THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM 50 CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  50 Caliber BMG Forum    2005 - White tail taken with .50BMG rifle
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 - White tail taken with .50BMG rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gabriel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500MagMan:
If I use a .500 Smith and Wesson Mag on White Tailes in Minnesota dose that make me a bad person no, Yes it is "over kill" but so is useing a .300 Rem Ultra Mag like people do in this state.

One thing I do belive in is that I do not like to let a animal suffer so I like to disbach the animal as quick as possibal so then I could say a .500 S&W Mag is not over kill.

I have shot 2 deer with it and they dont go any whare but down now the old reliable 30/30 I like to use the deer I have shot the one that has gone down the closest to me was 50 yards.

I know the .50 BMG is a way above a .500 S&W mag in power, but I have to say that if a state alows a 50 BMG to be used for hunting well then some one some whaere in that state is going to use it becouse it is alowd. Minnesota alows the 50 bmg, most ranges in Minnesota dont...

Don't forget, not all MN can use rifles for deer hunting!

Survival of the fittest? That's just natural selection.

Posts: 117 | Location: ND/United States | Registered: 14 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pathetic, no respect for your game, (how long did it take you to walk those 700 plus yards and figure out it needed a finishing shot?)No respect for your weapon or your own limitations.

I retired after 22 years in the service(SF)and have used the 5o bmg on people and material, even with an enemy who would kill me I wouldn't take a lousy shot in someone's ass and then think I did great.

Put a picture over the target if you want to live out some cool sniper idea you got from a movie but when you pull that trigger something is going to die, that demands respect on both ends of the rifle.You have absolutely no discipline.

This may sound harsh and I meant it to be, I came to this forum to find like minded people who enjoy mastering themselves while mastering their weapon and I find this garbage. Congratulations, you've taken a rifle that used to be able to destroy tanks in the right hands and you couldn't even make a clean kill on a small buck, bravo, you the man!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck of a first post there mate. thumb

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Practice your lousy hunting skills on paper, not on deer. This is pathetic. I missed in 2005, but am repulsed by what I see in this thread.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
missing_something
So you've seen guy's shoot a deer and leave it because it wasn't a trophy? And I would hope you reported them to the authorities? Or were they fellow 50 BMG shooters? I agree with IanF if you had properly placed the 50 cal bullet that deer would have died a quick death -instead of the painful one you created and had to finish at close range. I might add with aproper deer rifle'06! If you can't reliably hit a killing shot at 700+ yds maybe you should shoot at closer targets - oh that's right then it wouldn't be sporting for you would it!

One shot One Kill

Posts: 64 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 08 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this thread is going still!

Time for someone else to take their .50bmg out and guthit another deer so everyone has something to complain about Big Grin

I don't think that people should make these long shots if they are not capable of it, but there are people out there doing shots like these on animals daily with 7mm, .30 cal, etc.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I'll take some heat off this guy. Once upon a time I gutshot a running deer. I'm prepared for the verbal rape this guy got.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way I was taught, if you could put every shot, every time, under field conditions, that was your max range, be it 100yds or 1K.

I shoot a lot a longer range and don't see a problem with 700 yd shot. We shoot PD at that range alot. However any hit on PD is a kill.

I like that you at least pointed out to people that one sec flight time. The only way you can shoot at long range is to shoot at long range.

We have a shoot every once and a while.

Limes at 300
Lemons at 400
Oranges at 500
Grapefruit at 600
Cantalope at 700
Mini water
melons at 800
Watermelon at 900
Pumpkins at 1k

Five of each
No more than ten shots allowed.
Ranging shots count as part of ten.
Ties are broken by using grapes at 200yds
most in a row.
No litter to pick up a critters take care of that.

With a 50 though, you may need to back up aways.

Posts: 63 | Location: C. Falls Montana | Registered: 16 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
If you haven't wounded an animal before or made a bad hit on one, you haven't been hunting very long

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While you should admit to your bad shots/hits and yes it happens. It not something you brag about. You may post as a caution to others, that at 500+, sometimes things go wrong. Sometimes you may even have make a long followup shot. Or a long search for wounded deer.
But if you take the shot, don't assume you missed if animal runs off, go make sure you missed, then follow up if bad hit.
Just my $.02 RC

Posts: 63 | Location: C. Falls Montana | Registered: 16 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
If you haven't wounded an animal before or made a bad hit on one, you haven't been hunting very long

Quite true. And it should also serve as a caution...

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PJS50
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert_in_mt:
The way I was taught, if you could put every shot, every time, under field conditions, that was your max range, be it 100yds or 1K.

I shoot a lot a longer range and don't see a problem with 700 yd shot. We shoot PD at that range alot. However any hit on PD is a kill.

I like that you at least pointed out to people that one sec flight time. The only way you can shoot at long range is to shoot at long range.

We have a shoot every once and a while.

Limes at 300
Lemons at 400
Oranges at 500
Grapefruit at 600
Cantalope at 700
Mini water
melons at 800
Watermelon at 900
Pumpkins at 1k

Five of each
No more than ten shots allowed.
Ranging shots count as part of ten.
Ties are broken by using grapes at 200yds
most in a row.
No litter to pick up a critters take care of that.

With a 50 though, you may need to back up aways.

I like the way you think AND practice Robert... At my shooting club we have an Easter Egg shoot every Easter Morning and I have won that one in one, and sometimes 2, of the 3 different ways to "win" that match in the past...
We shoot at the decorated Easter Eggs at 200 yards, BUT, the eggs are hanging from a 12" to 18" long threads/strings and the eggs are hung underneath a target frame that is about 18 inches wide. So, as soon as the first egg is hit, the rest of them are usually "swinging" to some degree... I have won this match with as few as 9 rounds using my Remington PSS LTR rifle (.308). To do this, one literally has to anticipate the "swing" of the target egg and time of bullet flight, to hit the egg at swing "apogee". The other way you can win this match is by sheer speed. Guys bring out really accurate AR-15's or even M1-A's and just "blast away" with 20 or 30 round loaded mags until all the eggs are gone... The third way to win a prize in this match is with the "prettiest decorated eggs"....
I've been the first to finish and the finisher with the least number of rounds fired (even BOTH of these one year!) but I've never had the prettiest eggs... LOL...
Like you said, the critters do the cleanup for you...

Pat

Posts: 177 | Location: MI. | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I've never had the prettiest eggs... LOL...

Well gentlemen, very nice read and truly enjoyed the concepts .... I have enjoyed gourds at 550 but like your ideas better .... if anyone is opposed to long range hunting ++++ when you consider "time" consider the wait for an arrow to travel even at short distances . I am proud of my Antelope at 700+ and all the practice and patience that was required. Best target shot was spraycan of paint at 1800 - too bad it was not where I was aiming ... that was a 16X24" plate 12" away at 10 o'clock thanx again LRB

posted Hide Post
Need to keep this one going. I want to video a hog hunt with a AR50. BOOM

Will hunt for food....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by morton3:

Ian, A point of order ! A weapon is something one uses to defend or offend ones self with.

A firearm or rifle is what one uses to hunt with !

We all need to remember this & get away from the weapon name tag.

Just my thoughts
Regards Morton

Morton my Marsupial friend - you are quite right. I didn't think long and hard on the semantics when I posted waay back then - my error. Smiler

Now - a couple years later, I still have difficulty with the perception of an anti material device being lumped under the same header as my Drilling.

Somehow 'Weapon' still seems the correct term when dealing with a 50cal 'Anti Tank' gun!

Rgds Ian Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian, A point of order ! A weapon is something one uses to defend or offend ones self with.

A firearm or rifle is what one uses to hunt with !

We all need to remember this & get away from the weapon name tag.

Just my thoughts
Regards Morton[/QUOTE]

Morton my Marsupial friend - you are quite right. I didn't think long and hard on the semantics when I posted waay back then - my error. Smiler

Now - a couple years later, I still have difficulty with the perception of an anti material device being lumped under the same header as my Drilling.

Somehow 'Weapon' still seems the correct term when dealing with a 50cal 'Anti Tank' gun!

just my thoughts!

Rgds Ian Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My own personal limit for healthy uninjured game is 400 yds beyond that no shooting but if the animal is a cripple then I will continue to shoot as long as it is safe to do so in order to reduce the animal to possession.
It is not that I can't connect at longer range but that too many things can go wrong or if you prefer too many things have to go right , wind blowing in a different direction at the halfway mark, mirage or the animal taking a step all these things can happen.
I prefer to save the shots out past 1/4 mile range for varmints or paper targets.
Not trying to beat you up but I just don't like the trend of long range hunting when your substituting ballistics for stalking skill.

Posts: 152 | Location: Vanc.USA | Registered: 15 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morerecoilthanbrains clap

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote