ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Nyati rhapsody in Save Conservancy with Shangaan Hunters
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nyati rhapsody in Save Conservancy with Shangaan Hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulation on your exellent hunt ( + Report )
Where are you from Slovenia ?!

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Great discription of the buffalo charge. You made it easy to imagine the details. Very exciting.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Mouse - Great story. Joshua was on both of my hunts with Gordon & Glenn, and I've hunted with Katchana once.

Did you notice how the other trackers (as good as they are) turned to him when things got tough? The others were great trackers, but apparently Katchana is legendary.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Congrats,

Awesome hunt and pictures.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi Mouse

Absolutly fantastic report.

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys. Mboga biga bwana I come frome Ljubljana that is capital of Slovenia.

quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Mouse - Great story. Joshua was on both of my hunts with Gordon & Glenn, and I've hunted with Katchana once.

Did you notice how the other trackers (as good as they are) turned to him when things got tough? The others were great trackers, but apparently Katchana is legendary.

Smiler you bet - Kasirai and Joshua are Shona (I believe) and Katchana is a Shangaan - If I remember correctly Katchana used to track people at times - and when one client asked how it is to track people - he said it is quite easy since they are so dumb Big Grin...yes both Joshua and Katchana are top notch trackers and Kasirai is very talented and certanly above what to be expected from a tracker of his age.

One of the guys (I bet it was Katchana) did a small knot on the tails of all the animals that I shot - I couldn't caught one in the act no matter how much I tried - knot on the tail release the spirits from the animal...

P.S. One more thing - those guys have incredible eye for a detail - on the first day I made my own micro arangement with things in the cruiser (camera, binoculars, kamelback, water, coffee...) and on the second day things were aranged by the guys just the same as I left them the day before (cruiser is emptied every evening)

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was a great hunt and report. The SAVE is an interesting place.

Nice photos too. I especially like the last one with your dog. Any photos of the giraffe on his wounded side?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Thanks - sorry just a close up:

one of us
posted Hide Post
That had to hurt!

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Hum – may be so – tho he was in a good condition and that wound didn’t obstruct him in any way at that moment - we saw him again some days later when we were on buffalo tracks and - o boy - was he going. He was a real big old giant – I am not into hunting giraffe but if I will ever be, that kind of animal would be a perfect candidate for a quarry. Giraffes (as other game in the Save) are quite tolerant when you approach with vehicle (it is obvious that they haven’t been shot at from one), but once you get off the cruiser ... Razzer

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Mouse,
So what caliber and bullet for your next Buffalo Safari?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Hey Adam,

Well, I am kind a guy that hates to have something that I cant give a full use to – I emptied my gun case of all the guns I used for hunting, except R93 with two barrels (9,3x62 and 8x68S – that 8 mm barrel still gives me headaches tho Roll Eyes - I haven’t put it in use since 9,3 came along).
I was tempted in buying a barrel in 416 Rem - but to put it at work only for a week every 2 years or so, just kicked the idea out of the window. 375 H&H is too close to make a significant difference (nevertheless I could get another trophy fee instead) so it will be 9,3 cal with all the precautions it takes – the chambering is still in question since I got an offer for a Merkel in 9,3x74R I just couldn’t pass (someone thinks I might be a good investment Smiler ). Double should be here in 2 weeks by now and I plan to give it a full hunting opportunity here this fall and winter and then I will make a choice. If Merkel, it will be used with open sights.

Bullets – softs – range 270 – 293gr TUG, CDP, TSX, A-frame – will see.
Solids – I guess I wont be after ele – yet - so after those long - heavy for cal. monolithic results by Bridgers in 9,3x62, I plan to use GS FN - 265 gr. and push them ~2400+ in 9,3x62 or ~ 2300+ in 9,3x74R – will see how they regulate with softs and barrels.