WALTER'S OWN

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Kills - The Bullet's Kinetic Energy or Momentum?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought today would be a good day to resolve this issue. Maybe Walter can put it all in the proper perspective? Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Niether what kills is bullets I've never tried to shoot kinetic enery or momentum out of my gun. Any way have you seen the price of momentum and kinetic energy its outragious i`ll stick to bullets and the animals I shoot will keep dieing

God loves you

Posts: 107 | Location: sumner, wa | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kills? Pneumothorax,blood loss or tissue damage.

Posts: 10011 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Location.....

I am ashamed to say as a younger man I killed more than I should have with a .22LR 40 grn solids through the lungs

I was rough on turkeys too

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
What kills? Pneumothorax,blood loss or tissue damage.

Don't forget CNS damage.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Momentum is the first derivative of KE.
Like Love and Marriage, and Horse and carriage,
"You can't have one without the other"

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Energy doesn't kill game, people do!

Fight energy controls!

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exanguination.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Actually it's day light that kills. Put a big hole in the critter, let day light in and the critter dies.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
Actually it's day light that kills. Put a big hole in the critter, let day light in and the critter dies.

Jim

yuck jumping animal

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:

Jim

yuck jumping animal

I don't think it's funny. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that arkypete's analysis is closer to the truth than most theories I've heard. I'm sure that it correlates MUCH better with actual experience than energy or momentum.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jim

Sooooo when shot at night nothing dies until next morning?
Apperently scandinavian wild pigs don't know that rule Wink

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
quote:

Jim

No, still works, moon light is reflected sun light. And star light is sun light from a far away sun.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
quote:

Jim

It may have to do with moon phases. Big Grin

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
What about an overcast night? Actually it's a failure of the pnuematic/hydraulic system.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neither. It's actually the noise. That's why a 600 NE kills so much better than a 22lr.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually what "kills" is when the Brain is rendered dead.

This can happen if the brain is destroyed.

Or if the Brain does not get enough blood.

Or if the Brain does not get enough oxygen.

The man or beast, can be knocked down, or stunned..., but the "life form" is not dead until he brain is dead.

SO, unless the Brain is hit, the quicker the bullet causes disruption to the Brain, the quicker Death will be.

In many circumstances the immediate cestation of hostilties [ICH] is more important than death. Still, rapid blood pressure loss, leads to rapid ICH.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Actually what "kills" is when the Brain is rendered dead.

This can happen if the brain is destroyed.

Or if the Brain does not get enough blood.

Or if the Brain does not get enough oxygen.

The man or beast, can be knocked down, or stunned..., but the "life form" is not dead until he brain is dead.

SO, unless the Brain is hit, the quicker the bullet causes disruption to the Brain, the quicker Death will be.

In many circumstances the immediate cestation of hostilties [ICH] is more important than death. Still, rapid blood pressure loss, leads to rapid ICH.

Then how do you explain all the women walking around??????

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always look at the fact it is imperative for the bullet to make a hole, in order for it to do it's job. Big Grin No hole, no KIll.

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Women and poloticians? Or women politicians? A double whammy!

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
OK fellows, the Navy SEALs proved my theory that allowing day light into the critter is what kills. The SEALS opened up OBLs head to allow enlightenment in and he died. Truth most always hurts the recipient.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The HOLE kills.