Zoo sells antelope to hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Zoo sells antelope to hunter
4:00AM Tuesday Sep 01, 2009
By Kathy Marks

From The New Zealand Herald

A public zoo has sold endangered antelope to a member of a party lobbying for the right to set up game reserves for commercial trophy hunting.

Last month the NSW Environment Minister, Carmel Tebbutt, said a contract between Taronga Western Plains Zoo and Bob McComb, of the Shooters Party, stipulated the 24 blackbuck antelope would be used only for breeding.

However a Freedom of Information application by Greens MP Lee Rhiannon has revealed the contract stated the zoo accepted no responsibility for the animals after they left.

Rhiannon accused Tebbutt and the zoo of misleading the public.

The Shooters Party has a bill before Parliament which would allow private game reserves to be set up for safari hunters and permit hunters to shoot native animals in national parks.

McComb acquired the antelope over the past three years, paying $200-$370 a head - less than half their value.

Tebbutt has ordered a report into the zoo's animal trade, which it has been forced to suspend. The report will consider what further animal welfare protections should be put in place.

A zoo spokeswoman said: "The zoo is at its heart dedicated to animal welfare. There is no history of mistreatment of animals that have been transferred from its care."

But she acknowledged it had been incorrectly stated that the contract said the antelope would only be for breeding.

McComb said he bought the antelope to breed them but he did not rule out hunting them in future. The zoo said it received a personal assurance that they would never be shot for sport.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9391 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
The Greenies would rather them all be "euthanized" than that any might get hunted in the future.
If the blackbuck could volunteer to get out of the zoo and go to the ranch, they all would. Wink

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
If they are selling off......I may be able to get that pet monkey I've always wanted clap

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7984 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Just come to Texas, we've got thousands of the little buggers running around. They're quite fun to watch, almost like little impala or springbok the way the bound around.

Maybe someone could point out how well the endangered blackbuck is doing in Texas were they are actively hunted.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Lee Rhiannon is one of the most prominent members of the lunatic fringe in Australia - she hates anything and everything even remotely related to guns, hunting, fishing, etc. and will say anything to try and get her twisted views forced upon the people of Australia.

quote:
Rhiannon accused Tebbutt and the zoo of misleading the public.
- this is almost laughable as Rhiannon has built an entire career from misleading the public and the following statement:
quote:
and permit hunters to shoot native animals in national parks.

- is clear evidence of that. The Shooters Party bill is to allow suitably licensed hunters to shoot FERAL animals in National Parks NOT native animals. Rhiannon and her allies, such as the RSPCA, have been inventing a huge lie that, if the bill is passed, everything in the parks, whether native animals or bushwalkers, will be shot on sight by hunters. This woman is a menace to society.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote