Find
Notify
Tools

Lott Load Development Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
RIP,I am not going to stroke that barrel much longer.I will get the rifle rebarrelled instead..

Excellent idea shootaway! That is the proper solution to this problem. When in doubt R&R it works every time..

thumb

Make sure and lap this one with a course valve grinding compound and use a DeWalt 18V drill on high speed to do it with. That'll get the grit out and smooth the rough edges.

hillbilly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about whether he has the shooting side worked out yet, but he sure seems to have the stroking deal down pat.

Maybe an AR screen name change is in order - from "Shootaway" to "Strokeaway".

All those in favor?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you wonder why we have trouble with Quebec. moon

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stop posting this gargbage on my threads.Some of you have nothing to contribute and just show up on my thread to post garbage.I am sick and tired of this, especially when I have never posted on any of your threads.A joke from time to time is ok but this is ridiculous.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suretrike....That was just rude of you to post that picture and say it was of our resident Lott aficianado.....plain RUDE!!!!

This is the real Shootaway.....

This picture was taken from the undedited video of Shootaway shooting his Lott. This was in the beginning of the video before he put on his shooting jacket..... he cut it out to shorten the video....Big Grin

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch!! Eeker

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
silwane -- yikes! That is an image that's frightening!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed a reduction in velocity between new and reused cases, with the resized cases giving lower velocities.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also noticed a reduction in velocity between new and reused cases with the resized cases giving lower velocities.

Interesting! Why do you think this is happening? Could it be the case volume has increased ever so slightly? What about the differences in new and once fired brass?
What kind of velocity drops are you experiencing?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say it was from 25 to 75fps.I measured the case length and there doesn't seem much of an increase.However,the width of the case is .002 to .003 larger on the resized case.This is what I think is responsible for the drop in velocity.

Picture of 458LP
posted Hide Post
Dear shootaway:

I really recomend you to buy some good reloding manuals and start over again. If you forget the basic you are done pal.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel again¡. Read those books, start taking TRUE measurement from your rifle( barrel, lands, chamber,free bore etc) and will save you a lot of problems and also from a serious accident.

I have an ENCORE in 458 Lott and I can make 1/2 inch groups easy at 100yds with any kind of powder. I try all kinds of powders and loads, but as someone recomended you since begining,TAKE SOME BRAND NEW STOCK AMMO and star from beginig before you get hurted.

About your last question: I dont know what means trim down my Lott cases after 3 or more shoots each, I dont know what means neither a full sizing and also I dont know now experience all kind of crazy and dangerous problems you are experiencing but we are here to help you. But please start from the basic again, most of the time we forgot the basic, the begining of all the answers.

DP

Posts: 8 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of 458LP
posted Hide Post
Very nice from you. Couldnt expect nothing better.

Maybe I cannot write in English too fluently because is not my native language but something is sure: you dont need to have any degree to show your poor education and your short mind with your vocabulary.

You are the rigth candidate to be ordered as a meatloaf menu for few bucks in any african country.

Never despise nor understimate people you dont know and specialy in forums.

Please take a shower with some cooper remover, so you will remove some foulling specially from your mounth and maybe will leave you a better breath.

DP

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silwane:
Suretrike....That was just rude of you to post that picture and say it was of our resident Lott aficianado.....plain RUDE!!!!

This is the real Shootaway.....

This picture was taken from the undedited video of Shootaway shooting his Lott. This was in the beginning of the video before he put on his shooting jacket..... he cut it out to shorten the video....Big Grin

Do you guys think we can avoid these stupid and insulting pictures?

And of course, Shootaway, you won't make many friends here with your kindergarten comments.

Don

Posts: 26540 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
458LP,I am SURE you FLUNKED kindergarden.

Where the heck did that come from??

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
English is my second language... My first was baby talk.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lott will know no longer get on paper.Here are some bullets I found in the sand pile after the snow melted from the last shooting sessions.[URL= ]1[/URL] The last image shows the difference in depth the lands were engraved on the same woodleighs shot possibly before and after the lands wore out.It is not that clear from this pic but it is when you see them in real.lott practice/no feed

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many rounds thru the barrel now?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see some possibilities.
1. The cold shrunk the bullets.
2. Some dork sold shootaway some .423 cal.
3. CZ's are worse than I thought. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I shouldn,t ,,,,but ,,,,,
How did you do that ? Didn,t you just get that rifle last year ,,,,,,?????? How far away was the sand backstop ?? bewildered

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of 458LP
posted Hide Post
Looseraway homer: in my opinion you have two options.

Choose the one you consider the best.

a-Throw away the barrel and put a new one, dont waste more time and money plus hard time figthing with people.

b-Change the one behind the load bench with one with a better sense of humor.

By the way, here is some KINDERGARTEN shoots test from my Lott at 100 yd during Scope setup 4 years ago.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
......Those TSX bullets look like they traveled aways thru snow to slow them down before they hit the back stop ....... What velocity were they chronographing at .?? Nice shootin 458LP , what rifle ,load ect . ??

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2250fps

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
458LP -- nice shooting!! beer

Semper Fidelis

Picture of 458LP
posted Hide Post
Gumboot: I´m agree with you. Those bullets never exeed 2000.
The only reason I can find for such failure and assuming that speed declared, is twist rate too slow.So the spin was not enougth to open the petals in the rigth manner even if the bullets were at slow speed. The spin velocity never decrease (gyroscopic efect)as fast as speed and is responsable for deep penetration in heavy tissue while the speed decrease. A good big bore needs 1-14 to take advantage of a solid bullet. The best advantage will be with with 1-12 and best 1-10 (shorter distance shootings).

About my rifle. Is a toy I make for fun, an simple ENCORE. Loads are the from BARNES 2 book before the banded bullets came out. I duplicate all speeds published in the book. THe only powder I couldnt use was Reloader 15 due out of market. Before reload by myself, 458Lott was not commercial like now so I decided to buy some test loads from SAFARY ARMS first and try http://www.safariarms.com/ and those loads are the one you can see on pictures above.THe owner John, is a serious guy, no BS.
I meet him and start to deal this loads just few weeks before Sep 11 happend .Later I make my owns having same and also better results due I could find some extra details in my barrel and chamber wich makes me to gain me easy 100 fps more per load without increasing presure. I lowered the presure while I increase the bullet speed and I didnt test banded bullet yet.

This details will be detailed soon.

Like I told at begining when someone told me something regarding to back to school, we cant expect to have the best performance of our gun if we dont know how many details are hiden inside. Every barrel has his own signature and like childs, they can born healty or sick. Some can survive and live longer, others just die after birth.

DP

one of us
posted Hide Post
The creep or travel on the CZ trigger has gotten really bad after a couple of hundred rounds. This is a trigger that can't stand up to recoil.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, I don't understand why you are having so many perceived problems with your CZ after so little use. I also had a CZ 550 Lott with many more rounds through it than what you purportedly have put through yours, and there were no problems whatsoever with the way it shot. It could certainly stand up to the recoil that it generated. Could it be the operator??

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Send to AHR and have it made into a good rifle.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Shootaway, I don't understand why you are having so many perceived problems with your CZ after so little use. I also had a CZ 550 Lott with many more rounds through it than what you purportedly have put through yours, and there were no problems whatsoever with the way it shot. It could certainly stand up to the recoil that it generated. Could it be the operator??
I had a world class gunmaker point out the problem with the trigger on my Lott beforehand.So,I doubt it is the operator.You are forgetting that I am also a SHOOTING BALLERINA!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:You are forgetting that I am also a SHOOTING BALLERINA!

Gee, guess I forgot....... shocker

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, do us all a favor and sell the damn rifle. I swear you have to be suffering from some sort of advanced mental illness.
You see, unless by some sort of really extreme fluke where you got a bunk rifle, which is highly unlikely, you should not be having these problems with this rifle. I've owned one, a lot of other people have owned one, and yeah complaints come out because they're a $1,000 rifle. Of course it's gonna be a bit rough, however not my point. If this rifle is so shot out and going on the wayside, have you made any attempts to contact the company of this rifle? I'm sure they'd love to see it and may possibly reimburse you for your mental trauma of owning such a horrible rifle. Maybe that world class gunsmith, which we'd all love to hear his name, can help you out and give you some pointers.
By the way, if you're going to make a feeble attempt at saying I've got mental problems, go for it. I'm a registered rapid phase bipolar. I know I'm crazy but at least I can admit it.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:You are forgetting that I am also a SHOOTING BALLERINA!

That's not something to be bragging about, is your tutu pink?

stir

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Metalsmith,aside from the feeding problem and there fragile trigger there is nothing wrong with a CZ 550 rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway- When you clean your rifle and look down the bore, does the rifling look OK? I can't imagine how the bullets are not being engraved as your last pictures show. What do you think is going on? Could it be the solids being shot down a smokin' hot bore?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pegleg,the barrel never got hot.The way I see it is that for a magnum catridge rifle to shoot accurately the bore has to be like new.From my experience with the Lott,I feel that copper bullets and hard jacketed solids are extremely hard on the lands.The Lott is capable of shooting solids accurately only when its bore is like new.