New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone shoot a 400 H&H? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tell me about your 400 H&H!

Posts: 10152 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been shooting and reloading my 400H&H since 2011 Pushes a .411 dia projectile to the same velocities as a 416 Rem or Rigby... Pressures fall between the two... Like all reloading components these days times can be tough ..Bullets you can find, Qualcart has been the source for proper stamped brass but they can easily be made for 375H&H brass... like the 300H&H it feeds like a dream

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I've got one that Kevin Weaver built on a LH action. It shoots the CEB in a clover leaf with Varget.
I also have North Fork, Hammer and Hornady bullets that group well. I'd use nothing but Barnes TSX, but there's still none available.
I have made brass fron 375 stuff and was able to buy some properly head stamped Roberson brass before they quit.

Posts: 9091 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Pics Scott please

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Held one at H&H London 2 weeks ago. They said they sold very few. 416s were more popular.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3042 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
Pics Scott please

I know, sorry, I'll try to get it going in the next couple days.

Posts: 9091 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is one on Reto Buehler's blog.

https://www.buehlercsa.com/

Posts: 295 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It just never had much appeal to me not anything to offer, and apparently that was the general opinion of the masses. Seems to me it was fitting to those who wanted something that nobody else had. It was a decent enough caliber, we had the .416 Rem and Rigby. My experience with one 400 was filing in a set of iron sights on one with worked up loads. BOOM

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Instead of creating the 400 H&H and 465 H&H, in my opinion, they should have legitimized the 404-375 H&H wildcat and the 470 Capstick putting their H&H moniker on them

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
And if they shortened the neck a tad they could have made it fit an unmodified Mauser.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t we call it a 404 Jeffery short?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If brass is hard to find I have a lot of 300 H&H, all WW I think, I would sell it at a good price. New brass loaded and empty, Id have to check, Ive had several years, never fired.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
Pics Scott please

I know, sorry, I'll try to get it going in the next couple days.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qc5IHGg

https://imgur.com/gallery/Pn8mJ4l

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Nice mate. Good to see the bolt is on the correct side. That looks like a mostly original Zastava, but I assume rebarreled and also a modified bolt handle?

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
Nice mate. Good to see the bolt is on the correct side. That looks like a mostly original Zastava, but I assume rebarreled and also a modified bolt handle?

I think a Dakota bolt, Timney trigger, Wisner model 70 safety, bedded and crossbolts, NECG iron sights. Yes, rebarreled from a 375 H&H and the barrel band sling swivel.

I got it out just now to head to the range and fire form some more brass, (punishing,) and noticed it still had the factory Zastava recoil pad. faint No wonder it's punishing.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think a Dakota bolt, Timney trigger, Wisner model 70 safety, bedded and crossbolts, NECG iron sights. Yes, rebarreled from a 375 H&H and the barrel band sling swivel.

I got it out just now to head to the range and fire form some more brass, (punishing,) and noticed it still had the factory Zastava recoil pad. faint No wonder it's punishing.

Some nice specs there. I suspect the whole factory stock is not doing you any favours for a cartridge that I feel would otherwise be decently comfortable to shoot. I have several LH Zastavas, including a 416 Rem, but all have been restocked.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
quote:

Some nice specs there. I suspect the whole factory stock is not doing you any favours for a cartridge that I feel would otherwise be decently comfortable to shoot. I have several LH Zastavas, including a 416 Rem, but all have been restocked.

I've got some plastic stock stuff and I guess it's ok, but I would like to have and keep some wood stock stuff. I have a Zastava 6.5 Swede a friend here on AR worked over and sold me, the "remodel he did on the factory stock is quite nice I think.

Do you have suggestions? American wood stock makers do some wonderful work but it gets out of my budget quickly.

I pummeled myself thru a few fireform rounds earlier today, the rifle cloverleaf's 400grain hornadays.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have a 10,3x68 RWS Blaser R8.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Instead of creating the 400 H&H and 465 H&H, in my opinion, they should have legitimized the 404-375 H&H wildcat and the 470 Capstick putting their H&H moniker on them

Bingo!

Or the 375HH necked up to .411” no shoulder AKA 400 Karamojo

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did see a 400 H&H rifle in the rack at Hollands shooting grounds in Northwoods when I shot clays there in December 2022, but I did not ask to handle it.

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
This one I inherited from my father after he passed. Left handed action, built off a Montana 99 (not the best). It was the ACGG application piece for the gunmaker, which got him in. However, I am not left handed...

Posts: 603 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Thats a nice looking rifle, despite the Montana action. And I am left handed tu2

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That stock is sexier than Margot Robbie on her best day.

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would switch to shooting lefty if I had the piece of art....

Posts: 10152 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got one that Kevin Weaver built on a LH action. It shoots the CEB in a clover leaf with Varget.
I also have North Fork, Hammer and Hornady bullets that group well. I'd use nothing but Barnes TSX, but there's still none available.
I have made brass fron 375 stuff and was able to buy some properly head stamped Roberson brass before they quit.

**All of my properly head stamped 400 brass came form Qual Cart..
** Barnes makes a .411 dia 300gr bullet great for elk
** There are .411 dia 400gr Barnes bullets floating around out there... Barnes was originally going to do all of the prelim SAAMI work but backed out for some reason I have 100 pieces in a bag on a shelf waiting for the right moment

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I would switch to shooting lefty if I had the piece of art....

I would chop my right arm off to shoot that