THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Yesterday was a simple yet great evening !

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yesterday was a simple yet great evening !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Started off late afternoon when I picked up a used Leupold VX-3 1,5-5x20 scope on eGun, a German hunting / shooting internet auction site. I max bid EUR 253,- and picked it up at EUR 223,-, so I was pleased with that. I am going to mount it on a German made Cape gun in 8x57irs /16 bore that I recently purchased. That should be fun for driven hunts as well as pigs at night with night vision attached.

Then at 19:15 I set off in my Landy 110 with my Springer bitch to try for a badger or a pig in our concession near the German / Dutch border.

Got there at 20:00. 4 degrees c and inky dark! Spotted 2 sows with 4-5 piglets on a mustard field straight away, but the hoglets were still small and we don't shoot nursing / leading sows here in Germany, so it was a short walk to a bait site and a "Kanzel", where I sat the next three hours.

Had some roe come in to feed. The bucks have / are shedding their antlers and have put on their thick winter coats. Then a sounder of pigs appeared in the trees, standing like statues for some 30 minutes, but never came in. The wind shifted and the deer spooked and went away barking which set the pigs off.

A big winter badger then came in on the left side bait. I waited a few minutes and then I took her with the Blaser R8 shooting 55 grs RWS .223 soft points to the shoulder. She went some 5 meters and dropped. A big old girl, in her thick winter coat and a heavy layer of fat. She dressed out at 14 kgs! Will make a nice skin and skull to remember the evening by.

We have a lot of badgers in our 900 h concession, I would guess we have some 20 plus on the trail cams. I shoot one a year as does my youngest son. A couple of the others that hunt with me shoot one each as well. So we take maybe 4 or 5 in total a year. More than sustainable.

Walking back to the Landrover I spotted a young fox on a beet field and took a free-hand shot but overshot and away the fox went at speed. I will get it at the weekend!

I was home by 23:00 enjoying a cold Pale Ale with a happy Springer asleep in her basket!

Life is good!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Charlie,
I enjoy your tales of hunting on your concession. That's a great thing to have and it seems a productive holding. Thanks for the report. Cheers.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2020 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Appreciate you sharing these inspiring stories, Charlie! Thank you

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 679 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Charlie - You’re one of the better story tellers on AR. Thanks for sharing…and get to work on a book.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

quote:
posted 25 November 2022 02:21
Charlie - You’re one of the better story tellers on AR. Thanks for sharing…and get to work on a book.

That made me smile! Thank you !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote