Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450-400 NE ballistics. About.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Old advertisements not withstanding, those are very close to the actual ballistics of the 416 Rigby when the cartridge was making its well deserved reputation.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
It depends on how it will be used. Will it penetrate well and kill well. I think yes. Is it the ultimate point blank range Stopping rifle load. No. But, a 400 gr 40 cal bullet at 2150 is very easy to shoot well. That translates into being easy to hit well with. And putting the bullet in the right spot kills game well. The 450/400 has a great reputation hunting heavy and dangerous game.
What are you shooting that gives those ballistics.
The 404 Jeffries gave that velocity but with a .423" bullet and its put the kybosh to ship loads of heavy and dangerous game.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Not to argue with my dear friend Forrest, believe this is more or less the actual FIELD ballistics of the 404 jeffery .. and just about the 450/400 ... the 416 caliber isn't a stopper, and a nice mild one would be a great hunting friend

btw, this is the realistic ballistics from a 416 taylor

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Agree with all of the above, except about the Rigby statistics.

The 416 Rigby had 2400fps as its nominal 400grain velocity. That is a significant jump in energy and flatter trajectory.

Handloaders, even Jack O'Connor with a grimace, mentioned that the case allows over 2600+fps with 400-410grain bullets.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Such a .416 would sit "neck and neck" with traditionally loaded 404 Jeffery and 450/400 ammo.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Having actually chrographed many large English caliber rifles using original Kynoch and factory ammo I have come to the conclusion that they were as generous, if not more so, with their advertised muzzle velocities than modern manufacturers. The average loads ran around 2150 fps, no matter if it was a 404, .425 WR or 505 Gibbs. And these came from original rifles with barrels as long as 26 inches. Many loads from 450/400 were only running 1900 fps!
It is probable that in extreme tropical heat they gave higher velocity but it isn't always hot and at 50 or 100 yards down range the real impact speed at the animal was 100 - 200 fps less anyway.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bal, you'll be just fine with those ballistics.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil is absolutely correct.

I will add that at those velocities I have found Woodleigh Softs and Solids to perform perfect, in every way.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that would do the job, but you can do better.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran the Woodleigh suggested load for their 450gr in my .416 Rigby, which I later found out only resulted in about 2250fps. 3 of 4 Cape Buffalo dropped to one shot and all rounds penetrated to the far side. The 4th took 2 rounds which had more to do with placement then power.

I've since stoked it up to about 2550fps with the 400gr Barnes but I doubt the game will notice any difference. Just shoots a bit flatter for those Kudu that are often a way off.

I think you will be fine and if it lets you shoot more accurately then that is more important.

Cheers

Posts: 82 | Location: Australia | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Not to argue with my dear friend Forrest, believe this is more or less the actual FIELD ballistics of the 404 jeffery .. and just about the 450/400 ... the 416 caliber isn't a stopper, and a nice mild one would be a great hunting friend

btw, this is the realistic ballistics from a 416 taylor

My 2 shortish barrel 416 Taylor's maxed out at 2300+2350 fps with 400 gr bullets but I backed them down to around 2200 fps with 400 grainers for meat hunting. With a 24-26" barrels. They seem to be able to get 2400 fps with the 400 gr.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as usefulness on dg can't really see any difference between a 416 bullet and a. 411 or .423 bullet of the same weight at the same speed.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
It depends on how it will be used. Will it penetrate well and kill well. I think yes. Is it the ultimate point blank range Stopping rifle load. No. But, a 400 gr 40 cal bullet at 2150 is very easy to shoot well. That translates into being easy to hit well with. And putting the bullet in the right spot kills game well. The 450/400 has a great reputation hunting heavy and dangerous game.
What are you shooting that gives those ballistics.
The 404 Jeffries gave that velocity but with a .423" bullet and its put the kybosh to ship loads of heavy and dangerous game.

Sorry to take so long to answer your question,while my primary hunting guns are mostly double rifles,lately I am also enjoying lever action rifles,specifically the win 1886 & 71,I am planning on getting a conversion done on the last 71 that I bought recently,it is currently a 348 win,I am interested in rebarreling it to a 416-348 improved,this has been done before,if all my info is correct,it should be a sweet shooting gun,& I will hunt Africa with it.
I have hunted buff with a 416 cal 410 gr bullet @ 2350 before,worked real well for me,the reduced recoil & a magazine full of rounds should make this an effective weapon.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have hunted buff with a 416 cal 410 gr bullet @ 2350 before,worked real well for me,the reduced recoil & a magazine full of rounds should make this an effective weapon.

Heck Yeah!!! clap

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as usefulness on dg can't really see any difference between a 416 bullet and a. 411 or .423 bullet of the same weight at the same speed.

My 425 Express w/350X @ 2250 would almost always exit on brown bears, raking shots included!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all the flat nose bullets available today you would have lots of bullets available.
What method will u use to keep the mag tube in place in recoil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With all the flat nose bullets available today you would have lots of bullets available.

Jim , that would be a nice easy shooting load. The guy I gave my last 416 Taylor to , uses the 350 gr Speer and TSX @ 2300-2350 fps and says it just dumps big bears. I always ran them 100 fps faster in the Taylor. But Thats just me. :-{

one of us
posted Hide Post
[
Jim , that would be a nice easy shooting load. The guy I gave my last 416 Taylor to , uses the 350 gr Speer and TSX @ 2300-2350 fps and says it just dumps big bears. I always ran them 100 fps faster in the Taylor. But Thats just me. :-{[/QUOTE]

I run them at 2450 also they work very well at that speed

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
[
Jim , that would be a nice easy shooting load. The guy I gave my last 416 Taylor to , uses the 350 gr Speer and TSX @ 2300-2350 fps and says it just dumps big bears. I always ran them 100 fps faster in the Taylor. But Thats just me. :-{

I run them at 2450 also they work very well at that speed[/QUOTE]

I ran my at 2350 fps for years until I got my brisket opened up, seeing as the rifle started as a 30-05 fwt it was pretty light. I toned the last loading down to get from getting booted so hard until my bones healed up. I sold it 3 yrs ago and now use and Old Ugly clone with 450gr Northforks about 2i50 fps. The Mauser stock is a little more user friendly than the 70 was.

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 404J built over the winter using a heavily tweaked VZ-24. I am shooting Barnes 400gr TSX FB and BNS Solids from its' 24 1/4" barrel using 80gr of VIT N550 with the TSX and 83gr with the Solid. Right at 2375 with the TSX and about 2435 with the Solid if my old Oehler M35P is correct. At 100yds the Solid is about an inch higher than the TSX. At 200 they make one 4-shot group about 2 1/2". The magazine will hold three down, and I can close the bolt on a fourth.

Both 416 Rigbys I have owned (Ruger & CZ) would shoot 400/410's about that fast and about that group size.

I'd be confident taking on anything with either cartridge loaded to those specs.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:

That will depend on how the mag tube is attached presently to the reciever,my gunsmith will make that determination,I have seen barrel bands on some & others just screwed into a dove tail in the barrel,I will get a new barrel installed,raising the weight of the gun to at least 9 lbs,which should also help with the recoil,making it a little easier on the mag tube.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run my 26" 416 Taylor ~2400 fs with 400 gr bullets and ~2500 fs with 350's, both with RL15. I want to try CFE223 sometime this year, QL has some nice numbers for that powder, a bit better than RL-15.

As far as a "stopping" rifle goes, I think that falls into the "where the bullet is placed" category, but I would MUCH rather have a 50 cal/600 gr, than a 411-416 cal/400 gr...NOT trying to get the old argument going...I think there are a lot more things going on than just bullet weight/size when it comes to stopping a muffed shot bent on having you on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ran my at 2350 fps for years until I got my brisket opened up, seeing as the rifle started as a 30-05 fwt it was pretty light. I toned the last loading

I got wacked hard on my first shot I then weighed it and added 1.5lbs of lead shot and glass bedding to bring the weight up 10lbs on the head slinged, scoped and loaded.

Shoots just fine now.

Some people like recoil I don't

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some people like recoil I don't

Not as much as I used to for sure!

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
I say go for it I will back you up with my .577NE single.
Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill73
For hunting in THE USA with a Mod 71 I would prefer a .458 bore...

However if I was going to use the 71 in Africa for Elephant, I would go with the 416/348 improved.

Try to find the Wolf Publishing Company book,BIG BORE RIFLES and CARTRIDGES.
It has excellent articles on the 348 Winchester Ackley Improved, 416 Alaskan, 416-348 Improved, and the 450 Alaskan.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:
I say go for it I will back you up with my .577NE single.
Nitro

That should be quite the show,a 416 lever action backed by a 577 canon ha ha!!!!

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Tony,
Why would you not prefer the 416 for within the USA?

I do have that book,Chuck375 sent me a copy no charge,waterrat also offered to send me a copy as well,such nice people here on ARSmiler
There is some very useful information in that book,I followed up with the machinist that did the work,unfortunately he is too busy now,so the search continues.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Some observations and questions.
Why .416"?
Would .410 or .423 be better due to bullets designed for lower impact velocity in expanding bullets?
.410 and .423 have bullets designed for a shorter tip to crimp. This can allow you more case capacity with the right case design.
I would look at the Turnbull cases to get an idea of what it takes to feed reliably and max oal.
Could a 444 with the extra OAL of 2.75" could get you in that same ballpark of weight and velocity?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bal, sell the 71 and get a 475 Turnbull, all done and ready to rock. I shot one in Alaska...cool rifle!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If more than 2150 was needed, I'm sure the English would have done so 100+ years ago. This world of magnum mania and cartridge oneupmanship is rather nauseating.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If more than 2150 was needed, I'm sure the English would have done so 100+ years ago

No they would have done if they could have. The powders of that time period wouldn't allow it.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
If more than 2150 was needed, I'm sure the English would have done so 100+ years ago

No they would have done if they could have. The powders of that time period wouldn't allow it.

More recoil equals slower recovery for second shots.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
quote:

More recoil equals slower recovery for second shots.

I guess I'm more worried about first shots. Flatter trajectory and more smack, what's not to like?

I'm sure that I could learn to hunt at 2150fps, it's just that I've spent my life on the other side, 2600-3100fps. However, I'm considering doing the 450grain .500AccRel at 2500fps. We'll see.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Some observations and questions.
Why .416"?
Would .410 or .423 be better due to bullets designed for lower impact velocity in expanding bullets?
.410 and .423 have bullets designed for a shorter tip to crimp. This can allow you more case capacity with the right case design.
I would look at the Turnbull cases to get an idea of what it takes to feed reliably and max oal.
Could a 444 with the extra OAL of 2.75" could get you in that same ballpark of weight and velocity?

Why 416?
well a 416-348 improved has been done before successfully,lots of bullets,right speed,the correct sectional density,good penetration,operates at about 45000.00 psi,& besides it just sounds cool,
444 operates at about 51000 psi,it would be too much pressure for a 71 or an 1886.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Bal, sell the 71 and get a 475 Turnbull, all done and ready to rock. I shot one in Alaska...cool rifle!

Biebs,
what makes you think I don't have one already ha ha,mine shoots great,I just want a lever action that gives me the correct sectional density & matches the ballistics of the old favorite 450-400 NE.

DRSS

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

How then did rounds like the 375 H&H, 416 Rigby and 500 Jeffery get more ?

Cal, I think the oneupmanship started long ago.
I had a WR drop lock with 26" bbl and using the original Kynoch loads that it was regulated with it gave 2160fps, even though it was advertised as 2350fps.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote