts...and I am a lucky guy!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2561 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal
Thank you for the great report.

Matt

Posts: 141 | Location: Pennsylvania  | Registered: 18 July 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Great report Congrats!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Good report with the pictures added to the story line.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply outstanding! Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Cal what Velocities are you getting with your loads?

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
Cal what Velocities are you getting with your loads?

2050 fps as my rifle was made for 55 grains cordite.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent reports, both, Cal! Thank you for sharing.

Looking forward to another 4-bore safari report, haven't read one in quite a while.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And Jaco is an excellent host
Been promising him for couple of years that I’m coming, so I will have to hopefully do it next year
Elephant got in my way this year...damn elephants...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote