THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Dakota Arms to be Auctioned Off Wednesday
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota Arms to be Auctioned Off Wednesday Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of Dakota's assets are for sale to the highest bidder or bidders. Not just the name. I looked at the opportunity, interseting but the timing is poor for me. The company isn't nearly as large as one would suspect.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
proof that the model 70 can't perfected for less than 6k per rifle....

NOT kidding

here was yet another golden opprotunity for a model 70 clone maker to BECOME "the " model 70 maker.. and missed...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39564 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the model 70 can finally be relegated to the scrap heap.

bring back the original mausers in all 3 sizes and have a real rifle

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Are you guys sure about this crap. I guess I am out 5K I am supposed to take delivery in march> I am going to call tomorrow and find out what the hell is going on I was told that even thought they filed Chapter eleven that they would produce product under court supervision for 18 months. With all deposits being held in escrow. I guess they layed the old BS on pretty thick. Serves me right I guess I should have asked for my money back last august. If you guys hear anything concrete please post it.

thanks

JP

Posts: 55 | Location: California | Registered: 21 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
What everyone seems to ignore is the fact that our sport, passion and pastime is dying. The passing of Dakota is but part of a global trend.

Simply put how many of our current large scale sporting arms manufacturers are boasting spectacular and growing financial wealth?
sad but true

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftondrus:

bring back the original mausers in all 3 sizes and have a real rifle

Not quite yet...
The Kimber Caprivi

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not at an estimated base price of $3200. That's what killed Dakota. The blurb you posted doesn't even mention walnut as the stocking wood.

I think I will side with Tomo here, build us Mauser 98's in FOUR! sizes. One with a four inch ID box and an .800 bolt face, that will hold four down in 505 Gibbs.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
not at an estimated base price of $3200. That's what killed Dakota. The blurb you posted doesn't even mention walnut as the stocking wood.

I think I will side with Tomo here, build us Mauser 98's in FOUR! sizes. One with a four inch ID box and an .800 bolt face, that will hold four down in 505 Gibbs.

Rich
DRSS

Lack of sales was not the problem, they had plenty enough people willing to pay the price for a high end rifle. Decreased quality control, customer service, and excessive spending (i.e. Safaris, Magazines, additional business units etc...) is what got them in trouble. If Don Allen had tride to produce their original level of quality at a price point that competed with Rugerbey and Remchester, it would have never even made it on the map. I am sure I will get hammered for this statement, but I am personally sick of hearing people who pay bargain basement prices for guns (CZ, Remington, etc...) and bitch about the quality, and then slam the high end guys (Dakota, Echols, etc...) for charging to much. When you buy cheap you get what you pay for, just not what you wanted.

Posts: 18 | Location: Upper US | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
proof that the model 70 can't perfected for less than 6k per rifle....

NOT kidding

here was yet another golden opprotunity for a model 70 clone maker to BECOME "the " model 70 maker.. and missed...

I think Kimber is trying very hard - though I don't think it's actually a clone.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CB B,

that's not actually true, at least not completely.
Esthetics suffered, fit and finish mostly, and the sales have been down every year since 2004. This is not speculation on my part, but based on several discussions with one of the "wheels" in the shop.
Hein and MRC and AHR became Dakota's competition, and I suggest you check their pricing structures out.

Rich
DRSS

Redlander: I owned a Kimber BGR89 in 505 Gibbs for awhile. Tell them to just dust off the blueprints and build that rifle.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:

Mr. Johnson could you please stand up.

(cannon report) KABOOM!!!!!!!!

Mr. Johnson is dissintegrated by an artillary shell.

Thank you Mr. Johnson

Who is Mr. Johnson?
Wouldn't Charlie Kokesh be the better artillery target?

Things going downhill since 2004, eh?
Did Charlie Kokesh become CEO in 2003 or 2004?

When did the "Yuppie Investors" buy Dakota from Norma Allen, 2003/2004?

Don Allen passed when? 2003
He was the founding president of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. Founded Dakota Arms in 1986:
http://www.legacy.com/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=1039918

The .395 Tatanka, by Satterlee Arms, is a Lakota homage to Don Allen and the old Dakota Arms. RIP

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:

Mr. Johnson could you please stand up.

(cannon report) KABOOM!!!!!!!!

Mr. Johnson is dissintegrated by an artillary shell.

Thank you Mr. Johnson

Who is Mr. Johnson?

It's from one of Monte Python's skit's. Stu was just joking how Tomo577 got blasted. I was following with more Python. Terribly sorry.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1859 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftondrus:

Boy, you'll go a long way in establishing your credibility here with that "profundity."
The Model 70 action as originaly designed by Winchester and with correct magazine geometry is arguably the best of the bolt actions aout there. I'm glad makers like Hein are building on the 70's attributes. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gunmaker,
Thanks. Need to get Monty Python back together. Charlie Kokesh could play the part of Mr. Johnson in that skit. Charlie needs work. He would be good at the "Lumberjack Song" too.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RIP:
Founded dakota Arms in 1986.
RIP[QUOTE]
I'm not sure the date, but Pete Grisel built the first Dakota in Oregon Before Don & Norma got involved. Left handed 280 I think. After moving everything to Sturgis, It didn't take long for Pete & Norma to butt heads and Pete sold his half of the company. I wish I had a chance to work for Pete. I'm sure it would be a completely different story today if Grisel bought out the Allens. I'd bet Dakota would be making money & keeping HAPPY return customers.... stir

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1859 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhhhh, I'm a CEO and I'm OK...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett:
Ohhhhhhh, I'm a CEO and I'm OK...

Just O.K.? That ain't good enough in some situations.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPaul:
Are you guys sure about this crap. I guess I am out 5K I am supposed to take delivery in march> I am going to call tomorrow and find out what the hell is going on I was told that even thought they filed Chapter eleven that they would produce product under court supervision for 18 months. With all deposits being held in escrow. I guess they layed the old BS on pretty thick. Serves me right I guess I should have asked for my money back last august. If you guys hear anything concrete please post it.

thanks

JP

JP, let us know how it turns out for you.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Dakota goes out of business, I'll bet the price tag on used Dakota's will go through the roof. The number 10's especially. In any case, its sad to see what is problably the best mass produced rifle ever made in the US go south.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well it is 11:00 pm in the east and no word here of what happened to dakota.

was the big auction today..... or next wednesday ?

staying tuned for the latest updates

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dakota never really built their shotguns. they were made in italy by a firm that they never did pay !

so much for the integrity of current owners / managers of the ill fated dakota.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FROM THE SHOOTING WIRE

Yesterday was the final day for potential buyers to submit bids for the assets of Dakota Arms. The rifle maker is set for public auction February 26, with a judge to hold a hearing to consider approval of the scheduled sale to the auction winner. On July 10, 2006, Dakota filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, pledging to continue to manufacture and sell their precision rifles.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The fat lady sings Wednesday Feb.28. If you have looked at a LOT of 76's somethings have improved a lot, very little has went down hill. There is still a lot of pride put in the making of every Dakota

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to Nesika's Rep. Richard Spruill yesterday and he told me they will be a separate Company next Wedesday 2-28-07.. They will be Operating and on Sound Footing..
Also, Am I wrong.. I'm told FN is still selling Model 70 actions.. Two gunsmiths I know asked me how many I wanted..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
Talked to Nesika's Rep. Richard Spruill yesterday and he told me they will be a separate Company next Wedesday 2-28-07.. They will be Operating and on Sound Footing..
Also, Am I wrong.. I'm told FN is still selling Model 70 actions.. Two gunsmiths I know asked me how many I wanted..
AK

Where can these Winchester actions be ordered from?? I am in for lots of 10.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the gun rags published an article on this last month. Short actions are still being made by another company licensed to do so but I forget the specifics.
Maybe someone else can chime in?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Boy, you'll go a long way in establishing your credibility here with that "profundity."
The Model 70 action as originaly designed by Winchester and with correct magazine geometry is arguably the best of the bolt actions aout there.

+1 Thanks Jorge. I was about to post something a little more vocal myself....20, 19, 18, 17, 16.......

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
AK

All of Nesika's assets are owned by Dakota Arms Inc and are included in the bankruptcy auction. I have no idea how the auction will conclude but certainly Mr. Spruill doesn't either. To say with certainty how any of the Dakota companies will look on Feb 28 is absurd at this point. I do wish them the best though.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, Dakota's failure was due to a poor business strategy that was a very simple ignorance on their part.

The problem was simply their philosophy: The Dakota Way or the Highway, customer preference be damned."

One example: They would not build a Dakota African rifle with synthetic stock only, but would offer a synthetic stock as an $800 add-on after the required $8000 charges for the walnut stocked rifle.

And suddenly there are better options for the discriminating rifleman who is not a Dakota sycophant, or those who will pay for quality, but do not like being overcharged for crap.

And of course the extension of THE DAKOTA WAY into a conglomeration of peripheral businesses just sucked black ink out of the bottom line.

Just not enough suckers for Dakota to sustain itself.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
AK

All of Nesika's assets are owned by Dakota Arms Inc and are included in the bankruptcy auction. I have no idea how the auction will conclude but certainly Mr. Spruill doesn't either. To say with certainty how any of the Dakota companies will look on Feb 28 is absurd at this point. I do wish them the best though.

Could be they regain the rights to manufacture in the event of a default. And theoretically, they have some degree of cash from the original sale to gear up production. We'll see soon enough, I guess.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakota should have thought more about the investment value of their company stock rather than of their walnut stocks.

More of THE DAKOTA WAY.
Treat investors the same way as customers. Like mushrooms to be picked in the dark from the manure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never owned a Dakota and for good reason. The price point didn't scare people away. It was the fact that for the same $ you could buy a hell of a lot more rifle than they offered. They were really not finished or fitted much better than a Kimber that cost $1000. That is why they are in BK, that and spending money like mad, every hunting show on TV had a Dakota sponsorship it seemed.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
RIP,
Please advise what type of products I may purchase from your bussiness

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by donkey:
RIP,
Please advise what type of products I may purchase from your bussiness

My actual "business" is that of prolonging human life and easing suffering. Nothing more.

I do not do "bussiness" here. Are you just being a wise guy? rotflmo

Dakota did piss me off several times so I eventually swore off Dakota, bought a SIGARMS/Prechtl/Golmatic Mauser 98 Magnum 450 Dakota, and a Dakota 76 African action from Brownells, eschewed the .423 Dakota-Lapua-Short for my own .423/.338 Lapua Magnum, built a .416 Dakota on a Winchester M70 Classic, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I get their magazine once a month. I hope that someone keeps it going I mean the Dakota Arms. I realize their rifles are expencive.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Donkey,
I see you are a new memeber with 2 posts on this thread only Wink. You are actually Charlie Kokesh and looking for some more goods to sell, right?

posted Hide Post
Yes I am new, Yes I like Dakota products. I am not Charlie Kokesh. I have met Charlie Kokesh, and I am going to assume you have met Charlie. My reference was to your post about business strategy. So the question if you were currently in business or have been?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Donkey,
I have only talked to Charlie by phone, and got nowhere, though he seemed to be affable, trying to seem friendly, he did not know some things he ought to have known, said he would get back to me, and never did. Ditto his underlings in management and sales. The guys and girls working in the production shop and parts department were very kind and helpful. Competence and service were concentrated solely on the ground floor at the Sturgis facility, but upstairs at the management and sales level, literally and figuratively, the lights were on but nobody was home.

BTW, I am academically trained with one BS degree in accounting, a business degree, which I never used except for personal edification.
What's your business?

posted Hide Post
I trained at the same institute as Darcy Echols and P.O Ackley and was taught by some of their instructors.
I have ran two business' and know the importance of proper management.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Donk,
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will be able to add a lot to the discussions. thumb

Best Regards,