ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Cape Buffalo Hunt: Rigby Big Game Safaris

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo Hunt: Rigby Big Game Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter: Rigby Big Game Safaris

Professional Hunter: Johan Hermann

Dates: April 23 to April 29, 2010

I just returned from my second to trip with Rigby Big Game Safaris in South Africa. I hunted elephant here last year on a hunt booked by Aaron Neilson. I killed a beautiful elephant on the 5th day. After seeing the incredible number of buffalo, I decided that I had to return this year to hunt one of the monsters we saw last year.

The area we hunted is the 250,000 acre Letaba Ranch. The Letaba was recently acquired by Rigby and had not been hunted for dangerous game for 10 years. The hunt is unique for South Africa in that it is not a fenced or canned hunt. I was fortunate enough to harvest a monster buffalo with a 44.5" spread and 16" bosses. I also took a monster hippo from the Letaba River.

Picture of Johan and me with elephant I killed last year.

It was frustrating to pass buffalo like these. However, this hunt was specific for a monster buffalo.

Look at the old boy on the left.

Picture of the buffalo I killed this year. Notice how the bosses are fused.

Another picture of the buff:

Pciture of the Hippo I harvested on the last day.

Elephant.

Chameleon we found crossing the road. The trackers were absolutely terrified of this little guy.

I hope you guys enjoy the pictures.

Posts: 80 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Wonderful buffalo. Congratulations. Your last years ele looks good, too. Please stick a few more photos up for us. Thanks

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Buffalo - congratulations. Obviously this is a top concession.What other game did you come across while looking for that monster ? What's the big issue with the Chameleon ? Is it a superstition because they don't look too mean ? Thanks for the report.

Posts: 464 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Great Buffalo, congratulations.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Very nice buffalo!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
fantastic buff- congrats...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian - Congrats on a couple of great trophies!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Awesome buffalo, spread & bosses tu2

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Wow. Fantastic buff. Nice hippo.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Very nice Buffalo!!
Congratulations.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is a buffalo! One of the better bulls I have seen in a while.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BA;

You just killed my dream buffalo..."ole helmet head"!!! Congratulations! That buffalo is the type that keeps us hunting!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous buffalo!! That center bull in the 2nd picture gets my blood boiling as well.....though not quite as much as the one you shot. Congratulations!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
Awesome buff and Great ele!
Congrats.

Posts: 120 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helluva bull, both ele and buff.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, How big was your elephant?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AWESOME trophies, well done!!

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really appreciate the compliments. To answer a few questions.

1. The elephant was just under 70 lbs.
2. The other animals at the Letaba that we saw are typical of those indigenous to the area. This would include waterbuck, zebra, impala, leopard, impala, giraffe, nyala, bushbuck, duiker, steenbok, klipspringer, hippo, buffalo, elephant, etc. Johann does not really hunt the plains game species as they are very expensive in his area and there are much cheaper alternatives in South Africa.
3. The trackers believe that the chameleon will give them bad dreams, etc. You have to respect thier beliefs. However, it's easy to have a good laugh with them about it.
4. I have included some additional photos below.

Here is another picture of the elephant. Some people don't like a photo where you sit on top of an animal, which I understand. However, I like this picture as it is the only one I have that truly shows the size of this animal.

Here is a picture where Johan is harassing the trackers with the Chameleon. Freddie is the one on the left. He was scared of his own shadow, but the best tracker I have seen in 5 trips to Africa.

I should have used this picture in my first post. He was laying down asleep in the middle of the road. He was laying while resting his head on his horn. It was one of those instances on a safari where you make a stupid comment to your PH. Mine was "Holy #$%^, look at the dead buffalo in the road." Guess he heard me as he stood up right after that. If I remember correctly, Johann said he was around 43". Anyone have an opinion on this?

Zebra:

The impala were well into the rut, lots of racket from these guys. Look at his back right leg as it is broken. Some leopard was going to get real lucky on this one.

Camp:

Another picture from camp.

I must say that Johann had the best collection of buffalo in the skinning shed. It's really difficult to put these buffalo in perspective in this picture, but mine is on the front left and is 44.5" wide. I remember the one on the front right to be 46" wide. The one with the longest horn is in the middle and I have no idea how wide he is, but who cares.. Look at his drops and curls!

Finally, his family came out and spent the night at camp. It was nice break to the typical safari camp. Good people all around.

Hope you all enjoy these as well. I am signing off as I don't want to be that AR guy thay drags his hunt report on to long. 505: Post the Kitty Cat!

Posts: 80 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
this is a hard report to follow, I'll get it up as soon as I can.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
You're a very fortunate man, congrats on some fine hunts.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice buff and elephant. Congrats.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Terrific buff and looks like super trophy quality in this concession.

Posts: 80 | Location: botswana | Registered: 13 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a Buffalo trophy! Congratulations.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Good trophy selections
Must have given you lot´s of fun.
Well, done.......

Work to live...live to Hunt....

Posts: 91 | Location: Angola | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elephant and buffalo are great! The bull in the middle of the 2nd photo would be hard to pass but easier knowing a bull ike the one you took were around. Really impressive buffalo!

Posts: 298 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies - either one could be the trophy of a lifetime...

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote