Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CT Safaris, my experience
 Login/Join

posted
This is actually my first post so if I'm not particularly clear or don't make any sense, let me know and I'll be happy to elaborate.
I was going to post my experiences of first hunting trip to Africa when I returned in August but immediately after my return, I dropped a tree on myself, that took me out of the fight for a good bit, a death in the family and the settling of the estate and all the hassles that go with it. With all that behind me, I'll proceed.
I booked my hunt with CT Safari's, located near Lephalale, ZA. The man I met at the airport, who was also the PH and Outfitter is named Chris Troskie. As this was my first trip I had a couple questions for Chris that never ceased until I left ten days later. Poor guy! My original hunting package included a Sable, Kudu and a Nyala. with additional animals if desired.
I honestly had some reservations regarding my hunt, in the states, it not unusual to be sold a "canned" hunt. I had pestered Chris ruthlessly until I was satisfied this was a real hunting experience and not some petting zoo type shooting trip. So here I was, now what? It was about a four hour trip back to his place and I stowed my gear in a small cottage that would be my domicile for the next ten days. The accommodations were wonderful, clean, a large comfortable bed. Daily laundry service and occasionally I would sneak the tracking dog in the room with me. It was just like home, except I got busted sneaking the dog in my room. Nothing like starting my hunt with a lecture from the PH. Food was prepared by the lady of the house. Her name is Sabina, very classy and down to earth and an unbelievable chef. All in all it was an amazing experience, the hunting was terrific, Chris and his tracker Sammy worked their tails off to find me some really nice trophies. None of the animals I hunted were easy in any sense of the word. One example was my Impala, we tracked him up and down a valley for almost a day and a half, a two hundred yard crawl across a patch of head sized boulders and some of the nastiest thorns I've ever seen and it was still 150 yard shot. He measured right at 27". Chris assured me it was a pretty nice Impala and since I'm not an antelopeologist, I took his word for it.I was certainly pleased. It total, I took a Sable, Gemsbok, Blesbok, Nyala, Kudu, Impala, Wildebeest and an Eland. There was many more to temp me but I had to draw the line somewhere. I used one rifle exclusively, a Remington 700 in 35 Whelen, 250 grain Speer Hot Core soft point on top a whole bunch of Reloader 15. Everything save the Eland was one shot, He was down, but Sammy wanted to make sure. All in all, the hunt, the accommodations, food, the country and most of all the hospitality and friendship shown to me by the most consummate of host and hostess made for for a completely enjoyable experience for me. If your considering a trip, you just might give CT Safari's a look over. For my part I will visiting Mr. Troskie and South Africa again in the not too distant future

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffrey, Thanks for the great report and congrats on your hunt!
Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Sounds like a great trip! 27 inch impala is a monster ! Would love to see photos of him!

Glad you had a good trip.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffery, welcome to AR!

Congrats on your great safari and the animals you took, with a really super cartridge. The Colonel would be proud!

Nice to hear of a successful hunt with another 35 Whelen lover! I too love this cartridge and have taken mine to Africa twice. I took Leopard, Sable, Sitatunga, Hartebeest, Oribi, Bushbuck, Lechwe, & Warthog with it. It’s quite a versatile round!

The 35 Whelen is a great cartridge, and was a joy for me to hunt with in Africa. So, what will you be hunting next with your Whelen in Africa? No one can go hunting to the Dark Continent just once…

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Post pics please!!!

Posts: 10163 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great hunt. 27 inch Impala is exceptionally nice. From the list of animals that you killed I'd say you did well. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Bruce

Posts: 373 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done and thanks for posting!

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Sounds like you caught the bug…

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Jeffrey. Chris runs a top outfit.

A 27" Impala is a monster.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I can see just how addicting this can be after my initial "fix" If someone would be kind enough to explain how I upload pictures, I would be pleased to do so, I'm not very good at this sort of thing. Thank you everyone and have a Merry Christmas and blessed New Year.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Jeffrey,

Appears that you had a wonderful time.

Chris and his wife have great area that they hunt in.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1576 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Michel:
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I can see just how addicting this can be after my initial "fix" If someone would be kind enough to explain how I upload pictures, I would be pleased to do so, I'm not very good at this sort of thing. Thank you everyone and have a Merry Christmas and blessed New Year.

Follow the link below for how to add photos to your report. Look forward to seeing them. Have a Merry Christmas.

https://forums.accuratereloadi...0106691/m/7521061352

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's a hell of a first post! Thanks for the report and welcome aboard.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12545 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]

I'll see if this works.

posted Hide Post
[URL= ]

Impala

posted Hide Post
[URL= ]

Kudu

posted Hide Post

I thought he was pretty cool, old fella, past his prime. it appeared that the younger bulls may of push him out of the herd. Still, a great animal worn horns and all.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a marvelous hunt -- and you have the photos to prove it. I have never hunted with Chris, but we have corresponded off and on for years, and from all I can tell, you won't find a more stand-up guy! I am happy for both of you. Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]

We were waiting on a Nyala and this fella and a young bull came into the clearing where we had setup. Didn't have an Eland on my list.....until I saw how big he was next to the the other bull. His companion wasn't a shrimp by any stretch either. It was decided the older Eland was no longer competitive in the dating game, if i wanted one now was the time.....

posted Hide Post
[URL=[url=https://postimages.org/]

Finally, my Nyala. Another old timer. Chris knew roughly where he was hanging out but getting him to show up before we ran out of light prove to be a bit problematic. He showed up late one afternoon with a couple of bachelor friends.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 679 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Michel:
[URL= ]

Impala

Jeff, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting about your experience. It was a pleasure and an honor to host you and we're looking forward to your return!

That Impala certainly gave us the runaround.

We saw many Impala rams during this hunt but when we saw this one - we simply HAD to get him and no other ram would suffice.

The only problem was that he and his harem hung out in some seriously thick stuff and there was always a branch or tree or something between the hunter and his target. This was definitely one of the more difficult Impala hunts I've participated in. Fortunately, the plans we made worked out and what an outstanding trophy he is!

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMG Hunting Safaris:
Congratulations Jeffrey. Chris runs a top outfit.

A 27" Impala is a monster.

He does.

And we all appreciate his great services.

Well done to everyone involved.

How hunts should be. clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Again, that impala is a beaut ! Plus a proper old wildi. Well done. Thanks for the pictures !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote