New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why the 378Weatherby? Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all,
Just my 2 cents, I like my 378 and hunt with it as well. I don't know 2 many people that hunt walk with 2 rifles on their shoulders. bewildered
So with what I have read so far is if you stalk to 100m and a critter jumps up, I now have to back stalk to 300m so I have a killin shot? fishing Sorry I will pull the trigger and I guarantee the critter will die. BOOM
But I will be worried for days waitin for the "Dead Critter Police" to stop by and arrest me for using the wrong rifle for the job. stir

Sorry MTM you'll have to buy them from those guys that think it's a useless caliber.

You don't have to be the best shot....Just the last shot.

Posts: 126 | Location: Peace River, Alberta | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experiences, if you want to increase killing power, then you need to move up to a bigger and heavier bullet, not increase the velocity.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"-Carl Sagan

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Why the 378 WBY? Why the 375 WBY? Because guys like this demanded it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAKYQjpDtpA

rotflmo

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess that explains Jim's 7 shot .378 revolver carbine ..... Cool

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HMMM. I asked this question of Saeed. He emailed me and said buy the 375 H&H, since the animals wouldn't know the difference.

There is a film of Saeed shooting a Dukier, at 275 yards, quartering away, with a 375 H&H. Amazing shot.

Still, given that kind of shooting ability, and shot placement I can see his point. Use one bullet, Barnes X or Walterhog, that works just as well at close range as long range. Gives him a flat shooting gun that works from Dukier to elephant.

Now, if you load the 378 at 2700 fps, what kind of pressure do you get? Looks like just a couple of grains over minimum, or around 35-40k. Wasn't that the whole idea with the 416 Rigby? Low pressure, relatively high velocity, big case, low capacity?

Besides, without that case we couldn't build the .510 Van Horn... lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
375 H&H

Varmint round...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why buy a Pontiac Transam with a 455 cubic engine V8 ,when a Fiat Bambino with a 500 cc engine will still get you ,exactly where you want to go ?im tired of hearing the 375 H and H wank, there are better calibres than it ,More like why WSM calibres ? and why RUM calibres and why new lever action calibres they are all pointless

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still don't see anyone addressing capacity as an issue. The 375 I've got holds 6 rounds.
Seems the .416 Remington, and, the 458 Lott would be a more logical path, since they would maintain maybe one less round, yet give you the same ballistics as the 378.

IIRC, a 458 Lott will REALLY move a 300 grain bullet...Heck, the 458 Win mag will move a 300 grain bullet 2784 fps...

One of Us
Picture of BaldMummy
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance .. GS ... if the "458 moves the 300grain projectile at 2784 fps .. why would the .378 moving a 300grainer ...at 2900 be a bad thing ??"

am i missing somthing .. surly the sectional density of the .375 cal is higher than a 458 .. thus would penetrate better

I just like things that go BANG!!!

Posts: 34 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
Just try to find a 300gr 458 bullet that will hold together under 100yds on a buff at that speed in the win mag. Or better yet speed it up in the Lott and make it more useless. If you want to shoot 300gr shoot 375 cal the 458's shoot 450-550 real nice. if you want to go fast get a bigger case and it doesn't matter what it has stamped on the back end! Rigby Weatherby Remington, Big is big.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people don't really care one way or the other about the 378.

What you get is people repeating hand me down stories about soft bullets and recoil and a 'general working class dislike of over flashiness' from 2 generations ago just for something to do.

And here on a bigbore dangerous game forum, tastes and 'correctness' tends more towards the British side of things which adds to that.

Have to admit its funny the culture that produced it, and is also fiercly proud of things like the cadillac, corvette, grid iron football and cheerleaders, is the culture that seems to have the most problem with the 378 Wink

Most the rest of us like it.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaldMummy
posted Hide Post
Interesting comment Karl!!!

In South Africa .. the 378 hasnt got much of a following either ..... but there are a few "believers" like me !! who like the flexiblity!!!

LOL i also own a 22-250 .. so i guess i need say no more!!! ok i also own a 22LR ..22Hornet 30-06 .. so i guess i have all the questionable calibers covered ... ask the 222 guys ... the 270 or 308 guys .. and the .17 guys!!!

back to the point .. its a personal preference thing .. have press and dies .. will travel!!

I just like things that go BANG!!!

Posts: 34 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
X2 Karl, great observation about this forum.
Alot of Weatherby haters here, it's not that they dislike them they absolutely hate them and it is really strange. Oh well more for me I guess.
If the 378 Weatherby had winchester or Remington name behind it, it would be revered as god like.
But because 1 man created something that is a little more powerful and a little more money back in the day it is the retarded cousin.
Those that own and hunt with weatherby's enjoy them not for the sense of my rifle is better than yours but rather I enjoy knocking down game with a great rifle. I own Remingtons, Brownings, Winchester' and Rugers and I like them all for numerous reasons, mostly because I have killed something with them and have a great story.

anyway just my 2 cents.

You don't have to be the best shot....Just the last shot.

Posts: 126 | Location: Peace River, Alberta | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is anything technically wrong with the .378. It is just a big jug for the powder. The big fat belted case ensured it remained a proprietary cartridge that does not fit into any thing besides a Mark V. The Mark V is also not the favorite of a lot of folks so it makes for an unpopular combo.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can understand each person's opinion both pro and con! I bought a 300 Weatherby, Mark V in 1963 and used that rifle for many, many years. Ihunted a lot of Elk and Mule deer with it and it was a faithful companion that never let me down. In 1984 I purchased a 340 Weatherby and used it in Alaska for Brown bear with excellent results. I have also had a 378 and a 460 and both were excellent rifles and did exactly what they were built for. I had a 385 yard shot at a record book Kudu and the 378 dropped him in his tracks. If you are hunting big game at sometimes long distances, the Weatherby line of cartridges will definitely fill the bill. I am not crazy about Weatherby's stock design as they do have a tendency to smack a person fairly hard and very fast! Out side of that, Roy designed a great line of cartridges that have a large following. To each his own as everyone has a different opinion. That is why we all enjoy these forums!

Posts: 58 | Location: Chile | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I have all the bees sans 338-378 and the 375. Having the 340 and the 378 I see no reason for them.

I love them all. The 378 is my sweetheart. 2nd rifle I ever owned. First was a 25-06.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vapodog:
Can one have too much rifle?????.....

No, not if you have a small penis or have to shoot animals at 500 yards because you lack the hunting skills to get any closer.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .378Wea is not for everyone. I shoot it not because I specificly wanted a .378Wea but I was in the marked for a good .375Cal rifle. I was so lucky to find Ritterbusch rifle in .378wea which were up for grabs and I snathed it like a greased lightning.
Would I have been satisfied with a .375 H&H?. Most definatly!. However I am very pleased with the.378Wea as it is. I use Swift A-frames 300grain and GS solid FN 300grain which works perfectly for that velocity the .378Wea generate. With the newer bullet that is heavier than the mandatory "300grain-.375cal" the .378Wea will come out even stronger.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens, a Ritterbusch magazine rifle would make any caliber into a "must have" gun :-)

Posts: 20157 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What type of scope and rings are you guys using? I have had a hard time keeping the scope from moving (Bushnell 3200 3X9 Leupold rings and bases)

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460mag:
What type of scope and rings are you guys using? I have had a hard time keeping the scope from moving (Bushnell 3200 3X9 Leupold rings and bases)

I use Leupold QRW rings and NF NXS 2.5x10x40mm compact scope.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
quote:

No, not if you have a small penis or have to shoot animals at 500 yards because you lack the hunting skills to get any closer.

What about those of us who just like big rifles? What is wrong with that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
quote:

What about those of us who just like big rifles? What is wrong with that?

Well POP...

If one likes something there is always an asshole to contest the choice. I wouldn´t put too much into that "diagnose" that has been made. Cool

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just FYI...

Pete Papac has hunted the world for over 40 years. He won the Weatherby Award in 1999 and the Conklin Award in 2006. His trophy room is featured in the Great Hunters series by Safari Press. He did most of that hunting with only a .378 Weatherby. Smiler

Posts: 454 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 19 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlabreck7316:
Just FYI...

Pete Papac has hunted the world for over 40 years. He won the Weatherby Award in 1999 and the Conklin Award in 2006. His trophy room is featured in the Great Hunters series by Safari Press. He did most of that hunting with only a .378 Weatherby. Smiler

If you can handle the rifle, it definitely gives versatility. You can take a 400 yard shot at an elk, or 20 yard shot at an elephant.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
The handloaded 416Rigby maintains the capacity of the 378 but fattens up the bullet.

My son and I have concluded that the handloaded 416 Rigby (=416Weatherby) is the ultimate all-around calibre for Africa. Flat and over-.40".

Lot's of other calibre work great, too.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
If velocity was an insignificant factor, then we would all be using the 400/375 instead of faster 375s and the 45/70 instead of the 458 . Or the 30/30 instead of the 06 or 300.
I've never been up close to a brown bear where I wished for Less velocity than what I had in my hands. I can attest to the 416 , 300 gr TSX @ over 2800 fps impact velocity absolutely, instantly dumps brown bear at close range. However, a 416 , 400 gr bullet at around 2400 fps does also. However, I do prefer the light and fast mono metal expanding bullet load.
For my purposes the Mark V action is why I don't have a 378. I've never been much on the Mark V action.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
I lke all my Weatherby rifles as much as all my other big bore rifles. Will admit that there is alot of Weatherby bashing on this sight. I have never understood it either?

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those who don't like the Mark V Wby, try the original Schultz and Larsen Wbys. Only loaded through the bottom and had to put one up the pipe first to get in three rounds. No muzzle brakes and a real thrill to light up. All that aside, if I really wanted to kill something it would be one of the cartridges I would go to first. I really do wish I had that gun again. Cool

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom .378 on a Brevex action. The stock fits me well enough; there's no brake or porting and I can honestly tell you that 300 grain bullets @ 2900 fps aren't awful. I've even shot it off the bench, although I can't say that's particularly enjoyable. In my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it, the problems were the platform (Mark V) and the bullets designed for the H&H cartridge.

There's nothing fearsome about the .378 in a well fitting, well designed rifle.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
roy weatherby was ahead of his time then and with the resources we have today as far as components, custom brass and bullets he would still be ahead of his time..

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Got a 416 also!!!

http://gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Back when this thread started in 2007 (LOL) I had never shot a 378 Weatherby but had wanted one for a long time. I finally found one on Gunbroker.com for a price I was willing to pay. A Deluxe model with no muzzle brake.

Mine shoots pretty well with Barnes TSX bullets...

And with Barnes banded solids...

Now, just for some comparisoms:

For the 378 Weatherby with:

235 grain bullets you can get 3,224 fps
270 grain bullets you can get 3,091 fps
300 grain bullets you can get 2,940 fps

With the 338 Winchester magnum:

160 grain bullet at 3,277 fps
200 grain bullet at 2,965 fps

Then the 300 Winchester Magnum:

110 grain bullet at 3,684 fps
168 grain bullet at 3,186 fps

The 22-250:

The heaviest bullet listed is 70 grains at 3,499 fps.

I can't recall any bitching, though it may have occurred, about the latter 3 cartridges being so hot they caused bullet failures, shot clear through an animal thus causing a a good blood trail, the wood of the rifle being too nice, the barrel being too shiny, etc.

So, I propose that the ONLY reasons shooters love to bitch about Weatherbys is because they can't handle the recoil and feel their manhood is threatened thereby and/or they don't have a Weatherby.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin,

That looks like a good 270-grain load for me to try in my 378 Wby. Thanks.
Mine is a CZ 550 Magnum that was rechambered from .375 H&H and had the bolt face opened up in the year Y2K.
My 25" barrel of 1:14" twist from CZ probably will be better with 270-grain monos and 300-grain conventional bullets.

I had a BRNO ZKK 602 done similarly in 1998, but someone had shortened that barrel to 22" before I got hold of it.
That short-barreled one got rebarreled to something bigger after the initial 378 Wby experiment.
I should have had a brake installed on that one for maximum noise before I gave up on it.

I also have a Mark V Deluxe barrel in .378 Weatherby that some other foolish fellow had shortened to 22 inches.
I was foolish enough to buy that take-off barrel from him for $50.
I am sure the 378 WBY loses at least 120 fps in going from 26" to 22" with most loads.
That will turn a 378 Wby into a noisier version of a .375 Wby.

You can order the "drop box floor plate" for the Mark V from the Weatherby Custom Shop, and make your 378 Wby hold 3-down, plus one in the chamber:

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a great caliber. It provides bullet with with long range reach, and is a perfec t platform for 350gr bullets in the 375 caliber. If you don't like it or can't handle it, don't buy it.

Posts: 20157 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
I owned a MK V in 378 (no muzzle brake) for a while and thought it recoiled like an S.O.B. I am not particularly recoil sensitive and have also owned and/or shot 458's, 416's, other 375's, and assorted 338's. I think it is the speed at which the .378 comes back at you that is bothersome. I watched my best friend get the infamous "magnum eyebrow", not once but twice, when he crawled the stock of my 378. Guess he was a slow learner. Confused

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got a 416 also!!!

+1
kalimera, Fotis

I'm thinking of switching to the GSC 330grain in .416", too. I figure that 2850-2900fps should be about right in the 416Rigby, Weatherby's.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:
Got a 416 also!!!

+1
kalimera, Fotis

I'm thinking of switching to the GSC 330grain in .416", too. I figure that 2850-2900fps should be about right in the 416Rigby, Weatherby's.

Kalimera file mou~

The GS bullets have been the easiest for me to find accurate loads with! Try them!

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
Back when this thread started in 2007 (LOL) I had never shot a 378 Weatherby but had wanted one for a long time. I finally found one on Gunbroker.com for a price I was willing to pay. A Deluxe model with no muzzle brake.

Mine shoots pretty well with Barnes TSX bullets...

And with Barnes banded solids...

Now, just for some comparisoms:

For the 378 Weatherby with:

235 grain bullets you can get 3,224 fps
270 grain bullets you can get 3,091 fps
300 grain bullets you can get 2,940 fps

With the 338 Winchester magnum:

160 grain bullet at 3,277 fps
200 grain bullet at 2,965 fps

Then the 300 Winchester Magnum:

110 grain bullet at 3,684 fps
168 grain bullet at 3,186 fps

The 22-250:

The heaviest bullet listed is 70 grains at 3,499 fps.

I can't recall any bitching, though it may have occurred, about the latter 3 cartridges being so hot they caused bullet failures, shot clear through an animal thus causing a a good blood trail, the wood of the rifle being too nice, the barrel being too shiny, etc.

So, I propose that the ONLY reasons shooters love to bitch about Weatherbys is because they can't handle the recoil and feel their manhood is threatened thereby and/or they don't have a Weatherby.

VELOCITIES?

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
My 378 Lazermark