Notify
Tools

458 winchester magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nikon 1-4x24mm M-TAC is sweet.
Clicks of 1/2 MOA work as advertised.

The 25" Shilen barrel is fast.
About 50 fps faster than the 24-7/8" CZ barrel.
I am stuck on Shilen for .458 Win barrels now.

Alderella Shilen Ruger:
At 55 degrees F today,
MV for 5 shots was 2527 fps for the 400-grain HV.
Standard deviation for 5 shots was 1 fps.
dancing
The 5-yard chrono velocity was 2515.4 fps average for 5 shots:

I will use this load in any .458 WIN, 3.4" box, 3.6" box, 3.8" box.
I am glad I do not have to experiment anymore with the GSC HV 400-grainer.
I am tight with these bullets.
I will load them all up in once-fired brass, and go hunting, with my remaining supply.
And order some more of them.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty McGee, GUNSMITH, is my enabler:

COL of 3.395" works fine through the Ruger MkII magazine box.
Now to see if Shilen will make a stainless no.4 sporter contour of .458-caliber, 1:14" twist,
to put on a CZ 550 Magnum, or a Winchester M70 Classic.
I might even go as short as 24".
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Thanks for that tutorial and advice, RIP. I do have a large vice and if I can find a little cup or plate to prevent bullets getting chequered noses, will try that first.

You need to support that bullet in a .459" Lee sizer die, with a pusher rod in both ends of the die.
Then squeeze both pusher rods simultaneously with the vise or arbor press.

Or push the bullet into flush with base of die, then
take the pusher rod and insert it into the top of the die
then squeeze the base of the die and the pusher rod at other end of the die, in a vise or arbor press.
Then push the bullet on out the top of the die with your press.

$30 Lee die.
Just squashing the bullets, unsupported, in the jaws of a vise, not so good.
Then you will need a sizer die for sure.
tu2
Rip ...

Thanks again, RIP. As you see, my knowledge of these things is a bit basic but I realise now that the lead must go somewhere.

I'll have to get some of those dies. Meanwhile my Bubba side is wondering if I might assemble a column of washers to use as a jig, and file some off Smiler

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Due mostly to the amazing .458 WIN throat,
but also to the HV bullet,
I think my 400-grainer at 2527 fps is generating well under 60,000 psi.
I hope to get an ideal day at the range (no wind) to test accuracy better.

The quality of the bullet is the most important factor in accuracy.
All the other factors come after that, including the wind and the nut behind the trigger.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... wondering if I might assemble a column of washers to use as a jig, and file some off Smiler

Hey, there you go, if you don't mind losing a little bullet weight.
That is a way to speed up the MV and lower the pressure of the load for same powder charge.
A homemade trim die for flat-nosing lead bullets with a file.
Just be sure to wear disposable vinyl or rubber gloves, wash your hands after filing, and/or don't eat or smoke any lead filings.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Good advice, RIP.
Having worked in newspapers in the time of 'hot metal', it's a wonder I'm still here to tell the tale.

Posts: 4959 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Due mostly to the amazing .458 WIN throat,
but also to the HV bullet,
I think my 400-grainer at 2527 fps is generating well under 60,000 psi.
I hope to get an ideal day at the range (no wind) to test accuracy better.

The quality of the bullet is the most important factor in accuracy.
All the other factors come after that, including the wind and the nut behind the trigger.
tu2
Rip ...

Thanks, RIP.

It is nice to see a bullet meeting expectations.

I would agree with you. Load up those 400 gn HV to 2500fps and go hunting. No, you can't go wrong with that load. It appears wonderful.

And you will understand why I can anticipate something similar with the 330gn in .416" at 2650fps in an 8-lb. Ruger. There is something quite reliable about the GSC HV bullets, every bit as eye-opening as your 458Win throat discussions.

I'm also ordering some 245 gn .416"bullets, as they seem to penetrate beyond all expectations. The 416 Ruger should do 3125fps AND be useful for buffalo. That would translate to the 315gnHV at 2800fps in the 458, should you want to put GSC's words and theory to the test. (Gerard would suggest 3150fps and Varget in the 460, for those wanting 'light'!)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a repository of info about the GSC HV bullet anywhere for medium to big bore? I'm interested in expansion and penetration numbers/photos at various velocities in game and/or various test media. Also, how would these bullets compare performance-wise to North Fork SP? I'm becoming intrigued, having never used the HV...

Posts: 118 | Location: SC | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
JFE,

Thanks for ringing THE MISSION bell.
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
RIP, your take on H&H throating is interesting.

And it is undeniable that "coning up" was a practice of H&H, to help an old BP rifle that they built, to make the transition to Cordite.

This begs the question, would narrowing the 458's stock throat to start at say 0.460" instead of 0.469" be an improvement?

No. Then you would have to stick to short-nosed bullets like with the CIP .404 Jeffery.
Or you would have to add some parallel-sided free-bore of .001" greater than groove diameter before you started the leade tapering into the bore diameter
That is the route that most modern cartridges have taken.
I did the same to my .404 Jeffery: Added about 0.300" length of PSFB.

Why was 0.469" selected in the first place? Was it simply originally a typo and it was really meant to be 0.459" or 0.460"?

See above.
I used to think the .458 WIN throat was excessively long and shockingly wide at the start of its gradually tapering leade.
No more!
It works.
It lets off pressure, effectively increases case capacity. That is the purpose of free-bore.
And there are no accuracy problems with jacketed and monometal bullets.
Elmer Keith bragged in print about how accurate his .458 WIN rifles were, without exception.
That gradual and long leade just perfectly "leads" the bullets into flying straight.
The only drawback is that soft cast bullets cannot be shot as fast in the long throat as in a short throat, as they will skid in the rifling.
You just have to use heavy lead bullets, sized to 0.460" and keep them down to 1400 fps.
They grab the rifling and spin without smearing if you do that.
Perfectly suitable for bettering the old Sharps buffalo rifles.
For cape buffalo, the 400-grain HV at 2500 fps could hardly be improved upon.
For elephant braining, a 450-grain brass or copper FN at 2350-2400 fps could hardly be improved upon.
If you are old school and want to use 500-grainers at 2200-2300 fps, that is OK, whatever bullet type and COL you like, it can be done.
You can even slow them down to 2150 fps if you want, or just use the plain vanilla, Hornady factory loads if you are not a handloader.

The .458 WIN can do it all.
The .458 WIN can hardly be improved upon.
Don't fiddle with that throat!
tu2

tu2 salute

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rusty McGee, GUNSMITH, is my enabler:

COL of 3.395" works fine through the Ruger MkII magazine box.
Now to see if Shilen will make a stainless no.4 sporter contour of .458-caliber, 1:14" twist,
to put on a CZ 550 Magnum, or a Winchester M70 Classic.
I might even go as short as 24".
tu2
Rip ...

Yup, that load / rifle/ sighting system makes Alderella a true all around rifle !
Would be a bit much for coyote. But it's better than taking a 223 to check out a noise in the yard at night and discovering an 8' grizzly at 5 yards !
Its great to see .
Friends and acquaintances wondered about my 458 Win experiments and adventures in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s.
When I got started with the 458, I was spring boarding from Phil's knowledge and experience via Handloader and Rifle magazines. And local knowledge.
The Spruce King was the culmination of that knowledge and experience.
Now your Knick Knocker is a step above the Spruce King.
Good to see your Shilen barrel is "fast" so is mine.
Not sure why, it just is.

Good job !
Biggest bodied Sitka Blacktail buck I ever shot was with the Spruce King. 350 gr Speer HotCore @ 2500 fps mv . shot was at about 100 yards . He fell where he stood. Shot was tight behind the shoulder and a couple inch under the spine.
Had a couple brown bear within 50 yards hiding in the brush when I was gutting it out and loading it onto the 4 wheeler. One of them got the gut pile before the ravens and eagles got to it . Which doesn't take long in the Neka Bay area in late October.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good advice, RIP.
Having worked in newspapers in the time of 'hot metal', it's a wonder I'm still here to tell the tale.

Paul "Sam" sambarman338,

I have abused lead for decades.
After I turned 60 y.o. I decided to get my lead level checked.
It was reported as < 1 mcg/dL.
Normal range is 0 to 9 mcg/dL.
I guess my blood level is close to the bottom of normal range: 0

That reminds me of a story told by an R&D Engineer at a large firearms and ammunition company.
Several of the engineers were working around lead and had their lead levels monitored, per OHSA, etc.
They all had nil levels too, except for one of them.
His was quite high.
He was a smoker and he fiddled with lead then fiddled with his cigarettes without washing his hands after fiddling with lead.
Either he was sucking a lot of lead from his hands and cigarette butts,
or the cigarettes were the high-octane leaded variety and he was inhaling the lead fumes. homer
I assume the guy was a chain smoker.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
It is nice to see a bullet meeting expectations.
I would agree with you.
Load up those 400 gn HV to 2500fps and go hunting.
No, you can't go wrong with that load. It appears wonderful.

THE MISSION bell rings, thanks, 416Tanzan.

When I started handloading the .458 WIN in 1985,
33 years ago, one Life of Jesus ago,
the goal was to get a fairly aerodynamic 400-grainer up to 2400 fps,
for use as an all-around, Kodiak Deer Rifle.
The best I could do was IMR-4198 with 400-grain Barnes SSSP,
a bullet built for 45-70 speeds.
Bummer came when even that bullet gave high pressure signs with IMR-4198 when it got to 2400 fps.
I succumbed to ".458 Winchester Denial."
I am now fully recovered.
New powder.
New bullet.
Exceeds the old dream.
I could do better than 2400 fps with a 20-inch barrel.
Hmm ...
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcelliott:
Is there a repository of info about the GSC HV bullet anywhere for medium to big bore? I'm interested in expansion and penetration numbers/photos at various velocities in game and/or various test media. Also, how would these bullets compare performance-wise to North Fork SP? I'm becoming intrigued, having never used the HV...

Have you tried the various websites by GS Custom.
Lessee ... first stab from memory ... see if it works

www.gscustom.co.za
www.gscustomusa.com
www.accuratereloading.com

Search around there and you will find plenty of stuff.
Used to be a picture of me with a Botswana buffalo from 2001, etc.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Yup, that load / rifle/ sighting system makes Alderella a true all around rifle !
Would be a bit much for coyote. But it's better than taking a 223 to check out a noise in the yard at night and discovering an 8' grizzly at 5 yards !
Its great to see .
Friends and acquaintances wondered about my 458 Win experiments and adventures in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s.
When I got started with the 458, I was spring boarding from Phil's knowledge and experience via Handloader and Rifle magazines. And local knowledge.
The Spruce King was the culmination of that knowledge and experience.
Now your Knick Knocker is a step above the Spruce King.
Good to see your Shilen barrel is "fast" so is mine.
Not sure why, it just is.

Good job !
Biggest bodied Sitka Blacktail buck I ever shot was with the Spruce King. 350 gr Speer HotCore @ 2500 fps mv . shot was at about 100 yards . He fell where he stood. Shot was tight behind the shoulder and a couple inch under the spine.
Had a couple brown bear within 50 yards hiding in the brush when I was gutting it out and loading it onto the 4 wheeler. One of them got the gut pile before the ravens and eagles got to it . Which doesn't take long in the Neka Bay area in late October.

Cold Trigger Finger,

What can I say, but THANK YOU!
Your Shilen-barreled Ruger Mk II Stainless SPRUCE KING
was the inspiration for my ALDER QUEEN, maiden name Alderella Shilen Ruger.
Seems to be more alders and willows than spruce on the parts of Kodiak Island that I have hunted.
I can hear Abba singing some different lyrics to the tune of "Dancing Queen" in my head ...
The song is entitled "Alder Queen" and is about "The Knik Knocker" a Big Bopper.

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Alder Queen" lyrics, sung to the tune of "Dancing Queen" by ABBA:

[Intro]

You can hunt, you can shoot,
having a good time to boot.
Ooh, see that deer, watch that scene,
Digging the Alder Queen.

[Verse I]

Kodiak and the sun is low,
Looking out for a buck or doe,
Where the bears come running to the rifle's ring,
They hear a dinner bell ding.
Anybody could be that meal,
Day is young, and the treat is real.
With a bit of Big Bopper, everything is fine,
You're in the mood for a shoot
It's sure to be a hoot.

No need for a chorus and a second versus! I can't get the tune to "Dancing Queen" out of my head.
Shades of Barney Frank!

As you were, if possible.

If the GSC HV
at 2527 fps MV
coming from the Alder Queen
is zeroed for 200 yards,
it is also dead on at 25 yards,
and only 2.5 inches high at 100 yards,
maximum ordinate of +2.6" at 125 yards.

This dog will hunt! DG or deer!
When I have bullets to burn I will go directly to 200 yards at the shootin'range, on a calm day.
No need to chronograph anymore of these in the Alder Queen.
Rifle weight is 9.0 pounds empty, built like a brick dunny.
Scoped and loaded is a maiden's caress when fired.
Threaded for brake, no brake needed.
Recoil is less than the 500-grainer at 2150 fps.
We all know anyone can handle that if they want to. (gender neutral for "inclusiveness") rotflmo
I have an 8.0 pound .458 Lott that will do well to equal this .458 WIN. The Lott might need the muzzle brake. sofa
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you look in the "terminal bullet performance" thread at the top of the big bore forum you will find a wealth of info.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Rifle weight is 9.0 pounds empty, built like a brick dunny...

Rip ...

Ah, you speak my language! Such talk would not have got far on US television, when I was a boy Smiler

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would recommend reading the data at the GSCustom.co.za website. Read up on the technical data, the loading data, and look at the testimonies in the Gallery folder (click on a picture to read the descriptions).

Here is something that Gerard mentioned when I was asking advice on some of the bullet designs:

"The 338200HV [.338" 200 grain Hollow-point driving band bullet] was designed for the 338 WinMag and works very well there. We had a PH take a herd of 52 cape buffalo (the herd was infected with anthrax) off a piece of land with that combination of cartridge and bullet. 52 Shots and 52 cape buffalo later we knew we had a bullet that works."

Well, stories like that are encouraging, but they also teach that the PH knew how to shoot, and how to shoot buffalo. 52 one-shot kills in a row is impressive, even if there were extenuating circumstances that made it easier shooting than normal hunting.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
And a PS on GSCustomUSA.
It appears that they are moving their operations from Michigan to SC and may have a delay of a couple of months in new production. But they have some stock available.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,

Thanks for ringing THE MISSION bell.
I knew the GS Custom move was on the way, I will have to pester them in transit, or wait a bit if they don't have what I want. Last I heard they are now affiliated with Chey-Tac USA.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shocking news on a Nikon, appropriate for comment by sambarman338 with his knowledge of scope construction.

This is my original Nikon SlugHunter 3-9x40mm, with over 400 rounds of .458 WIN recoil on it.
More than 1/4 of the circumference of the outer O-ring seal (with recoil buffer function too?)
in front of the objective lens housing
was hanging out in the breeze in front of the lens:

I tried tucking it back in with a soft plastic, improvised tool.
The threaded ring inside the objective bell needs to be screwed out and the O-ring replaced.
That ring might have loosened with recoil?

Makes me think that the lesser inertia of the smaller objective lenses such as 20mm and 24mm is the way to go.
Also, one might want to have a spanner tool to fit the slots in the ring to check it for tightness periodically?

Nevertheless, the scope has functioned perfectly through those +400 rounds of .458 WIN, up to and including 500-grain TSX at +2300 fps.
Chimera WinCZechster the .458 WIN is the culprit.
She weighs 8 lbs 2 oz wearing only the scope bases and a lot of epoxy filling her plastic stock forearm.
She's a scope eater.
I need to see if I have warranty coverage on the Nikon scope. Did I dot my T's and cross my eyes and retain the receipt?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a new Nikon INLINE XTR which has same kind of 40mm objective lens housing,
and the different treatment on the inside of the objective bell
(inner surface anti-reflective coating/texturing?) is visible in this view:

Why not just flat black paint on the machined interior surface like on the SlugHunter???

Maybe acoustic-muffling/sound-proofing/coating kills vibrations that can loosen scope innards and outtards? Big Grin
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the culprit:

Above is Chimera WinCZechster with her new/old scope
(Leupold 2.5x20mm)
that was previously zeroed on her for 500-grain Hornady factory ammo,
really close to the factory-claimed 2140 fps in her CZ barrel, on a Pre-'64 M70 .30-06 action.
She can take 3.375" COL through her box magazine, making her perfect for Barnes .458/300-grain TTSX at 2700 fps, + or - depending on tuning for accuracy desired.
75 grains of H4198, is maximum I have tried, for MV of 2712 fps in the CZ barrel.
I would not hesitate to work up to higher charges.
But I have no need to right now.
A certain notorious .458 WIN aficionado has used up to 78.0 grains of H4198 with 350-grain TSX (LongCOL Load) in a CZ barrel.
That would be another Kodiak Deer Load, to be added to the two below:

And another Kodiak Deer Rifle:

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a new Nikon INLINE XTR which has same kind of 40mm objective lens housing,
and the different treatment on the inside of the objective bell
(inner surface anti-reflective coating/texturing?) is visible in this view:

Why not just flat black paint on the machined interior surface like on the SlugHunter???

Maybe acoustic-muffling/sound-proofing/coating kills vibrations that can loosen scope innards and outtards? Big Grin
tu2
Rip ...

Let's just hope it stays where they put it.

On another, less-civilised forum, a member told of sending a scope for repair and that the makers mentioned clearing debris from inside.

I wondered what the debris could be, and postulated it might be brass filings from excessive knob cranking. But no, the resident guru replied, it comes from coatings flaking off inside.

When you look backwards through a scope you can sometimes see crap lying around. Strangely, once it falls there, it seems to gain a greater adhesive power than it had in its intended position.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you look backwards through a scope you can sometimes see crap lying around. Strangely, once it falls there, it seems to gain a greater adhesive power than it had in its intended position.

rotflmo

Oh, yeah!
Australian slang has been most fashionable, plumb hip, all over the USA ever since Paul Hogan made it big in those "Crocodile DUNNEE" movies.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will see how this one holds up:

Kodiak Deer Rifle.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I now have a "range card" tucked under the slip-on butt pad,
and a third piece of parachute cord anchoring the ammo carrier,
it runs across the backside of butt,
and keeps the other two cords stretched tight,
cannot slide forward in recoil.
Live and learn!

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shocking news on a Nikon, appropriate for comment by sambarman338 with his knowledge of scope construction.

This is my original Nikon SlugHunter 3-9x40mm, with over 400 rounds of .458 WIN recoil on it.
More than 1/4 of the circumference of the outer O-ring seal (with recoil buffer function too?)
in front of the objective lens housing
was hanging out in the breeze in front of the lens:

I tried tucking it back in with a soft plastic, improvised tool.
The threaded ring inside the objective bell needs to be screwed out and the O-ring replaced.
That ring might have loosened with recoil?

Makes me think that the lesser inertia of the smaller objective lenses such as 20mm and 24mm is the way to go.
Also, one might want to have a spanner tool to fit the slots in the ring to check it for tightness periodically?

Nevertheless, the scope has functioned perfectly through those +400 rounds of .458 WIN, up to and including 500-grain TSX at +2300 fps.
Chimera WinCZechster the .458 WIN is the culprit.
She weighs 8 lbs 2 oz wearing only the scope bases and a lot of epoxy filling her plastic stock forearm.
She's a scope eater.
I need to see if I have warranty coverage on the Nikon scope. Did I dot my T's and cross my eyes and retain the receipt?
tu2
Rip ...

Congratulations.

You did what they say can't be done !
(Sung to Jerry Reed's "Smokey and the Bandit: Long way to go and a short time to get there."

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Eastbound and Down"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZJej98_T0

Good one!

I must surmise that the recoil inertia of a large objective lens might loosen that screw-in ring inside the objective bell,
thus taking some compression off of the rubber O-ring between it and the objective lens or its metallic housing,
if there is another metal ring around the lens other than the scope tube body???

Thus the rubber O-ring started to leave the scope.
It was shocking to see some rubberband-like material hanging out over the lens,
wish I had taken a photo of that before I tried tucking it back in.

Still says a lot about the rest of the scope.
It was still functioning perfectly as the objective lens was not moving, yet!
Maybe the O-ring is just a seal against humidity/gas leak,
and not involved in buffering recoil forces and keeping the lens in place?
Probably.
Or could the lens loosen and shatter with the next shot?
Confused

Well, not bad for a $200 3-9x40mm scope: Over 400 rounds of .458 WIN.
That SlugHunter is retired until that O-ring is replaced.

A tool for checking the tightness of those inner rings might have prevented any problem at all.
Recoil unscrews screws.
Just like every screw in a Marlin 1895 lever-action 45-70 rifle with 400-grainers at +2000 fps.
Gotta check your screws after each shot with that one.

Now that I have used the higher power scope for accuracy testing of some loads,
it is time to move on to the 20mm and 24mm objective lenses on Nikon, Leupold, and Sightron scopes,
with proven loads.
NightForce and Trijicon are other scopes that are interesting to me, but not as great a dollar value.
They are mighty proud of themselves, but not as proud as those Austrians and Germans. Wink
One more thing to check frequently:
Tightness of screw-in ring inside front of scope ...

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
Congratulations.

You did what they say can't be done !
(Sung to Jerry Reed's "Smokey and the Bandit: Long way to go and a short time to get there."

I have the purchase receipt (09-07-2017) from the local Academy Sports & Outdoors store ($199.99)
and the warranty card matching the serial number on the SlugHunter.
This is the first time I have had to try Nikon warranty service.
Leupold Warranty did it twice before for me.
Sightron Warranty once before.
They are real, surely Nikon Warranty is too.
But Nikon is quite the stickler for original purchase documentation.
No purchasing of used Nikons and expecting warranty work. shame
Sounds like a fair enough way to do business, however.

All I want is a new O-ring and my SlugHunter back in my hands.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

holycow

Incredible game scene engraving depicting "The Great Migration."
I particularly like the vulture on the toplever.
Click below for pleasure reading about the classiest gun I have ever seen, via the photographs in this SCI article:

https://huntforever.org/2018/1..._content=Glamourguns

Patrick and Daniela Fanzoj of Johann Fanzoj have a new GLAMOR GUN described on the SCI website.

Fanzoj has created the classiest double rifle ever.
The .600 NE for "stopper" with open sights on an H&H-best-type sidelock action,
with a spare .470 NE barrels set with scope, for longer shots.
Yep, the .470 NE for long range.
The .458 WIN bolt action would be better for the long shots! Smiler
But I digress.
To ring THE MISSION bell, I have conceived a .458 NE 3" (with .458 Winchester Magnum throating of course)
for a double rifle like the Johann Fanzoj "The Great Migration" double rifle.
I would commission it if I could, with a spare set of .458/.375 NE 3" barrels,
this second wildcat being based on the first, of course, necked down,
with a mini-me throat scaled down from the .458 WIN throat.
Rim will be thick like on the .400 S. Jeffery aka .450/.400 NE 3", even thicker maybe,
not thin like on the .450 NE 3.25".
Base diameter is in the works, looking to the old "No.2 Nitro" rounds for further inspiration.
The inspirational rifle photographs follow.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
First Patrick Fanzoj confers with gunsmith about special throating of fantasy DR:

Sort of like Winchester engineers designing the .458 Winchester Magnum prior to 1956 rollout, talking about the old H&H technique of coning-up of a throat to keep pressures low and effectively increase case capacity.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the cased set.
Interesting that the scope chosen for the .470 NE varminter barrels was a Swarovski 1-6x24mm Z6i:

Swarovski 1-6x24mm Z6i
I wonder if one of those would last on a .458 WIN bolt action?
How many rounds?
I wonder how long they warranty the illuminated reticle electronics or if at all?
Sumbuddy who know?

The rifle with .600 NE barrels weighs 16 lbs.
With the barrels swapped to .470 NE it will be no lightweight.
That would go easier on the scope.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Product Discontinued by Manufacturer
Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 Illuminated Rifle Scopes has been discontinued by Swarovski and is no longer available ...

Another one bites the dust. CRYBABY
tu2
Rip ...