ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Nyati rhapsody in Save Conservancy with Shangaan Hunters
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nyati rhapsody in Save Conservancy with Shangaan Hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted
HUNT SUMMARY

Date of Hunt: November 2006

Locations: Save Conservancy - Senuko, Zimbabwe
Animals taken: Buffalo, Eland, Impala
Animals Hunted but not shot: Warthog, Wildebeest

PH/Outfitter: Gordon Duncan of Shangaan Hunters
Email: gordond@senuko.com

Flights: Adria Airways out of Ljubljana (Slovenia) to Frankfurt (Germany), then Lufthansa to Joburg (SA) and SAA to Harare (Zim)

Prelude

After exhausting canned flight nightmare I finally landed in Harare. Weather was clear – to slight overcast with 35 deg C - 95 F, that I found quite tolerable – but the fun with heat was yet to come down in South East Lowveld. Gordon picked me up at the airport and we planed to drive to Senuko right away, but SAA lost my bag (gun arrived tho). So some adjustments to the plan - I was ready for something like that and kept 11 days for hunting. So we went to African hunter headquarters in Harare and spent delightful afternoon with bunch of guys in “Williams Pubâ€, just to go back to the airport later and check if my luggage has arrived with next flight – it actually did.

Early next morning found us driving down to Senuko. Chating – I annoyed Gordon with all kind of more or less appropriate questions (he passed with excellence tho) - 4 hr long drive was quite pleasant with ever changing countryside passing beside. We finally reached the Conservancy at the southern entrance.

Mainly Mopane woods doted with Acacia, Baobab and other trees – patches of savanna sawn with kopjes and right from the beginning it was evident that I came in a some kind of sanctuary – first thing was elephant tracks on the road, then first game – impalas and a giraffe. And o boy it was hot – midday with 43 C – 110 F and rising.

Arriving to camp we were met by courteous staff with a welcome drink. We each got our chalets, settle in, light lunch, nap and off to range for sighting in the gun.

With some minor adjustments Softs (TUG 293 gr.), the flat pointed North Fork solid (reloads that were broadmindedly provided to me by our AR friend “African wild dog†from Zim Wink , along with some Bridger solids (added) and Woodleigh solids – weights range from 286 – 320 – I guess) went just there on 50 m. (Was impressed with noticeable lighter recoil of the reloads compared to factory RWS TUG`s.) After running all the ammo through the feeding process, we agreed on NF solid (on single animals) or TUG (herd situations) for initial shot followed by Bridger`s (added) and later with Woodeligh`s. Before dark we went on a brief drive around the closer area. Saw the first black rhino at one of the watering holes.

Meeting the Buffalo

First stage of the hunting was to present ourselves with a picture of ongoing Buffalo situation.

Pack of "ganyanas" - from left: Gordon, Joshua, Katchana and Kasirai

So we were out on tracking around the watering holes – checking the night visits right from the dawn. Temperature was 29 C – 84 F at 3.30 AM and rising, so basically at the 9.00 AM it was already 43 C – 110 F + that brought all the living things to a standstill.

Dawn sight from our departure point

Right at the first watering hole we managed to see first Buffalo tracks – it was obviously a big herd – dung all over the place. We just drove further (we were looking for “Dugga Boysâ€) – but after some kliks and around some corners we bumped right into the herd.

Wee what a sight – there were somewhere between 200 and 300 Buffalos there – I guess that was the first time I actually became aware that I am indeed here and those black giants out there are actually real. Hum – got shudder (just like when I was a little boy facing my first buck - the feeling that I have not experienced for a long time) – they got me rethinking my come here and to be honest, at that stage I was not ready to really face one of them. We drove off.

Right from the beginning we were seeing a lot of plains game – hundreds of impalas, tens of zebras and wildebeests and giraffes.

On our way we saw this guy with a brute wound on his left hind leg. Wound was old and so big that two Oxpeckers were sitting in there feasting. But the animal was actually quite in good shape.

We spent the afternoon on the firing range – firing my 9,3, Gordon`s 375 and Glenn`s 458. Guys have a great apparatus there – a wire is stretched in incline between two trees on a app. 50 m distance. The target is a hanging old car tire with a target in the middle (hihi - there are also impala horns on the top of the tire). The tire is pulled to its highest point on the wire, gunman stands on the lower side (right below the wire) and gives a signal when he is ready. The target begins to come with increasing speed (it covers 50 m in about 6 seconds I guess) – swinging on the way. Gunman let the target to app. 30 m and begins to fire. The wire is so low at gunman`s side that tire will actually hit him if he don’t give way. It was great fun – I managed to put three shots (iron sights) in with last only a meter away just managing to jump out of the way when “the beast†bumped into a stopper at the end of a wire – great stuff – just sorry I didn’t took a picture of it.

Next morning we were just on our way to the “Dam†watering hole when we suddenly spotted 5 Duggas 50 m from the road.

There was a shooter (app 40 inches) in there - the one on the left, but since we were in an early stage of the hunt we just take a note of them and drove on. At the watering hole near Rob’s house the trackers picked up a lone bull’s track that looked alright so we saddled up and went on tracking him.

We were tracking this guy for most of the morning and at about 9.00 AM left the spoor just to be picked up later in the afternoon.
At 3.00 PM we were back – first circling around the area – tracking from vehicle on the roads to se if bull has left the area. He didn’t so we picked up the spoor from the morning just to found out that he winded us on the way and fled. When running he exposed that he limps on one of his hind legs. The tracks were nearing the watering hole and the dusk was setting in so we decided to leave the track and pick it up by the watering hole next morning.

We were at the watering hole early in the morning just to find out that there was a big herd there during the night and picking up the lonely bull’s spoor became impossible – how ever there was a giant foot in that herd that even experienced tracker Katchana give astonished sound when he spotted it. It would become our point of departure for afternoon. We went on to check other holes. Approaching another hole we saw a civet cat lying in the sand beside. At first glance it looked dead.

But when we approached him, he barely managed to get on his feet and dragged himself behind some rocks nearby. Gordon decided that he should be given some time – we will check him in the evening and if he wouldn’t be much better he should be relieved of his misery. Nothing buff at that hole so we drove on. Near “C2†hole we stumbled upon an elephant herd – last elephants just coming out of the dry riverbed.

This cow was the last in line showing us some cheeky behavior – obviously still having a young near by – I thought she was one of the notorious one – well not quite as I was soon to find out. Those were the first wild elephants I met (from the car) – very impressive – we are so small.
In the afternoon we caught up with big herd of buffalo but after we approached them the wind shifted and they were gone. According to the situation (terrain, night closing), we didn’t try to push them more. So we went to check the civet guy.
On our way there we met a big herd of elephants (40 or something), going parallel with the road (opposite way). They were on their march not giving us a sign they spotted us – hmm – at least not all of them. The last but one was “The notorious one†– she spotted us from 100 m – “tiptoed†– ears out – trunk up and came straight on – Gordon pushed the pedal to get us in front of her – oh she was mad and determined – another cow joined the party and they were chasing us trumpeting on the way.

Gordon let her come quite close – fired two rounds from his .44 mag. In the ground in front of her – but she just didn’t care – she was still coming. So we were better off. According to Gordon - sadly the cow is a matriarch of the herd and with behaviour like that she will encourage other elephants in the herd to imitate it – there are more problems that can be foreseen – it wouldn’t be funny if she caught us on a bad road or when crossing riverbed and I can hardly imagine the “Rhino monitoring guys†(with their mountain bikes) without any guns that would accidently stumbled on that lady…

On to the civet. We found him lying at the hole again – and when approached he tried to get away – Gordon gave him coupe de grace and we checked his status. Huh he was in big trouble – obviously he got caught in a bushfire – fur was all burned and his paws wear thin to the raw meat – still bleeding.
Called a day – but there is always something more - on our way to lodge we stumbled upon three buffalos at the dry hole – two impressive old guys with a “baby bull†that apparently got lost from the herd and was just roaming with them. They were on their way to the watering hole at the lodge. They would be a good start for tomorrow.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse,

Excellent report! That photo of the ele chasing you is a prize winner! Is that what you call a"cheeky ele"?

Thanks for sharing!

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH !

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mouse: If you're passing on buff like those, I can't wait for the next installment!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great experience! September of this year I hunted with Gordon in the Doma area: just seeing the elephant tracks and droppings got me all excited; never saw the elephants. Congratulations!

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a good report!
Hurry up and type more dammit!

BTW the elephants chasing the car looks like one of life's memorable moments. Good thing you caught it on film.

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great report. Love the photo of the cows casing you. Keep 'em coming.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Nyati the warrior

Morning as usual – awaking at 3.00 AM – cold shower – cup of coffee – pill of Malarone – guys stuffed the truck with goodies. Bulls from the yesterday were indeed on the hole by the lodge (it is a non-hunting area). Trackers picked their tracks and off we go. Since they were moving in some obvious way Gordon, Katchana and I took the truck and went to check the road near.

Soon we found the crossing point and waited for Joshua and Kasirai to came through. Katchana checked the road ahead, and found out that 3 bulls joined their numbers probably with the 5 Duggas from the second day of the hunt. Truck in the shade, kamelbacks and rifles on our backs and we hit the tracks. We spooked a big giraffe (I guess the one with big wound on his leg) that Murphy style went just the way buffalo have taken.
Tracks were going in a lazy meanders through mopane wood, then through a patch of savanna like meadow – sown with single trees - to what seemed to be some kind of bushy acacia stuff. Just before reaching it, tracks turned right toward big kopje – remaining on open grassland. At the foothill of the kopje – another sharp turn going around the granite hill. A lonesome warthog was checking us from the 50 m and let us pass without fleeing. Tracks were still going – approaching a small meadow with some granite rocks in the middle, when all at the sudden all the trackers like one were cut down going prone. So did Gordon with me on the tail. Obviously we found them. We peeked over high grass and here and then manage to get a glimpse on a single reflection from one of the hooks of the already bedded down bulls right beside the granite rocks some 30 m away. It was a standoff that didn’t lasted long – the lone swirl of the wind from the back and a subdued trample sound of the hooves going away was all that remained of the Duggas.
Knowing that they may not be far we were going to flank them – staying downwind, since the wind behind the corner of the kopje was good. We covered some 500 m when they were spotted ahead in mopane wood moving to the left. Speeding up we crossed their tracks to intercept them from their left side. We were moving into position when the before mentioned giraffe came into the scene – looking funny - he was contemplating us from his sky high viewing platform and our efforts to disappear somehow were pointless. And as you may guessed he took off right through the Duggas company – they didn’t needed much to go with him. That was it – no point in pushing them on this morning – we let them to calm down and catch with them latter. Kasirai was sent for vehicle while others just hit the closest road, find a shade and wait for the truck.

At that moment a message came from the radio, Joshua was having an intense exchange of the words with the guy on the other side. I got that belly feeling that something was about to happen. When they finished Gordon told me that it was a guy from “Rhino monitoring†informing us on a sighting of a strange behaving buffalo at the “Dam hole†and said we will go try to find him and investigate his status. Kasirai arrived with truck and we were on the road to the hole, picking up 2 guys from “Rhino monitoring†with their mountain bikes on the way.
Arriving at the hole “Rhino†guys showed us where they saw the buffalo. Katchana didn’t need long to find a spoor and we followed for a 100 m, when the snap of the fingers reported a sighting. Gordon spotted the buffalo some 200 m away bedded down - facing the wind, under the shade covered with some high grass and a broken bush behind his back. Gordon checked the wind with his ash sock and we began our cautious approach – flanking him from the right. We had to go follow some shallow ridges and didn’t saw the buffalo by that time. When we thought we were far enough a sharp left turn was to follow, that would bring us directly behind the bull. According the terrain and the bush we got a sight of him only when we were some 20 m away. Trackers and Rhino guys remained at the background when Gordon gave me a sign to follow him silently. We came to some 15 m to the still bedded buffalo that was taking a nap (he leaned his left horn on the branch). It was a strange position that made think that he was dead. I had to ask Gordon twice if he is sure that buffalo is still alive. He was sure and now even I could see the shallow moving of his chest when breathing. There was a lonely Oxpecker sitting on his back watching us getting into position. Bird didn’t give a single sound to warn his carrier.

Gordon confronted me with facts:

- First we must make him stand up so he would present us his status both on condition and trophy.
- If the trophy would be good, if his condition status was bad or if he would charge us we will have to shoot him.
- If trophy would be bad, and his status not to be concerned about and of course if he would run away we will let him go.
- If we had to shoot him and trophy would be bad, the hunt will continue in search for another trophy bull.

It was all right with me.

Gordon asked me if I am ready. After wiping my sweaty palms against my shorts (my mouth were dry I couldn’t spit a drop and the heart was up there somewhere in the throat and the heat -o-boy the heat become cold), I wrap up the sling around my right hand (I am lefty), cocked the rifle and gave him affirmative answer. I left all my thoughts go and just went with a flow.

Gordon whistled quietly, bull raised his head, still looking into the wind – away from us. Then Gordon shouted loudly – nothing just a couple of nods bull did with his ears. Gordon picked up short stick and knocked with it on his rifle barrel – same result – flapping ears. Huh this tense waiting was exhausting and I could feel something was about to brake if nothing happens very fast. Last try – Gordon throw the stick over the bull – it landed a meter or so in front of him.

That does it. Bull raised slowly with his front legs first and hind ones were to follow – with difficulty – there was something really wrong with that guy. My cross in the scope (Docter 1-4x24 – set to 2) was bouncing around the shoulder joint trying to steady on that magic triangle – awaiting any decision Gordon would make. No pause in the action - raising of the giant with simultaneous turn of the head to the right (putting two and two together – he spotted us right away) was followed by a fluent 270 degree turn to the right and he was – huh – coming!!! Head raised – stunning view I will never forget – his eyes were on both sides of his nose (sun was right behind our backs and I remember every small detail there – those eyes - big brown with an arrow like horizontal pupil fixed on us – like you owe him some money someone said, but there was something more IMO – no words for it) – upper lip rolled up – exposing the front teeth in the lower jaw. It was like in slow motion – no grunt no sound – he just slowly became bigger and bigger. Gordon’s: “Shoot him!†came like deliverance, with Pierre’s voice from one of Saed’s video clips whispering in my brain: “Under the nose†the cross simultaneously landed under the chin, followed by a sweet soft kick in my left shoulder – didn’t actually expect much out of this with my 9,3 – but I was wrong – flawlessly pulling and pushing the bolt I was watching the shot took effect - bull took it hard – head and whole torso rotating down to the left – nose hitting the ground – down on his front knees with hind legs still trying to push him ahead – exposing his right flank to us – Gordon’s shot came in like from a big distance (boy was I happy he is there) hitting the bull high on his back putting his hind end to the ground. But the head and those eyes were coming back up again – “Shoot him again!†was all I remember and with bull raised on his front legs – the cross spontaneously found the shoulder – neck joint and there was again that sweet, sweet push on the shoulder – that knocked the last will to fight out of the guy – the beast was laying down with his head still up, but the eyes weren’t there anymore – he was looking away from us to our left– down to the watering hole and beyond to mopane woods of Senuko he once roamed…

side brain shot behind his left eye put the Mighty Warrior to his rest…

He was A Trophy and we were both carried away with how things developed – I just can not top it – no way – being one lucky SOB ending my first Nyati hunt like this – someone wrote somewhere - there is always something with your first buffalo.

He had some bed injuries on his back – near the tail, on the knees and on the heels of the hind legs. But the biggest surprise came when the skinners cleaned the skull.

There was an 10 inches long and ½ inch thick stick imbedded in the skull just where the horns join the skull on the lower left side. The stick must have been there for some time (couple of years – note the hole is app 1 inch in diameter) and that is why his left horn is so nicely polished – he rubbed his left horn over and over again just to get the damn thing out. One can also see the path of the bullet coming from left to right.

Some stats:

- Distance from the beginning of the charge: 13 paces
- Distance to the end of the charge: 10 paces
- Shots fired: 4 (No1: 9,3 NF solid flat point (copper like) – hitting him in the left lower jaw – continuing to the neck – bullet is still to be found – must have ended somewhere in the lower neck-breast vertebras, No2: 375 H&H Woodleigh solid 300gr. entering in the neck – back joint exiting high bellow the spine in the middle ribs, No3: 9,3 Bridger soild (changed) - going through the shoulder joint above the heart - found in the spine, No4: Bridger solid (changed) entering behind the eye passing through the head – bit quartering – found under the hide below the horn).
- Time of the charge: app. 4-5 seconds from first shot to Coupe de grace.

The initial bullet broke the jaw just in front of the teeth and continued – yet to be found.

Penetration on those Bridger solids (changed) was a bit fishy – they are long, they did bend – and shooting was close from an 20 inch barrel with (I guess) app 2100 fps – maybe someone with more ballistics knowledge might have an explanation. Tho they did the job.

How ever – after all the congratulations, trophy pictures, embarking the buffalo on a tractor trailer – we called it a day – went to the lodge to pick up some stockpile get into Gordon/Glenn’s house and get ourselves “beer-wiserâ€.

In the afternoon a storm graze us on the north-west – poured the dry land with some drops – change was on its way.

Eland

Well feeling some kind of empty but on the other hand more relaxed, we set our sights on finding a decent eland bull. We were driving around checking immense numbers of different plains game,

saw quite some Dugga boys even if we were not after them.

Oh and almost forgot the real ganyanas:

Got mock charged by black rhino:

Those elands found to be quite difficult – they were shy and spooky like hell – even taking a picture of them (out of the car) was an achievement. All I ended with was a couple of long legs disappearing in the bush,

That one is the most decent I got.

We saw quite some numbers of them, but they were all cows. We also got some cold front 2 days there – with temperatures dropping down to 11 C – 52 K with pouring rains – even game didn’t like it. So with 2 days of hunting left, we decided that the spectrum of the hunted animals should be broaden, so we add the wildebeest, warthog and impala on the menu.

One the last but one day of the hunt we were cruising around looking for an eland, checking impalas for a trophy – we found one that might be decent. We took of on a short stalk after impalas that were grazing away from us into a grassy bush – Gordon put me on an anthill from which I took a quartering shot on a big guy disappearing into bush.

Bullet (RWS TUG soft) entered at the hind leg, break the thighbone went all the way to the opposite front leg and was found in the windpipe.

We had some failed stalks on wildebeests and warthogs. But at the dawn of our last hunting day, we were just out driving, when the snapping of the fingers reported a sighting – eland – bull - 300 m ahead! Gordon checked the guy through the binos and said to the trackers: “Futi!†Which means rifle. Eland was disappearing into the bush. We (Gordon, Katchana, Joshua and me) set on his tracks, while Kasirai remained in the vehicle. Gordon advised me to use a Bridger solid (changed) for the eland – so be it.

We followed the bull for an hour or so, when we found that he joined the herds of wildebeest and zebras. Soon after that we catch them. They knew that there is something out there and they were quite nervous – wildebeests snorting and zebras stomping – with eland keeping them between himself and us. But he did a mistake – he positioned himself in a bush keeping an eye on his trail. We spotted him app. 180 m away, peeking in our direction with just a part of the shoulder and neck exposed quartering our way – with zebras on the left and wildebeest on our right we couldn’t raised ourselves so Gordon found a hole in the bush and ask me if I can take a shot – with a rest on his back. I needed some time to pick myself together – at first glance I thought it would be no way – cross in the scope was all around – after all tho eland is quite big a distance of 180 m is not to be taken easy with 4x magnification assuming it was our last day. So I pulled myself together lean on Gordon’s back put a cross on eland neck-shoulder joint and let the bullet go. At the hit the bull jumped back and took off with zebras. We waited for a minute or so and got to the place he was standing. We found deep prints of his hoofs on the spot he was shot. And there nearby first blood. Shooting him with Bridger solid (changed) I was expecting a long tracking. But he made just 80 m with good blood spoor - and there he was – big – giant - dead already when we reached him. Bullet went in on the neck – exiting right behind the opposite shoulder – cutting the veins above his hart. Impressive noble animal, taken with impressive work of a tiny bullet.

So at the end it was all over. Long drive back to Harare ended like it has began – a great bunch of people in a “Williams Pubâ€. Met Don Heath there and he just reminded us that it was a good moment to drink some “Scud beer†that will leave some smell of Africa in my nostrils – and he was right!

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Excellent report!! Like a good mystery novel, I couldn't stop reading it. Very good animals also. Thanks for posting.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great report! Congratulations!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a great buffalo and getting charged by 3 of the big 5 must also be quite memorable!

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Superb report.

Congratulations!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report!

It may be my eyes, but the third bullet looks like a Bridger solid.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the excellent report. You truly had a quite memorable hunt!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what fun. Great report. Thanks for sharing with us....

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
GREAT report + GREAT cartdrige + GREAT buffalo !!!!

Thanks for sharing.
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Awesome report!!! Great pics too!

I have to agree with 500grs on the bullets though...The second bullet in the picture he re-posted looks like a NF and the third looks like a Bridger. Likewise, I'm pretty sure the bullets in the picture below are Bridger solids too (not NFs)...

Cheers!
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
OK, great report!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and superb story... I felt I was there hunting with you! Congrats on a great old trophy Dugga boy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the hunt report and pictures. I had also seen a pack of wild dogs on one of my safaris, but didn't get pics. Wish I had as they were very close to the truck.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys - my apology - I guess those are indeed Bridger`s - will change names in report.

Bryan I heard about your hunt in the Doma - Gordon is working hard to get things even better up there - when I was in Save they were just beginning to move the people out of the area - might be my next hunt destination.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cheers Glad you had a great hunt, but cannot believe the rumour that you went back and had a second sip of that Scud Big Grin

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Big Grin - you know how they say: "Drowning men catch at straws, beggars can't be choosers." Wink cheers

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mouse:
Many thanks for bringing me along on your buff hunt.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse, where did you run onto NF and Bridgers? Those Bridgers appear to be 300 grain 9.3's, which is long for caliber, resulting in bending (we would not know that without experimenting and people like you reporting), consequently the consensus seems to be that brass solids should be about 10% lighter than a standard lead core solid to keep the bullet length appropriate for caliber.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse,

Congratulations on the hunt. Thanks for the report. Your photographs are excellent.

Regards,

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse: I like the Doma area; in fact, I will be returning early next May. We bought a liter(?) of scud and I tried to choke down as much as I could. It wasn't as much as I thought I would drink! It was warm and you know what the taste and consistency reminds you of. Anyway it took several good shots of scotch to kill that taste

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Awesome report and pictures!! Thanks for sharing!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
Nyati the warrior

Morning as usual – awaking at 3.00 AM – cold shower – cup of coffee – pill of Malarone – guys stuffed the truck with goodies. Bulls from the yesterday were indeed on the hole by the lodge (it is a non-hunting area). Trackers picked their tracks and off we go. Since they were moving in some obvious way Gordon, Katchana and I took the truck and went to check the road near.

Soon we found the crossing point and waited for Joshua and Kasirai to came through. Katchana checked the road ahead, and found out that 3 bulls joined their numbers probably with the 5 Duggas from the second day of the hunt. Truck in the shade, kamelbacks and rifles on our backs and we hit the tracks. We spooked a big giraffe (I guess the one with big wound on his leg) that Murphy style went just the way buffalo have taken.
Tracks were going in a lazy meanders through mopane wood, then through a patch of savanna like meadow – sown with single trees - to what seemed to be some kind of bushy acacia stuff. Just before reaching it, tracks turned right toward big kopje – remaining on open grassland. At the foothill of the kopje – another sharp turn going around the granite hill. A lonesome warthog was checking us from the 50 m and let us pass without fleeing. Tracks were still going – approaching a small meadow with some granite rocks in the middle, when all at the sudden all the trackers like one were cut down going prone. So did Gordon with me on the tail. Obviously we found them. We peeked over high grass and here and then manage to get a glimpse on a single reflection from one of the hooks of the already bedded down bulls right beside the granite rocks some 30 m away. It was a standoff that didn’t lasted long – the lone swirl of the wind from the back and a subdued trample sound of the hooves going away was all that remained of the Duggas.
Knowing that they may not be far we were going to flank them – staying downwind, since the wind behind the corner of the kopje was good. We covered some 500 m when they were spotted ahead in mopane wood moving to the left. Speeding up we crossed their tracks to intercept them from their left side. We were moving into position when the before mentioned giraffe came into the scene – looking funny - he was contemplating us from his sky high viewing platform and our efforts to disappear somehow were pointless. And as you may guessed he took off right through the Duggas company – they didn’t needed much to go with him. That was it – no point in pushing them on this morning – we let them to calm down and catch with them latter. Kasirai was sent for vehicle while others just hit the closest road, find a shade and wait for the truck.

At that moment a message came from the radio, Joshua was having an intense exchange of the words with the guy on the other side. I got that belly feeling that something was about to happen. When they finished Gordon told me that it was a guy from “Rhino monitoring†informing us on a sighting of a strange behaving buffalo at the “Dam hole†and said we will go try to find him and investigate his status. Kasirai arrived with truck and we were on the road to the hole, picking up 2 guys from “Rhino monitoring†with their mountain bikes on the way.
Arriving at the hole “Rhino†guys showed us where they saw the buffalo. Katchana didn’t need long to find a spoor and we followed for a 100 m, when the snap of the fingers reported a sighting. Gordon spotted the buffalo some 200 m away bedded down - facing the wind, under the shade covered with some high grass and a broken bush behind his back. Gordon checked the wind with his ash sock and we began our cautious approach – flanking him from the right. We had to go follow some shallow ridges and didn’t saw the buffalo by that time. When we thought we were far enough a sharp left turn was to follow, that would bring us directly behind the bull. According the terrain and the bush we got a sight of him only when we were some 20 m away. Trackers and Rhino guys remained at the background when Gordon gave me a sign to follow him silently. We came to some 15 m to the still bedded buffalo that was taking a nap (he leaned his left horn on the branch). It was a strange position that made think that he was dead. I had to ask Gordon twice if he is sure that buffalo is still alive. He was sure and now even I could see the shallow moving of his chest when breathing. There was a lonely Oxpecker sitting on his back watching us getting into position. Bird didn’t give a single sound to warn his carrier.

- First we must make him stand up so he would present us his status both on condition and trophy.
- If the trophy would be good, if his condition status was bad or if he would charge us we will have to shoot him.
- If trophy would be bad, and his status not to be concerned about and of course if he would run away we will let him go.
- If we had to shoot him and trophy would be bad, the hunt will continue in search for another trophy bull.

Gordon asked me if I am ready. After wiping my sweaty palms against my shorts (my mouth were dry I couldn’t spit a drop and the heart was up there somewhere in the throat and the heat -o-boy the heat become cold), I wrap up the sling around my right hand (I am lefty), cocked the rifle and gave him affirmative answer. I left all my thoughts go and just went with a flow.

Gordon whistled quietly, bull raised his head, still looking into the wind – away from us. Then Gordon shouted loudly – nothing just a couple of nods bull did with his ears. Gordon picked up short stick and knocked with it on his rifle barrel – same result – flapping ears. Huh this tense waiting was exhausting and I could feel something was about to brake if nothing happens very fast. Last try – Gordon throw the stick over the bull – it landed a meter or so in front of him.

That does it. Bull raised slowly with his front legs first and hind ones were to follow – with difficulty – there was something really wrong with that guy. My cross in the scope (Docter 1-4x24 – set to 2) was bouncing around the shoulder joint trying to steady on that magic triangle – awaiting any decision Gordon would make. No pause in the action - raising of the giant with simultaneous turn of the head to the right (putting two and two together – he spotted us right away) was followed by a fluent 270 degree turn to the right and he was – huh – coming!!! Head raised – stunning view I will never forget – his eyes were on both sides of his nose (sun was right behind our backs and I remember every small detail there – those eyes - big brown with an arrow like horizontal pupil fixed on us – like you owe him some money someone said, but there was something more IMO – no words for it) – upper lip rolled up – exposing the front teeth in the lower jaw. It was like in slow motion – no grunt no sound – he just slowly became bigger and bigger. Gordon’s: “Shoot him!†came like deliverance, with Pierre’s voice from one of Saed’s video clips whispering in my brain: “Under the nose†the cross simultaneously landed under the chin, followed by a sweet soft kick in my left shoulder – didn’t actually expect much out of this with my 9,3 – but I was wrong – flawlessly pulling and pushing the bolt I was watching the shot took effect - bull took it hard – head and whole torso rotating down to the left – nose hitting the ground – down on his front knees with hind legs still trying to push him ahead – exposing his right flank to us – Gordon’s shot came in like from a big distance (boy was I happy he is there) hitting the bull high on his back putting his hind end to the ground. But the head and those eyes were coming back up again – “Shoot him again!†was all I remember and with bull raised on his front legs – the cross spontaneously found the shoulder – neck joint and there was again that sweet, sweet push on the shoulder – that knocked the last will to fight out of the guy – the beast was laying down with his head still up, but the eyes weren’t there anymore – he was looking away from us to our left– down to the watering hole and beyond to mopane woods of Senuko he once roamed…

He was A Trophy and we were both carried away with how things developed – I just can not top it – no way – being one lucky SOB ending my first Nyati hunt like this – someone wrote somewhere - there is always something with your first buffalo.

He had some bed injuries on his back – near the tail, on the knees and on the heels of the hind legs. But the biggest surprise came when the skinners cleaned the skull.

There was an 10 inches long and ½ inch thick stick imbedded in the skull just where the horns join the skull on the lower left side. The stick must have been there for some time (couple of years – note the hole is app 1 inch in diameter) and that is why his left horn is so nicely polished – he rubbed his left horn over and over again just to get the damn thing out. One can also see the path of the bullet coming from left to right.

Some stats:

- Shots fired: 4 (No1: 9,3 NF solid flat point (copper like) – hitting him in the left lower jaw – continuing to the neck – bullet is still to be found – must have ended somewhere in the lower neck-breast vertebras, No2: 375 H&H Woodleigh solid 300gr. entering in the neck – back joint exiting high bellow the spine in the middle ribs, No3: 9,3 Bridger soild (changed) - going through the shoulder joint above the heart - found in the spine, No4: Bridger solid (changed) entering behind the eye passing through the head – bit quartering – found under the hide below the horn).

The initial bullet broke the jaw just in front of the teeth and continued – yet to be found.

Penetration on those Bridger solids (changed) was a bit fishy – they are long, they did bend – and shooting was close from an 20 inch barrel with (I guess) app 2100 fps – maybe someone with more ballistics knowledge might have an explanation. Tho they did the job.

How ever – after all the congratulations, trophy pictures, embarking the buffalo on a tractor trailer – we called it a day – went to the lodge to pick up some stockpile get into Gordon/Glenn’s house and get ourselves “beer-wiserâ€.

In the afternoon a storm graze us on the north-west – poured the dry land with some drops – change was on its way.

Eland

Well feeling some kind of empty but on the other hand more relaxed, we set our sights on finding a decent eland bull. We were driving around checking immense numbers of different plains game,

Those elands found to be quite difficult – they were shy and spooky like hell – even taking a picture of them (out of the car) was an achievement. All I ended with was a couple of long legs disappearing in the bush,

We saw quite some numbers of them, but they were all cows. We also got some cold front 2 days there – with temperatures dropping down to 11 C – 52 K with pouring rains – even game didn’t like it. So with 2 days of hunting left, we decided that the spectrum of the hunted animals should be broaden, so we add the wildebeest, warthog and impala on the menu.

One the last but one day of the hunt we were cruising around looking for an eland, checking impalas for a trophy – we found one that might be decent. We took of on a short stalk after impalas that were grazing away from us into a grassy bush – Gordon put me on an anthill from which I took a quartering shot on a big guy disappearing into bush.

Bullet (RWS TUG soft) entered at the hind leg, break the thighbone went all the way to the opposite front leg and was found in the windpipe.

We had some failed stalks on wildebeests and warthogs. But at the dawn of our last hunting day, we were just out driving, when the snapping of the fingers reported a sighting – eland – bull - 300 m ahead! Gordon checked the guy through the binos and said to the trackers: “Futi!†Which means rifle. Eland was disappearing into the bush. We (Gordon, Katchana, Joshua and me) set on his tracks, while Kasirai remained in the vehicle. Gordon advised me to use a Bridger solid (changed) for the eland – so be it.

We followed the bull for an hour or so, when we found that he joined the herds of wildebeest and zebras. Soon after that we catch them. They knew that there is something out there and they were quite nervous – wildebeests snorting and zebras stomping – with eland keeping them between himself and us. But he did a mistake – he positioned himself in a bush keeping an eye on his trail. We spotted him app. 180 m away, peeking in our direction with just a part of the shoulder and neck exposed quartering our way – with zebras on the left and wildebeest on our right we couldn’t raised ourselves so Gordon found a hole in the bush and ask me if I can take a shot – with a rest on his back. I needed some time to pick myself together – at first glance I thought it would be no way – cross in the scope was all around – after all tho eland is quite big a distance of 180 m is not to be taken easy with 4x magnification assuming it was our last day. So I pulled myself together lean on Gordon’s back put a cross on eland neck-shoulder joint and let the bullet go. At the hit the bull jumped back and took off with zebras. We waited for a minute or so and got to the place he was standing. We found deep prints of his hoofs on the spot he was shot. And there nearby first blood. Shooting him with Bridger solid (changed) I was expecting a long tracking. But he made just 80 m with good blood spoor - and there he was – big – giant - dead already when we reached him. Bullet went in on the neck – exiting right behind the opposite shoulder – cutting the veins above his hart. Impressive noble animal, taken with impressive work of a tiny bullet.

So at the end it was all over. Long drive back to Harare ended like it has began – a great bunch of people in a “Williams Pubâ€. Met Don Heath there and he just reminded us that it was a good moment to drink some “Scud beer†that will leave some smell of Africa in my nostrils – and he was right!

I spent a day in Ljubljana in the early 80s. Beautiful city, I was really surprize at how modern everthing was. We were staying at Lake Bled at an old hotel that was equally nice with wonderful service.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
Nyati the warrior

Some stats:

Eland

I spent a day in Ljubljana once in the 80's. a beautiful modern city with lots of history. We ere staying at Lake Bled at an old hotel with great service. Wonderful Trip.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Mouse, where did you run onto NF and Bridgers? Those Bridgers appear to be 300 grain 9.3's, which is long for caliber, resulting in bending (we would not know that without experimenting and people like you reporting), consequently the consensus seems to be that brass solids should be about 10% lighter than a standard lead core solid to keep the bullet length appropriate for caliber.

...I got them from a friend in Zim (look under the picture of the cartridges in first post Wink ) - results were recorded when I came back to Harare and (I guess) allready forwarded to the manufacturer...

P.S. I guess you are right with consensus.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

Went back and took another look at those Bridger's –the only thing that actually bent was cone shaped point, while the cylindrical part remained straight. Probably cone shaped point bent when hitting the bone at angle. So to avoid that – without reducing initial weight of the bullet, maybe it would be OK if the cone shaped point would serve just for a smooth feeding, while when bullet would struck the target it would simply fall off or disintegrate – letting the cylindrical part (~90% weight) to do the job?
Any thoughts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a great writer Mr. Mouse! Excellent hunt my good man!! I'm hoping to begin my first in a couple of years.
Of course I'll be taking my 9.3x64 & 416 Rigby.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graet story!

Thanks for sharing. Nice to see a 9.3 in action too!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Actually it wasn’t supposed to be a story, but just a report – put it up in 8 hrs or so. I tried to be neutral, so anybody could draw his own conclusions out of it. How ever – got carried away on occasions – story is almost written now – should be good reading, will se what to do with it.

There is always so much more going on “behind the scenes†on every safari – so I decide to put some more up.

Save is known to have some of the biggest Baobab trees – here is one (not the biggest but still impressive):

Regarding Senuko camp is a top notch one can easily forget that there is a real wild out there. In the beginning I was quite careless walking around the camp at nights and barefoot in the cottage, till one morning when there was a Puffadder bedded between the rocks just 0,5 m from the path to the dining cottage (it was just on the night after I shot my buff and after some celebrations going on I wasn’t really paying much of attention on my paths).

Also when that cold front moved in there were scorpions crawling around (they were looking for a higher ground from rains). There are two main species – bigger, flat brown ones (app. 20 cm long) that really look scary but bite as an wasp, and smaller black ones (app 8 cm long) with thick tail – their bite will put you in hospital. Since that I was using my torch regularly – sorry no pic.

On more occasions, at the end of the day we ended on one of the kopjes overlooking Lowveld, watching sun go down. Those were The moments – tired - sipping in the Africa at its finest, no big words just talking sparingly feeding attachments amongst. The “genius loci†is just too powerful and words are so puny…

Just some additional thoughts – using 9,3 I didn’t actually feel being undergunned, but it will always be a mystery to me if I would use anything bigger on that charging buffalo initial shot, would it be one shot story?

I took some 600+ photos (that was a task by itself) but missed to take so many more – reminder for next trip – make photos of anything and everything all of the time. Back at home I was going through the photos I noticed this old cow Eeker - bedded down one…

Oh and forgive me but just couldn’t help myself ...:

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt! Nice trophies and entertaining story... Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
dancing trophies are here - 7 months and 11 days after my hunt - it gives you shivers when you open the crate and touch them:

- cargo 31 kg - 1300$ at my door:...sterling service by Shaangan Hunters till the end thumb

P.S. Forgot to mention in my report - Zim visa for Slovenians is 100$ (exotics all the way Wink )

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Super buff, hunt, and picts. thanks

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mouse,

Congratulations on the hunt, the trophies, and the memories.

And especially, congrats on receiving your tropies in record time ! I hunted the Save in November 2005 with Brooklands, and am still waiting on the trophies. It makes all the difference in the world when the outfitter does his own dip/pack, as it sounds like Shangaan did.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse

Very well-written story and great photos. Your words took me through the bush with you. Good shooting on that charging Buff. Hell of a way to get your first Buffalo. Congratulations!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote