THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416 and 458 AR rounds Shooting
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 and 458 AR rounds Shooting Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/rws1908.html

is this the one?

not that expensive...want three?

scotland is beautiful...when i go back i will do the scotch tour cheers

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Chris,
OMG...
On the 450 Vincent Short the 458 AR is within 50 FPS of the short with it's 26" vs my 22"!!!

okay.. COOL... it works

I see a large number of the loads for the Vincent Short exceeding 2400 fps and at least 2 that exceed 2500...am I missing something?

jeffe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sabot,
you said
quote:
I see a large number of the loads for the Vincent Short exceeding 2400 fps and at least 2 that exceed 2500...am I missing something?

I am working with a 22inch barrel vs a 25, and tried one powder. h335

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39673 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

When are you going to offer to build these for guys?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i am surprised at the lack of congratulations to jeffe...

what gives...

the a.r. carts are a a success and a tribute to the forum and everything it stands for, guns, reloading, working together and only a handfull seem to care enough to post a congrats...the silence...i am perplexed bewildered

if you have done what he has done you would know how hard it is and how much he has put into this. if you have not well than tip your hats to the fella for actualy doing something.

am i off base?

i dont want to force fingers to keyboards here but if you admire the effort or the cahones to do what he has done let him know.

i part with the imortal and apropo words of a hero here

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I don't build for the general public, at this time. I will in the future, and I know a fella that will do a chamber and bolt face for a good price....

Boomstick,
Actually, I am rather complimented at the ammount of responses. It's not like I invented the cure for cancer... just yet another way to run bullets down the bore. Many posters are in, and Frank is happy with the way his rifle is coming.

remember, wildcatting is a weird science!! The first STC hunt was originally arranged around bigbore wildcatters and friends, and has grown from there.

I am pretty darn pleased!! now get that bottle of scotch in the mail!!

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
o.k.

have you tried balvenie 12 year double wood? thats a good'n...

!

Hat of to you, BS! You know your scotch! This is as smooth as welvet, with a drinkability as good beer on a warm day!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am pretty darn pleased!! now get that bottle of scotch in the mail!!

cheers thumb

p.m. sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeffe, it would be cool if you could post loads , and if you had the time, take pics of some targets for the fav loads forum. Time willing of course. BTW I expect nothing less than .500" groups @ 100yd with the 470!! beer

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
Hey Jeffe, it would be cool if you could post loads , and if you had the time, take pics of some targets for the fav loads forum. Time willing of course. BTW I expect nothing less than .500" groups @ 100yd with the 470!! beer

gix,
I'll be posting loads on my website, with the huge disclaimer/rider on it.

We (KN and I) are hoping to pop off a couple on the 470 today, which will be 80 days from thought to all firing.

Was over at Hunting Cat's shop yesterday, were he barreled it (I am having trouble with my lathe in the threading gear box) and we stuck it on a NEW ruger 77mkII that had been 7rem.

went on slicker than hot honey

well, after hours and hours and hours of .. (heh) ... of feeding work (okay, so it was SHIPPING time) .. the new rugers feed these things like a hungry coondog. ZERO, i repeat ZERO work required to make them feed perfectly... 2 down, one off the top .. should be a small thing to close the bolt over the 3rd one, but that's a next week project.

she'll go bang today!!

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is very kickass!! More thoughts on recoil would be nice too after you shoot em all. Not that I am overly concerned, but I have not shot anything bigger than my 375 RUM.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
Jeffe,

Want to start a list of names in the event we can get enough interest to get some basic brass made, maybe even headstamp etc.......your thoughts.

I'll be in Houston this weekend, may have some time if your going to be around.....pretty sure my girlfriend has to work on Sat.

I see from your signature you've been listening to her a lot! You need to get away and get some perspective, LOL.

Why don't we get it stamped "AR 4156780" and like the true Bubbas we are, we can get the ole Dremel out and grind off the numbers we don't need? Roll Eyes

Harry..........its not the girlfriend........I'm just quite taken with myself........lol.....She put my cowboy ass on the street about 2am the other morning...........lol.........but I'm back in good graces today. As far as the numbering system..........you think we could just take a file and scratch the numbers off we don't need............I don't have an engraving tool...............lol

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Box diam that I owe you.

pretty sure its Ultramag box, from Sunny-Hill I didnt use. I can't find the reciept to know what bottom metal it came off of, I used the factory win box, this thing is huge as far as I'm concerned, I stuck a 404 jeffery in it and it had qtr inch to spare.

all diam inside
F-.918
R-.978
L-3.815

Looks like it would hold 4 ultramags down.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
btt for paul's benefit

476AR,

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Thanks, and congrats again! Definately a great way to ring in a new year.

I just need to find an M77 7mag donor, and finish the boat so I have room to get a 13X40 lathe in the garage, then I'm thinking switch barrel 416/470 AR Big Grin

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote