New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lott Load Development Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
I was looking at those pictures of the keyholes. A few of them don't even look like keyholes rather just torn/cut paper not even from a bullet. Now I'm just confused. Either you're lying about rampant bullets, which doesn't make sense why you would and creating the "keyholed" bullets, or somehow, some way something is seriously wrong. There is no way a barrel's rifling could get eroded that fast lest you have a aluminum barrel! Maybe that's it.
If you want to see what a eroded barrel/rifling would look like trying getting a rifle chambered for the 22/378 Weatherby, I think it was called the Eargashplittenloudenboomer, and fire 10 rounds through it. That will give you a accurate picture of what a eroded barrel would look like.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
shoo, thataway ...
STOP CLEANING your barrel so much.. the JB does erode barrels.

I have shot HUNDREDS if not thousands of 458 solids in varius barrels..

they dont' errode the barrel

jeffe
Why doesn't it erode my 308 barrels? jeffeoso,I don't believe you ever shot any solids. I also have not come across anyone with as much rifle shooting experience as myself.jeffeoso,STOP SHOOTING THE CRAP! If you think you no so much,I'll challenge you to a 100yd offhand big bore shoot.The fastest most accurate shooting wins.Surely if you shot thousands of solids you should whoop my ass.I'll challenge any smartass here!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
jeffeoso,I don't believe you ever shot any solids. I also have not come across anyone with as much rifle shooting experience as myself.

jumping jumping holycow banana banana animal hillbilly

Once again guys if you haven't figured it out by now this guy is not real he is a here for comic value only. My guess is that Walter is behind the scene on this. Whoever it is NO ONE can possibly be this stupid in real life.

I've met many special Olympians that blow this guy out of the water when it comes to smarts.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Certain, shoo, thataway, I accept.

Since you declare the challenge, I'll declare the time and place.

Carter's Country range, Spring Texas, Saturday, April 12, 2008, 9am local time.

Of course, you can just back down and skulk off.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoo that away just sent me a picture of himself to verify that he is indeed real.

Now I believe him. He is a man among men. And a rifle shooter to boot. This picture proves it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you think you no so much,I'll challenge you to a 100yd offhand big bore shoot.
hillbilly hillbilly hillbilly

Do we need further evidence? Thet ther sum good speling shitaway!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember,when SHOOTAWAY shoots they fall with the CRACK OF THE SHOT! NO SWING AND MISS here,just a SURE hit!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shitthisway.

I'll bet know quite a bit about CRACK don't you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good grief here we go again. Lol...okay so I guess he'll challenge anyone on this forum. How about Robgunbuilder? Wanna give him a shot to see who can shoot the fastest and most accurate? Jeffeosso? Accusing him of never shooting solids? I had to laugh upon hearing that one!
Let's hear an explanation of those "keyholes" shootaway.

-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robgunbuilder doesn't come across as a smartass.I believe jeffeoso has never shot a solid.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Certain, shoo, thataway, I accept.

Since you declare the challenge, I'll declare the time and place.

Carter's Country range, Spring Texas, Saturday, April 12, 2008, 9am local time.

Of course, you can just back down and skulk off.

jeffe

You coming, son?

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And how did you come about this belief?
If this is because you've heard that they will erode the barrel, firstoff think about what you have said for a second. You did state that they haven't eroded the bore of your .308, correct? That cartridge is more apt to burning out a bore than a .458 Lott. It's behind the cartridge's design.
You may have heard that solids will erode a bore. Back when they were experimenting with different solid designs, it was noted that a straight steel solid will erode the bore with a quickness, and the reason behind that is steel on steel, and it doesn't matter that it's low carbon against high carbon it's still steel on steel. A large amount of solids these days are made with either a brass alloy or copper jacket over a harder core, or even bronze. These are significantly softer than high carbon steel, which is what your barrel is made of. There is just no way for only that many said rounds to cause a significant amount of damage to the rifling.
Also you can't believe everything you hear. I'm stationed here at Camp Pendleton currently active in the USMC and trust me, you come across some characters who come up with some outragous stories. Ever heard of Grandpappy's old 30-30 killing a deer deader than a doornail at 3 miles away? Or a handicapped father in law shooting a deer square in the head with a 7mm Rem Mag at 1700 meters? Or the one fateful dude who swears up and down his father went to africa and successfully killed a cape buffalo at 25 yards with a 1911 chambered for the 45 acp, with two shots through the heart? I've even heard one man tell me he shoots aluminum bullets because he heard they'll travel father. There's a lot of good knowledge on this website and I'll tell you, truth be told as I personally own 3 .458 Lotts, that I've never had a problem so far yet with erosion, solids or not.

-Dr. Ski

one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffeoso,we'll have the match some time. I am know looking forward to getting out more often in the sunshine weather and maybe a vacation by the sea in a super hot country in July.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The way this works, son, is that you issue the challenge, and I get to choose the time and place.

Are you coming or not?
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Shootaway,

A nice course valve grinding compound will work wonder on that barrel. I suggest you give it a try.

Nah, 60 grit sandpaper wrapped around a loose brush works a lot better.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Works even better with a power drill and a coarse valve grinding compound. Cut the handle off a cleaning rod and fit it into a drill chuck. Use a polishing compound for a final pass through. Slicker than snot.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also have not come across anyone with as much rifle shooting experience as myself...I'll challenge any smartass here!

With or without shooting helmets?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post

"I also have not come across anyone with as much rifle shooting experience as myself...I'll challenge any smartass here!"

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This whole thing is totally incomprehensible to me. This is surreal. This is unbelievable. This is bizarre. This is why I hang out here. Eeker

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read an article on reloading the Lott in an old Rifle or Handloader magazine..I still have that copy somewhere...It claimed that IMR-4320 was the only powder that you could get 2350 FPS with a 500 gr. bullet safely...

I did extensive testing with chronograph and micing cases and after lots of time and work came to the same conclusion..IMR-4320 is the only powder for the Lott and anyone that goes to the trouble to do some real research will come to the same conclusion..

In one rifle I got 2500 plus with a 26 inch barrel and the load was hot for sure, but I fired the same case with the same load 5 times before it required triming and another 3 times before it required a second trim...but recoil was horrid and I was just curious..It apparantly had a fast barrel because it was the only Lott I ever got that far with...

After all that testing I still believe the beauty of the 458 Lott is to get 2200-2250 FPS with a 500 gr. bullet and no pressure to speak off...That is all the velocity one will ever need with a 500 gr. bullet....

I might add that all big bores leave a lot of fouling inside the bore because there is more surface to leave the fouling on as the bore gets bigger...This is a problem to some, but the truth is that these big guns are used at very short range and it isn't a problem except in the mind of the beholder..

I clean my big bores at the end of the hunting season in Africa..I use a mixture of Comm. Amonia and Hydrogen Perxiode to get the copper out or Wipe Out is almost as good, the dry it very carefully then oil the crap out of it and put it up until my next sojourn to the dark places! coffee

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Comon Jeff, Shootaway will do the challenge with one ring behind his back!!! shocker

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
shootaway, the basketball fan

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another possibility as a cause of a bullet to key hole is damage to the crown of the muzzle. Some how I damaged the muzzel of my Lott and groups went from less than 1" to 4"s. A recrowning solved the problem.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shootaway, listen to Ray. He knows. Dump all the other stuff and get some IMR 4320, start at the bottom and work your way up. Maybe I'm wasting my time with this post, dealing with you when you say jeff has never shot solids, but you're gonna blow yourself up or blind yourself if you continue the way you are. I hate to see anyone get hurt or killed for no real reason. Forget all you've done so far and listen to Ray.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTM:
Comon Jeff, Shootaway will do the challenge with one ring behind his back!!! shocker

Good one! rotflmo
Shoothataway: One ring shy of a pair as always.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
To wear out barrels this fast, I have to think being too aggressive with JB, and probably too loose with the cleaning rod, could be the culprit.

Over-exuberance with JBs and contact of dirty rod on rifling in throat is a "relatively" common way to wreck/prematurely wear out a barrel, as I hear.

I can hardly picture it though....one would have to get really carried away I'd think.

There is no way even 150 ultra-hot loads in a 458 Lott should wear a barrel to the point of keyholing 500gr bullets.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use JB on a patch on a copper bore brush until copper is no longer visible on and under the lands(aprox 40 strokes),or until the rifle groups to my satisfaction.

40 strokes with JB at each cleaning session?
shoothataway has a rifle that is not .458 caliber anymore. Best bet would be to just keep cleaning it until it becomes a smoothbore and then just use it for shot loads at the skeet range.

Stop the cleaning process when it slugs .460" smooth bore.

A new cartridge is in the making: 460 Shott
"460 Shoothataway-Lott."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
I use JB on a patch on a copper bore brush until copper is no longer visible on and under the lands(aprox 40 strokes),or until the rifle groups to my satisfaction.

40 strokes with JB at each cleaning session?
shoothataway has a rifle that is not .458 caliber anymore. Best bet would be to just keep cleaning it until it becomes a smoothbore and then just use it for shot loads at the skeet range.

Stop the cleaning process when it slugs .460" smooth bore.

A new cartridge is in the making: 460 Shott
"460 Shoothataway-Lott."

animalanimalanimalanimalanimal

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if I was missing something on this thread ., ., Shoothataway telling Jeffe he has never shot a solid is about all I need to read ... Ya,ll have a nice time ... wave

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This whole thread just boggles what's left of my mind. I gave the guy some good advice, but he likely won't take it.

This guy has to be a troll. Some kinky individual out there jacking all of us around and laughing his ass off at the explosions of temper, surgical cynicism, and well-intentioned information. I just can't see this guy running around loose on the public with a Lott. That's a scary thought. With the right solid, that rifle will play hell with a Brinks's Truck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave him alone! He's just looking to kill that pesky wabbit. Big Grin Shotaway, pull those earflaps down, sinch em up tight, load the Lott with a caseful of bullseye and your favorite 500 grainer, blow that pesky wittle bunny to smitheweens.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
This whole thread just boggles what's left of my mind. I gave the guy some good advice, but he likely won't take it.

This guy has to be a troll. Some kinky individual out there jacking all of us around and laughing his ass off at the explosions of temper, surgical cynicism, and well-intentioned information. I just can't see this guy running around loose on the public with a Lott. That's a scary thought. With the right solid, that rifle will play hell with a Brinks's Truck.

Jet

As I wrote earlier. there is NO WAY that this guy is for real. He is screwing with everybody for his own amusement. It is not possible to be this stupid and still be alive.

This is Cats or carmello or another of our infamous trolls.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta be. Nobody could be that stupid and know how to type or even feed himself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of you have one thing in common and that is you know nothing about shooting rifles.You also have no desire to learn either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of you have one thing in common and that is you know nothing about shooting rifles.You also have no desire to learn either.

Right, pal. Been shooting since I was 11, am 65 now, and have taken at least one more Cape buffalo than you have. Plus, I can shoot solids, too. and damned near everything else from a Hi Standard 22 to a .458. You are certifiable and it is beyond me how or why anyone would sell you a firearm. Of course you're not real, just a figment of some psycho's imagination, so I just wasted thirty seconds of my life typing this. troll

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bsflag

donttroll

troll troll troll troll troll

killpc

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cleaning rods will ruin barrels, JB Compound will not! The use of a rog guide is highly recommended..I think more barrels are ruined from cleaning than from shooting...I still like Wipe Out and I like the bore snakes..My rods are solid and they are stainless steel only...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would question that you got all the lead out of the barrel before you started shooting jacketed bullets. Shooting jacketed bullets over lead is a bad thing! Makes cleaning a barrel really tough and could maybe cause the bullets to keyhole. Contrary to what the experts here say, JB would take you a couple of years to wear a barrel out working 24 hours a day.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
... JB would take you a couple of years to wear a barrel out working 24 hours a day.

shoothataway:
According to the other experts here you better get back to strokin' that rod and finish your new wildcat, the "460 Shott." It is going to take a lot more work with the grittiest rod you can find, a steel bristle brush, and many more patches full of JB bore paste to get to that perfect smoothbore .460-caliber. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
I would question that you got all the lead out of the barrel before you started shooting jacketed bullets. Shooting jacketed bullets over lead is a bad thing! Makes cleaning a barrel really tough and could maybe cause the bullets to keyhole. Contrary to what the experts here say, JB would take you a couple of years to wear a barrel out working 24 hours a day.
Pegleg,I always make sure my barrels are cleaned to the metal before I test any loads or after every three rds.In the condition this barrel is in, after todays shooting,it will do for a hunting trip if you are not taking it to seriously.If you want the self confidence in taking a really accurate shot at 100yds, then don't count on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP,I am not going to stroke that barrel much longer.I will get the rifle rebarrelled instead..