New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why the 378Weatherby? Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fotis, a 5-Panel Lazermark...nice!

Posts: 20158 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
where I live we call this stirring the pot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it all started when I was 6 years old I saw the first 45 seconds of the snows of kilmanjaro, alot of tarzan movies,Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, guns magazine with articles on african rifles built on military surplus actions. Went to gunshows where alot of nitro express rounds were available. Read a book put out by herter's sporting goods on their trip to africa in the late 50's or early 60's.I will never get to go but I am prepared just in case. A death row inmate told me once that there is always hope. I am still hanging on.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
I have a custom .378 on a Brevex action. The stock fits me well enough; there's no brake or porting and I can honestly tell you that 300 grain bullets @ 2900 fps aren't awful. I've even shot it off the bench, although I can't say that's particularly enjoyable. In my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it, the problems were the platform (Mark V) and the bullets designed for the H&H cartridge.

There's nothing fearsome about the .378 in a well fitting, well designed rifle.

This is good to know. I like the 378 but always thot it would be great in a CZ 550 . 416 Rigby action. My local smith wouldn't build me one as he couldn't cut the metric threads on the barrel and didn't want to change gears in his lathe. .
He wanted me to use a Magnum Ruger action and for some reason I am still stuck on using the CZ.
With a 12" twist it would work for 20'- 1780 yards with the proper bullets. . Well, it may take some learning on the 1780 .

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think if you want 375 H&H performance beyond ~300-350 yards, the 378 Weatherby makes sense. Since most of us don't hunt the biggest/baddest often, the question I would ask is where is your bullet energy better spent; inside an animal or going thru the field after a pass thru shot. JMO.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoots as flat as a 223 with the power of a 500 Nitro. What's not to like?

posted Hide Post
You hit the nail directly on the head! When this cartridge was introduced, there were no bullets that were designed to handles the velocity. That has all changed and it is definitely a rifle that will do it all. One must be careful in reducing the powder charges, as that can also be a problem. The 378 would be awesome on a Brevex with a nice heavy barrel and no muzzle break.

quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
If you can stand the recoil, I think it's a great caliber whose reputation was somewhat tarnished by inferior bullets when the round first came out.
With today's super premiums that hold together, I think it's a devastating round as I am a firm believer that velocity significantly contributes to a round's kiling efficacy. jorge

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
A guy could do a lot of hunting with the 378.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It makes me happy. Smiler

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .378 is also a fairly accurate cartridge (like most .375 caliber rifles). When growing up in Pennsylvania, I successfully used one for varmint hunting (groundhogs and crows) on a few occasions, shooting prone. The eye relief on the scope I had was a bit inadequate for the task, however...

The rifle was a Harris "Talon" Safari with a 26" tube and a controlled round feed action. I currently have it for sale on Gunbroker with a low opening bid.

The .378 is truly a great cartridge, but I've moved on to the .375 Wby. and .375 RUM in the interests of "standardization" and keeping everything on Model 70's.

Posts: 177 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
The eye relief on the scope I had was a bit inadequate for the task, however...

At least you may understand why I like the Nikon Inline series 3-9x40 with FIVE inches of eye-relief at all powers. They just need an offset front scope ring to handle the 4.73" mounting length on the scope tube.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.