THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Cutting Edge Bullets 49-10 Loads: 12.7x68mm Magnum
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting Edge Bullets 49-10 Loads: 12.7x68mm Magnum Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
All rightee…trying to keep both threads updated…
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Jim:
There was some sort of padding on the seat of the folding metal chairs my butt inhabited for 6 days.
Marriott Resort and Spa folding metal chairs.
Started at 8 AM Sunday and ended at 5 PM the next Friday.
Last year those heathens started the conference on Mother's Day!
Must have gotten complaints on that, so they delayed their springtime profaning of the Sabbath by a week this year.
Reckon Saturday is their Sabbath? animal

quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
Ok… opened up the laptop for a few mintues and pulled up the following bullet drawing and projected BCs that Dan sent me:

Quick Design said the projected BC on the .500 bullet to be .365-.380 which I suspect to be fairly close.

Thanks again for the work on this bullet.

I will use the conservative estimate of .365 and correct the 2651 fps at 5 yards to MV
and plot the trajectory to 300 yards. Then see how it compares at the range.
It will be a lark to go to the range and just shoot at 100 yards and 300 yards.
Horse shoes, hand grenades and NonCons.

We have two very special "NonCon" bullets from Cutting Edge Bullets for the 12.7x68M/49-10.
360-gr/W350 ESP Raptor ---Plastic-Tipped Boat-Tailed Brass Hexploder/Penetrator--- at 2920 fps MV with BC of .260
430-gr MTH ---Sleek "Seal Band" Hollow Point Boat Tailed Monometal Copper --- at +2650 fps MV with BC of .365

A .500-caliber/430-grain copper CEB MTH is still a NonConventional bullet,
and certainly good enough for cape buffalo, no doubt about it.
Also nice that it can serve double duty for plains game.
The 360gr/W350 worked well on 1-ton eland for Doc M.
Ought to be a good dual purpose bullet too.
tu2

quote:
Ron,

Thank you but this is truly a group accolade. My only part was to throw some ideas against the wall and Dan produced this fantastic bullet from those ideas… However, Michael’s work at the Lab and your load development and target work in the field have substantiated Dan’s design – as evidenced by your posts on page 7 of this thread, and page 1 of this similar thread:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/2811060471
(I’m beginning to get lost on these multiple threads…)
Anyway, the three of you deserve many many kudos for your efforts. Me…I don’t even have a rifle to shoot them in yet! LOL…

For those who might have interest in the .500 caliber 430gr CEB MTH Y01 Copper Spitzer NonCon…
Drawn from the Big Bore – Terminal Bullet Performance thread:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...3/m/2861098911/p/192
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Ya'll gonna drive me totally cuckoo!!!!!!!!!!

I can hardly keep up as it is!

OK, Capo and RIP, pay attention! I received the few over run bullets in your special run of CEB copper pointy things from Dan yesterday. I don't recall how many, 15-20 of them I think, so I gave them a good workout this morning whilst doing some other things, and since you have these in hand I thought you might like some info on them

Good news--They are in my opinion a huge success! You did good!

As you remember from a couple of years ago I was using a 470 Copper HP from Lehigh on the buffalo. Running at 2450 fps or so I was getting shear at less than 50-60 yards, then on out there getting a six bladed bullet from hell anyway. No real downside as I saw it, but the shear produced more reaction and more trauma from the buffalo. So I decided the shearing effect was very good and here we are today with shearing brass bullets!

Now you two want to go back to copper, JHC, can't you just leave well enough alone? HEH HEH....

But, these pointy things you guys had done are doing very well, even way down in velocity. Take a look!

I loaded what I thought would be top end loads to see what was going to happen in both 50 B&M and the 500 MDM.

Of course they are too long for the magazine in the 50 B&M.

Starting out at the higher end velocity in the 50 B&M and working my way down. Even at 2350 fps pressures were only 52672 PSI, so I could easy raise the velocity in the 50 B&M.

Of course you know this, but almost all copper blades stay with the center wound channel, and that is ok and not a bad thing, there is a massive wound channel with these at velocity, and the copper blades assist with that. You don't see any, I got tired of looking for them, as I did brass Carnivores before these and spent half the morning sifting through paper pulp looking for blades! With these I was more interested in just making sure they are opening, and working, and that they are doing very very well! You guys have a good bullet!

Michael

quote:

Those are pretty darn nice looking bullets! Even if I am slightly biased.

quote:
Michael,
Thanks for the tests… Looking at the first photograph at the commencement of the grooving on the bullet above the Seal Tite Band is just about the seating depth that Dan said could be used with this bullet when there is a COAL/magazine length issue (yep with the Seal Tite Band within the case neck). I don’t know if seating the bullet that deep would allow it to function from your magazine or not…might be something to try.

I think these two photographs pretty much say all that needs to be said!

Dan likes copper and he said these bullets would work just fine. If I’ve computed correctly, using a MV of 2355 should equal this impact result at approximately 350yds. So…I’d say, “Dan well done! You hit the performance target right in the X-ring.”

Who said .50 caliber weren't long range hunting calibers!
So bringing this up a little bit… running RIP’s 12.7x68mm Magnum (49-10) loading through QL and QT with Michael’s 1660fps low velocity tip expansion as a floor…indicates that we should be good at 450yds…

And I should mention, at RIP's muzzle velocity the 2144fps impact with full petal shear from Michael's post is the equivalent of a 225yd impact and the 1911fps impact with the single petal remaining is the equivalent of a 333yd impact.

Well done Dan! And yes the .500 caliber is a long range hunting caliber as well as a very deadly ‘up front and personal’ caliber – both when using properly designed cartridges. YES!!!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote