THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Happy 100!!!! patriot

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Good Morning People! I trust all are having a great weekend thus far?

Excellent! Well, as I stated somewhere yesterday, Sam and I have been to work again. Yesterday we conducted several tests consisting of the new BBW #13s, by CEB in copper for the "Double Rifle Crowd", and with nothing less than of course, double rifles. We did throw on 510 Wells test in with the 570 BBW #13 to see what would happen, but other than that, it was a double day for you guys out there with the doubles, that are lurking about! Hopefully you are out there anyway, don't be scared to put in your two cents worth, your opinions are valued here! Unlike other places sometimes!

Now, to start things off, Sam had some samples made or prototypes by CEB of his now famous BBW #13, all in copper. These are two band versions to reduce bearing surface and we believe to reduce issues with shooting mono solids in double rifles. Especially "Modern" doubles.

To start things off, we will look at a 470 Nitro, 500 gr BBW #13 Copper by CEB. By the way, the prototypes are EXTREMELY expensive to do, these are not to actually test the nose profile or the design, that has been pretty well established as far as I care, it's more to test CEB and make sure they get it right! FYI.

Please, any questions related to doubles, direct to Sam, he is my "double Expert".

Michael

Jim,
Is this what you are asking about? This bullet has simple band not what you are calling seal tite.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
quote:

Jim,
Is this what you are asking about? This bullet has simple band not what you are calling seal tite.

Sam
Sam,

I just presumed that it was because it looked so similar to what CEB shows on their website as the Seal Tite Band:

And it just didn't look as clean as the two styles of bands that you put on the BBW bullets.

But I will definately take your word for it!!! Smiler

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Sam,

I should have gone back and re-looked at the unfired bullets that Michael posted back on page 96; they clearly show that CEB has flattened the upper band on your 2-Band bullet:

I can see where CEB just modified your .509 caliber BBW 3-Band bullet shown on page 94:

to produce the upper band.

I should have asked rather than presuming!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

No problem. CEB just modified my original band to make it easier to machine with their tooling. What they did seems to work fine.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap
Best thread on the forum to date.
100 pages and climbing! Congrat's Michael.

beer tu2 dancing

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim,

No problem. CEB just modified my original band to make it easier to machine with their tooling. What they did seems to work fine.

Sam
Sam,

That makes perfect sense...and yes it does seem to work just fine!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:
clap
Best thread on the forum to date.
100 pages and climbing! Congrat's Michael.

beer tu2 dancing
Hey Dennis I'll tu2 that. beer

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
100 Pages! Well, I did not do this alone of course! There have been many contributors in the last 11 months, thread is only 1 yr old in November!

Thanks to all that have contributed from the very beginning

analog__peninsula
Alf
Jetdriver
458 Only
shootaway
Capoward--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
Extremist458
Rug
Buffalo--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
jwp475--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
RIP--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
dean119
fourbore
Whitworth--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
Dwright--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
Robgunbuilder
CCMdoc
fredj338
jeffeosso--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
Canuck
Macifej--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
aaccit
Warrior
BoomStick--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
465HH--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
Gerard--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
BwanaDave
BikeRider--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
Con
PWS
I Bin Therbefor
someoldguy--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
Jagter
VVarrior
416Tanzan--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
leopardtrack
sharpsguy--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
ar corey
Phatman
Andrew cempa
Mike70560--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
Andy
hughman
NE450No2
Nakihunter
Mafunyane
31/2Makesmelaugh
ovny
Srose--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond! And Double that!
Hoot Murray
Esskay
dean119
Jack D Bold
peterdk--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
Rusty
500N
Dave Bush--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
CowboyCS
trophyhunter5000
Demonical
aliveincc
NFMike
North Fork--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond!
m3taco
david.bergen
DRG Admin--Special Award for Contributions above and beyond! Changing our Big Bore Photo!
Clem
Austringer
Coloradoyaler
eezridr
8gauge
CrossL
Bob Nisbet
Atkinson
DoubleDon

Guys, I went through from page 1, after a few pages I decided to go all the way through the thread on even numbers, up until the last 5 or so pages. The guys listed here are the ones to thank, and I appreciate all those who contributed so much of your time, energy, bullets to the cause, and knowledge.

Please, remember, I did not see all pages, and I am sure I missed some of you, and for that I am sorry, but time allotted was limited to even pages.

Some contributed to this effort far above and beyond the call of duty, thank you.

I tried to think of something special for page 100, a milestone I suppose as it is, I can think of nothing better than my thanks to all those listed, and my apology if I missed you on an odd number page.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Special thanks to Michael458 for everything from starting the thread to hundreds if not thousands of tests he conducted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,Michael!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
The goal of every hunter should be to quickly and humanely dispatch their hunted game; this thread has accelerated this goal multifold already and we’re not finished yet!!!

Michael…
Kudos to you for almost one year’s worth of very hard work and for bringing this wealth of knowledge to all of us.

Sam…
Kudos to you for the multitude of bullet designs that you’ve developed for Michael’s testing these past number of months. And a personal thank you for helping develop the .500 caliber HP Spitzer for me.

I look forward to the testing of the HP designs derived from the BBW #13 FN bullets; they should work extremely well. I’m also wondering if the BBW HB FN bullets, once further refined, will allow the “recoil sensitive” individual the ability to step up into the true big bore world…the .458 caliber and above…by shooting a lighter weight HB bullet that will provide the same penetration advantages of the full solid bullet but with less recoil. I guess only time will tell.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
i am honered, thank you michael and sam.

now before you guy's are resting to much on the fame and glory, this HB bullet is still taking to much of my sleep.

questions:

with the same load, what will the vel difference be, as compared to a conventionel no-con.

with the same load, will that impact the regulation as compared to the conventionel load ?

with the same load, what will the pressure be for a HB bullet ?

what will a BBW #13 560 grain 577 in copper going at 1800-1850 fps penetrate in michaels medium (hard to reproduce the same circumstanses, when i am sitting on the other side of the globe)

i am a bit flustred here, as this might be the answer to black powder rifles, bringing them into the 21'st century, i have this idea of annealing the body of the bullet but keeping the tip hard, should produce some baaad bullets for the henry rifled community.

this really is the best innovation in double rifle history in the last 50-70 years, if you guys can do what you do so well over there, i will run the bullets through some elderly rifles over here, and measure them as far as i have the oppertunity over here and report back asap.

some of the bullet makers claim that their non-con's are safe in elderly double's and i do belive north fork because they seem to accept and encourage a fair bit of testing outside of their own labs, the others not so much.

lets get to the bottom of this, before my head starts doing full turns and the peasoup will be the order of today Smiler

again thanks for all your hard work

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Oh man, everyone is welcome, and I thank all you, as we have learned a lot together, and blah blah blah blah, and all that!

OK, enough already, back to work, Burning damn daylight hard as we can.

Yes, there is much left to do, I doubt we will ever be completed with nothing at all left to ponder! At least not me. There are discoveries to be made in our world, and no one else is doing anything about it, we might as well do it ourselves!

I tell you know however, it's going to take me some time to catch back up with things. Sam and I must attend to getting these BBW #13s into production, if anyone is getting ready to go hunting soon and wants to try some out, do let us know, we will make a very special effort to get some coming your way. Sam is getting ready to go smash elephant here in just a couple more weeks or so with a big 750 BBW #13 in the 577 Nitro! Big hammer! Anyone else, hurry up, let us know.

Getting the same bullets up and running both for the doubles and the bolt guns is going to take some doing. So a good bit of time is going to be spent there.

Next step, get some hollow point Non Cons done, off the BBW #13 profile.

Next Step--See if we can get some Hollow Base bullets done in a few different calibers to do some test work with, eh Peter?

Peter, we have strain gages already hooked up to a 470 Nitro--it would be best to have some hollow base done on that, in the Copper BBW#13, how would that do to test some?

Peter--a list of calibers, and end weights of those hollow bases if you can! We will see if we can eventually rid you of your headache! HEH.

Oh, and don't forget, we have all sorts of things coming in, bullets in .474, factory loads, all to complete and add to the pressure tests on the 470 Nitro!

In addition, I suppose I have been inspired to get back to doing some pressure tests that are long overdue on the B&Ms, so I hooked up strain gages today to 50 B&M, 500 MDM, and 458 B&M Super Short, and ordered 12 new strain gages, 2 new connecting wires and some other things to do some more work. So I have some work to do on that coming up the next couple of weeks.

I also have to make a run very soon for test medium! Not far from being low on that, will get about a 1/2 ton I suppose will keep us a bit.

Lot's left to do. Don't forget, I do requests too! If you have something that has been worrying you, or you have questions about, send it to me, we will get it done--Eventually!!!!

M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Michael for everything you have done. Not much would have been known about solids and others if it wasn't for you. I know I would have still been in the dark. Thanks for putting up with all my crazy bullets and beinb willing to test them. I think a lot of good has and will come from it. You can take a rest and get caught up with your terminals. I have my lathe torn apart for rebuild so I won't be sending you new designs every couple of days. Also have to go out of town next week so you can get some relief.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Michael for everything you have done. Not much would have been known about solids and others if it wasn't for you. I know I would have still been in the dark. Thanks for putting up with all my crazy bullets and being willing to test them. I think a lot of good has and will come from it. You can take a rest and get caught up with your terminals. I have my lathe torn apart for rebuild so I won't be sending you new designs every couple of days. Also have to go out of town next week so you can get some relief.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
michael

i think that the 470 could be nice in something like a HB at around 350-320 grains, that should give us something to wonder about if it does the same as the last one, i actually think it might do it at lower pressure, not sure why i think so, but here it is.

the reason i would like to see a 577 BBW at 1800-1850 is that, it is BPE level of performance, but the rifles can be buildt at around 11 pounds now how is that for a portable cannon Smiler

i will go and feed the horses and ponder over this thing with the HB for a bit Smiler

peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I have a couple of 577 BPE's I will try a 2 band in for you. They don't have Henry rifling in them but I'm interested to see how a copper 2 band might work for them. I do have a 500 with Henry rifling and there will be some 2 band BBW#13's going down the tubes soon. I will keep you posted.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
thanks sam

i really am looking forward to see the performance level that the #13 could do at bpe speeds, i really think that this might be something that could be good.

peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc M,
Thanks for the special awards to the Legion of MIB students. I feel like I just got a "gold star" or a gold bullet. Cool
Remember I have your Terminal Ballistics PhD diploma and ceremonial black lab coat to bestow upon you whenever I make it to MIB,
with my .458 B&M Elephant&Varmint Rifle.
That is a new class of rifle. Not just a "DGR" anymore, it is also a "DVR," or a "DGVR": Dangerous Game Varmint Rifletu2

Brass versus copper pressure effects:

Consider that for same-weight bullet the longer bullet will have a higher peak chamber pressure if loaded with same charge and same COL.

Brass is longer for weight than copper.
All other factors constant, it will create a higher peak chamber pressure.

Peak chamber pressure is different than "start pressure" which is merely the amount of that initial pressure rise required to get the bullet fully engaged and starting to move in the rifling.

Here are the basic start pressure guidelines that QuickLoad recommends for plugging into the simulations
(Moly coating or other friction-proofing methods require a factorial reduction of start pressure, etc.):

Rifle Bullets:
Jacketed: 3625 psi
Solid Soft Brass: 1800 psi
Solid Copper: 6525 psi
FMJ with Hard Core: 6525 psi

Handgun Bullets:
Jacketed: 2175 psi
Lead: 1160 psi

Brass has a greater lubricity than copper.
Brass is slick, copper is sticky. Wink

I gotta go get ready to go huntin' soon,
I will have to puzzle over this some more later.

Will be dreaming of a hollow-based BBW#13 that incorporates all the benefits of the shoulder-stabilized nose shape plus the dart stabilization of "Center of Gravity Forward,"
CGF.
A CGF-FN NONCON!!!

Agreed, 450 to 500 grains for the .500-caliber brass and copper monometal NONCONs. tu2

Letter Rip

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will be dreaming of a hollow-based BBW#13 that incorporates all the benefits of the shoulder-stabilized nose shape plus the dart stabilization of "Center of Gravity Forward," CGF.
A CGF-FN NONCON!!!
Ok I just have to ask/pose this question…”Would we see the same benefits from the CGF-FN NONCON demonstrated by this:

If we also did something like this hollow point design:

to the nose…would we still get something like this:

as a result? Or would the HB impede the shank’s penetration as well as inhibiting the petals shearing off resulting in perhaps nothing more than an expanded as displayed by the expanded 470gr HP SST bullet in the 3rd photograph? We could call it a BBW #13 CGF HB-HP NONCON!!

Inquiring minds just had to ask? Or is it just one inquiring mind…aka by Michael as a “PITA”?? Oh well it’s out there so…what do you think???

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Michael for everything you have done. Not much would have been known about solids and others if it wasn't for you. I know I would have still been in the dark. Thanks for putting up with all my crazy bullets and beinb willing to test them. I think a lot of good has and will come from it. You can take a rest and get caught up with your terminals. I have my lathe torn apart for rebuild so I won't be sending you new designs every couple of days. Also have to go out of town next week so you can get some relief.

Sam

Thanks Buddy! Much appreciated. With the lathe torn down, and being out of town, Whew-Break time! Oppps, wait a minute, I just hooked up 3 strain gages to 500 MDM, 50 B&M, 458 Super Short, hmmm, well, guess I will catch up on some much needed pressure tests, and other tests that have gone lacking, run and get a 1/2 of test medium, range cleanup, set up a couple of presses, and on and on. No rest here I think.

Peter, when Sam sorts out bpe bullets, we will be ready this side!

RIP

For real? A TB-PhD and Black Lab Coat? Who da Man now?

CGF--That is good. We must remember that for a future designation. Excellent. Can always rely on Doc RIP to come up with the catchy names for things! So it is! CGF-FN BBW #13 for the HBs! For NonCon Expanding--CGF-HP NonCon.

Sam and I were sitting around the other day contemplating a HP, with a undercut around the blades, at a BBW #13 angle, when the blades shear--a BBW #13 Nose Profile! Neat! Of course a ragged edge profile, but none the less a BBW#13! Hmmmmm?

Jim
BBW #13 CGF HB-HP NonCon! Whew! OK. Not sure, thinking on it. In copper I tend to lean that an HB would inhibit the shearing of petals unless they were undercut or something. What I have seen for sure is that weight makes a difference in the copper shearing, The 380 and 426 tend to hang on to the petals at higher velocity than what the 470 can hang with them. For instance petals may start to shear at 2250 with a 380, 2200 with the 426, and 2150 with the 470. Weight, or one might say SD pushing the shearing effect on copper. Drop the weight, might inhibit, unless of course velocity can be increased, and stay under pressure? Maybe?

I suppose at some point we will find out!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

I wish I could be around to help you with those pressure tests. Man that was a lot of work for two people. I don't know how you do it all!

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael,

I wish I could be around to help you with those pressure tests. Man that was a lot of work for two people. I don't know how you do it all!

Sam

Sam

Efficiency and proper procedure! HEH. I ordered two more extra wire connectors so we don't have to take the ones off the 470 Nitro. Soon as they come in I very much need to do some comparisons on the 500 MDM and the 458 Super Short. Then catch up with a lot of new loads that I did with the 50 B&M since I did the first pressure tests with those, I think it was 2008 last time I hooked things up. It's a bitch sometimes as sensitive as that is, as you know.

Don't know if you noticed, but remember the computer sitting below on the set of the bench? And the unit on top of the bench next to the rifle? Imagine what muzzle blast and such can do to a computer? That's why.

Have you received any of the 470 bullets or factory ammo yet? When do you want to plan another test session? Anytime fine with me, will make a plan around your schedule.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Well I'm sure you can do it by yourself, lots of work.

No I have not gotten any new bullets yet but hopefully tomorrow. I am sorting out new brass this morning to make sure we have enough 470 to continue the tests. I do have some mono solids loaded that you gave me and I was going to load a few cast bullets. Several people have sent factory ammo and bullets but none have showed up yet. We will have to put me coming down off until the following week. If I get any of the stuff in tomorrow I will load it up and send it to you. While I'm working you can be playing.

Just found 120 new cases so we are good, all Bell the same as tested.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Sam

No, don't send anything to me. Just wait until you return after next week. I have plenty to do this week anyway. And, fact is, nothing is very pressing on the Nitro, yes, we want to know, but it can wait until you get back and come down here.

Not sure when my stuff is going to arrive so I can get to work on the pressure tests, should be here in a couple of days. I can piddle around with that until you get back.

M

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Michael/Sam

The North Forks, Woody Hydros, and Trophy Bonded bullets should arrive at Sam's on Monday.

Those Trophy Bonded bullets may look familiar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike,

Very nice of you to send those. Looking forward to adding them to the mix.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim
BBW #13 CGF HB-HP NonCon! Whew! OK. Not sure, thinking on it. In copper I tend to lean that an HB would inhibit the shearing of petals unless they were undercut or something. What I have seen for sure is that weight makes a difference in the copper shearing, The 380 and 426 tend to hang on to the petals at higher velocity than what the 470 can hang with them. For instance petals may start to shear at 2250 with a 380, 2200 with the 426, and 2150 with the 470. Weight, or one might say SD pushing the shearing effect on copper. Drop the weight, might inhibit, unless of course velocity can be increased, and stay under pressure? Maybe?

I suppose at some point we will find out!

Michael
Michael,

Looking at it from the velocity and weight prospective...I agree with you that it likely won't be viable. Ah well, had to ponder it anyway.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just melt the lead out of a Swift A frame and thats what you'll have.

I see it didn't take long to get to page 101!

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just melt the lead out of a Swift A frame and thats what you'll have.

I see it didn't take long to get to page 101!
Pretty darn close...just a bit thicker center section.

Yep, 101 pages and counting. The PDF file is now 2248 pages long and ready to start part 3.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, the hollowpoint nose defeats the hollow base for CGF.
Hollow base no good except for a solid FN.
Idea is to get the center of gravity ahead of the center of form, for "dart stabilization."

The BBW#13 nose shape gives relatively more mass forward than most of the old truncated cone FN nose shapes, I reckon,
and that is another reason it should work better, besides the excellent shoulder stabilization.
At least it will be easier to dart-stabilize, with a smaller amount of hollowing of the base, than some other nose shapes. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Guys I am still in a whirlwind over last week! What a hoot the pressure tests on the doubles turned out to be! Sam is out this week as we know, and when he returns we are making a plan to continue this test with lot's of other bullets. So this is extremely interesting to me so far. So we continue.

In the meantime, I have ordered 250 of these two banded BBW #13s in a 500 gr Copper, exactly like the double rifle bullets, only in .500 caliber for the B&Ms. I will be testing, and doing pressure tests at the same time with this bullet as opposed to several others in the mix, and will be doing my best to put these in tiny .500 caliber bug holes at 50 yds to see about the accuracy. Of course the way I have been shooting the last few days I might have to import someone who can shoot! My 50 yd bug holes have turned into gopher holes! Need to get on that and sort that out!

However, none of that is the reason for the post. You know we have had some guys go out to the field and return. I have heard from a few and have urged them to come and post photos of the bullets and the stories with them. So I think they are getting their photos and act together and soon will post us some results.

Our very own Austringer took his 450 gr 458 caliber North Forks for buffalo, and from what I heard performance was great, and looks just like the ones we tested for him before he left. He mentioned hammering some zebra and wildebeast too. When you get a chance Austringer, we can't wait for the report and photos of the bullets.

Another one of our own, m3taco, took his 45/70 bolt gun across the pond, shooting a variety of bullets and critters and has an excellent report coming, I hope! I asked him to, so I hope he will when he can. He does have one thing he did that interests me very much, and that is that 330 Barnes Banded that I like so well in .458 for my 458 B&M Super Short--Perfect for that cartridge, well it seems that m3taco sent one up the rear of a zebra and it exited the chest!! Now that is doing it for a 330 gr .458 caliber solid eh? It's a long way from rear to front exit on a zebra! Remember the 50 inches of performance we got right here in the test medium with same said bullet? How far is it from the ass to front of a zebra you reckon?

Can't wait to hear more on both of these hunts!

This is abotu terminals you know!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I don't recollect whether he's mentioned it here...there's been so much going on the past week...but Mike70560 has posted his hunt on the "Hunting Reports - Africa" forum...here's a link to the thread:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7881072141

May need to change his moniker to Mike70560x3 though!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Oh I have not forgot our very own Mike by any stretch. He posted his buff here and it was a hammer of a buff too! My god--horns from Mikes house to mine looks like to me! He will get his on here when he catches up too I am sure. I know he had some fantastic looking bullets recovered and we can have good discussion on all of them. I was letting him catch his breath a bit, get caught up some.

M

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Ah yes I'd forgotten. T'was a very nice buff and big smiles from Mike and Ms. Mike.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Hopefully these pictures will post correctly since I've not done it in a long time.
These are from 7 Oct 2010 Tanzania, just west of Selous K-1. Pretty area, fairly open, and both of these animals taken in the middle of a very large mbuga (open plain between forest). (Yes, we did stalk up as 'close' as practical, without stampeding the hartebeest (1) or the sizable buffalo herd [50-70].

This is the hartebeest with Tanzan, wife, son, PH friend, and guides. The animal was stalked about 500 yards across an open plain in knocked-down, tall grass, leaving about 3-4 feet of cover. At a remaining 250 yards the hartebeest stopped eating and turned to fix his full attention on us. So the shot was taken at that point with a tripod rest and elbow supported.

This is a heart (pictured) from a hartebeest harvested with a 338 Win Mag with 225 TTSX at 250 yards. 3/4 to face-on, entered inside close leg, thru heart and exited on far flank with smallish bullet hole (not pictured). A small hole is typical of shots that would otherwise have been contained by the flexible skin grabbing a conventional lead mushroom instead of the sharp petals of a Barnes TTSX. Impact sound was a loud crack that was distinctly heard by my wife 800 yards away on the edge of the forest. Animal ran/wobbled about 30-40 yards.

Son's first buffalo, a selected old cow (for meat and pointed out by PH). First shot was very fatal, thru lungs at 200 yards, ([200 is not generally recommended] but it was from a very secure rest, accurate rifle, capable shooter, no intervening grass, confident PH in shooter's skills). 416 TSX 350 grain exited lungs on far side. Second shot (turned out unnecessary) was recovered in the far hip and is pictured below for the Terminal Ballistics forum. Impact was weakish 'thwap' and not heard by wife/mother about a kilometer away, though the shots were clearly heard. Second shot was also a less-distinct 'thwap', not heard a kilometer away.

416 Rigby, 350 Barnes TSX, muzzle velocity 2675 fps, impact velocity about 2100 fps at just over 250 yards (second shot, not first!). Recovered weight 349.2 grains, 99+%. Petal spreads were .78" and .80". All in all, very impressive and reliable performance.
While halving the buffalo body for loading into a pickup we watched two groups of hartebeest playing 350 yards away. One group left the scene, the second continued to play, apparently aware that we were no longer interested in them, except to watch.

And with the first hartebeest and buffalo the freezer was full, though we also took an old, smallish reedbuck. Such is the life of non-trophy meat hunters. Back to DAR.

Tanzan

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
tu2 Very nice hunting Tanzan, looks like those TSX's worked just fine.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Tanzan

Thank You! Excellent field terminal report, and with bullets we have tested right here on terminals too! And they look pretty much the same as tested, at least the one recoverd. Excellent job!

Can you give a estimate on depth of penetration on any of them?

Michael

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the long 577 BBW #13 in aluminum would weigh?
Would be interesting to see the penetration and velocity with the same charge. 4,000 FPS? Extreme trauma for sure!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote