THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Why my friend carry's a gun(45 Kimber!)NEW AND IMPROVED VERSION!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Guys,this is a good friend of mines story that took place last night(Feb 12th) near his home in Colorado! Larry has been to Africa with me back in 07 as he video 'd my Safari. A interesting story which points out WHY we cant let "them" take away our right to bear arms (and protect ourselves!)....I hope you see my point! Tom
PS.He can video your hunts and has been doing it for over 25 years and has done work for National Geo and many more programs!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: DAQRIDUDE@aol.com
Sent: 2/13/2010 2:45:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: THE REASON I CARRY A GUN

Our dog, a giant Alaskan Malamute named Simba, is now 9 years old, which is a fairly old age for a giant breed. He quite often needs to be walked late at night before we turn in, to avoid needing to get up at 3:00 AM to do the dirty deed.

At 11:30 this evening, I took Simba out for his walk down by the creek, just as I always do. We live next to a beautiful park, in an affluent part of Lone Tree, Colorado, a suburb of Denver. To look at the neighborhood, you wouldn't think twice about taking a nice moonlight walk in the park...but you would be mistaken, and it just might be your last mistake.

Since Obamanomics kicked in, a great many of the families living in the neighborhood across the park, lost their jobs and consequently their homes. The place has filled with transients and drug dealers, and a couple of cop friends tell me that they are busting a crack house or two every week. Quite often, we can hear gunfire in the middle of the night. Sure enough, the next day we hear that someone was shot the night before. So, it has gotten to be a rough neighborhood around here.

There is a bridge across the little stream that separates us from the park, and it is just about 200 yards from our front door. Simba likes to go down by the bridge to do his business. There are a few very dim lights along the sidewalk that leads to the bridge, but there are lots of bushes and dark shadows along the creek bank so I always take a tactical light with me when we go for our walks at night.

Well, we made it to the bridge, without incident, but I could tell that something had Simba upset, and he kept checking out the bushes. Then, I heard the unmistakable sound of a heavy footstep and a breaking twig. I spun around and flicked on my light, but all I saw was the movement of the bushes. I knew someone was there, so I called out to them and told them I knew they were there.

Just a couple of seconds went by before a rough-looking young man exited from the bushes almost directly in front of me, carrying an aluminum bat. I had my tactical light directly in his eyes, so he couldn't see the Kimber Custom Shop .45 auto on my belt. Then another one exited the bushes to my left and slightly to my rear, effectively cutting off my retreat. He was also carrying a bat. Then a third person revealed himself to my immediate right, and he had a fair sized knife in his hand. They obviously weren't there for a social visit. They were only about 20 feet away from me, and I have a bad ankle and can't run — and I'm not the kind to run away, anyway. I just turned 60 in December, so I'm sure these young thugs were emboldened by the thought that I would be easy pickins. When they started to advance, I squared off, preparing to defend myself. That's when the thug to my right saw the Kimber .45 auto on my hip and yelled, "he's got a gun!"

THEN I THOUGHT,OH SHIT, WHAT NOW bewildered,SO I REFERRED TO THE AR FORUM AND ASKED ALL THE EXPERTS THERE WHAT TO DO?(ON MY HANDY BLACKBERRY) AND W/O HESITATION,THEY ALL SAID,SHOOT THE DIRTY SOB'S, SO I BLASTED THEM ALL TO SMITHERINES WITH MY TRUSTY KIMBER!BOOM, clap MAN,I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW Wink!....AND NOW THAT I HAVE RID THIS CRUEL PLANET OF ALL THAT SCUM,I THINK I WILL GO TO DISNEYWORLD beer animal (WARNING;KIDS,DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!)

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good story. Glad it turned out like it did. There sure are plenty of thugs to go around.

Mad Mad Mad

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Wonder how many times a week a mugging or murder or robbery is prevented because the perps saw that the intended victim "had a gun"?

These things are seldom reported to news or police organizations, so statistics would be impossible to know, but I bet it's a bunch.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
I seem to remember God kickin a few butts from time to time in the Bible. I don't think He expects less of me.

Very well said.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a bit confused. It is 11:30 at night in Colorado. Presumably it is rather cold to say the least, but one of the "bad guys" saw his Kimber, and the other one didn't because he had a flashlight shining in his eyes. Was the gun concealed? Was the jacket pulled back after the first sound and dog alert?
Just asking! Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad he didn't have to pop at least one of them. The world would be just that much nicer...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
He didn't get hurt because they turned tail first, he would have been hurt to some degree at that distance before and if he could have "cleared leather" as they say.
Still a perfect example of why we should all carry at all times. Once again, just the presence of the firearm stopped what could have been an ugly situation.

Just an opinion of course

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since Obamanomics kicked in, a great many of the families living in the neighborhood across the park, lost their jobs and consequently their homes.

The collapse of the housing market is caused by deregulation of financial markets beginning with Ronald Reagan. Yeah, I'll concede that Clinton era "get them into an house w/ no money down" didn't help, but the deregulation that made that sort of finance possible came out of Ronald Reagan.

Current recession started in 2006, when Geo. Bush 43 was Pres.

HomeBoy likes to shoot first and "teach them a lesson." I can't believe he's never been arrested.

I had a car pull into my roadside "camp" -- where I'd parked the truck in a gravel pit to spend the night. The car was intent upon boosting my cooler, a frat-boy prank that generally nets free beer and food.

I sat up in the back of the truck, racked a 1911.

"He's awake and he has a gun!" -- and they drove on down the highway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He should have drawn his pistol and shot the guy with the guy with the knife as soon as he saw the knife. If the guy with the knife was really only 20 ft. away that is way too close.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And what was that mangey mutt doing all the while? Squatting with half a turd hanging out his ass?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I saw a naked blade in that situation the person holding it would be the suprised owner of a brand new double tap center mass.

Police doctrine is that someone within 7yards with a blade constitutes a threat, so there really isn't any excuse for NOT shooting.

I just wonder why the gun was still in his belt after the first noise in the bushes.

The noise might have been a fast moving four legged agressor which wouldn't understand a threat....

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its is easy to say I would have shot or he should have shot the bad guys. It seems to me it work out fine.

No matter how justified you are you are going to spend lots of time and money. If you drop the hammer on someone.

The 21 foot rule isn't written in stone as far as shooting someone with a edge weapon or other weapon the needs to make contact. Just dropping the hammer on someone that has a edge weapon or impact weapon that is with in 21 feet could get you into lots of trouble. One better beable to explain and be justified when you did so.

I can come up with all kinds of reasons not to shoot them. If they are clear and present threat I am going to defend myslef.

Some times it has to be done but should be avoided if possible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
p dog, wise words! I think the comments are because the story, as posted, has some inconsistencies, and so give rise to a lot of speculation. Having said that, your points are well taken.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The appearance of guys with weapons would have at least prompted pulling the pistol from the holster in my book. I also was wondering what the dog's reaction was. No criticism here, as he is home safe now.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I frequently think why didn't they shoot the dog when people are victims of surprise home invasions. If my German Shepherd (RIP) had been inside the house during a home invasion, and not met the intruder at the door after barking loudly, he'd have been the first to get shot. LOL

It is noteworthy that this is a 9 year old Malamute who needed to be walked late at night, or he could no longer make it through the night without an accident. This dog may well be mostly deaf/blind/arthritic at this late stage of life, and thus didn't know to react or wasn't physically capable of doing much of anything. Got to agree that I'd have drawn the gun as soon as I knew the noise was caused by something with two legs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading some of the responses I've changed my mind. He should have shot all three of them. A baseball bat is just as dangerous as a knife if someone has bad intentions. It's clear that these guys had bad intentions. It doesn't make any sense to wait to see if your going to be stabbed or hit in the head with a baseball bat and then react. If it's three to one deadly force is justified anyway even if they have no weapons. At least it is in Texas. Several years ago my Daughter's apartment was burglerized while she was at work and she was scared to stay there anymore. I gave her a pistol and told her if someone broke into her apartment to shoot them until the pistol was empty. She said she wasn't sure she could shoot another person. I explained that if they broke into her apartment they were there to either rob her, rape her or kill her. Maybe all three. You don't wait around to find out what their intentions are. She moved back home for a while and nothing ever happened.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Lindsey is a KNOWN BSer! Willing to embellish any 'imagined' confrontation'! Roll Eyes

You've got two 'witnesses' here...... Larry.... and his dog!

He should have caught the incident on video!

Did he report this encounter to the police? Big Grin

bsflag

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I thought the scum was going to keep the much in the PF? Too much to ask to live up to your own requests?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
I thought the scum was going to keep the much in the PF? Too much to ask to live up to your own requests?

Danny Boy this is just BS..... plain and simple! Posted right here.....not on PF! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
still felt the need to go back and remove your special signature though eh? glad to see you realize when you've acted in poor taste.

Whether or not this story is true, and I've no inclination that it isn't, the exercise of discussing what we view as the proper course is the point. Shit does happen. I've damned sure wished I had a gun when I didn't, and was glad I had a gun when I did. The scenario proposed here absolutely COULD happen, so what's the point of your fussin'?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danny, this probably didn't happen. But it makes a nice scary scenario..... doesn't it?!!! Wink

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
Danny, this probably didn't happen. But it makes a nice scary scenario..... doesn't it?!!! Wink

Hey DuhhMan,Why do you have to be so negative,abused as a child?(or still one?)...I see your kissn up to Daniel now after he told you a thing or two...hmmmm....Look pal,Larry is a good friend and that did happen,so stop your whining....is it really bothering you that much?!And,since your basically calling him a liar with your persistent negative postings,why dont you pm me your name and I will call Larry and ask him whats the deal with you anyway(you do know him,right)?.....Next,that was a email to ME and I took the liberty to post it here without asking him(my mistake) and I did it only to show fellow members that "shit does happen" to us mortals.Sure,everyone is entitled to their opinion/thoughts on this,but YOU just keep on whining like you just got to be the Know it All and knockn him as if you were in the bushes(was that you?). I changed the last paragraph with my foolish ending Just For YOU "DuhMan"...here it is,Revised again...
THEN I THOUGHT,OH SHIT, WHAT NOW ,SO I REFERRED TO THE AR FORUM AND ASKED ALL THE EXPERTS(DUHMAN) THERE WHAT TO DO?(ON MY HANDY BLACKBERRY) AND W/O HESITATION,DUHMAN SAID,SHOOT THE DIRTY SOB'S, SO I BLASTED THEM ALL TO SMITHERINES WITH MY TRUSTY KIMBER!, MAN,I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW !....AND NOW THAT I HAVE RID THIS CRUEL PLANET OF ALL THAT SCUM,I THINK I WILL GO TO DISNEYWORLD THANKYOU DUHMAN!

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
quote:

Hey DuhhMan,Why do you have to be so negative,abused as a child?(or still one?)...I see your kissn up to Daniel now after he told you a thing or two...hmmmm....Look pal,Larry is a good friend and that did happen,so stop your whining....is it really bothering you that much?!And,since your basically calling him a liar with your persistent negative postings,why dont you pm me your name and I will call Larry and ask him whats the deal with you anyway(you do know him,right)?.....Next,that was a email to ME and I took the liberty to post it here without asking him(my mistake) and I did it only to show fellow members that "shit does happen" to us mortals.Sure,everyone is entitled to their opinion/thoughts on this,but YOU just keep on whining like you just got to be the Know it All and knockn him as if you were in the bushes(was that you?). I changed the last paragraph with my foolish ending Just For YOU "DuhMan"...here it is,Revised again...
THEN I THOUGHT,OH SHIT, WHAT NOW ,SO I REFERRED TO THE AR FORUM AND ASKED ALL THE EXPERTS(DUHMAN) THERE WHAT TO DO?(ON MY HANDY BLACKBERRY) AND W/O HESITATION,DUHMAN SAID,SHOOT THE DIRTY SOB'S, SO I BLASTED THEM ALL TO SMITHERINES WITH MY TRUSTY KIMBER!, MAN,I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW !....AND NOW THAT I HAVE RID THIS CRUEL PLANET OF ALL THAT SCUM,I THINK I WILL GO TO DISNEYWORLD THANKYOU DUHMAN!

Big Grin dancing

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by OXO:
quote:

Response: Current recession started in 2006, when Democrats had control of both the House and Senate, and were in control of all committee chairmanships. Dems were driving policy, just like they are now.

I do agree with one Democrat, Evan Bayh of Indiana, when he says we need to throw the incumbants out at this next election.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The collapse of the housing market is caused by deregulation of financial markets beginning with Ronald Reagan. Yeah, I'll concede that Clinton era "get them into an house w/ no money down" didn't help, but the deregulation that made that sort of finance possible came out of Ronald Reagan.

Yes, but it was certainly made far worse by Obama and his merry band of thugs in Congress i.e. Barney Frank and Chris Dod through Fannie and Freddy.

So, to blame Reagen and Bush without blaming Obama is not only wrong, is a blant lie!

HomeBoy likes to shoot first and "teach them a lesson." I can't believe he's never been arrested.

I had a car pull into my roadside "camp" -- where I'd parked the truck in a gravel pit to spend the night. The car was intent upon boosting my cooler, a frat-boy prank that generally nets free beer and food.

I sat up in the back of the truck, racked a 1911.

"He's awake and he has a gun!" -- and they drove on down the highway.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 3110 | Location: NJ, MN, MT | Registered: 30 December 2009
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see your kissn up to Daniel now after he told you a thing or two...hmmmm....!

WTF you talking about, Tommy?!!!! bewildered

I called BS .... and I still call BS!

If you want to spread BS,..... it's on YOU, my Louisiana cracker buddy! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
DUH Man,you replied 4 days ago to my reply and your BS and name calling,now 4 days later,you come back again with more name calling?! A lil slow on the draw there,heh Masked Man?What happened,the light came on?
I stand for my friend when You start your idiotic bashing,Totally Uncalled For! AND,what I posted above did happen last week,except for the revised last paragraph,that was put there for your "entertainment" The only BS here is whats coming from your keyboard(and Again,how do YOU know so much,were you there "pal"?!And you NEVER Did tell me your name so I can ask Larry WTF is your deal with him,since you "seem" to know him and call him a Liar....You really need to stop your childish behavior and beating this dead horse and go elsewhere if your going to Misbehave like this.This was Not put here so you can do your name calling from some dark dusty closet!
Yep,I am a Louisiana Cracker and proud of it patriot(Where were You Hatched?) Big Grin
quote:
quote:
I see your kissn up to Daniel now after he told you a thing or two...hmmmm....!

WTF you talking about, Tommy?!!!! bewildered

I called BS .... and I still call BS!

If you want to spread BS,..... it's on YOU, my Louisiana cracker buddy! Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Closed at SafariKid's request.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001