Tools

Getting trophies back from England
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any Suggestions
How should I go about this
Muntjac and Water Deer

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi ,we will cape and deliver your trophies to a taxidermist for either dip and pack or mounting them and then use an export agent to send to an agent of your choice in the USA to clear them and send to you or your taxidermist.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
If the trophies are skull mounts (prepared there) have you considered just bringing them back yourself on another trip? I brought back my moose antlers from Sweden that way and cleared them myself through customs.

I posted about my experience here:
Importing moose antlers from Sweden to USA

Jeff

Posts: 679 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

What mounts / parts are you looking to take back ? And dip ship or mounted ?

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
With deer ( skulls ) I don’t think you need anything

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took 3 roe deer in England last year & brought the horns and skulls back with me on the plane. My outfitter boiled the skulls and prepared a letter stating as much. I had zero issues with customs in Atlanta and the agent did not want to see what I was bringing back. The outfitter's letter stating the skulls had been boiled & cleaned from all flesh was enough to satisfy the customs agent.

Posts: 475 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent several months researching this and here is what I found out. Granted this is for just skulls and antlers. If you want mounts that would be different.

You can hand carry them back but if you want to do it properly it is not practical because you need to make arrangements to meet with Customs, US Fish and Wildlife and the Department of Agriculture.

So, I decided to ship mine. I spent several months calling all the of agencies involved and the process is fairly straight forward. In a nutshell there are three agencies involved and this is what they are looking for:

US Customs – Wants to confirm that you have declared the item properly, then they will send it on the US Fish and Wildlife.

US Fish and Wildlife – Wants to confirm that what you are importing is legal to bring into the US, you had the proper licenses to take the animal, and is not on the protected and endangered list, then will send you on to USDA. They will want to see an letter from the outfitter stating what the species is and that you were allowed to take the animal (a proforma invoice is what is usually used)

US Department of Agriculture – Wants to make sure that the Trophies, have been properly cleaned and are disease free. (This can be a statement on the proforma invoice from the outfitter, or this can be a letter from a taxidermist)

There are services that you can hire to handle the import and paperwork, but I chose to do it myself (using my shipper as broker) because I did all the research. And I am cheap

I have done this twice, both shipments of 3-4 large Red Stag Skulls/Horns with no issues.

If you want to bring more than just horns, it gets much more complicated.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gathered some information,figured
What to do or have done. It is my understanding that Chinese Water Deer
if not cared for quickly have a tendency to
have hair slippages. Salting as quick as possible will help but not known until hides are tanned.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also was advised to try to pick up a few extra Chinese Water Deer capes just in case

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blaser93:
Gathered some information,figured
What to do or have done. It is my understanding that Chinese Water Deer
if not cared for quickly have a tendency to
have hair slippages. Salting as quick as possible will help but not known until hides are tanned.

The hair is very long and "loose" - when the bullet hits you get a huge spray of hair.

If you wanted a decent cape my guess is you'd need to get it off and in the freezer within a few hours. Very few people here salt capes.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That what I was advised

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
How do you keep it frozen from the UK to the US, then through customs,etc, and onward to final destination?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
How do you keep it frozen from the UK to the US, then through customs,etc, and onward to final destination?

You can’t travel with frozen skins legally so they need to be tanned and sent over. Or mounted here and sent over. Whatever way they need go through a export/ import agent and fish and game.

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote