New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ambidextrous Gun for CC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just took my CHL class in Texas and am sending in my application. I have a gov't model 1911 which I want to carry in the car, and am looking for a good, smaller gun to carry on my person. Since I am left handed ambidextrous controls (at least a safety) are a must. Any ideas? I've seen the S&W M&P and the Stoeger Cougar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger P944 has safety on right side...

http://www.ruger.com/products/p944/index.html

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
How about any revolver? A 3" gp100 is a great choice in MHO.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In NV, you can qualify with one revolver and carry any revolver you want. Automatics are different. If you qualify with a Colt M1911-A1, you cannot carry a Springfield Armory M1911-A1. Gotta be a Colt-- any Colt M1911-A1 (s/n does not matter). Strange, I know. But at least our state allows it. Those poor bastards in Cook County, IL have to just stand there and be raped, robbed or murdered...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Any striker fired pistol should suit you. There are typically no active safeties, just grab hold and pull the trigger. The SA XD does have the grip safetly ala the 1911. The slide drop is on the left side though.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
springfield emp .40 is what my wife carries i carry a colt defender but like the emp the best the emp comes in either with an ambi safty and u can flip the magazine release i read in the directions how but havent had to do it .

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
An interesting pistol with both ambidextrous safety and magazine release is the CZ 82. In 9mm Makarov and with Fiochi Ammo, it gives 275 ft lb of energy as opposed to 190 for a 380ACP. Still less than 9mm Luger or 45 acp, but much easier to carry. It is also quite accurate with a barrel fixed to the frame. Cost is only about $210 at several places.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
CZ82 next to a Taurus 945

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kahr Arms make nice CCW handguns in several renditions and calibers. A long, smooth double action trigger pull and no external safeties and slim enough for inside the waistband holsters.
Best,
jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpj3:
Kahr Arms make nice CCW handguns in several renditions and calibers. A long, smooth double action trigger pull and no external safeties and slim enough for inside the waistband holsters.
Best,
jpj3

Yeah, I like the Khars. MK9 is about the same size as most 380 ACP, DOA, no "safety." The slide release, mag release are on the left.

The CZ-82 here looks a lot like a Makarov.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is great information. Thank you all for the help.

One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rick boggs:
springfield emp .40 is what my wife carries i carry a colt defender but like the emp the best the emp comes in either with an ambi safty and u can flip the magazine release i read in the directions how but havent had to do it .

+1

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote